• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WillJPowers

Deep Silver
Verified
Feb 7, 2018
San Francisco, CA
That screenshot is from me and I don't know what should be not true about this. It downloads the complete game and only installs around 100mb from the disc, what can I say, it's what it is.

Haven't tested to install it offline but that's what it does when I'm online.

I played from disc BEFORE the patch was deployed on the server. And it installed from the disc. Instead, now it looks like the patch is replacing the disc install portion. Can't confirm that aspect, but can 100% confirm that the disc has the full game and does install from the disc before the patch was implemented. Hope that helps.

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
The game only comes with 100mb? This is 100% not true. The game, whether physical or digital, comes as a fully first party QA approved product. However, since we all waiting four years the for game, I'd recommend waiting another hour to download the patch that the Warhorse team was able to use the 6-weeks (at least) between submission of the final build and its release date to continue to work on and polish.

That`s fine and all, but it`s an odd design decision. I know the entire game is on the disc, but why make the "patch" complete overwrite what`s on the disc? People buy these things so they don`t have to wait, or just want to save bandwith.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I played from disc BEFORE the patch was deployed on the server. And it installed from the disc. Instead, now it looks like the patch is replacing the disc install portion. Can't confirm that aspect, but can 100% confirm that the disc has the full game and does install from the disc before the patch was implemented. Hope that helps.

Makes sense since there is no point in installing the old files if they just get overwritten anyway.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Is it out on Xbox too? Only had 1.01 there.

Alright, got it, thanks.

Edge...just to clarify, are you currently playing the game with 1.01 patch or do you have the 1.02 patch? Just trying to gauge the state of the game. I don't mind waiting for improvements, but if you only have 1.01 and there is a 1.02 patch incoming that perhaps has not hit the Xbox servers, it could fix that microstutter you are having or the LOD issues.

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway

This.

No surprise, as it has happened to more games this generation.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

Yeah, that does make sense. It's just surprising first when you see that it only installs 100mb from the disc and downloads a huge patch.

Edge...just to clarify, are you currently playing the game with 1.01 patch or do you have the 1.02 patch? Just trying to gauge the state of the game. I don't mind waiting for improvements, but if you only have 1.01 and there is a 1.02 patch incoming that perhaps has not hit the Xbox servers, it could fix that microstutter you are having or the LOD issues.

Sorry, edited my posting with this:

Does 1.02 fix the horrible framepacing?

That should be priority number one next. It's awful how the whole screen stutters and stops every 2 seconds, it's throughout the whole video.

So no, I only played 1.01 so far and can only hope that 1.02 fix this. No idea if 1.02 is already available on Xbox.

BT-787

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. Can confirm it's not 100mb on disc.

Source: it's my story in the OP :)

Total file size is 46.51GB though.
oPJv1ih.jpg

Last edited:

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
That`s fine and all, but it`s an odd design decision. I know the entire game is on the disc, but why make the "patch" complete overwrite what`s on the disc? People buy these things so they don`t have to wait, or just want to save bandwith.

That's answered on the previous page.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's really unfortunate if you have a slow or metered connection, but I'm actually glad they kept working on the game until release day instead focusing on dlc's and season passes. I do wonder though is the 1.0 version you get on the disc even playable.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys, chiming in here for a second. I can talk about the patch to a certain extent, but first, here's a note from Martin Klima, Executive Producer at Warhorse:

"Four years after our Kickstarter campaign, our game is set to be released tomorrow. The task was really big and our team although still quite small and we always wanted to deliver, to create the game we wanted and we believed you wanted. Before talking about some background, all of us at Warhorse would like to thank our community, the backers and friends who helped us to bring this dream to life by giving us the chance to develop what we believe is a unique RPG experience!

The production realities of game development mean that a 'release' version has to be finalized some time before the actual release date. We could have used this time to get some rest, or we could use it to create some additional content and sell it to you as DLC, but we went back to the version-to-be-released and worked on it. The results are obvious: quests are more balanced, RPG progression is smoother, the game runs faster and every facet of the game got more polish. The drawback of course is that most of the data in the old build was replaced and has to be downloaded as a patch. At a hefty size, it's going to take some time to download and it's a shame. Still, we strongly believe that after four years wait it will pay off to wait a little bit longer while the Day 1 patch is downloading. Trust me, it will deliver the awesome experience YOU deserve!"
Are future printings going to have the game patched and not need the day one replacement patch?

adel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so I need to wait 2 or 3 days to play game.
Wish I could download this update without the game disc.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a 1.02 patch on consoles? I just noticed from post #112 that he only has 1.01 and Edge which is playing on Xbox only has 1.01 as well. Is 1.02 hitting consoles soon?

Llyrwenne

Hopes and Dreams SAVE the World
Oct 26, 2017
Please stop the drive-by posts joking about the views of the creator. This is not the thread.

Oct 27, 2017
The game only comes with 100mb? This is 100% not true. The game, whether physical or digital, comes as a fully first party QA approved product. However, since we all waiting four years the for game, I'd recommend waiting another hour to download the patch that the Warhorse team was able to use the 6-weeks (at least) between submission of the final build and its release date to continue to work on and polish.

This should also be in the OP. Thanks for clarifying. I backed on KS and I'm looking forward to finally playing it.

witty_mittie3

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi
I'm glad that we got some clarification on the patch size and the reasons why. Depending on how it reviews, I am perfectly fine with waiting for day to let the patch download. Unfortunately, while a 23 GB download may take an hour to download for some, it'll probably take me 5+ hours.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
1.01 is a tiny compliance patch. 1.02 is the large patch that addresses and balances features across the entire game. Both are live right now on consoles.

Not for me, in game when I press the options button it only says 1.01.

When I press Options, Back, LB + RB in my library it says 1.0.0.106_X64

No 1.02 available yet.

WillJPowers

Deep Silver
Verified
Feb 7, 2018
San Francisco, CA
I'm glad that we got some clarification on the patch size and the reasons why. Depending on how it reviews, I am perfectly fine with waiting for day to let the patch download. Unfortunately, while a 23 GB download may take an hour to download for some, it'll probably take me 5+ hours.
I aim for transparency. It definitely doesn't help to try to hide things like this, and the reasoning behind it actually makes a lot of sense, and isn't shitty.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the comments in here are embarrassingly bad and jumped the gun originally.

Thanks to WillJPowers for clearing stuff up in a jiffy and subduing the ridiculous claims.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Well, we're almost here! It's such a strange thing to think of massive day one patches, after you've been doing digital downloads forever. The more time they've had to continue improving the title, the better. Excited to explore and see how this turned out.

Shifty1897

Oct 28, 2017
Trying real hard not to be a jerk here but if you legitimately believed that Deep Silver would publish a PS4 game disc that had only 100 MB of data on it... how have you survived natural selection?

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
If I recall, Daytona Championship USA basically had the entire game on one of (?) its updates, which I can only assume happened to overwrite the old build of the game in arcade cabinets. Though the real interesting part of it comes from the fact that with a little hex editing on the patch, you can actually get the whole game up and running on your computer. Though going back to your situation, I can only hope that in the future, game engine developers won't code their products in such a way as to make sure that the games the companies put out won't require such massive patches for whatever minor niggles in the code.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Not a good luck, it means the game was /unfinished/ and such they had to put out more code after going gold.

It's a good rule of thumb.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I'm shocked that it did that, personally. There was no save game interruption for me going from 1.00 > 1.02 on US PS4. Might be a XB1 issue. Please let me know your console and region, and I'll investigate.

I, personally, didn't had this problem, I just started with the newest patch, but I heard this from other players.

I'll have my Pro Version tomorrow.

Warhorse community manager said in a stream tody that you shouldn't play without the day 1 patch. It'll corrupt your old savegames.

Start fresh.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Not too worried about the massive day one patch even on crappy Australian NBN as it sounds like they've polished it a lot but I am worried about the frame pacing issue. Hopefully the 1.02 patch fixes that up or they are at least aware and working on the issue.

Edit - So how are people already playing the game? Review copies I assume? Does that mean we should expect some reviews and impressions up within the next day or two? Hopefully Digital Foundry have their hands on a copy and can test the performance of the game before release.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Not a good luck, it means the game was /unfinished/ and such they had to put out more code after going gold.

It's a good rule of thumb.

Almost any major game these days has a day 1 patch, including Breath of the Wild. The time between sending the discs off to sony/ms for QA and release gives developers time to keep patching and working on a game and many take that time to further improve it for launch, as you only get one initial impression so it's best to make sure it's the best you can, hence day one patches.

It dosn't mean the game wasn't "finished" (Sony/ms wouldn't approve it then), just that there were things you could further improve (like better detailed facial animations as the patch notes say) and some bugs that might have made it through.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Almost any major game these days has a day 1 patch, including Breath of the Wild. The time between sending the discs off to sony/ms for QA and release gives developers time to keep patching and working on a game and many take that time to further improve it for launch, as you only get one initial impression so it's best to make sure it's the best you can, hence day one patches.

It dosn't mean the game wasn't "finished" (Sony/ms wouldn't approve it then), just that there were things you could further improve (like better detailed facial animations as the patch notes say) and some bugs that might have made it through.
For sure but most games don't have these monstrous patch sizes.

Sadly this mean I'll take come precautions with this game. I'll buy it for sure, but a few months down the line where all obviously present issues are not there anymore.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
For sure but most games don't have these monstrous patch sizes.

Sadly this mean I'll take come precautions with this game. I'll buy it for sure, but a few months down the line where all obviously present issues are not there anymore.

It entirely depends on how the engine is set up. If your game supports delta patching, you might maybe have 1gb of changes to make. However if it doesn't and everything is packed into files, that 1gb of patches might actually need to be 30gb because those changes were spread between so many different files. Star Citizen was getting 30-40gb patches for years until they finally implemented delta patching and the size of the patches dropped drastically.

Not too worried about the massive day one patch even on crappy Australian NBN as it sounds like they've polished it a lot but I am worried about the frame pacing issue. Hopefully the 1.02 patch fixes that up or they are at least aware and working on the issue.

Edit - So how are people already playing the game? Review copies I assume? Does that mean we should expect some reviews and impressions up within the next day or two? Hopefully Digital Foundry have their hands on a copy and can test the performance of the game before release.

Some retailers don't care as much about release dates as others. Review copies were only sent out recently, embargo on those ends on launch day.

Status
Not open for further replies.