• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I legitimately had never heard of this. After watching the trailer and some gameplay I need to have it.

The only thing that will stop me from buying is bad frame pacing or extreme dips. Those need to be fixed or it'll drive me crazy. More the frame pacing than anything.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Well, shit. Tonight's download will be long [and maybe not enough for entire game+patch]. Curse my slow connection.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
no, turns out the bullshit of removing them for "historical accuracy" takes a lotta space

You Guys don't give up eh? I have to say these attempts to derail every topic about the game are definitely a bit pathetic by now and don't really help your "cause" at all, i still think moderation should be a bit harsher in this regard.

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
You Guys don't give up eh? I have to say these attempts to derail every topic about the game are definitely a bit pathetic by now and don't really help your "cause" at all, i still think moderation should be a bit harsher in this regard.
Agreed. Let people talk about the game without all the political crap.

I have 100mb internet so the patch size is fine for me. Game looks questionable though. Waiting for impressions.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
User Banned (3 Days): Thread derailment, ignoring a mod post, history of similar behavior.

that's a great appeal to moderation to back your sensitive defense force there

you know what's a bit pathetic? being so mad that Varva's a huge piece of shit and a few people point that out in these topics to keep reminding folks. you've clearly decided to back dude regardless, so enjoy your game & walk on by.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just report them and let it be, at this point its just pointless trolling/derailing from their side.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

you know what's a bit pathetic? being so mad that Varva's a huge piece of shit and a few people point that out in these topics to keep reminding folks. you've clearly decided to back dude regardless, so enjoy your game & walk on by.

Quit derailing, mate.

Please stop the drive-by posts joking about the views of the creator. This is not the thread.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
This is the shit that pisses me off with patches.

Disc is pretty much useless. They shouldn't have bothered with it.

Deathknell

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

PhEHEz3.jpg

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this point it's worth just buying the GOG version when it releases later this month so it's just a single, up-to-date download.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOL, this is a preeety big patch.

Im looking forward to giving this a go. I can forgive alot of performance issues if I can see the ambition behind it.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure that a 20+GB update can be called a "patch" as it is "the actual game."

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi, so it's not clear to me if this is a patch, or the actual game?

I'll likely be buying this on the PC... but, honestly, red flags keep going up with this title. And this, kind of, sort of, is another one. I mean, if the developer isn't being forthright with its ps4 people about the download then they're just being sneaky - and that's not cool.

Developers need to treat their customers properly... god damn it.

Oct 27, 2017
Big patch, but manageable on my connection. Vastly more frustrating for those on slow or capped connections though.

Could buy digital I suppose but I'm not convinced I'll be playing this very long (hopefully I'll be wrong) and I want to be able to trade it in.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Hi, so it's not clear to me if this is a patch, or the actual game?

I'll likely be buying this on the PC... but, honestly, red flags keep going up with this title. And this, kind of, sort of, is another one. I mean, if the developer isn't being forthright with its ps4 people about the download then they're just being sneaky - and that's not cool.

Developers need to treat their customers properly... god damn it.

patch

https://www.resetera.com/posts/4358559/

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Wait a minute - what?

They're saying they 'finalized' the game, and then instead of going on vacation, or starting work on DLC, they did really important work that made the game so much better, and will be patching the game day one.

Um... okay... so the game wasn't really finished then, was it? Sorry, folks, but this is just plain weird.

Games are never finished, especially not big ass RPGs like this.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Wait a minute - what?

They're saying they 'finalized' the game, and then instead of going on vacation, or starting work on DLC, they did really important work that made the game so much better, and will be patching the game day one.

Um... okay... so the game wasn't really finished then, was it? Sorry, folks, but this is just plain weird.

Weird?

Day one patches are fairly common for games in this day and age, nothing weird about it.

When you are releasing a game on consoles you have to first submit it to them for QA, which takes time. This time can be used to keep polishing the game and working on things during this period, which usually get rolled into a day one patch on release day.

Oct 27, 2017
Wait a minute - what?

At some point you have to call it done so it can be put onto discs. The joys of physically media I suppose. 'Finalised' in this sense is, I assume, 'its basically feature complete and playable' it doesn't mean it's necessarily the best product that could be shipped. Hence huge day 1 patch. Doesn't bother me as I have a 200mb connection but I can see why it would be a real irritation for many.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
So, let me stop the rumor mill dead in its tracks before everyone continues jumping to conclusions. The way that I've been told that the engine works, is it takes the entire game and separates the PKG or ISO into 2GB archives. If during a patch you so much as alter a 1KB text file within any of these 2GB archives, then you need to reupload the ENTIRE 2GB portion. That beings said, this is a major patch that improves overarching mechanics throughout the game, so it touches almost all of these 2GB archives in the entire game build. Essentially you are having to redownload the game to replace the existing files. It shouldn't stack them and inflate on your harddrive, but rather replace the previously downloaded build files.
This seems horribly inefficient. Why is it like this? What is the benefit? What prevents or discourages updating just the necessary files?

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weird?

Day one patches are fairly common for games in this day and age, nothing weird about it.

When you are releasing a game on consoles you have to first submit it to them for QA, which takes time. This time can be used to keep polishing the game and working on things during this period, which usually get rolled into a day one patch on release day.

Okay, so I've been gaming since 1985 - you don't really have to explain this to me.

Please re-read what this developer just wrote with a more objective eye. Essentially he's saying they had a deadline to meet, and come hell or high water they were going to meet that deadline and ship the game. That's not a good sign. 23 gigabytes? That's not really polishing the game. That's a major overhaul - and they're essentially doing this after they've shipped the game. Again, not a good sign.

There are a zillion red flags going up around this game. I mean, I want it to be great... but, come on... you can't just ignore all this stuff.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At some point you have to call it done so it can be put onto discs. The joys of physically media I suppose. 'Finalised' in this sense is, I assume, 'its basically feature complete and playable' it doesn't mean it's necessarily the best product that could be shipped. Hence huge day 1 patch. Doesn't bother me as I have a 200mb connection but I can see why it would be a real irritation for many.

I'll try to say this politely, but I think you're missing the point here.

You seem to be saying you're not concerned because you have a fast internet connection that will easily handle the 23 gigabyte 'patch'. But that's not really the issue here. It's alarming that so much work was done on this game AFTER it shipped.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so I've been gaming since 1985 - you don't really have to explain this to me.

Please re-read what this developer just wrote with a more objective eye. Essentially he's saying they had a deadline to meet, and come hell or high water they were going to meet that deadline and ship the game. That's not a good sign. 23 gigabytes? That's not really polishing the game. That's a major overhaul - and they're essentially doing this after they've shipped the game. Again, not a good sign.

There are a zillion red flags going up around this game. I mean, I want it to be great... but, come on... you can't just ignore all this stuff.

The patch size is due to how the game files are structured by the engine. It has nothing to do with being major overhaul or not.

Oct 27, 2017

You seem to be saying you're not concerned because you have a fast internet connection that will easily handle the 23 gigabyte 'patch'. But that's not really the issue here. It's alarming that so much work was done on this game AFTER it shipped.

Alarming how? What would be your preference? The game has to be 'done' by certain timescales to avoid delays (presumably expensive delays) to the physical release, regardless of if the Devs feel it to actually be complete. Would you prefer they made no more changes/improvements, so no patch? If your issue is the state of the game on the disc pre-patch then that's hardly a new concern given the prevalence of day 1 patches these days.

If I'm reading the OP correctly even small changes to the game would require large chunks of data to be re-downloaded so it makes sense to continue to refine and improve the game with a large patch when even gentle tinkering would potentially require a similar size update.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Reread the first post. It's not that you download a whole new lot of game.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

The actual changes/updates aren't 23gb, it's how the engine works (like most steam games). The changes themselves might add up to literally a few hundred MB but they change a file that is in itself multiple gb's.

Instead of simply adding the change to the already existing file they have to completely download a new one instead, so it adds up to be a lot more then the size of the actual changes.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know what to say other than... welcome to the last 10 years, at least? Complex games with lots of moving parts frequently ship with a lot of problems, some of which get addressed in support. And in any case the size of the patch often reflects the structure the game data is stored in more than the importance or magnitude of changes. Previous posts in this thread explained how the data structure of KC:D leads to large patch sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.