• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.dualshockers.com/snk-in...-gender-bent-terry-rebooting-old-series-much/

With Heroines and the 40th Anniversary Collection on the Switch, I asked Oda-san if the team was considering a port of The King of Fighters XIV on Nintendo's console. There are some technical hurdles to clear to make sure that the game would perform well, but if those could be solved, it "would definitely be a possibility."

There are internal talks about The King of Fighters XV, but it's "really super-super early" and nothing has been decided at this time. It's not even in pre-production.

Oh damn! This would be the first mainline KOF game on a Nintendo system after I think 2001 which is the most recent on Switch via Arcade Archives, plus it'd be the only non-Neo Geo entry ever on a Nintendo system.

The PC version, as well as SNK Heronies on Switch were both by Abstraction Games, so naturally I'd say it'd be certain that they'd be back for the job. Now yes, SNK Heroines was mostly 30fps (only had tiny bits of 60fps during cutscenes), but maybe after more experience and porting a completed game might give them the ability to make it 60fps? Maybe? Please? :P

I also wonder if NISA would publish it as opposed to Atlus since NISA already has a good relationship with SNK for their two Switch games so far with SNK Heroines and SNK 40th Anniversary Collection.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think you may have misunderstood the "really super-super early" part.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
So they're actually working on it it seems?

Also yeah, the early part is about KOFXV, I don't see that releasing in the next 3 years or so.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Eh, honestly, if it's to run like SNK Heroines, I'm not convinced that's a good idea...
Bring XIII instead, or just plan your next games for it from the start or actually put a good studio on it.

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
Here, I see why I got confused. I saw this at Go Nintendo, and RMC put that bit in himself, so HE got that part mixed up too! :P

https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/321873-the-king-of-fighters-xiv-being-considered-for-switch

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen an interview of mine reported this inaccurately since the time Gamespot tried to make it look like Yu Suzuki was seriously considering an Xbox One port for Shenmue III.

Edit: Ok, maybe I'm being a bit too harsh, but yeah, the super-super-early part is about a possible KOFXV, not a Switch port of XIV.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Not your goof, when I saw the title on Twitter I was already pretty sure of where the goof could have originated :D

Also, you're welcome :D

I wonder if you could've asked about the prior KOF games like XI, XII, and XIII on Switch. Would be nice if Hamster got Sega to allow them to get Atomiswave emulation in the Arcade Archives series...

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Eh, honestly, if it's to run like SNK Heroines, I'm not convinced that's a good idea...
Bring XIII instead, or just plan your next games for it from the start or actually put a good studio on it.

I'd like to think that the next Samurai Shodown game being on UE4, along with the next KOF game hinted to be such as well, would mean things would stand to be different.

XIV's custom engine was good to give SNK experience with 3D, but I'm glad they're moving on to something much more standardized.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Just keep the switch version internal and give it the time it needs.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reminder: SNK Heroines runs at sub-native resolution and 30fps undocked.

For contrast, DB Fighterz runs at a smooth 60fps undocked.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
SNK Heroines must be doing well on the platform, I guess an XIV port makes sense since they use the same engine.

Agree that Samsho needs priority though. Port that to Switch/PC/AC.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It did around 30k physical on two platforms.
SNK Heroines did around 10k physical.

That said, fighting games in japan are selling a lot less than years ago.

From Madman's Cafe, physical launch week numbers:

Blazblue Cross Tag Battle - 15,967 units (PS4+Switch)
SNK Heroines - 15,511 units (PS4+Switch)
Guilty Gear Xrd Rev2 - 10,609 units (PS4)
Undernight In-Birth Exe:Late[st] - 5,013 units (PS4)

Soul Calibur VI - 24,049 units (PS4)
The King Of Fighters XIV - 20,655 units (PS4)

Heroines had a tiny budget in comparison to something like XVI of SCIV, I don't think it will be hard for it to become profitable.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
From Madman's Cafe, physical launch week numbers:

Blazblue Cross Tag Battle - 15,967 units (PS4+Switch)
SNK Heroines - 15,511 units (PS4+Switch)
Guilty Gear Xrd Rev2 - 10,609 units (PS4)
Undernight In-Birth Exe:Late[st] - 5,013 units (PS4)

Soul Calibur VI - 24,049 units (PS4)
The King Of Fighters XIV - 20,655 units (PS4)

Heroines had a tiny budget in comparison to something like XVI of SCIV, I don't think it will be hard for it to become profitable.
There wouldn't be still DLC announced if it wasn't profitable, for sure.

My numbers come from here btw. It's the last updates from Famitsu from weekly rankings.
Madman's Cafe is not counting the Switch numbers for the first week there, or it's using a different tracker, because it was 20k at launch on Famitsu.
Just like SNK Heroines was 10k there.
UNIEL was 8k at launch, 15k LTD, SC6 was 22k, KOF was 23k at launch (37k total).

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There wouldn't be still DLC announced if it wasn't profitable, for sure.

My numbers come from here btw. It's the last updates from Famitsu from weekly rankings.
Madman's Cafe is not counting the Switch numbers for the first week there, or it's using a different tracker, because it was 20k at launch on Famitsu.
Just like SNK Heroines was 10k there.
UNIEL was 8k at launch, 15k LTD, SC6 was 22k, KOF was 23k at launch (37k total).

https://gematsu.com/2018/09/media-create-sales-9-3-18-9-9-18

PS4+Switch does give the 15K launch number for Heroines.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
KoF XIV is probably the best one in a long time, so the more platforms it's on, the merrier.
I can't even remember the last one I truly liked (XIII was pretty, but I wasn't keen on the game itself). Probably 2002 or Neowave I guess.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
I hope if XIV comes to Switch, it'll include all DLC. Only fitting for such a late port and it seems to be the expected nowadays with any year+ late ports on Switch, such as BlazBlue: Central Fiction Special Editon, One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 Deluxe Edition, all the late Musou ports, etc.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Doesn't SNK Heroines run at 30 FPS on the Switch? KOF XIV is not a pretty game as is. They would probably need to butcher it to get it Switch ready. It likely wouldn't sell very well and wouldn't be worth the dev time.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't SNK Heroines run at 30 FPS on the Switch? KOF XIV is not a pretty game as is. They would probably need to butcher it to get it Switch ready. It likely wouldn't sell very well and wouldn't be worth the dev time.
SNK wasn't in the position to be making their own engine. why they did with KoF, I don't know

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
KoF XIV is probably the best one in a long time, so the more platforms it's on, the merrier.
I can't even remember the last one I truly liked (XIII was pretty, but I wasn't keen on the game itself). Probably 2002 or Neowave I guess.

This. 14 was pretty great, hooked me like no other KOF game in the past. Hope they port it.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
According to the leaker who was right with Samsho and the dlc of heroines, this game should run at Unreal 4, so maybe there is a chance that it will be better optimized fornSwotch than SNK own engine