• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Kingdom-Come-Deliverance-Peak-Players-graph.gif

With 96k concurrent players at its peak, no other new release in 2018 has been able to topple the Kingdom — which still holds the #1 spot over the year's other biggest new releases, Far Cry 5 (92k peak players) and Warhammer: Vermintide 2 (73k peak players).

Yet, in the past two and a half months since its release, KCD has lost 95% of its players. With a player base that has dwindled down to an average of only 3.6k concurrent players from an average of 66.4k concurrent players, this year's hottest new RPG is now on the verge of dropping out on Steam's top 100 most played games.

http://www.githyp.com/2018s-biggest...-players-since-debuting-2-months-ago-on-steam

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
the buzz around it was kinda ridiculous. No idea where all the hype came form, it looked janky as hell. I'm not surprised it dropped off a cliff in terms of popularity. However, it's a singleplayer game so expecting crazy constant numbers would be kinda silly

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's not the kind of game you keep playing long-term, is it? Are those numbers really meaningful for this type of game?

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I mean ignoring all the controversy and the fact that it was apparently jank as fuck, singleplayer games like this are very rarely gonna have great retention rates. 90% of people are gonna play through them once, beat it, and never touch it again.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
How does this compare to other games? It's a single player game with no follow up DLC or significant updates.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
If it wasn't for Steam tracking online users I would assume that a single player RPG falling in player numbers would be typical. But great single player RPGs tend to fair well. As someone who was initially interested in the pitch but decided against buying the game, I wonder what caused the dip.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
the buzz around it was kinda ridiculous. No idea where all the hype came form, it looked janky as hell. I'm not surprised it dropped off a cliff in terms of popularity. However, it's a singleplayer game so expecting crazy constant numbers would be kinda silly

I'm under the impression that it doesn't have (or has very limited) mod support so that also is a factor in its long term support.

Still want to try it one day, but my backlog's too big.

Deleted member 1777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really want to play it but I'm just waiting until further on in the year for more patches. Also, going by concurrent playerbase for a single player game is very very silly indeed.

Feb 1, 2018
The hype was due to the interesting concept (a medieval times simulator), and fizzled out as soon as everybody moved on to something else. It was also a clunky game tbh

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Played it, finished it, loved it, moved on to other single-player games. Isn't that how it usually goes?

I'll definitely play it again though, closer to the release of a sequel with all the patches etc.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Is that unusual for a single-player game after a couple of months?

I mean, it depends on the modding scene. Skyrim still has 17,000 concurrents right now. Even games that just have a ton of developer-made content, like The Witcher 3, last forever -- it has 16,500 players right now. Kingdom Come only has 5,000 right now.

But I don't think this means the game is suddenly failing (even if I didn't like it). Kingdom Come is an indie game, and it just needed great upfront sales to justify expansions/sequels, and maybe those can turn into the everlasting hits like those others.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Is there a reason for this article outside of "here is a fact?" Usually these sorts of things are at accompanied with a "this isn't healthy for the multiplayer base of the game" implication, but this is a completely different story since it's a single player game so that sort of statistic seems completely pointless.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
That's a really dumb article that's trying to latch on to the trend that Lawbreakers started of continuously bringing up its current player base. Except this is a single player game which also isn't a GAAS. No shit most have dropped off.

Vlaphor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Topeka, KS
I found it to be just a bit too janky for me, even after mods helped to fix some of the issues. One thing I hated was how your crimes were known by all, regardless of who saw. Also, it ran like crap on my PC. I have a 4790k and a 1080ti and even at 1400, it rarely reached 30fps. Plus, I hated how it was always raining.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I mean, it depends on the modding scene. Skyrim still has 17,000 concurrents right now. Even games that just have a ton of developer-made content, like The Witcher 3, last forever -- it has 16,500 players right now.

But Kingdom Come is an indie game, and it just needed to have great upfront sales to justify expansions/sequels, and maybe those can turn into the everlasting hits like those others.

It would be interesting to see a launch aligned and normalized chart comparing these and other similar-ish games. I feel like that's the only way we can really use this data to say anything meaningful.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
On Xbox 1X the game made you sit though a 4-5 second black loading screen whenever you wanted to speak to an NPC

Not sure if it was that way on PC, but I dropped the game after an hour. Jank is one thing but an immersive sim that discourages you from interacting with the world is a hard pass from me. Too bad, cuz I was intrigued by the game

EAGames

Feb 15, 2018
You can say this literally about 99% of single player games.

How has Fallout: New Vegas dropped since launch? Talk about that.

kaftan

Oct 27, 2017
Single player game that was deliberately avoiding all the service game trends invading single player games these days - without little free updates, DLCs, daily quests, you name it. Buy it, play it and move on, like we used to. What's newsworthy about people finishing games?

Yeah, it's pretty blatant.

Very blatant.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
That's a really dumb article that's trying to latch on to the trend that Lawbreakers started of continuously bringing up its current player base. Except this is a single player game which also isn't a GAAS. No shit most have dropped off.
And even that wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't the Xth article of this exact same type from the same source.

I feel like someone hit on a formula to generate clicks with very little effort and is milking it.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
It's a single player game though? Of course it dropped like a rock once people finished it.

The only games I think still have a decent playbase while being SP are Bethesda games and that's because of mods.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Seeing news like this about a single-player RPG from a smaller dev makes me wonder if not having Steamspy around is always a bad thing...

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I'm waiting for a sale to jump in, but I'm sure this is the norm for single player games. I'm sure there are other single player games that still have a big player base to this day, but outside of those mega hits, most people just play a game and move onto the next one.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Not only is it a single player RPG like others said, but I'm assuming since it's not an AAA game it won't be filled to the brim with content as well.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
I've been holding off on this one until it's on a good sale later this year. The technical hiccups at launch also reinforced my decision.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It would be interesting to see a launch aligned and normalized chart comparing these and other similar-ish games. I feel like that's the only way we can really use this data to say anything meaningful.

Maybe? I think that the way people play games has changed a lot since Skyrim and even The Witcher 3 came out, so I don't know if that would be actually useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.