• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Currently playing Skyrim in VR, It's unbeatable medieval fantasy immersion, But i like the look of this game, May pick it up if they can patch a couple of issues i have with it .

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
This achievement is going to be challenging. ;P
0WiVyBN.png
I do that all the time.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
So you level up lockpicking by training on various locks? And you have no lockpicking skill at the beginning? Probably the reason why people complained lockpicking is hard.

Also - I've just found a video where the guy talked about how empty and bland the world seems (he's not playing, just reacting to another video). How is the world? I think people were concerned the world would be bland if you won't be finding dragon lairs and ancient ruins around the landscape. What kind of activities are there (no need to reply if you can't do it without spoilers). Thanks!

I still believe lockpicking with the controller is broken. I had a sidequest where the NPC was teaching me lockpicking and I had maybe 10 lockpicks, I couldn't get the "very easy" chest open, it just breaks out of nowhere, you can't hold the yellow ball it's flickering like crazy. PC videos from the beta looks way steadier and easier.

The world is beautiful at least what I saw so far. Great little villages, fantastic woods, I just enjoy the pure nature in this game. I don't know what people expect from a game world from 1403, seriously.

Activities? You can, as example hunt animals for some huntsman. More I don't know yet, I'm still right behind the opening of the world doing some side quest, everything is very time investing and thats great.

Last edited:

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Lock picking is definitely broken on console. Haven't managed to pick one lock at this point.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is the game base ps4 30fps ?

And ps4 pro 60fps?

Oct 29, 2017
So far the only real problem I have with the game is the saving system. It's just annoying not being able to save whenever you want, especially with the fact that the drinks you need to save are very expensive early on and autosaves aren't frequent enough for it not to be a problem.

Also the lockpicking on console is insanely hard and I hate it. lol

Type422

Nov 28, 2017
Yeah, lockpicking seems kinda random sometimes. Were successful sometimes right in the middle, then my lockpick broke randomly another time. Could be dependent on stats, but I think the teaching lock wouldn't be so hard it wasn't some kind of bug.

Other than the lockpicking, I've enjoyed my time with the game so far. Was also surprised by the (at least for me) engaging Story and even the fights are fun so far...okay, apart from some fist street fighting, I fought like two times or something like that, but it felt good. Looking forward to spend more time with it.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
So I like Dark Souls type games (including BB, Nioh, Surge etc) but I like gameplay variety through things like magic, Ninjitsu, Elemental weapons and a large variety of enemy types.

Is the game purely limited by reality? Like can you carry multiple weapons types (or is it considered too heavy to be realistic eg to carry a bow and sword and hammer etc), can you do weapon upgrading etc?

Frostman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great Britain
I think people appreciate non-fantasy settings the older they are. I don't want to offend anyone but I'm in my thirties and everytime I have to fight some goblins or stop some ancient evil trying to take over the world I feel embarrassed. I love playing games like Divinity: Original Sin, I like the mechanics and interacting with the world, but I'm getting more and more tired of plots, settings and characters my 10 year old daughter loves to watch on Sunday mornings.

Again, if people love these stories I respect that completely, it's just my personal beef. That's why I want KCD to succeed so much, so more games like it are made.
I agree with everything you've said here!

And I also hope this game does really well. I think it will gain a solid audience on PC especially, considering how open they are too modding.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
early impressions are damn good, looks like this will be a fantastic and memorable RPG.
pretty hyped now. my first run will definitely be a speech/persuasion character.

does anyone know if physical backers get 2 keys?

If I get physical as well as digital copy of the game, how many licenses do I get?
This depends on your Tier (and we apologize it is not clearer in the tier description):

On Baron and Earl tier you only receive one license (i.e. you can play either one, but you cannot for example sell the box and keep the digital copy). Obviously, both physical and digital license have to be on the same platform.

From Duke tier upwards you receive additional digital copy, meaning extra digital license. The physical and 'first' digital copy again have to be for the same platform, but the extra license can be for a different one.

To sum it up:

Soldier: 1 license, digital copy (Win/Mac/Linux/Xbox/PS4) OR physical copy (Win/Mac/Linux)
Knight: 1 license, digital copy (Win/Mac/Linux/Xbox/PS4) OR physical copy (Win/Mac/Linux)
Baron: Win/Mac/Linux/Xbox/PS4, 1 license, digital AND physical
Earl: Win/Mac/Linux/Xbox/PS4, 1 license, digital AND physical
Duke: Win/Mac/Linux/Xbox/PS4, 2 licenses, digital AND physical
… all higher tiers are like Duke in this respect
At least this was the case in 2014. Things might've changed.

I'm Earl and I redeemed a (Beta Access) key in October 2014, which I presumed would basically act like an early access license and become the full game when it was released. But then on my kingdomcomerpg.com profile page there was a key that I tried putting in Steam which gave me the full game. So I guess you technically can get two keys, but one is specifically for the beta only.

Last edited:

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
We need more games with dark nights. I love how it completely changes the way you play the game, from having to carry a torch, being able to sneak more effectively or just having to look for a place to sleep until morning.

Frostman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great Britain
These screen caps are gorgeous.

And now we know both enhanced consoles have framepacing issues, we can assume both standard consoles will also have this problem for console players.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I agree with everything you've said here!

And I also hope this game does really well. I think it will gain a solid audience on PC especially, considering how open they are too modding.

Looking at the game mechanics it's clear to see they are targeting the older demographic with this game.

Some people are in for the shock of their lives when they discover their actions have consequences and that you can't just fast travel everywhere from the start.

It's a throwback to the older style of RPG's that we commonly used to see on the PC.

Frostman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great Britain
Looking at the game mechanics it's clear to see they are targeting the older demographic with this game.

Some people are in for the shock of their lives when they discover their actions have consequences and that you can't just fast travel everywhere from the start.

It's a throwback to the older style of RPG's that we commonly used to see on the PC.

I agree with this as well, and I welcome the return of this older style RPG.

And the boldened line is something I've been guilty of in more recent games to be honest. The last game I didn't abuse that is the Witcher 3. Not having the feature would be a nice return.

Last edited:

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Absolutely cannot stand bad frame pacing. Looks like I'm getting it on PC, will be happy with 1440p/60fps but I'm not expecting it on my 1070.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I could have backed this game for 20$can back in 2015 now I have to buy it for 80$ for fuck sake....

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
bKiLq6n.png

vis00XQ.png

scM1k7W.png

zcuKUhh.png

I love how the night looks in this game!

I live in a city that is placed very close to the borders of Czech Republic, so you can't imagine what is it for me to see all of those amazing screens. It's really impressive what Warhorse managed to achieve. Can't wait for my copy of the game to finally arrive.

Do you play on Xbox One X or regular Xbox One? What is your opinion about the UI?

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
We need more games with dark nights. I love how it completely changes the way you play the game, from having to carry a torch, being able to sneak more effectively or just having to look for a place to sleep until morning.

I LOVE the night mods in skyrim that make night actually....night. Running around during the night is no longer just the same game with a little bit of a dark filter over the game, it becomes an actual scary experience and something you try to avoid.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Cdkeys just changes their price in the last few hours sadly, so it's up about $5 or so which is typical close to release. There's a few otherso cheaper so I might roll the dice but we shall see.

In terms of the political nature this game has I'm grateful to have a clear moderation ethos and that we can discuss the actual game contents. I believe that Vavra's views are abhorrent and disgusting and I'm not even full swing Labor (or whatever it is in America that's the same), but in saying that I believe the development team as a whole do not share those views.

This game is shaping up to be pretty significant for the grounded, true medieval RPG experience that has sorely been missing since the early days of gaming. I'm incredibly excited.

Rigby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could anyone give their impressions of the PS4 OG version?

I hope this game sells well.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So far the only real problem I have with the game is the saving system. It's just annoying not being able to save whenever you want, especially with the fact that the drinks you need to save are very expensive early on and autosaves aren't frequent enough for it not to be a problem.

Also the lockpicking on console is insanely hard and I hate it. lol
Saving is locked behind a brought consumable?

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sold on the game on the pitch alone. Are PC performance benchmarks out yet?

KatiePT

Jan 25, 2018
So the screenshots are from a Gamespot forum. Some more for us to enjoy :D

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/sys...liverance-est2017-has-some-insanely-33386414/

Obviously this is not how MOST people will see the game since there will be downgrade for the sake of performance, plus only a select few have the kind of super expensive graphic card to run the game on Ultra. But it's still worth posting, just for the aesthetic quality. I for one have never seen anything like it.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why isn't there the OT already? It's 72 hours before release.

Anyway, I love it more and more as more I play. When the game opens up after 9 hours, it's so f'n beautiful. Did a sidequest now where I have to catch birds and it is just fun walking to these beautiful woods and enjoying the game mechanics. Right now, it could be a serious GOTY contender for me if it continues to keep me sucked in to his world.

The OST is incredible.

I did huge postings about other things of the game, fighting, frame pacing problems, survival aspect, gifs and more twice so I won't repeat it here until the OT comes, but if you want to read about that, here is the direct link:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/kingdom-come-deliverance-impressions-thread-tread-lightly.22499/#post-4402670

Oh, also, I did a fist fighting sidequest and I think this is the very first time a video game implemented the heaviness and the outcome of such a fight this perfectly. Had the third fight of the quest and while I successfully beat my opponent, my body was hurt, my life and stamina was cut in half and my clothes were broken down to around 40-0% durability which you can even see cause the clothes literally get dirty and torn. You can feel that your character had a fist fight with a real human person and you can't do that against 3 other people at the same time or right after, it was the perfect feeling. I hope this won't change later when I have more skill and everything, but at this point, it felt amazing.

More pictures and gifs are coming later.

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to post all of these impressions, mate, they're very insightful.

You have to craft a potion in the game...to help someone who is pooping blood lol

Oof, dysentery.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
So is the game good or mediocre? Edge?

Good, really good.

Of course, technical wise with many little tiny "Elder Scrolls" like bugs and glitches but it's not hurting the game, it's rather charming and for a first game, it's impressive.

RmetwyR.gif

Wow, once you come to the advanced combat tutorial, the sword fight mechanisms get really exiting, feels fantastic!

Last edited:

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Another impression

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/kingdom-come-deliverance.384863/page-9#post-5519016

Well I played about 5 or 6 hours of this game on my Xbox One X once the 21.75 GB Day One update a.k.a. actual game install (since nothing but 162 MB is installed from the disc) and my conclusion is that this is a good game overall but not without some issues.

For one, the game is stable but the framerate is certainly not a consistent 30 fps on console. There is very noticeable judder when panning the camera and the game goes from feeling smooth indoors, where there's obvious less to draw, to being a bit jerky outdoors. It's not unplayable but if you're sensitive to framerate variance then you will definitely notice it. There are also graphical glitches; I saw what looked like black outlines flickering around buildings a few times and some janky weirdness with camera angles in a few of the cutscenes.

Otherwise, visually the game is pleasant rather than stunning. going for a more realistic look to the world such that buildings and the countryside tend to look samey because they are all in the same locale. Character models are acceptable; some look quite good, especially in the cutscenes, but others can look alarmingly last generation, not helped by some poor facial animations and that classic "dead eyed" look. It's leagues ahead of, say, Skyrim but not quite up to the benchmark standard set by The Witcher 3 IMO. Once I got used to that though, then I started to appreciate the attention to detail elsewhere; you have a physical body in this game, you see your hand closing/opening doors (and as far as I am aware they only open/close one way unlike many other games that have doors that open in *and* out!), when picking up items in first person (collecting plants is shown third-person for some reason) and so on. There's a real sense of being the person you are playing and I really like that. Of course, it's not without hiccups such as occasional clipping but it's certainly a cut above other first-person games IMO. Impressive.

Combat is interesting. There's an attempt to make the fighting more realistic than other RPGs and it works well for the most part, relying on stamina and strength so you cannot just keep repeatedly stabbing buttons to win. Fighting with your fists also feels very different to using a sword, as you would expect, and it works well in first-person. I did have a bow but couldn't work out how to actually fire it I'm embarrassed to say! Everything you do in the game, increases some stat of other; speaking to people in a positive way increases the Speech ability, collecting plants increases the Herbalist ability, fighting increases Strength and so on. Pretty much like how a Bethesda Elder Scrolls games works.

The first few hours of the game have a lot of cutscenes but thankfully the story and writing is good and the voice acting mostly decent with some characters being better than others but that's par for the course in any modern RPG. The only voices I found jarring where the American accents but to be fair even English ones are really out of place since this is set in mainland Europe, in the kingdom of Bohemia, not the England anyway. The numerous cutscenes are well done apart from the odd camera hiccup (as mentioned) and the dialogue mostly well-written. The opening section has a set number of quests that need to be done, which introduce you to the game mechanics, but the choice of how to do them is surprisingly varied. For example, I watched a walkthrough while the game was installing and I played it in a totally different way to that YouTuber (ESO). Characters react to what you've done, how you look (for example commenting on if you are dirty from a fight!) and you get different dialogue choices and things you can do depending on the progress of the quests. You also need to eat and sleep. Food you collect can apparently go off although I haven't played that long to come across it. You can get dirty and there are places you can bathe! I washed myself in a trough for example but was told that I'd need to take a bath to get fully cleaned!

Of course, the opening section is set within a small area and eventually leads to a pre-set situation that takes you to the next part of the game. This section I had issues with as it is basically (without wanting to spoil it too much) where you have to get a horse and then ride to the next town. This section was immensely frustrating because you are being pursued and the horse has stamina which eventually runs out. You cannot just go anywhere either, you have to go to this specific town and, obviously, being new to the game I had absolutely no idea where that actually was. If you slow down, which happens because the length of the ride is longer than the horse has stamina for, then you get shot and can die here. It took me five attempts to complete this, not helped by the fact that the game auto-saves at a point before you reach the horse so you have to repeat lengthy sections each time. You can save manually here though before the chase but that was something I only found out after dying several times. I found this section very poorly executed and annoying to be honest because it is forced on the player and there is no way to avoid it. There is no choice in how you can tackle it; you cannot fight the pursuers, you cannot take a different route, you have to stick to this one route and hope that you reach the cutscene trigger point to the next town before you get killed. Utterly horrid IMO.

After a brief section in this new area (which you can explore more if you want) and several more lengthy cutscenes, you then head to a certain location and the game's cinematic opening credits appear (yes, five hours into the game!). After that you seem to be granted more freedom from this point on to explore and do quests. There's a lot to like about this game; the attention to historical detail is really impressive (with a HUGE Codex section that constantly adds new things as you come across them), the story and cutscenes are very good and the focus on making the game more realistic makes it stand out from Oblivion/Skyrim which it otherwise resembles in many ways (minus their magic/fantasy elements). The combat is interesting so far, I've not played enough to properly comment on whether it's good or bad overall, plus the game has options to avoid combat if you choose to play it that way. In fact, early on in the game a character specifically mentions talking your way out of situations rather than fighting.

I think the game shows a lot of potential from what I've played so far. It's not perfect, the game was made with a $5 million budget, I believe, so there are plenty of rough edges to be seen in every aspect of the game; NPCs can get stuck on scenery, they can clip through each other and the framerate isn't great but the ambition on show is very commendable and it's definitely a cut above "low-budget" RPG fare like, say, ELEX and the Risen franchise. The game world, for the most part, feels like a real place and it's easy to get immersed in it, something that is essential for any good RPG in my experience. There are some oddities though, perhaps as a result of trying to make the game more realistic (yes, that word again) and that it that there is surprisingly little loot that can be picked up apart from food. There are lots of chests but almost all of them are locked, requiring lockpicks and a mini-game to open. I got a lockpick at one point but could not work out how to use it (duh!) so I suspect the contents of most of those chests is going to be out of reach until I figure that out. Dead guards can be looted for armour and weapons but most dead NPCs seem to have two items, usually food of some kind. Most barrels cannot be looted and I've yet to come across any money from robbing houses or chests. Some people may welcome that though; sometimes there's a tendency to have too much loot to collect in games but here in seems too much the other way. Six hours in and I still had no real money for example (there is a bartering system however that allows you to sell stuff against bought ones).

The one thing that stands out in this game above all other RPGs I've played is how much the developers have tried to make everything in the game world realistic in some way while still allowing for role-playing elements. This may not be to everyone's liking, some may find the game dull because of the focus on realism and historical accuracy, but I am finding it very interesting so far.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Good, really good.

Of course, technical wise with many little tiny "Elder Scrolls" like bugs and glitches but it's not hurting the game, it's rather charming and for a first game, it's impressive.

MlsyrKN.gif

Wow, once you come to the advanced combat tutorial, the sword fight mechanisms get really exiting, feels fantastic!
Wouldn't call it a first game.

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's like taking a five minute stroll from out my area of residence at points. I'm genuinely surprised at how good this game looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.