• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
An OP cannot create thread policy. As we have said before, discussion on all aspects of the game, including the beliefs of the director and how they might be reflected in the content, are safe to mention.

Be civil and polite to each other. Do not attack other members because they intend to buy the game. Do not attack other members because they take issue with the creator.

When the OT for the game is posted we will at that time include a policy on how that will be handled.

Since it seems that the one and only thread that had user impressions of the game has now been locked because it turned to shit due to particular posters, I wanted to make a thread for those that are interested in the game itself, not the politics around the game. We have a few people here that own the game and are actively playing the game and there seems to be a large amount of people interested in reading these impressions, watching gifs created, pictures and video's.

So for those of you that have the game or have played the game, please use this thread to post your impressions and for those merely interested we can use this thread to ask questions. Please refrain from the politics about the game and if you are so interested in discussing that subject, create a thread and enjoy.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Cross-posting His Majesty post from the locked thread:

Gamestar.de had some early impressions
  • Performance on PC seems very good - they are surprised
  • Few bugs and glitches, nothing game/immersion breaking so far
  • Good quests and many ways to solve them
  • Very authentic and dynamic medieval world reacting to your decisions
  • Mediocre story
  • Starts rather slow and linear, opens up after ~10 hours
  • Stunning world in terms of graphics but animations in dialogues could be better
  • Game feels more like a game rather a simulation
  • Score "just" between 70 - 80 because the tester does not know if the rather slow and complex/realistic gameplay is for everyone or just genre fans. Game is really good as for what it is so he is really hesitating with the score.
Could be a pretty good score for the first big game of this company.

edit: additions from an earlier preview (8 hours played) - also paywall http://www.gamestar.de/artikel/kingdom-come-deliverance-der-schmale-grat,3322982.html

• Combat is excellent and complex
  • Each weapon feels differernt
  • Detailed calculation of collisions
  • "No game ever has nailed sword fights like KC:D"

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
There doesn't appear to be a retail strategy guide to accompany this deep, open-ended RPG experience. Looks like we'll be counting on the Wiki & each other!

OP
OP
Hawk269

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
There doesn't appear to be a retail strategy guide to accompany this deep, open-ended RPG experience. Looks like we'll be counting on the Wiki & each other!

I kind of like that. It is nice to have a game that does not hold your hand or a guide to make it easy. From some impressions, the game is really well done and aside from some odd stuff here and there, the game seems to be a bit more realistic than Elder Scroll's games and/or Witcher 3. Looking forward to it big time, just concerned about the frame pacing that Edge mentioned for the "X" version.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
game is certainly shaping up not to be a dud, at the very least

surprised the combat impressions are generally positive. i thought that was going to be the buzzkill

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Someone predisposed to not like the game based on genre preference should not be reviewing the game.

My point is that a review should score the game based on how the reviewer feels about the game, and not make adjustments based on what he or she thinks other people might feel about it.

Also, please remember that PC Gamer gave Baldur's Gate 2 an 82 back in the day. Reviews are opinions.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Edge

How is the story so far?

- So far, really good. The main story plot up to the point where you finally see the opening credits (9 hours for me, but it's probably way faster for other players) is really well made and you have some long and interesting dialogues. The presentation is better than I ever thought, I did not expect that.
Need more side quest to really assess them, but the main story delivers so far.

- Soundtrack is amazing

- Lockpicking with the controller seems kind of broken and very very hard

- Fighting is deep and fantastic

Man, I really really enjoy all the long conversations I had so far, this game oozes atmosphere. I also love how many deep mechanics it has, I would love to just show you every page from the codex menu cause every single one sounds so cool and deep implemented.

Here are some examples.

AIxN5Li.png

CSKgDut.png

Fighting tutorial:

It pretty much is survival, full blown.

You have to sleep, you have to eat, you can get drunk and if you abuse the quicksave you can get addicted, you can get hurt on arms(?) and feet which cuts your stamina and life in half and it makes you bleed, if you don't have bandages it will never stop and shrinks your maximum life until you die, you can get poisoned, your clothes can break down and get dirty and you can even see it visually and I'm sure there is a lot more that I forgot now.

aiRwcFW.gif

TLMdFe2.png

kOJI6yp.png

njgu9u9.gif

Fantastic game so far with one issue.

Xbox One (X) version has constant frame pacing issues, all the time every 1-2 seconds, it's almost impossible to make good gifs with it, running in one direction works to make it almost invincible (but not completely, look at the forest gif on the right bushes, it skips frames every 1 or 2 seconds, in fact you can see it in every gif) but turning around the camera makes it really hard to unsee, like in this gif:

g01HMxZ.gif

And finally in video form, where you can't unsee it.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Really pumped to see how this turns out. Think I'll wait a while to buy just because my backlog is ridiculous and I'd like to see them iron out has mant issues as they can post launch.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only a few hours in but I'm enjoying myself. Started the PC version last night. I feel like it's still going to take some time before I'm ever even close to being comfortable with the combat, but given the systems at work here, perhaps that's the point of it in the very early game where I am.

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It pretty much is survival, full blown.

You have to sleep, you have to eat, you can get drunk and if you abuse the quicksave you can get addicted, you can get hurt on arms(?) and feet which cuts your stamina and life in half and it makes you bleed, if you don't have bandages it will never stop and shrinks your maximum life until you die, you can get poisoned, your clothes can break down and get dirty and you can even see it visually and I'm sure there is a lot more that I forgot now.

I really like the sound of this. I always use survival mods in Bethesda games that add thirst/hunger/fatigue, as well as diseases and in Skyrim hypothermia.
Of course these mods don't inhibit gameplay, so I hope the system in place here isn't tedious.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
An OP cannot create thread policy. As we have said before, discussion on all aspects of the game, including the beliefs of the director and how they might be reflected in the content, are safe to mention.

Be civil and polite to each other. Do not attack other members because they intend to buy the game. Do not attack other members because they take issue with the creator.

When the OT for the game is posted we will at that time include a policy on how that will be handled.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

surprised the combat impressions are generally positive. i thought that was going to be the buzzkill

It seems like the depth is there, but I wonder if the clunkiness that seems to be present from gameplay videos will be a turn-off. But if impressions are positive, that's good news.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
It seems it's an Interesting game but one that will play better a few months down the line.

I have faith in the studio and this might be their Witcher 1 moment. Can't wait for their Witcher 2.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, that's not how reviews should work.

I'm astonished that some people in this thread even argued this point.

A reviewer isn't supposed to play a game and constantly ask himself if other people will like it - he's supposed to ask himself if HE likes the game, and then gives reasons why he likes or dislikes it.

A good reviewer will give the reader strong insights into what the game will be like by clearly stating his opinions - not anxiously wondering if his readers will agree with his final score.

And what's the deal with 'reviews can be whatever the reviewer wants them to be' - what class of nonsense is this? Reviews aren't supposed to validate people's opinions. They're supposed to inform gamers about one person's experiences with a game.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017

Nah, from the moment I saw that combat system I was pretty sure it's gonna be great, it may look clunky when you watch, but it definitely seems like there is some depth to it and it may be very fun to actually play around with it.

Also lol at that 'score' in the second post.

I'm astonished that some people in this thread even argued this point.

A reviewer isn't supposed to play a game and constantly ask himself if other people will like it - he's supposed to ask himself if HE likes the game, and then gives reasons why he likes or dislikes it.

A good reviewer will give the reader strong insights into what the game will be like by clearly stating his opinions - not anxiously wondering if his readers will agree with his final score.

And what's the deal with 'reviews can be whatever the reviewer wants them to be' - what class of nonsense is this? Reviews aren't supposed to validate people's opinions. They're supposed to inform gamers about one person's experiences with a game.

tumblr_mwzszinQc61rzik3go1_400.gif

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
An OP cannot create thread policy. As we have said before, discussion on all aspects of the game, including the political beliefs of the director and how that might be reflected in the content, are safe to mention.

The messaging on this issue per thread has been very inconsistent to say the least, one person for instance was banned yesterday for discussing the creator's issues, and multiple mods have made statements to "stay on topic" and to not discuss said creator. So maybe aim for a bit more consistency on the policies because frankly it seems like you and mods are just tossing a coin as to where you're going to lean on the issue on what can or can't be discussed re: the politics of this game's director on a per thread basis. Like, pick one thing and stick to it cause this is getting ridiculous what with the mixed messaging and multiple thread closures, thanks.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Being a gaming enthusiast, it's become impossible to ignore this game... I'll be pre-ordering, and pre-downloading on my ultra slow internet connection.

I now just want to see for myself how this games turns out. This is one of those games that, even if it turns out bad, the experience of discovering that will itself be entertaining.

Suddenly I'm genuinely excited about this game.

OP
OP
Hawk269

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
The messaging on this issue per thread has been very inconsistent to say the least, one person for instance was banned yesterday for discussing the creator's issues, and multiple mods have made statements to "stay on topic" and to not discuss said creator. So maybe aim for a bit more consistency on the policies because frankly it seems like you and mods are just tossing a coin as to where you're going to lean on the issue on what can or can't be discussed re: the politics of this game's director on a per thread basis. Like, pick one thing and stick to it cause this is getting ridiculous what with the mixed messaging and multiple thread closures, thanks.

Well said. In the last thread that was closed I wish the Mods would of just banned or warned the offenders instead of closing it. It was the only thread with impressions and such and the reason I created this thread. I know I am just a "poster" on this thread and I technically cannot create thread policies, but I sure wish that the people that do have that power were more consistent like you mentioned.

Anyways, I don't want to take away from what the point of this thread is, which is impressions. I know there are a few here that have the PS4/PRO version, so I hope that some of them post impressions about that version. Edge, thank you again for posting your screen shots and video's. Would love to read some updated impressions now that you have had more time with the game. I heard after the first 10 or so hours it really opens up.

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping to have my build finished in time for this AGH!

But it seems (at least from these impressions) that Warhorse managed to deliver exactly what I was looking for, just need to check out the writing by myself. :)

Praise Vávra.
(cue me being shat on)

Jaybe00

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
That's a good cdkeys price in CAD. Hope it stays that price past the first few days of reviews/impressions.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, combat is actually good, eh?

One of Witcher's biggest annoyances was combat, so that's good to hear. Didnt realize quest solving was multi faceted either, wonder how deep it is and if you are presented with decent options. Too bad about the story, if it's indeed mediocre.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
But where else is more appropriate to discuss the views of Brietbart and Trump's twitter responses to Charlottesville than a KC:D GAMEPLAY impressions thread?

Politics aside, these impressions sound fantastic!
Alleviating some worries on console, that's for sure. Can't wait to dig in to all the nuances of the combat and armor layering.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I'm real interested, and have preordered on Steam. Gotta be able to refund if I need to though, but my impressions from vids are good.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I've been eyeballing that Cdkeys price for a bit. I've never preordered anything from them so I'm hoping the price remains the same for the launch.
Everything I've seen of KCD looks amazing. Looks like a tremendous amount of work went into it.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I disagree in the sense that the review needs to put into perspective expectations of the player. Not everyone will like the same games or same genres. As long as the review is thorough why do you sweat the score anyway? 7-8 are pretty close and it seems the game is good either way.

In my opinion, if the reviewer feels that a certain game might not be for everybody then he or she may mention it in the review itself, not base the final score around that fact.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017

We separated discussion in the thread about the Day One patch as that was a narrow and specific news thread. Impressions about the game encompass all aspects of the game. In such threads our policy is as stated here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
My main question regarding the controversial aspects of the devs is if those attitudes are reflected in the narrative or how characters are portrayed

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
My main question regarding the controversial aspects of the devs is if those attitudes are reflected in the narrative or how characters are portrayed
I'm only a few hours in but I don't believe I've seen anything that reflects those sorts of viewpoints or opinions. If there is anything there, it's either not present at all, not present at the start, or it's very subtle.

Deleted member 13250

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In my opinion, if the reviewer feels that a certain game might not be for everybody then he or she may mention it in the review itself, not base the final score around that fact.
I mean yea if this reviewer was debating between giving it a 6 or 9 and lets player expectation influence the score maybe but he said between a 70 or 80. He seems settled on the quality on display here. If I were him I'd give it a 75 and tell readers to add or subtract 5 based on their interest in the game.

Golden_Pigeon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I came here to post that. I don't know anymore if we can speak about it or not.

I think it's an important issue because it's the only recent example of a game clearly made by someone who show support to GG and is following alt.right shit on his twitter.
I don't think it's fair that someone by the game to later realize he was supporting this.

edit: didn't saw the Sweet Nicole statement before posting that, fair enough

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Fantastic game so far with one issue.

Xbox One (X) version has constant frame pacing issues, all the time every 1-2 seconds, it's almost impossible to make good gifs with it, running in one direction works to make it almost invincible (but not completely, look at the forest gif on the right bushes, it skips frames every 1 or 2 seconds, in fact you can see it in every gif) but turning around the camera makes it really hard to unsee, like in this gif:

g01HMxZ.gif

Sounds really good. Any word on the PS4 version? Does it also suffer from frame pacing issues?

Valkyr1983

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NH, United States
I was hoping to have my build finished in time for this AGH!

But it seems (at least from these impressions) that Warhorse managed to deliver exactly what I was looking for, just need to check out the writing by myself. :)

Praise Vávra.
(cue me being shat on)

Nope

Praise Vávra indeed

Studio seems so talented and I can't wait to play this and see what's next from them

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't hear about this game until a few weeks ago but I was really excited when I did. Seems like the type of game I would really like, immersive, very open with lots of options to fuck around. Hearing you are stuck with a set character you can't really change along with the heavy story emphasis and watching some quest videos kind of dampened the excitement though. They seemed kind of dry and samey despite some various ways to go about things. Same with the art just seemed kind of bland. Still probably get it but I hope it's a little more interesting quests than the ones I saw already.

Last edited:

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ignoring the creator views, I really want to play this game, but for me first person view is a no in open world games since I love to freely move the camera while traveling the world.

Also, I saw a tráiler on the ps4 and the models were off putting for me.

This is a game where a demo could convince me to play it, but I still will feel uneasy giving money to that idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.