• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Um. Divinity original sin 2...
Divinity is great, but it doesn't scratch the same itch for people who prefer non topdown first or third person RPGs. That itch was only scratched for me since TW3 by Mass Effect Andromeda (pretty good game with lot of flaws) and Elex (playing it right now and loving it so far).
In general there are very few actual RPGs like this, Kingdom Come in particular is the closest we got to New Vegas since..New Vegas. And it happens to be in completely unique setting, which is great.

bod

Nov 1, 2017
I am all in on this. Game looks fantastic and the few early impressions seem to back this up.

vsMIC

Oct 31, 2017
Game looks and runs surprisingly well on X1X.
Combat took some time getting used to but i really like meele combat.
Archery feels a bit inaccurate with a analog stick but apparently it gets better the higher your archery skill is.

Gotta say the immersion feels fantastic. Walking through a forest to hunt and a thunderstorm breaks out is magnificent on 1X.

thx for x impressions. really tempted to impulse buy although i had not have the game on my watch list until a few days ago.

Carpathia

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain how fighting multiple enemies at once works?, do you fight 1 vs 1 and the others wait their turn?.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
Same. You got a 'not yet' on your Download page?

Yup. I'll check in tomorrow. I have all Wednesday and Thursday to play uninterrupted. Should be fun.

I wonder if it can handle kbm and game pad at the same time. I'd like to play this with a game pad most of the time but lock picking might need kbm based on impressions? Maybe everyone is having a hard time because you are shit at everything until you level up

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Why isn't there the OT already? It's 72 hours before release.

Anyway, I love it more and more as more I play. When the game opens up after 9 hours, it's so f'n beautiful. Did a sidequest now where I have to catch birds and it is just fun walking to these beautiful woods and enjoying the game mechanics. Right now, it could be a serious GOTY contender for me if it continues to keep me sucked in to his world.

The OST is incredible.

I did huge postings about other things of the game, fighting, frame pacing problems, survival aspect, gifs and more twice so I won't repeat it here until the OT comes, but if you want to read about that, here is the direct link:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/kingdom-come-deliverance-impressions-thread-tread-lightly.22499/#post-4402670

Oh, also, I did a fist fighting sidequest and I think this is the very first time a video game implemented the heaviness and the outcome of such a fight this perfectly. Had the third fight of the quest and while I successfully beat my opponent, my body was hurt, my life and stamina was cut in half and my clothes were broken down to around 40-0% durability which you can even see cause the clothes literally get dirty and torn. You can feel that your character had a fist fight with a real human person and you can't do that against 3 other people at the same time or right after, it was the perfect feeling. I hope this won't change later when I have more skill and everything, but at this point, it felt amazing.

More pictures and gifs are coming later.

KatiePT

Jan 25, 2018
I agree. One of the reasons I like AC games so much is because of its historical setting.

Yeah, I was always really puzzled about those "This game without fantasy won't be fun" comments. I once asked one person who left this sort of comment if they liked Assassin's Creed or Red Dead Redemption and they replied both are among their favourite games. I guess people are confused because a traditional RPG without fantasy has never been done so people don't know what to expect.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
It's not the most intuitive on ps4 I've found, also frame rate really isn't too hot. This is on a base ps4 model though.

Anyone any good at lock picking? It's a nightmare on pad

Shit, this is a little worrying, I was hoping they'd manage to get that 30fps lock most of the time.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

Anyway, I love it more and more as more I play. When the game opens up after 9 hours, it's so f'n beautiful. Did a sidequest now where I have to catch birds and it is just fun walking to these beautiful woods and enjoying the game mechanics. Right now, it could be a serious GOTY contender for me if it continues to keep me sucked in to his world.

The OST is incredible.

I did huge postings about other things of the game, fighting, frame pacing problems, survival aspect, gifs and more twice so I won't repeat it here until the OT comes, but if you want to read about that, here is the direct link:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/kingdom-come-deliverance-impressions-thread-tread-lightly.22499/#post-4402670

Oh, also, I did a fist fighting sidequest and I think this is the very first time a video game implemented the heaviness and the outcome of such a fight perfectly. Had the third fight of the quest and while I successfully beat my opponent, my body was hurt, my life and stamina was cut in half and my clothes were broken down to around 40-0% durability which you can even see cause the clothes literally get dirty and torn. You can feel that your character had a fist fight with a real human person and you can't do that against 3 other people at the same time or right after, it was the perfect feeling. I hope this won't change later when I have more skill and everything, but at this point, it felt amazing.

Ilmyr said he would post the OT ~24h before release.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I haven't noticed any frame pacing. Maybe there are some issues later when
you fight army vs. army

Nah, the Xbox One X version has constant frame pacing problems. All the time, it's there. Just turn around the cam slowly, it's there, no matter what you do in the game.

g01HMxZ.gif

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for more impressions Edge.

The visual cue of clothing/armor taking damage sounds amazing, remember that kind of thing happening in older games (like Severance) which was tied to your health (so lower health = cuts/broken armor/clothing visually on your character, not tied to durability though like this is). Most rpgs just slap durability on as a number tacked away in your inventory screen and don't even bother actually showing it visually.

Have you got to ride a horse yet? If so how do the controls feel? Do you control different gaits of speed like a throttle system (ala mount and blade) or is it more arcadey like most games where you have a simple walk/run speed and then a "sprint" button you tap?

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Yup. I'll check in tomorrow. I have all Wednesday and Thursday to play uninterrupted. Should be fun.

I wonder if it can handle kbm and game pad at the same time. I'd like to play this with a game pad most of the time but lock picking might need kbm based on impressions? Maybe everyone is having a hard time because you are shit at everything until you level up

I imagine so. The beta supports on-the-fly input switching and that build is almost two years old (small language update aside).

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Thanks for more impressions Edge.

The visual cue of clothing/armor taking damage sounds amazing, remember that kind of thing happening in older games (like Severance) which was tied to your health (so lower health = cuts/broken armor/clothing visually on your character, not tied to durability though like this is). Most rpgs just slap durability on as a number tacked away in your inventory screen and don't even bother actually showing it visually.

Have you got to ride a horse yet? If so how do the controls feel? Do you control different gaits of speed like a throttle system (ala mount and blade) or is it more arcadey like most games where you have a simple walk/run speed and then a "sprint" button you tap?

Yes I have, you have to at a specific early point in the game.
You have 3 speeds, normal, if you press b once and if you press it twice. If you have speed with your horse it is quite hard to control but you can just hold b and it stays on the path. I didn't knew that while I had to ride it for the first time so keep that in mind, it helps massively.
It's not too complicated and too much simulation but it still feels cool, it's good animated in first person.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think there's any point in talking about performance when we're getting 23 GB day 1 patch :P

Frostman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great Britain

The OST is incredible.

Oh, also, I did a fist fighting sidequest and I think this is the very first time a video game implemented the heaviness and the outcome of such a fight this perfectly. Had the third fight of the quest and while I successfully beat my opponent, my body was hurt, my life and stamina was cut in half and my clothes were broken down to around 40-0% durability which you can even see cause the clothes literally get dirty and torn. You can feel that your character had a fist fight with a real human person and you can't do that against 3 other people at the same time or right after, it was the perfect feeling. I hope this won't change later when I have more skill and everything, but at this point, it felt amazing.

This all sounds great!

Your GIFs also look beautiful

Oct 25, 2017
Even the videos Edge made specifically to show bad framepacing just make me impressed at how damn good the game looks, haha. The only exception being when it goes into Mass Effect Dialogue Camera. I just hate it when games do that, it always looks like shit. They never have the facial tech to back up constant close up shots. I tend to prefer when games just stick with their gameplay camera unless we're about to watch a well polished cutscene.

Like in Dark Souls, where the vast majority of NPCs have no facial animation whatsoever, but it doesn't even begin to bother me because we're talking to them in the gameplay camera, instead of the game putting their static faces in front of us.

Granted, in a first person game the benefits would be diminshed, but the little bit of extra distance already helps them get away with lesser animations. There's also something about still being in control of my character that helps me deal with that.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
How does leveling and character progression work? Do you roll stats or pick perks, or is everyone's Henry the same at the start?

I don't know if it supports multiple save files, but I definitely want to play as a nonviolent (as much as possible) bard/thief and then again as a heavy

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope this plays nice with my Ryzen CPU (1700).

I took a gamble and pre-ordered today. Elex was one of my most favourite games of 2017...so any wonky mechanics I can easily overlook, so long as it runs competently and has fun progression and agency in the world.

Frostman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great Britain
Yeah, I was always really puzzled about those "This game without fantasy won't be fun" comments. I once asked one person who left this sort of comment if they liked Assassin's Creed or Red Dead Redemption and they replied both are among their favourite games. I guess people are confused because a traditional RPG without fantasy has never been done so people don't know what to expect.
Yeah, exactly. There are so many events in history games could be based around, but aren't taken advantage of. I don't know what else to call it, but it's as if devs choose not to base games on actual times and events because it wouldn't be 'gamey' enough. So without dragons and magic there wouldn't be much fun. In my mind though, fantasy has been done so much it's nice to have something going against the grain.

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nah, the Xbox One X version has constant frame pacing problems. All the time, it's there. Just turn around the cam slowly, it's there, no matter what you do in the game.

g01HMxZ.gif

One thing I wish you could turn that gold dot off heard reports you can't. I REALLY hate recticles/dots in FPS. I understand some get motion sick without it but I don't and for me it is immersion breaking and makes me tend to stare right at it at all times. Games should always have an option to turn that off.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Could be the GOTY for me if the combat is done right.

Also hope to learn something about that historical time period.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is like if Polanski made a new movie and released it in the states
I honestly feel everyone should give the game a try, doesn't look like he put his "views" in the game itself

KatiePT

Jan 25, 2018
Yeah, exactly. There are so many events in history games could be based around, but aren't taken advantage of. I don't know what else to call it, but it's as if devs choose not to base games on actual times and events because it wouldn't be 'gamey' enough. So without dragons and magic there wouldn't be much fun. In my mind though, fantasy has been done so much it's nice to have something going against the grain.

I think people appreciate non-fantasy settings the older they are. I don't want to offend anyone but I'm in my thirties and everytime I have to fight some goblins or stop some ancient evil trying to take over the world I feel embarrassed. I love playing games like Divinity: Original Sin, I like the mechanics and interacting with the world, but I'm getting more and more tired of plots, settings and characters my 10 year old daughter loves to watch on Sunday mornings.

Again, if people love these stories I respect that completely, it's just my personal beef. That's why I want KCD to succeed so much, so more games like it are made.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
How does leveling and character progression work? Do you roll stats or pick perks, or is everyone's Henry the same at the start?

I don't know if it supports multiple save files, but I definitely want to play as a nonviolent (as much as possible) bard/thief and then again as a heavy

It is the same for everyone at the start, you have to pick perks and you level each skill with doing the stuff you want level up, like fighting, lock picking, talking and many many many more. Every 2 level ups you can choose a perk for the specific skills.

KatiePT

Jan 25, 2018
It is the same for everyone at the start, you have to pick perks and you level each skill with doing the stuff you want level up, like fighting, lock picking, talking and many many many more. Every 2 level ups you can choose a perk for the specific skills.

So you level up lockpicking by training on various locks? And you have no lockpicking skill at the beginning? Probably the reason why people complained lockpicking is hard.

Also - I've just found a video where the guy talked about how empty and bland the world seems (he's not playing, just reacting to another video). How is the world? I think people were concerned the world would be bland if you won't be finding dragon lairs and ancient ruins around the landscape. What kind of activities are there (no need to reply if you can't do it without spoilers). Thanks!

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
anybody who played have any opinion as to controller vs kb/m?

not sure which one i want to go with here. kb/m is my go to but looks like the combat may be better suited with a controller, i dunno

Last edited:

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Haha Saw a youtube video of the game where the player engaged in a fist fight with a bumkin that took over ten minutes...

Shinjica

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

so this is Morrowind non-fantasy 2018

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can we see some screenshots from PS4 Pro please?

Here you go. PS4 Pro @ 1080P

kingdomcome_deliverana4slf.png

kingdomcome_deliveran07sut.png

kingdomcome_deliveranahs2n.png

kingdomcome_deliveranazs9j.png

kingdomcome_deliveran26s5g.png

kingdomcome_deliverann3sho.png

kingdomcome_deliverangss9l.png

I now can confirm that it's also in the Ps4 Pro version. It is only visible for me if i really, really try to find it. But if i turn the camera slowly and look for it i can see the little jumping in the frames.

To be honest i wouldn't have caught it in normal gameplay. And here i thought i knew what i was talking about... But on the other isde i'm happy that i don't see it that quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.