• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Couldn't find any threads about this through search but might not be using the right terms.

At EVO Japan 2018 it seems SNK announced that King of Fighters '97 would be the latest Neo Geo port to PC/PS4/Vita (presumably by Code Mystics again). Online matches included but otherwise couldn't see any other details in the article:

http://www.4gamer.net/games/408/G040815/20180128009/

001.jpg

Seems a slightly odd choice considering '98 is widely regarded as the best?

vinnykappa

Oct 27, 2017
Are they gonna nerf some bullshit chars? (looking at Daimon and Chang)
And those infinite combos? And a bunch of supers so overpowered that the community has to enforce custom rules? (looking at Iori)

Otherwise the online would be a shitshow.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I like KoF 97 as much as the next guy but this is pretty weird release.
Then again it is the most popular KoF game in China, so this is primarly aimed at the Chinese market for one thing.
Regardless, I'd get this if it is $10 or less, no way am I paying USD 20 for this, ESPECIALLY when it is ALREADY on PS4 via ACA Neo Geo.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Code Mystics does great ports of arcade classics, so I do hope it's them.

Not my favorite KoF but always glad to see the series kept relevant by bringing back quality past entries.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
That's interesting. Will they add new characters, or is this just rebalanced KOF '97 with online?

If I could remake a KOF, it'd be 2001.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Ohh

I can't wait for this.

Cross Play included? It's strange that it's skipping Xbox this time around considering what last gen had, though.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Awesome! KoF 97 is one of my favorite fighters of all time!
It will be great with online play!

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
What a nice surprise. Now hurry up and release Sengoku 3 for PS4/Vita please SNK!

Adding Vita is odd. Did '98 get a vita port?
How is this odd? This is most likely a Code Mystics port and just like the rest (Metal Slug 3, Garou: MOTW, The Last Blade 2, Samurai Shodown V Special) they're on both PS4 and Vita.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017
Well, we have to wait till next year for a 25TH Anniversary Collection like SF, don't we? Bummer, but I'll definitely buy this later.

I don't think UM is on PS4 yet.

Yep, the final edition (arcade port) isn't but the PS2 version's port in the KoF collection on PSP. I thought this was the arcade port in the ACA NeoGeo series of releases that's already on PSN. Wonder what's different here other than online play?

Why can't SNK have the NeoGeo ACA games support online play

Precisely.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France

Game was probably too far in development
Or
The logo didn't look good on the poster
Or
Nintendo platforms owners only buy Nintendo games
Or
There isn't any audience for fighting games on Switch
Or
Devs didn't have any devkit
Or
Lol Nintendo

Pick any, each of them is as stupid as the other ones.

Edit : sorry if it wasn't clear, this is sarcasm
Not porting this on the switch does not really makes sense, *shrugs*

Last edited:

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
Yep, the final edition (arcade port) isn't but the PS2 version's port in the KoF collection on PSP. I thought this was the arcade port in the ACA NeoGeo series of releases that's already on PSN. Wonder what's different here other than online play?
Based on what we got previously, practice mode and gallery mode.

Oh, and worse trophies. :P

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Or
Or
Or
Or
Or
Lol Nintendo

Non of your reasons are in any way a plausible reason for this game not being on the Switch
First off Hamster releases SNK/Neo Geo games on the Switch and I think 97 is on there if not in the pipeline. Last I checked, KoF 98 was among the top selling Hamster releases, and Capcom are releasing the SF collection on there too.

Were the game to release on Switch, it could get released eventually. I'm still holding onto the likelyness that because they want to appeal to the Chinese market with this release, it's getting released on PS4 and PC for one thing. Vita is just an addendum since it shouldn't be too difficult to port it onto there.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I love 97 but the balance is broken as hell in this game. It's still my favorite in terms of new character roster and story.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or
Or
Or
Or
Or
Lol Nintendo

1. this is a port... also the game exists on switch already .. without online play but still.
2. dunno if this is a reason
3. that is true to some extent but hamsters aca games sold 1 million combined. pretty good for romdumps. also i dont know if vita is a more potent system at this point although it seems to be for some devs.
4. that is simply not true. arms, xenoverse 2, pokken, usf2 and the mentioned aca games (which are predominantly fighting games) sold well.
5. this might be the case. hamster certainly seems to have dev kits but dunno if its the same with code mystics
6. lol

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
why play 97 when you have 98? This makes no sense and the only reason I see it being done is Chinese nostalgia.

OP
OP
Kresnik

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017

97 is my favorite KOF title, so I'm really glad they're doing this! Cannot fucking wait!!!

Awesome! KoF 97 is one of my favorite fighters of all time!
It will be great with online play!

Well, that's very nice then. I hadn't seen many people list it as their favourite (I tended to see '98 > '02 > random order of some of the others) so it's good to see there is a fanbase out there for this one.

Now do Fatal Fury Special pls

They need to do an Art of Fighting game next then Code Mystics will have handled pretty much one entry in all of SNK's long-running fighting franchises.

It's a shame all the AoF games have aged pretty badly :P

Yikes.

I mean the most likely option is option Z - the port is assisted in some way by Sony's Third Party Productions team just like Metal Slug 3/Last Blade 2/Garou/SamSho V Special were over the past ~ 2 years.

(And those mostly still came to PC, before that question pops up)

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
Non of your reasons are in any way a plausible reason for this game not being on the Switch
First off Hamster releases SNK/Neo Geo games on the Switch and I think 97 is on there if not in the pipeline. Last I checked, KoF 98 was among the top selling Hamster releases, and Capcom are releasing the SF collection on there too.

Were the game to release on Switch, it could get released eventually. I'm still holding onto the likelyness that because they want to appeal to the Chinese market with this release, it's getting released on PS4 and PC for one thing. Vita is just an addendum since it shouldn't be too difficult to port it onto there.
The Code Mystics ports were done with the help from Sony's third-party productions team, so they'll most probably remain exclusive to PS platforms.
https://www.polygon.com/2016/7/16/12206424/garou-mark-of-the-wolves-ps4-playstation-vita-snk
SNK will release a port of classic Neo Geo fighting game Garou: Mark of the Wolves for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita with the help of Sony's third-party productions team.
SNK and Sony's third-party productions team have previously collaborated to bring games like Metal Slug 3 and The Last Blade 2 to PS4 and Vita.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
1. this is a port... also the game exists on switch already .. without online play but still.
2. dunno if this is a reason
3. that is true to some extent but hamsters aca games sold 1 million combined. pretty good for romdumps. also i dont know if vita is a more potent system at this point although it seems to be for some devs.
4. that is simply not true. arms, xenoverse 2, pokken, usf2 and the mentioned aca games (which are predominantly fighting games) sold well.
5. this might be the case. hamster certainly seems to have dev kits but dunno if its the same with code mystics
6. lol
Indeed, it was sarcasm, sorry if it wasn't clear enough.

At this point, we'd better laugh than cry about this cause this kind of decision definitely does not make any sense as the usual excuses do not fit into the switch.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Indeed, it was sarcasm, sorry if it wasn't clear enough.

At this point, we'd better laugh than cry about this cause this kind of decision definitely does not make any sense as the usual excuses do not fit into the switch.
the question also is if anyone would buy this on switch. the same game came out a few months ago. anybody who likes neogeo fighters probably already bought it.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Or
Or
Or
Or
Or
Lol Nintendo

Edit : sorry if it wasn't clear, this is sarcasm
Not porting this on the switch does not really makes sense, *shrugs*

Or no D-Pad maybe?

OP
OP
Kresnik

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Ha yes, that's probably why they didn't release their arcade archive on switch.

Come on, this is all bullshit lol

Both myself & Mao2 pointed out above that Sony Third Party Productions were involved in the last 4 Code Mystics Neo Geo ports.

Why are we still getting upset over no Switch?

Rymuth

Oct 26, 2017
Well, that's very nice then. I hadn't seen many people list it as their favourite (I tended to see '98 > '02 > random order of some of the others) so it's good to see there is a fanbase out there for this one.
We're definitely in the minority but we exist. Orochi was a great boss to bookend the story arc.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
SNK is so consistent lately. I'm happy they got out of the pachinko business.

I prefer 99 myself. 97 was pretty fun as well, if I remembered correctly.