• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2017
If a patch is going to deter people, then maybe they weren't excited in the first place? Looking for a reason to be put off?

Would you rather not have a patch and have stuff not work as intended, or have a patch and have components of the game improved?

(Sidenote: WOW, WillJPowers! I remember you from THE TESTER man!)

WillJPowers

Deep Silver
Verified
Feb 7, 2018
San Francisco, CA
If a patch is going to deter people, then maybe they weren't excited in the first place? Looking for a reason to be put off?

Would you rather not have a patch and have stuff not work as intended, or have a patch and have components of the game improved?

Yeah, started from the bottom, now I'm here. I still think I have the strangest fucking origin story in all of gaming.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

I think people would have preferred a method of patching that doesn't require re-downloading the entire game every time there's an update. Is that an option or is it only the two you proposed?

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which is worse because it means every other patch coming is gonna be massive too.
Depends entirely on how the game is structured. Hypothetically this massive update might have restructured the game to allow for easier future patching. This is basically the same version of CE as SGW3, which used sequential file names for archives. (Which are simply zip files, although some developers use CE's encryption on them. Since KCD will have mod support, I imagine that won't be done.)
sgw3_structuresnrps.png

If you put all your script files in an archive named Script.pak, you can patch it by adding a new archive named Script.p1.pak The key is to keep the files compartmentalized as much as possible otherwise it turns into a mess. There's no need to replace archives. (Looking at you, Star Citizen.) You can simply add new ones that overrule them. So we'll have to see how future KCD patches turn out.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys, chiming in here for a second. I can talk about the patch to a certain extent, but first, here's a note from Martin Klima, Executive Producer at Warhorse:

"Four years after our Kickstarter campaign, our game is set to be released tomorrow. The task was really big and our team although still quite small and we always wanted to deliver, to create the game we wanted and we believed you wanted. Before talking about some background, all of us at Warhorse would like to thank our community, the backers and friends who helped us to bring this dream to life by giving us the chance to develop what we believe is a unique RPG experience!

The production realities of game development mean that a 'release' version has to be finalized some time before the actual release date. We could have used this time to get some rest, or we could use it to create some additional content and sell it to you as DLC, but we went back to the version-to-be-released and worked on it. The results are obvious: quests are more balanced, RPG progression is smoother, the game runs faster and every facet of the game got more polish. The drawback of course is that most of the data in the old build was replaced and has to be downloaded as a patch. At a hefty size, it's going to take some time to download and it's a shame. Still, we strongly believe that after four years wait it will pay off to wait a little bit longer while the Day 1 patch is downloading. Trust me, it will deliver the awesome experience YOU deserve!"
It releases tomorrow? where is the steam key? I can't find it on the backer page.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
The game only comes with 100mb? This is 100% not true. The game, whether physical or digital, comes as a fully first party QA approved product. However, since we all waiting four years the for game, I'd recommend waiting another hour to download the patch that the Warhorse team was able to use the 6-weeks (at least) between submission of the final build and its release date to continue to work on and polish.

If only I live in a place where 22-23ish GB download only add 'an hour' before i can play the game, hahaha.... *sigh*

What about the digital version? Is this patch also required for it?

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The patch size is due to how the game files are structured by the engine. It has nothing to do with being major overhaul or not.

Are we reading the same comment???

Here's what the developer wrote, and this is what I was referring to:

We could have used this time to get some rest, or we could use it to create some additional content and sell it to you as DLC, but we went back to the version-to-be-released and worked on it. The results are obvious: quests are more balanced, RPG progression is smoother, the game runs faster and every facet of the game got more polish.

He's talking about major stuff. Quest balancing. RPG progression. Making the game run smoother. This is being done AFTER the game was sent out.

I know exactly what you guys are going to say... that this sort of thing is 'normal'. Okay, that argument needs to die fast. Last year I bought game after game that simply wasn't ready - but was released to market anyhow. Valve actually issued me with a warning, saying I was refunding too many games. I sent them an e-mail saying developers are releasing too many unfinished games.

Also, for what it's worth. What you said - namely, that "the patch size is due to how the game files are structured by the engine" - is a weak excuse. The translation of that is, "Our coding is fucked up, and you're going to have to pay the price - hope you don't live in a country where you have slow internet and a small data cap."

I simply don't understand why some gamers will bend over backwards to defend developers when they do things like this.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Cant wait for Tuesday to play it, the only issue is splitting time between this and Monster hunter world.

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Luckily, this doesn't really affect the digital download version because the patch will already be integrated into the initial download.

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
You know this for a fact?

After the terrible year we had in gaming last year, I don't assume things anymore.

It's a day one patch, so it'll be available as soon as the game launches, presumably. It's not adding 23 gigs of content, it's just modifying 23 gigs of files. It shouldn't increase the game's total size by much, if anything.

Also, I thought 2017 was a pretty good year for gaming. Divinity: Original Sin 2, Prey, The Evil Within 2, Wolfenstein 2, AC: Origins, Zelda: BotW, Mario Odyssey, PUBG, Persona 5... a lot of good games came out. There was the whole loot box fiasco but that was largely overblown and really only affected Battlefront 2.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious about how many pre-rendered cutscenes this game has. I know it has some, but what's the ratio? Are all the excellently acted main story beats pre-rendered?

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, I thought 2017 was a pretty good year for gaming. Divinity: Original Sin 2, Prey, The Evil Within 2, Wolfenstein 2, AC: Origins, Zelda: BotW, Mario Odyssey, PUBG, Persona 5... a lot of good games came out. There was the whole loot box fiasco but that was largely overblown and really only affected Battlefront 2.

That's not what I meant.

I meant that last year was a terrible year with regards to the state that games were in upon release - at least on the PC. I can't count the number of games that were buggy and broken on day one.

Hence the reason I said I don't make assumptions anymore.

Which is why I asked you if you know for a fact that the digital release won't have a huge day one patch. It's just not safe to assume anything anymore.

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
That's not what I meant.

I meant that last year was a terrible year with regards to the state that games were in upon release - at least on the PC. I can't count the number of games that were buggy and broken on day one.

Hence the reason I said I don't make assumptions anymore.

Which is why I asked you if you know for a fact that the digital release won't have a huge day one patch. It's just not safe to assume anything anymore.

The digital release will already include the day one patch because it's a day one patch. I suppose there's a chance that they could release the patch later in the day, though that would be pretty dumb. If you're really concerned, if you could just wait a day before downloading.

Also, I'm still not seeing how PC games were especially buggy or broken last year. Off the top of my head, I can think of Nier Automata having issues and... that's pretty much it.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
FIve bucks says this has to do with the way -paks are handled in base CryEngine. The actual physical changes to the code are comparatively smaller than this, but the whole groups of -paks need to be resent in full.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Quick questions, does any of you know if there's a difference between The game on OG ps4 and PS4 Pro?

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Okay, not too bad, i use a computer monitor so I won't even see the difference

Edit: about language in the game, how does this work? Original voice with english subtitles? ( once you unlock the skill to understand that language i guess)

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Edit: about language in the game, how does this work? Original voice with english subtitles? ( once you unlock the skill to understand that language i guess)

It's all in English, you don't have to "learn" the language to understand dialogue in the game, you might be thinking of the book skill, which affects you being able to read things or not.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017

Played 3-4 hours on X1X now and you can choose the spoken language (Aswell as text language) in the menu. Now there are some people with a different language but it makes sense you can't understand what they say after you learn more about their backstory during the main quest.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's all in English, you don't have to "learn" the language to understand dialogue in the game, you might be thinking of the book skill, which affects you being able to read things or not.
Oh okay I thought you could learn other language too

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So will there really be nowhere to discuss this game then? I went to catch up on the other thread to read impressions and find that it's been derailed and shit down. Then the replacement thread got fucked up even worse.

Can there not just be two separate threads? One to discuss the game itself and then another to discuss Daniel Vavra?

Oct 25, 2017

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
can someone tell me if the game works without the patch? that's a huge day 1 patch.

as for derailing, maybe keep one thread open, like the "seperating game from its creator" thread, and funnel the discussion there.

edit: PS4 retail version

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
The responsibility for this probably rests mostly with Cryengine. Judging by the only game that I know of that modified the way data is loaded in CE, it requires an understandably non-trivial amount of work to change.

FIve bucks says this has to do with the way -paks are handled in base CryEngine. The actual physical changes to the code are comparatively smaller than this, but the whole groups of -paks need to be resent in full.

How much time did it take CIG to get to the delta patcher again? :p

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
So will there really be nowhere to discuss this game then? I went to catch up on the other thread to read impressions and find that it's been derailed and shit down. Then the replacement thread got fucked up even worse.

Can there not just be two separate threads? One to discuss the game itself and then another to discuss Daniel Vavra?

Seriously. It's fucking annoying. Some people have early copies - I just want to hear some cool shit about the game, straight up. Like, I'm not even some "keep your politics outta mah gaming!!" type dude in any sense whatsoever, but these "discussions" taking place literally have not a single thing to do with the content of the game. Which is, incidentally, something only a couple people even have first hand knowledge of at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.