• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I gathered this data roughly from the top RPGs on Steam, so I may be missing some games. In most cases, concurrent players peaked at launch week, mainly on the weekend.

1. Fallout 4 - 471k
  2. Skyrim - 287k
  3. Dark Souls III - 129k
  4. Kingdom Come: Deliverance - 95k
  5. Divinity: Original Sin 2 - 93k
  6. The Witcher 3 - 92k
  7. Dark Souls II - 79k
  8. Skyrim EE - 69k
  9. AC Origins - 41k
  10. Pillars of Eternity - 41k

I doubt any RPG other than Bethesda game would be able to top Fallout 4 for unforseeable future. And Dark Souls is gaining more and more popularity on PC each day. Kingdom Come topping The Witcher 3 is quite an achievement it's one of the dearest games for PC gamers. Though we should also consider that The Witcher 3 is almost 3 year-old by now and Steam audience was undoubtedly smaller compared to today. Anyway, this seems bode well with how the games sell in the long run, as you can see below:

1. Fallout 4 - 5,1m
  2. Skyrim - 11,1m
  3. Dark Souls III - 2,5m
  4. Kingdom Come: Deliverance - 375k (3 days delay)
  5. Divinity: Original Sin 2 - 1,1m
  6. The Witcher 3 - 4,7m
  7. Dark Souls II - 1,5m
  8. Skyrim Enhanced Edition - 6,2m
  9. Assassin's Creed Origins - 648k
  10. Pillars of Eternity - 1,2m

Another interesting thing is that JRPGs, outside of Souls games, aren't too popular on Steam. Obviously, it's mainly due to late and bad ports. The most successful JRPG I could find is Nier Automata with 22k peak concurrent users and 700k sales so far. Final Fantasy games barely reach 10k peak at launch. Also, I put AC Origins in there simply because of the tag on the store page. Please give the 'is it a RPG?' argument a rest.

As said above, I may be missing some games, so if you find one please post it here.

Last edited:

AerialFox

Oct 27, 2017
Its a legit good game, hell, maybe even great. Its immersive and engaging. It has its rough spots but my god its a stability patch away from being fantastic. Separate the man who created it from the game, play this. It is worth your time.

Mr.Flufferson

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played the game, but I'm glad to see a AA rpg can succeed in todays market. Hopefully we see more developers take similar risks in the future.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure that includes plenty of fine people.
Actually... it probably does.

I chose to not buy it because I don't want to support the fucking piece of shit owner of the studio and enable his platform, but most people don't seem to care. Not all of these people will share the views of the creator.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
Actually... it probably does.

I chose to not buy it because I don't want to support the fucking piece of shit owner of the studio, but most people don't seem to care. Not all of these people will share the views of the creator.

I'd wager to guess that the vast majority have absolutely no idea who the lead designer is much less what his views on things are

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
Y'all, let me stop you right there. Read these wise words from the game's OT before posting in this thread, and know that the same rules apply in all threads, and not just the OT:

"We have no intention of banning discussion of this game outright, and the views of the director can be relevant. However, it is clear that there will be no peace in these threads without tighter moderation and brighter lines. Therefore if that discussion is to happen we are laying down two ground rules:

1. Vávra's views on a multitude of subjects are offensive and racist. Defense of his views will be moderated like any other defense of racism. Do not try to find sneaky ways to circumvent this ruling, like singling out Vávra for nonspecific praise or support.

2. Buying this game does not automatically make someone a horrible person and nothing will be learned or gained by anyone if you take that stance. Do not attack other members just for buying the game or enjoying mundane aspects of the game. Do not attempt to shame them.

There is room to discuss the game as a cultural artifact with nuance and in a manner where some actual exchange of ideas is possible -- but only if the above two conditions are met. If you do not feel you can adhere to those two conditions, do not post in these threads. Be advised that moderators may have to apply stricter penalties than usual to keep the peace."

Any post beyond this red wall breaking those rules will be dealt with accordingly.

Thank you.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest I'm shocked at the success it's having. If you followed the game before release it was widely ignored across most of the gaming places and even on here threads for it were really small (when not being derailed that is).

I'm so glad though. We need more ambitious 3D wrpgs and this is one of the most ambitious ones we've had and it operated on a fraction of the budget witcher 3 had. There's very few out there with as many systems working together as this has.

I'm sure that includes plenty of fine people.

If we're allowed to start judging an entire fanbase then I have a lot to say for the fallout 4/skyrim crowd on that list.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
That is pretty good. It definitely seems to be crossing over to the mainstream rather than just RPG fans. I'm picking it up as soon as I beat some stuff I am playing now.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, you'd think on the PC that Fallout New Vegas would be higher on that chart compared to Fallout 4

2010 was a different time for steam/pc

as much as I love NV the world (along with most of the modding community) has moved on. ... also Fallout 4 despite being a disappointment is still crazy successful and highly acclaimed in general

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'll be honest I'm shocked at the success it's having. If you followed the game before release it was widely ignored across most of the gaming places and even on here threads for it were really small (when not being derailed that is).

I'm so glad though. We need more ambitious 3D wrpgs and this is one of the most ambitious ones we've had and it operated on a fraction of the budget witcher 3 had. There's very few out there with as many systems working together as this has.
Me too. I was anticipating the game but I'm quite sure that it won't do blockbuster numbers. I was thinking more like ELEX's success.

Awesome news but I'd be surprised if it doesn't drop fairly fast.
Yeah, the number will surely drop from here on. I'm not seeing the 2nd week topping it.

This is true. I believe Skyrim would've had much bigger number if released today. I could see TES VI topping Fallout 4.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd wager to guess that the vast majority have absolutely no idea who the lead designer is much less what his views on things are
I imagine that is true on other sites, and I've also seen the message watered down a lot ("people are just mad the game is being historically accurate and not featuring POC"). I still believe that is a deliberate tactic used by people to get people on their side and hide the real discussion of Vavra.

Here though, we've had all the information available and posted repeatedly. Yet people still don't care because they believe it's possible to separate the art from the artist or whatever. Even though there is a direct line between their support and money going to a public alt right Breitbart supporting lunatic with a growing platform to spread his dangerous ideology.

"A good game is a good game"

Last edited:

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Looking forward to play it. Only saw very little from the very beginning, but it seemed like it would be right up my alley. Just waiting for the first big bug fix patch.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia

as much as I love NV the world (along with most of the modding community) has moved on. ... also Fallout 4 despite being a disappointment is still crazy successful and highly acclaimed in general

Yeah I never considered people are still playing the Softworks titles simply due to the modding potential

Lat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be interested in the sales jump when the first deep sale happens.

Deleted member 1378

Oct 25, 2017
i want to enjoy this kind of game, but i can't. i need fantasy elements to make the medieval period sufficiently interesting enough for me

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just bought and am super into Divinity Original Sin 2 so once I beat it I'll probably buy this. It looks and sounds great