• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I'm traveling for holidays. Need to play asap upon my return. Dear lord did they balance beast mode Heidern? Is mah Mui Mui, Kukri or Alice getting bluffs? Last time Alice got some good stuff...

EDIT: reads notes
Oh lord they just beat Heidern with that nerf bat till he couldnt feel his arms or something didnt they?
Not too keen on those K' nerfs.

Last edited:

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
It's nice that SNK is still supporting this game, unlike Capcom with MvC: Infinite.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's nice that SNK is still supporting this game, unlike Capcom with MvC: Infinite.

It's SNK's flagship title. Not really a fair comparison. I doubt we'll see lengthy support for SNK Heroines. But I hear you, the lack of support for MvC:Infinite disappointed everyone.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
With all these nerfs I'm seeing folks stating that it's like a nail in the coffin lol. Whiners are up on xmas eve for this. I see some Oswald buffs though but tons of frame, damage, and hitbox nerfs abound. Curious about the changes and what they open up.

Other than Heiderns obvious top tier status balance wasn't too bad. Antonov was even a blast after all the buffs. I need to play this. Please post thoughts because it's so early all I see are the ever present whiner posts on Twitter. Waiting to see new tech. Looks like Whip got new links with her changes.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They err... gave Mai and Athena more health than Angel now...

Kukri's teleport buff in action:

With all these nerfs I'm seeing folks stating that it's like a nail in the coffin lol. Whiners are up on xmas eve for this. I see some Oswald buffs though but tons of frame, damage, and hitbox nerfs abound. Curious about the changes and what they open up.

Other than Heiderns obvious top tier status balance wasn't too bad. Antonov was even a blast after all the buffs. I need to play this. Please post thoughts because it's so early all I see are the ever present whiner posts on Twitter. Waiting to see new tech. Looks like Whip got new links with her changes.

Just finished going through the entire change list in practice mode.

Najd, Heidern and Shun'ei got hit as deserved. They were a huge problem in tournaments so they had to be taken care of. Iori got hit too.

The one big stand out change across pretty much the entire cast is that overheads have been hit with slower start up and recovery. So they are basically trying to address overheads into max combos and giving people more time to react.

Other general changes are allowing air throws from hops(?) and also making it easier to do air command moves (for example you had to do down+HK in the air previously to do Angel's air knee, now you can input down forward or down back and still get it). A lot of characters had their run speeds increased as well.

In general spammable stuff has been addressed. Think of something previously spammable (like Athena's EX Phoenix Arrow, Mature's EX dp, Leona's overhead, Kula's far C and Lay Spin etc.) and there is a high chance it has been hit.

Many characters have new tools and combos.

Xanadu finally has legit max mode BnB combos now. His second super has also been improved to combo better in general (it was completely useless before).

Ralf had a cool combo he could do previously but it had really tight timing, they adjusted things so this will be his new BnB now, it's much easier to do. They also gave him a better cross up.

Bandeiras got a really cool new buff. He can can now free cancel his dashing teleport special at any point into his special moves. So he can cancel it into his knee special, counters etc. He can also cancel it into his command throw (which gains the special property it only got from doing it while running previously, so he will be able to do a big OTG combo if he lands the opponent in the corner).

Zarina (finally) has a special move now which is safe on block (QCB+LK). Not only that but it gives her access to new combos.

Luong had some useful buffs too. Improved normals and now she has a 1 meter invincible reversal super.

Kensou can no longer combo into his command normal from his crouching light kicks. Ouch.

Chin can get drunk faster now and an intersting buff to his overhead (recovers faster and OTGs).

Kukri got a great buff. From what I tested it looks like it's a lot harder to hit him out of his sand teleport on start up unless you hit him low. I set the Iori dummy to hit him with a jump in and tried all sorts of timings, Iori missed most/all times. I also tried it against Athena's fireball and did it with really late timing and it still wouldn't hit him out of the sand teleport start up. Very nice buff if it's as good as it seems at first sight.

Vanessa got a whole bunch of buffs again. Wonder if she will finally stop being bottom tier now lol.

Lots more changes, looking forward to see what people do with these.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit! Just got home for KOF 14 xmas times and found my wife had gotten me both a Rock Howard Garou shirt and a mother fucking G MANTLE shirt!
Damn I married well. Time to update and have some fun.

Deleted member 26684

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Huge cast rebalances that are impossible to revert drive me crazy. Street Fighter IV made sense because you can play most of the previous versions as a specific feature in the final version (and most of the versions were released separately anyway). ASW games usually make sense because each version is released separately. This... doesn't make sense.

I really hope we get some kind of version select for KOF14, SF5, etc.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Huge cast rebalances that are impossible to revert drive me crazy. Street Fighter IV made sense because you can play most of the previous versions as a specific feature in the final version (and most of the versions were released separately anyway). ASW games usually make sense because each version is released separately. This... doesn't make sense.

Man dont no one want OG Antonov back.

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xanadu's new BnB max mode combos, possible thanks to the change to his EX arm spinning move (previously it would cause a hard knockdown and that was it, now it causes a ground bounce for further juggles). So his combos and damage output are no longer garbage.

Najd's nerfs weren't severe, she still seems pretty viable.

They have been doing that from the beginning, leaving the higher tiers viable enough instead of completely destroying them.

Her damage got nerfed yes but more importantly she won't be able to get away with throwing out her drop kicks randomly in the neutral anymore. She will eat a combo now on block instead of getting mostly punished with regular throws.

Man dont no one want OG Antonov back.

The vast majority of the cast got much better tools and combos through the updates, it would be pointless to go back to older versions. The characters just play better and are more refined.

(oh and your wife sounds like a keeper)

Last edited:

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
I hope all youse guyze and galz had a Merry Christmas, first off! Took me some time to play the update, didn't wanna say much until then...

Bandy Ninja man continues to be one of my biggest surprises in these updates. He's gone from someone I didn't play at all at the start, to a character I check first each new version. Teleport into Modified Iguza drop satisfies my Hanzo fandom strongly. The new layer of smoothness and oppression he's able to pull off feels GOOD.

Sylvie's increased speed and D IS ACTUALLY A BEST BUTTON NOW changes fill in a lot of the blind spots she still had. I hated max mode cancelling her normals, in order to miss the distance due to an overly conservative spin kick. That's been alleviated now, and I get a button that actually helps to cover a weakness of hers. I know many want her Denki-Kaiji to be anti-hop, but I enjoy playing between it and Dischar-Jing to mess up the opponent's aggression. D making it harder for people to mid-range pressure her is a smart addition, that probably helps her move overall. She actually HAS the moves to do what is desired. She just lacks in tools that cover multiple areas.

Zarina's ability to finally do a bit of chip, and to have a safe way to maintain pressure that DOESN'T rely on her Trick-R command normal! She's an even more well-rounded version of what I already enjoy. I feel like most other companies would have totally killed the fun of catching mid-air juggle opponents with Peduncle Pruning by now, I can deal with it being hit by a bit more scaling.

Najd's nerfs weren't severe, she still seems pretty viable.

If anything, she just looks like she follows the rules of the game better. It's not a nerf that guts everything fun about her. It's just bringing her in line to where she feels as if her viability doesn't super overshadows everyone else for the same position.

I love SNK's "Nerfs" because they always feel like they give back a little something in return, and maintain something of the routes and timing that were spammed so much before the change.

Damn I married well. Time to update and have some fun.
Ahhh, so you've got the end-result of the Hi-Score Girl anime, but IRL! LoL. I saw much more of my family over this Christmas than I usually do, and all my FGC-related convos stopped at Street Fighter. I would have appreciated some KOF and SNK SOMEWHERE in there, lol. You are truly blessed! ;-)

Yeah, it's really not necessary for SNK / KOF at this point, though. I definitely understand how daunting it feels. If anything, I'd like some extra Tutorial missions added that explain the updated characters, and what changed. But KoF's changes (Ever since XIII's updates) have redefined the whole game. Their universal System changes, HP balances, and movement adjustments aren't just made in a vacuum. Old version would just be BAD, rather than a desirable style that no longer exist.

I always feel SFV gives me changes that are debatable; they remove something fun, and what's awesome and new is generally shifted to the next character release. At that point, I want a version select, because what was removed doesn't seem like it should be taken away, just value-adjusted.

But you have characters like Bandeiras and Sylvie in XIV, which are like 96 to 98 shifts in terms of character refinement. The old versions just look like they were missing tools compared to what we have now. Near-useless moves have been given actual purpose, OTGs and added Anywhere Juggles have opened up new combo routes that didn't even exist, normals that were simply combo filler can now become best-buttons. They've changed from "I hope they get better in the next entry...!" characters, to super defined roster slots that actually have a specific place, now.

Xanadu's new BnB max mode combos, possible thanks to the change to his EX arm spinning move (previously it would cause a hard knockdown and that was it, now it causes a ground bounce for further juggles). So his combos and damage output are no longer garbage.

He's always had some interesting abilities, I"m glad they actually MESH some now.

They have been doing that from the beginning, leaving the higher tiers viable enough instead of completely destroying them.

Her damage got nerfed yes but more importantly she won't be able to get away with throwing out her drop kicks randomly in the neutral anymore. She will eat a combo now on block instead of getting mostly punished with regular throws.
I like how it always feels like a general gain for their patches. While I lament the loss of certain things (Leona's Crossup Solidarity...), they always feel like their main goal is to "Share the Wealth", rather than just outfirst take something out of the game. Iori's far D is a fun tool, but with all he has, does he need it to be THAT good? Nope! So why not give a form of it to Sylvie? Sure!

The vast majority of the cast got much better tools and combos through the updates, it would be pointless to go back to older versions. The characters just play better and are more refined.

I keep feeling as if I should pay for these patches. The system changes feel more like a $20 update, rather than a free bonus for something that's been out for a few years. SFV always brings along a new season, or something that lets me know Capcom expects new money to help them get to the next step. KoF doesn't even have a new set of costumes or PSN themes to help donate to the cause, lol.

I know it's painful to wait for games to come to consoles of choice, but I really feel like SNK is very generous when it comes to using a new console / arcade / PC release as an excuse to release free balance updates to their games. Instead of releasing something everywhere with mediocre support, they release in a small area, try to improve on that one base, and then expand as they're happy with where the product is now. They seem to have realistic goals, which keeps a product profitable to work on for a longer amount of time.

Imagine if Marvel Infinite did that? Instead of trying to release on PS4, XB1 and PC at once, they could have released on PS4 / Vinta only first. And then used the PC release several months later to justify renewing licenses, interest, and expanding support for another year? Finally a 2nd year of support would be gained with the XB1 / Windows store Crossbuy release. It would have been much better than just bombing on all 3 at the same time, and becoming forgotten. Every new Marvel Movie release could have it's content added to the game. Thanos Titan's Decree could have a "TheSNAP" variant, Antman and the Wasp could have been added, Captain Marvel could have brought new story content, costumes, and characters... *sigh*

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Man this new patch has some great Whip stuff.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Got to sharing me and Badwolf's conversation about The Button Hold trick and its application from way back during 3.0 today. Made me wanna play more KOF 14.

Hows the scene doing? I get a lot of japanese tweets on it lately. I keep seeing Blue Mary and Alice show up in my feed. Is there a certain tier list folks are following. A discord maybe where folks are sharing thoughts and tech and grinding still?