• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Damn is the King card even doable you need 100000 points and so little AP ;_;

And lest not talk about festival Athena...
Festival Athena is definitely doable. My Shermie has been destroying her and I'm on pace to recruit her days before her event closes. It would be an absolute strain if you cant do it on Lunatic though

Ynnek7

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I spent all of my luck getting Orochi Iori. Just did four 10 pulls on the Halloween Banner and missed out on all of them. I'll see how many gems I have before the end of the event and decide if I want to try working towards the guaranteed one.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
How many rubies do you get from the story? I've spent 1900 so far between the Step Up for Kyo 95 and an Orochi pull (which failed)

Oh and should I hurry up and use my selection ticket and unlimited? I have Kyo like I said and my summons so far haven't given me anyone noteworthy.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reading through this entire thread...I apologize in advance for the very dumb question but:

Am I playing this wrong?

I'm just playing some minutes each day completing the story (I like to use KOF 97 characters, Kyo, Benimaru and Goro) . I play it like a regular side scroller.

I just buy some special characters and increase their stats....

I havent "re rolled" (or whatever that is) and I have not focused on particular characters outside of my personal preference. What am I missing?

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Reading through this entire thread...I apologize in advance for the very dumb question but:

Am I playing this wrong?

I'm just playing some minutes each day completing the story (I like to use KOF 97 characters, Kyo, Benimaru and Goro) . I play it like a regular side scroller.

I just buy some special characters and increase their stats....

I havent "re rolled" (or whatever that is) and I have not focused on particular characters outside of my personal preference. What am I missing?

I've been pondering this myself. For the most part it is fine to not go all in on the "meta". Often this is for optimization and efficiency but if you're enjoying the game and characters, who cares?

On the flip side, you don't want to ignore strong characters entirely because sometimes they might carry you when you need/want it most. In gacha games one of the frequent early top concerns is clear speeds. This typically enables you to progress faster and get more currencies to level/pull characters/limit break etc.

In terms of building your characters. Some things to consider are
1. Leader Skill - Having this character as your first fighter will enable this passive buff that affects the entire team.
2. Core Buffs - These are passive buffs, some characters get more offense while others get more defense.
3. Attacks - Some characters have different attacks depending on which version.

I would say the game majorly favours strong offense. Not only do you clear faster but never do you see objectives such as eat 30 hits from the boss. Instead you have objectives such as don't get hit more than 20 times, this typically translate to beat enemies faster to mitigate risks. This is why Shermie seems great, attack buff while above 70% hp will work for all characters. I haven't got her yet, I'm still deciding if I want to use my ticket for her but this leader skill alone seems worth considering because of its usefulness.

I will say however, sometimes playing with my preferred characters who clear slower and I need to pay more attention to because they are, overall, a bit weaker turns out to be a bit more fun. Then again, sometimes I go up against bosses and they stop flinching. This is significantly less fun... Might just be I was too low a level though.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Has anyone pulled 3 times on step up? I see a card selector in there. Does this let you pick purple/skill cards for any character? I might have to halt Orochi pulls to get this.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
How good are '99 Maxima and '95 King?

I kind of want to pull Maxima because I have K' and '99 Benimaru and can make the Hero Team.

Last edited:

Reszo

Oct 31, 2017
What exactly do the codex rewards do? I see they are increasing stats but do those apply to specific characters or what

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I did a third multi-pull and managed to get Halloween Angel. She was the second character I wanted most from this banner, with Kula being number one (since she'd pair well with Orochi Iori). I'm not sure whether I should keep trying for her or try to grab Angel's Special Card now. Before anything, I'll need to grind some more gems. :/

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Got H.Shermie and H.Mature, but neither of the girls I wanted. If I start rerolling I need to do it today, so I don't miss out on halloween login bonuses... But restarting the grind for King's special sounds unfun.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
SOLD!

She is probably currently my favourite fighter in the game even if not the most effective one. Guess I need to find where this is, I thought I found most of the things already.
You hit Battle on the main screen and then choose events. It should pop up right away for you. If you have King it's definitely worth the grind, and as I said you get a lot of other stuff out of it too. The characters/cards that grant you bonus points are shown in the bottom, so include as many of those as you can to speed things up a bit.

Happy grinding!

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Screenshot_2019-10-28-12-50-50-745_com.netmarble.kofg.png

it hurts

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
You hit Battle on the main screen and then choose events. It should pop up right away for you. If you have King it's definitely worth the grind, and as I said you get a lot of other stuff out of it too. The characters/cards that grant you bonus points are shown in the bottom, so include as many of those as you can to speed things up a bit.

Happy grinding!

Do you know if you need these characters in your team? I think I have most of these excepting K' who I tried to pull for but ended up with Kyo 95.

That was pretty much my last 3 orochi pulls.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
screenshot_20191028-0uxkxd.jpg
capturep9kcg.png

Looks like I can keep the account after all! Got Halloween Kula in about 4 10 rolls with her opiton and Special card in about 3 more~

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Got H.Shermie and H.Mature, but neither of the girls I wanted. If I start rerolling I need to do it today, so I don't miss out on halloween login bonuses... But restarting the grind for King's special sounds unfun.

Aw damn, sorry to head, man. :/ Make sure you exhaust all the free gems you can find around before rerolling.

And her card. Congrats!

Thanks Chrono! No H. Angel though. :(

It would be nice, but I can wait for OG Angel randomly down the line. I gotta save (for girl Chang Koehan).

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Can I use them as striker? Does the later stages get tough? Sorry for the 101 questions. Heh
No worries about the questions, we've all been there, haha.

I'm not sure if you can use them as a striker to get the bonus or not, I haven't tried. It SHOULD work, since they're still technically in your party, but I can't say definitively. You'll know when you finish a stage, as it'll tell you what your bonus is. Just calculate what you have in your striker slots (and how much they're worth) as well as what the support is worth and see what the end result is. It's a good idea, I might give it a try myself. It's probably why there are as many bonus characters as there are, so you can fill your entire team with them.

As for difficulty, the very latest stage has the boss at Level 65, so you'll definitely want to level your characters a bit for that, as well as unlock some cores for them. You can farm the lower EX stages if you find it a bit too hard, though your gain won't be quite as much (though it costs less AP, so it's hard to say just how less efficient it'll be).

Thanks Chrono! No H. Angel though. :(

It would be nice, but I can wait for OG Angel randomly down the line. I gotta save (for girl Chang Koehan).
I'm tempted to try for Angel's card but I just know the game will give me one of the other three I don't have the character for, and since they're not usabble on their default versions (AFAIK?)...

Ugh. Gacha Hell never ends, I tell ya! Good luck on that Chang Koehan when she comes around, hope you get her!

Tier List

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Why is Halloween Kula so hyped? Is she as good as Orochi Iori?
Orochi Iori is still better, but not by a whole lot. The good thing about Halloween Kula is her freeze, which can affect enemies with Super Armor, and the good thing about Halloween Angel is her poison (it's super potent when you max out all of her skills/level, allowing you to take chunks of the enemies' health off by simply applying it and evading).

Here's Altema's tier list:

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Orochi Iori is still better, but not by a whole lot. The good thing about Halloween Kula is her freeze, which can affect enemies with Super Armor, and the good thing about Halloween Angel is her poison (it's super potent when you max out all of her skills/level, allowing you to take chunks of the enemies' health off by simply applying it and evading).

Here's Altema's (translated) tier list:

[/URL]
Cool, thanks.

I'm less inclined to pull on the Halloween banner, as I prefer rolling for beefcakes. I do like Kula as a character though.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Cool, thanks.

I'm less inclined to pull on the Halloween banner, as I prefer rolling for beefcakes. I do like Kula as a character though.
Two out of the four Halloween characters aren't the best (Shelmie and Mature), but even then they're still solid characters. Kula and Angel are the two prizes, with the former being the second strongest purple and latter the fifth strongest.

That being said, if you don't love the characters, save your gems! Always pull for your favorites, you can never lose that way. Well, unless you fail to pull them, of course.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Did two 10 pulls on the Halloween banner and got Kula. I hope I'm this lucky in the future when they start adding more hunks. (Halloween Heidern from the JPN version looks really nice...)

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got them all eventually (had to use the selector ticket on Kula), as well as their special move cards (helps that Shermie's is available in the exchange shop). I think I'm good for now. Can't think of any character I'd want for gameplay reasons anymore, and my personal favorites I don't already have (Sylvie and Geese) are either far from release or free. I might try for Garou Terry when he eventually comes out in global. Same for Rock if he ever makes it in.

I can see this game sticking around for a while with their two separate banners to complete a character, plus giving people in game currency for watching paid ads. Never seen that before in a gacha game, but it's genius.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Any suggestions for low investment evolution characters? Just trying to complete some missions.

Got them all eventually (had to use the selector ticket on Kula), as well as their special move cards (helps that Shermie's is available in the exchange shop). I think I'm good for now. Can't think of any character I'd want for gameplay reasons anymore, and my personal favorites I don't already have (Sylvie and Geese) are either far from release or free. I might try for Garou Terry when he eventually comes out in global. Same for Rock if he ever makes it in.

I can see this game sticking around for a while with their two separate banners to complete a character, plus giving people in game currency for watching paid ads. Never seen that before in a gacha game, but it's genius.
Where can you watch ads?

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Any suggestions for low investment evolution characters? Just trying to complete some missions.

Where can you watch ads?
Two places I've found so far. When you run out of AP, you can click the "+" sign to refill it. One of the options is to watch an ad to get 50 AP back. Can do this 5 times, and I think it refills daily (did it once yesterday, and now it's back to 5/5).

The other is in the shop under the "Recommended Items" tab. I was able to get one of the "Daily Special Package" by watching an ad. I have no idea if this is a one time thing or not, I'll have to check tomorrow. Got 30 rubies and an item ticket out of it.

I use iOS devices, so I can only speak for them. Not sure if the same thing is available on Android, but I'd be shocked if it wasn't.

Jun 23, 2019
AAARRRRRGGGGHHHH I dropped another $20 and still didn't get Orochi Iori. Then I did a Halloween pull and didn't get shit. I'm about to delete this stupid ass game.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Two places I've found so far. When you run out of AP, you can click the "+" sign to refill it. One of the options is to watch an ad to get 50 AP back. Can do this 5 times, and I think it refills daily (did it once yesterday, and now it's back to 5/5).

The other is in the shop under the "Recommended Items" tab. I was able to get one of the "Daily Special Package" by watching an ad. I have no idea if this is a one time thing or not, I'll have to check tomorrow. Got 30 rubies and an item ticket out of it.

I use iOS devices, so I can only speak for them. Not sure if the same thing is available on Android, but I'd be shocked if it wasn't.
Thanks. 👍

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
Orochi banner or Holloween banner?

I know Orochi Iori is the best of the bunch but is holloween comparable or have better overall stuff?

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Ok this is getting absurd. It's not even about not getting Kula. at this point I''ve not gotten a single halloween unit. I got 3 on my main. I feel like there's some block that prevents new accounts from pulling featured units, cuz this luck is comparatively nonsense.

Persil

Oct 27, 2017
I caved and started using O. Iori, he's just too good. Also pulled H. Kula. Seems like its gonna be a real grind to get them fully powered and leveled up. Are the daily spirit challenges the best way to get spirit points for limit breaking these rare characters??

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I caved and started using O. Iori, he's just too good. Also pulled H. Kula. Seems like its gonna be a real grind to get them fully powered and leveled up. Are the daily spirit challenges the best way to get spirit points for limit breaking these rare characters??
Yep. I checked and if you want enough to get from LV 60 to LV90, you need to 50 days worth of souls from Soul Quest. Shit sucks, but it's how they get you to stick around.

You can also get colored souls to help, but those are a pain in the ass to get as well. Rainbow, KOF Purple, KOF Gold, and AS Gold souls seem to be tied to paid bundles and special events only.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I've been pondering this myself. For the most part it is fine to not go all in on the "meta". Often this is for optimization and efficiency but if you're enjoying the game and characters, who cares?

On the flip side, you don't want to ignore strong characters entirely because sometimes they might carry you when you need/want it most. In gacha games one of the frequent early top concerns is clear speeds. This typically enables you to progress faster and get more currencies to level/pull characters/limit break etc.

In terms of building your characters. Some things to consider are
1. Leader Skill - Having this character as your first fighter will enable this passive buff that affects the entire team.
2. Core Buffs - These are passive buffs, some characters get more offense while others get more defense.
3. Attacks - Some characters have different attacks depending on which version.

I would say the game majorly favours strong offense. Not only do you clear faster but never do you see objectives such as eat 30 hits from the boss. Instead you have objectives such as don't get hit more than 20 times, this typically translate to beat enemies faster to mitigate risks. This is why Shermie seems great, attack buff while above 70% hp will work for all characters. I haven't got her yet, I'm still deciding if I want to use my ticket for her but this leader skill alone seems worth considering because of its usefulness.

I will say however, sometimes playing with my preferred characters who clear slower and I need to pay more attention to because they are, overall, a bit weaker turns out to be a bit more fun. Then again, sometimes I go up against bosses and they stop flinching. This is significantly less fun... Might just be I was too low a level though.

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide context, insight and some very useful tips.

I think I get it a bit more now. But, all of that optimization seems a bit like "speed-running" through the game, maximizing everything...I just want to see a recreation of my favorite KOFs story with new art and expanded lore, so I will keep playing it my own way (like a sidescroller A to B game).

Im really impressed with the 2D art and animation, as well as some of the 3D background recreations, and the fact that you see the difference in years in the character art. This game, with much less "gacha" could have been an official Switch release (or similar).