• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Had I known Vavra's views, I wouldn't have backed his game but that was before gamergate or the alt right started popping up.

Anyway, as I have already purchased the game, I'm hoping for some reviews to decide if it's a game I want to play on launch and spend dozens of hours on it, or should I just play another RPG from my backlog like Persona 5 or FF15.

This is the game I am looking for. Kind of like mount and blade, but with some more realistic mechanics, but the footage playstation has been showing off, hasnt been too promising.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
I caved on the CDKeys price of $40 USD. Anyone have experience with their pre-orders? Keys show up reliably? There's a link in my email receipt - I just need to check periodically as we get closer to the 13th? I won't get to play until late on the 13th so I'm not too worried. I purchased from them before, but only for a released game and had no problems.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
We separated discussion in the thread about the Day One patch as that was a narrow and specific news thread. Impressions about the game encompass all aspects of the game. In such threads our policy is as stated here.

I see, thanks for clarifying.

Anywho, I'm looking forward to Tuesday and really glad to see positive early impressions, was getting antsy that the euro jank was a bit too strong with this one based on some of the earlier released videos. Also, I hope they release an hdr patch at some point, the lighting model in this game would look positively gorgeous with it if the hdr is done right.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I caved on the CDKeys price of $40 USD. Anyone have experience with their pre-orders? Keys show up reliably? There's a link in my email receipt - I just need to check periodically as we get closer to the 13th? I won't get to play until late on the 13th so I'm not too worried. I purchased from them before, but only for a released game and had no problems.

They are really good with dates. You will get it before release (I also ordered on CDKeys). I have never had them be late before.

Oct 31, 2017
Uh, that's not how reviews should work.
Literally my first thought reading that sentence, and to be clear it doesn't have anything to do with scoring "too low" or "too high".

I just find the idea of a reviewer playing a game and planning to tune his verdict according to a prediction of "how much everyone else could like it" quite ridiculous.
That shouldn't be your concern at all. Just tell us how *you* feel about the game.

Golden_Pigeon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm putting some of the posts of Vavrá on his facebook so everyone can buy (or not buy) knowingly. This is a special response with everyone saying that he was not far-right nor he really knew what american politics were, so we should'nt judge him:

It was pretty long since he post almost everyday and i had to use a lot of automatic translation, i noticed a pattern: when he want to says something that could seems bigoted, he post it in Czech. There was some hardcore stuff about muslims but i wouldn't trust google translation about it so i won't post some of those here. However, everytime a muslim or anything related with black people, it was always negatively, from what i've seen:

(yes this was a fun saturday evening, thanks for asking)

Sylar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's creepy dude. Maybe you should estalk actual bad people like rapists and not video game personalities.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
That's creepy dude. Maybe you should estalk actual bad people like rapists and not video game personalities.
So being a video game "personality" absolves them of any guilt and free from any judgement?

If you backed the game and opted for the PC version, you can now retrieve your key by linking your Warhorse and Steam accounts. The game and any DLC associated with your pledge tier will automagically be added to your library.
Yep just added to my steam. Any idea when we can preload?

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Either address the content of the post or don't fucking post at all. Trying to make character attacks just exposes you for what you are.

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
If it's worth playing I'll probably buy this off CDKeys so I can give as little money as possible to this shitheel.

Game has to really be something though to justify that.

Sylar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I too will not buy a game because one guy one time had bad opinions even though the game was literally made by 100+ people.

If people took this stance on every game they wouldn't buy most of Nintendo's games either.

Oct 29, 2017
The messaging on this issue per thread has been very inconsistent to say the least, one person for instance was banned yesterday for discussing the creator's issues, and multiple mods have made statements to "stay on topic" and to not discuss said creator. So maybe aim for a bit more consistency on the policies because frankly it seems like you and mods are just tossing a coin as to where you're going to lean on the issue on what can or can't be discussed re: the politics of this game's director on a per thread basis. Like, pick one thing and stick to it cause this is getting ridiculous what with the mixed messaging and multiple thread closures, thanks.

I just want to go on record and state that I was one of the people warned prior to thread lock in an earlier thread today. I immediately sent a message to the mod in question who said my warning was discussed and then rescinded. I feel like they took care of it swiftly, and more generally I appreciate that the policy here encourages people to talk about games as cultural objects instead of limiting criticism to solely game mechanics or subjective enjoyment.

Damian Mahadevan

User banned for use of alt account
Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Had I known Vavra's views, I wouldn't have backed his game but that was before gamergate or the alt right started popping up.

Anyway, as I have already purchased the game, I'm hoping for some reviews to decide if it's a game I want to play on launch and spend dozens of hours on it, or should I just play another RPG from my backlog like Persona 5 or FF15.

This is the game I am looking for. Kind of like mount and blade, but with some more realistic mechanics, but the footage playstation has been showing off, hasnt been too promising.

I have no issues with Vavra's views. How much did you back the game with? If it is less than $50 USD, I offer to buy the key off you through paypal, so that you feel that you have not contributed to him.

Oct 29, 2017
I too will not buy a game because one guy one time had bad opinions even though the game was literally made by 100+ people.

If people took this stance on every game they wouldn't buy most of Nintendo's games either.

The issue is that he is the creative head of this project. In filmmaking he would be called an auteur, and criticisms of the auteur/director especially regarding statements that actually involve the game (like his decision not to include people of color) are very much valid points of discussion. And we are doing the medium a disservice by constantly burying our heads in the sand to these issues.

The point is that he has actively chosen to engage with a community of bigots and white nationalists. If he has a point to be made about sensitivity, there is a way to go about it that doesn't involve openly courting the GamerGate movement with tweets like https://twitter.com/DanielVavra/status/570203427537625088 and fanning reactionary flames by mocking women who have received death threats by this "movement" see fake/spoof Pateron page https://www.patreon.com/danielvavra

The fact of the matter is this guy is actively courting a community of bigots. This is his choice, and it does make me feel bad for the other 70 people that worked on this game. Especially considering people are saying that he has no marketing budget.

Do I think this game is as gratuitous as The Last Night? I don't know, probably not. It just doesn't give me much faith is anything but an incredibly reactionary and close minded person. He literally has tweets where he seems to be denying that Moors were a real group of people. https://twitter.com/danielvavra/status/569686445344079872?lang=en I mean, I really don't know what to say by that. A more enlightened individual would be willing to take constructive cultural criticism instead of running to the Gamergate reactionaries for defense.

Edit: Damian Mahadeven , I'd be really curious to know why you don't take issue with any of the links I provided above.

Sylar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know I think calling him racist or a bigot is a pretty big stretch considering he created Mafia one of the first games that actually explored minorities in Italian Americans and the racial profiling they dealt with.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I am very much hyped for this game and even contemplated about breaking my pre-order rule but now i am arguing with my self of what kind of person i would be if i give my money to buy a product made by a, as it seems from his posts, ignorant, hateful racist.
I want to support developers that make SP RPGs but i feel that being a decent human being is more important than being a good videogame developer or a visionary artist.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Thanks to the couple of people in this thread and the last thread who are actually posting impressions of the game. Definitely going to pick this game up on release as it's looking really great. It's a shame that every KC:D thread turns into the same back and forth nonsense about things completely unrelated to the game itself. Hopefully common sense will prevail in the OT and we'll be allowed to discuss the game and it's mechanics without having to sift through pages of the same nonsense that we've been seeing in every other thread.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
How's the knight armor in this game? Are there a bunch of variations?
I see different armor in the game. Some ranging from heavy to light. Some variations of heavy. Also some Eastern looking armor. Not sure if you can loot and wear those.

Thanks to the couple of people in this thread and the last thread who are actually posting impressions of the game. Definitely going to pick this game up on release as it's looking really great. It's a shame that every KC:D thread turns into the same back and forth nonsense about things completely unrelated to the game itself. Hopefully common sense will prevail in the OT and we'll be allowed to discuss the game and it's mechanics without having to sift through pages of the same nonsense that we've been seeing in every other thread.
Mods beg to differ.

An OP cannot create thread policy. As we have said before, discussion on all aspects of the game, including the beliefs of the director and how they might be reflected in the content, are safe to mention.

Be civil and polite to each other. Do not attack other members because they intend to buy the game. Do not attack other members because they take issue with the creator.

When the OT for the game is posted we will at that time include a policy on how that will be handled.
It's also pretty insulting of you to insinuate people who have issues with Vavra's views are lacking common sense.

It's really not that difficult to connect the dots to why they're related.

Oct 29, 2017
I am very much hyped for this game and even contemplated about breaking my pre-order rule but now i am arguing with my self of what kind of person i would be if i give my money to buy a product made by a, as it seems from his posts, ignorant, hateful racist.
I want to support developers that make SP RPGs but i feel that being a decent human being is more important than being a good videogame developer or a visionary artist.

I can totally relate to this, I have a feeling that a lot of people think I'm just jumping on this game arbitrarily, but I'm definitely not. I feel almost exactly how you do, and I wish I could support this game because mechanics wise, it has a lot of interesting ideas.

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting impressions, definitely seems like the kind of game that'll hook a certain subset of people and be super boring to everyone else. Not sure which crowd I'm going to be apart of though.

JAT

Oct 27, 2017
I actually missed the drama surrounding this title somehow. Thanks everyone that posted the things this guy said, I'll be sure to avoid it.

Oct 29, 2017
I dont feel that I can fully express what I think about his posts in its entirety here without me getting banned here. If you can find a place where i can post freely I am more than happy to oblige. :)

I don't get the sense that ResetEra would ban you unless you openly espoused bigotry, racism, or sexism. I think as long as you articulate yourself clearly and concisely in accordance with the site rules you shouldn't have anything to be afraid of.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia

Well considering they said:
When the OT for the game is posted we will at that time include a policy on how that will be handled.

I am hopeful that they will have a different policy in place for the OT to hopefully stem the same pointless back and forth arguments we've been seeing in every other thread.

But this isn't the OT thread, and none of the previous KCD threads were the OT thread.

Of course. That's what I'm saying. Hopefully the OT has a better policy in place.

Damian Mahadevan

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I don't get the sense that ResetEra would ban you unless you openly espoused bigotry, racism, or sexism. I think as long as you articulate yourself clearly and concisely in accordance with the site rules you shouldn't have anything to be afraid of.

I have trouble articulating myself because as I try to be as concise as possible. It's highly unlikely for me to cover all those things without one thing I say be seen as of of those things, I will be banned before I get a chance to explain myself.

link85

Oct 25, 2017
Do I think this game is as gratuitous as The Last Night? I don't know, probably not. It just doesn't give me much faith is anything but an incredibly reactionary and close minded person. He literally has tweets where he seems to be denying that Moors were a real group of people. https://twitter.com/danielvavra/status/569686445344079872?lang=en I mean, I really don't know what to say by that. A more enlightened individual would be willing to take constructive cultural criticism instead of running to the Gamergate reactionaries for defense.

Edit: Damian Mahadeven , I'd be really curious to know why you don't take issue with any of the links I provided above.
Nice just make up what he's saying. Where is he denying the Moors aren't a group of people, he's saying they weren't in Bohemia, you know since they were in the Iberian peninsula or Italy.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Game seems too good to pass up, politics aside. It always sucks when one of the public faces of a game turns out to be a right wing asshat though :\

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
And that's a bad thing because? People should stick with their morales and principles.

I can't disagree, i just wish people were not such hypocrites about it. In any other context you would be called someone with a purity test.

But i can definitely see why this is causing all this controversy seeing the posts here. I was only vaguely aware of one of the leads having right wing views, but that's just another level entirely

I don't know I think calling him racist or a bigot is a pretty big stretch considering he created Mafia one of the first games that actually explored minorities in Italian Americans and the racial profiling they dealt with.

Your saying...one can't be a racist because they are interested in a single minority? Are you mad? He literally posted a garbage statistic trying to imply that black people are responsible for a majority of crime in America. "He created mafia that talked about what is largely considered to be a white subgroup, how daring!"

Oct 29, 2017
Nice just make up what he's saying. Where is he denying the Moors aren't a group of people, he's saying they weren't in Bohemia, you know since they were in the Iberian peninsula or Italy.

I don't think anyone is saying that there were a ton of people of color in Bohemia, the issue that people have with Vavra's statements is that he is essentially entrenching himself in this absolutist position that there "were no black people in Bohemia." I'm by no means an expert on this part of European history, but here's a good post about why we should be wary of some of Vavra's claims http://robertwguthrie.com/whats-rac...n-historical-accuracy-is-used-to-deny-agency/

The biggest problem that I have with Vavra is that he seems completely incapable of engaging in feedback in any constructive way and immediately runs to the GamerGate White Nationalist armies to defend him rather than simply listen to folks that have some decent/interesting questions about his game.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
You got me curious. I looked it up.

https://kingdomcomedeliverance.gamepedia.com/Armour

Looks like there's basically 5 types of armor.
Sweet! All I needed to know was if there was plate armor.

Plate.jpg

JORMBO

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game looks interesting. Thanks to the few people that posted their impressions before the derailing.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no issues with Vavra's views.

I have no issues with his views either. At least not his views on Islam. They seem pretty sane to me.

I was at a football/soccer match in an Islamic country after the Paris attacks, and before the game there was an unscheduled minute of silence for the victims. To my utter astonishment, roughly five thousand of the twenty thousand in attendance stood up and cheered. With smiles on their faces they all started chanting "Allahu Akbar' - or, God is great.

This was incredibly upsetting because it was happening all over the stadium - it was a disparate group of people, from all walks of life, and they were celebrating the deaths of young people during what was supposed to be a minute of silence. I was literally almost sick to my stomach. It was loud, celebratory cheering. The person I was with couldn't understand why I was so upset. Prior to this, I had always assumed that people who supported ISIS were terrorists, and to discover that roughly 20% of the Islamic populace openly supports and endorses the deaths of 'infidels' was shocking. I was simply ignorant of this fact.

Since that terrible day, I've read up on the Islamic situation, and there are literally thousands of metrics all over the world that clearly point to 20% of the Islamic populace endorsing jihad. 20% of one billion means that Islam has a problem - one which the rest of us can't ignore.

Why am I saying this?

Because I see a lot of confusion on this issue. Since religion is involved, many people want to push the debate about Islam under the carpet. Islam is an ideology. When you attack an ideology, you're not attacking people - you're attacking their ideas. It's perfectly acceptable to attack an ideology - unfortunately, Islam rather bluntly states that you aren't allowed to do this, and that, in and of itself, is a very, very dangerous thing.

I don't believe that conversation about this topic should be shut down. This issue reaches all of us - even as gamers - and we need to have frank, open discussions about it.

Yes, gamers can choose to boycott developers because of their views - but what if the gamers simply don't understand those views, or aren't educated enough to interpret them, or maybe even have an agenda of their own?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Lol why would views on this games politics not contribute towards people's impressions of it? Why does this specific game get to have certain aspects of its design ringfenced from criticism?

http://midnightresistance.co.uk/art...lways-political-im-not-even-exaggerating-here

Just about every game you play will have someone you don't agree with contributing to it. Some may have some out right crappy people. However, unless you are talking about an aspect that relates to that person's politics, then I don't see how it is an "aspect of its design."

For example, if you want to discuss the races of NPCs, that would be relevant to politics if you want it to be, because that is an actual aspect of its design.

Damian Mahadevan

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I don't think anyone is saying that there were a ton of people of color in Bohemia, the issue that people have with Vavra's statements is that he is essentially entrenching himself in this absolutist position that there "were no black people in Bohemia." I'm by no means an expert on this part of European history, but here's a good post about why we should be wary of some of Vavra's claims http://robertwguthrie.com/whats-rac...n-historical-accuracy-is-used-to-deny-agency/

The biggest problem that I have with Vavra is that he seems completely incapable of engaging in feedback in any constructive way and immediately runs to the GamerGate White Nationalist armies to defend him rather than simply listen to folks that have some decent/interesting questions about his game.

I read that link but the author makes an error, there are Cumans in the game at least, i've seen gameplay videos of it. Vavra is talking about black people. I dont know about European history or Bohemian history to know if it is true there.

link85

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah saying there was no people of color in all of Bohemia is pretty dumb. Saying there are almost certainly none in some small rural area (where the game takes place) isn't. From that link the groups of people that were in the area in large numbers like the Cumans are in the game.

Not all feedback deserves some deep conversations, a person talking about the Moors in relation to Bohemia have no idea what they are talking about and are just trolls.

Oct 25, 2017
I dont feel that I can fully express what I think about his posts in its entirety here without me getting banned here. If you can find a place where i can post freely I am more than happy to oblige. :)

I have trouble articulating myself because as I try to be as concise as possible. It's highly unlikely for me to cover all those things without one thing I say be seen as of of those things, I will be banned before I get a chance to explain myself.

Don't worry - it's a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to elaborate on which of his views you feel aligns with your own before hitting the post button. If they're not bigoted, then it shouldn't be a problem, right? Era tends to be fairly understanding if mods are messaged and you're able to explain yourself if punishment is unfairly dealt. Otherwise, I kinda feel like trying to walk away from a blanket statement that endorses a bigot's views should be punished outright.

I have no issues with his views either. At least not his views on Islam. They seem pretty sane to me.

I was at a football/soccer match in an Islamic country after the Paris attacks, and before the game there was an unscheduled minute of silence for the victims. To my utter astonishment, roughly five thousand of the twenty thousand in attendance stood up and cheered. With smiles on their faces they all started chanting "Allahu Akbar' - or, God is great.

This was incredibly upsetting because it was happening all over the stadium - it was a disparate group of people, from all walks of life, and they were celebrating the deaths of young people during what was supposed to be a minute of silence. I was literally almost sick to my stomach. It was loud, celebratory cheering. The person I was with couldn't understand why I was so upset. Prior to this, I had always assumed that people who supported ISIS were terrorists, and to discover that roughly 20% of the Islamic populace openly supports and endorses the deaths of 'infidels' was shocking. I was simply ignorant of this fact.

Since that terrible day, I've read up on the Islamic situation, and there are literally thousands of metrics all over the world that clearly point to 20% of the Islamic populace endorsing jihad. 20% of one billion means that Islam has a problem - one which the rest of us can't ignore.

Why am I saying this?

Because I see a lot of confusion on this issue. Since religion is involved, many people want to push the debate about Islam under the carpet. Islam is an ideology. When you attack an ideology, you're not attacking people - you're attacking their ideas. It's perfectly acceptable to attack an ideology - unfortunately, Islam rather bluntly states that you aren't allowed to do this, and that, in and of itself, is a very, very dangerous thing.

I don't believe that conversation about this topic should be shut down. This issue reaches all of us - even as gamers - and we need to have frank, open discussions about it.

Yes, gamers can choose to boycott developers because of their views - but what if the gamers simply don't understand those views, or aren't educated enough to interpret them, or maybe even have an agenda of their own?

This is an incredible amount of fearmongering and is completely lacking in sources for any of your statistics. Would you mind actually digging up those, assuming they're properly sourced?

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Why am I saying this?

This is so transparent. Not educated enough to understand Islamaphobia, Milo, and Trump loving? Are you fucking serious? Also, the rest of your post isn't backed up by anything at all.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

Normalizing hate under the banner of "attacking ideologies" is pretty scummy, because your then attacking those people who are non violent by default, which a majority of those practicing islam are. And they are the ones who are 99% put under the real threat of violence by those extremists factions every day in the places they live, not first world problem nations which are barely ever attacked by radical groups by comparison. I'm sorry about your anecdotal experience that caused you mental strain, but that amount of people is but a pithy compared to the amount of people that exist in this world.

There are multiple sects and interpretations of islam which fight against each other and are used as props for power grabs and other things. First read up on all of them like you would Christian sects and radical extremes, secondly, atleast don't be a hypocrite and attack all extremist belief system both religious and non religious.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn

Why am I saying this?

All I'm reading is your personal anecdote on why Islamophobia is acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.