• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I basically decided to continue with my NG+ Critical run. Going through Critical with all the new Keyblades is *way* better than playing through Critical mode fresh. I agree with whoever said that Critical feels way fairer with all the Keyblades available. On my progress so far:

CORONA
I finally beat Gothel on this second run. I had a few dumb deaths because of weird interactions like "Sora sliding down the hill, making me unable to block Gothel's incoming headbutt" or not properly reacting to her bird-headbutt attack (depending on if you're on higher or lower ground, you might have to block the birds earlier or you might have to use two blocks against the birds and then Gothel herself) but things weren't too hard.

Her fight isn't too different overall. She's the boss I think has had the most new moves so far: she has her Bird-Headbutt/Bird-Spin attack (on easier difficulties, these were separate attacks; now she never summons birds without an immediate follow up) and her Triple Spin (this always happens right after you clear a Tower phase).

There's no other new moves (the Flower move is not new), though as I mentioned, her AI has changed. She'll randomly fly away while doing nothing, she'll also usually activate the Tower Phases at specific points (i.e. first time is consistently around 2 healthbars depleted, not sure about second time). You can actually delay the activation if you manage to stagger and combo her (I did this with Pirate Flag but I assume that it's possible with the Toy Story's Drill or Hammer if you do Toy Story first). That's it though.

TOY BOX
This wasn't too hard, though that might have been because I went to it after Corona. The hardest fight was, ironically enough, the first fight (before the save point) because I kept getting sniped off-screen. The Mech sections are still easy overall, though since you take more damage in the Mech, you'll probably have to hijack at least 1 other Mech during the mandatory encounters.

I was expecting Anime Doll to be dramatically changed up from the comments here, but if you've cleared Level 1 Proud, you know what to expect. She's still got like only 2/3 really telegraphed attacks, and she's still not as threatening the mooks who can snipe you off screen, she just hits harder is all.

The final boss (the big UFO) seems about the same too. Getting 2 shotted by the homing missiles and 1 shotted by the cannon attack is new (even on Level 1 Proud, those attacks weren't dangerous) but he's still pretty easy overall, you just have to be more patient when he fires the missiles now. I don't know if he got any new attacks as he went down pretty fast (as in "our DPS was so high that we ended up skipping the tornado phase") and I don't really care tbh. I don't mind Toy Box being easy as it's the first major world anyway.

MONSTROPOLIS
Now this world was pretty disappointing. When they mentioned tweaking things, I was really, really hoping Monstropolis would get changed up the most as it was a pretty boring world overall (you fight that stupid snail-crab every other encounter, and the only combat variety is in the arenas, like the "Make Boo Laugh Gauntlets" or the "Put Out the Fire Sections" or the "Electric Room"). Things did get changed up a little (the Fire Room was noticeably harder, the stealth section now has lasers that will 1 hit kill you because of course it does) but that's it.

You still have to fight that awful sub-boss type (though it's far less annoying since you get Risk Dodge unlocked by default), the enemy variety is still awful (except now the generic Unversed are a bit more aggressive), the rail segments are still pointless as you can just hide behind the door and it's still a really boring world overall. Even the Lump of Horror didn't seem to get any tweaks. It still has stupid amounts of defense and health, it still bumrushes you 3 times in a row (4 times if you get it to low health) for 80% of the fight, it still has that annoying time-wasting phase with the tentacles (except now the AI will sometimes open the phase with that fight).

I'm pretty damn disappointed with how this world was handled. Because if there was a world that really needed to be tweaked, it was absolutely this one.

OP
OP

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I basically decided to continue with my NG+ Critical run. Going through Critical with all the new Keyblades is *way* better than playing through Critical mode fresh. I agree with whoever said that Critical feels way fairer with all the Keyblades available.
I've only made it to Corona on my NG CM, then tried starting a NG+ run and I agree, it's 100% a better experience. Having Wheel Of Fate's Highwind form makes a world of difference.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Currently stuck on Skoll in Arendelle. This fight is honestly bullshit.

Skoll himself is still an absolute pain to fight. He only has one new move and a tweaked older move: the new move is him running around in a circle three times (it's not dangerous, but it can catch you off guard) while the remixed move is his spinning double body drop (this isn't new, but what is new is that the bastard'll try to jump "behind" you so get crossed up / have to turn around to block the second hit).

Aside from the second move, Skoll hasn't actually changed too much, but he still really sucks to fight (because of his crappy flying hitbox and auto correcting attacks. Like even Counter Kick misses half the time on him. COUNTER KICK. That move is busted, and it doesn't work consistently on him. Bloody hell).

I think the clincher for this fight are the Mini-Skolls, and also the Moon Drip hazards (during the timed phase). These things are bullshit now, especially the timed phase hazards. Those things don't even have an animation telling you where they're going to fall; if you're unlucky you just die. I got really unlucky and was killed IMMEDIATELY AFTER the cutscene transition one time (I was soooooo pissed when this happened).

I basically feel like the buffed mooks are what make this harder more than anything. Skoll himself isn't as bad, though he still sucks and really benefits from the broad changes made to Critical Mode IMO

I'm planning to just cheese this with Ethers, because going through all this BS, only to die because of the shitty hazard during the timed phase, is seriously unfun. I'd rather do that awful Frozen minigame again (with the 3 dragons) than have to do this fight again tbh.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Critical Mode about an hour ago, so here's some impressions.

For me personally, I found Proud Mode to be fun, but very easy to beat. Aside from Marshmallow, the only bosses that tripped me up were a couple of the endgame fights. It didn't offer the challenge I wanted from the game and even then I found myself holding back on beating enemies because I felt I was outpacing the game in levels. I beat that mode at Level 37.

Critical Mode I finished at Level 40 and I think I could have gained a couple more levels and picked up some better gear to fill the gap honestly. Enemies kick your ass in Critical Mode and unlike KH2 where the game starts becoming pretty easy about halfway in after unlocking all your tools/forms this game continues to apply pressure. I think the damage you take from enemies could have been tweaked slightly but I don't find it unfair just a little more stressful than I expected. Of course, this is coming from a run of the game using New Game+ so I had all of my keyblades from the start. Though I feel like it this was balanced around that and the benefits they give you. Never used Ultima tho.

The final battles in the game are elevated so much thanks to the challenge though. As an extra stipulation, I decided to not equip Glide until I beat the last boss battle in the Keyblade Graveyard. That gauntlet of battles are incredible but a lot of their Desperation Moves and the puzzles in the area are completely trivialized by being able to float above it all. Having to actually dodge and block my way through Marluxia/Larxene for example at this difficulty was really fun and satisfying. It was fun to figure out how some attacks worked and how to dodge/block everything properly which is something you do not have to worry about on any other difficulty.

The added abilities from the start and the focus on the Reprisal System made the game feel so rewarding. Achieving perfect guards, getting big damage, pulling off some neat Risk Dodge combos was fun especially in endgame. I also learned the hilarious fact that a Counter Shield's strongest reprisal powered up by a Perfect Guard can deal almost 5 bars of health. It's nuts.

A great game made even better. Just needs some postgame bosses.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Damn. I love the new Battle Report artwork.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to clear Skoll and Arendelle. Shotlocks ended up making the big difference in this fight; you can actually use Shotlock multiple times in this fight as the Mini-Skolls will drop Focus when they die.

So, as long as you're careful, you can basically ignore all the Mini-Skolls that get summoned and Shotlock Skoll himself. When his health gets low enough, he'll automatically go into the timed phase (this will despawn all the Mini-Skolls) and as long as you don't completely deplete your Focus gauge, you'll have enough Focus for another 2 Shotlocks after clearing the timed phase.

Anyway, I'm currently up to Big Hero 6 (of my three playthroughs, I've always gone BH6 then Pirates. It works better IMO, Davy Jones being the last Disney boss is good practice for the post-Disney worlds bosses). I've already gotten up to the Dino boss. As far as Arendelle goes:

ARENDELLE
The world still felt about the same, though I did feel the difference in certain sections.

The Ninja Nobodies in the Ice Labyrinth feel like their AI's been tweaked. On Proud, they'd bumrush me most of the time, but on Critical they seemed to prioritize Donald and Goofy and even after killing those two, usually only 1 or 2 Ninjas would approach at a time. It was very noticeable; in both of my previous runs, the Ice Labyrinth was always a consistent difficulty spike but here, I barely struggled.

Skoll's fight was more difficult, though I don't need to explain why again. The Rock Troll was also noteworthy, though in a really different way*. I think, other than that, the Mountain Trek section was tweaked very slightly. While I'm not 100% certain, I did feel that there were fewer climb-able snowballs during that section (mostly around the time Parasol Heartless start to become more frequent). I don't think anything else really changed (the only other thing that came to mind was the fight straight after Frozen Slider, where all 3 Dragons would open with a Tornado attack... but I'm not sure that's new)

Everything else felt about the same. Marshmallow didn't have any new moves or behaviour as far as I could tell (though his Armor stat seems to take way more damage before depleting), though I'm okay with this because his Ice Armor gimmick is surprisingly difficult (especially when he starts to keep Armoring up over and over and over when he's about to die) and Arendelle was never in need of tweaking imo (not like Monstropolis, Big Hero 6 or Pirates)

I'm really hoping that BH6 and PotC really deliver on the tweaked bossfights. Hearing that at least Davy Jones has been fixed up is a good sign (his bossfight was honestly a joke on Proud. Even on Level 1 Proud he was a complete pushover, only beaten by BH6's Flying Cube boss)

(*Towards the end of the Rock Troll fight, there were long stretches of the boss running around and not doing anything. I've noticed this with previous bosses as well (like with Grim Guardianess / Gothel) but it was really egregious with the Rock Troll and also its upgraded counterpart, the Metal Troll (in BH6 / San Fransokyo). I'd almost call it a bug, though I vaguely remember this being a habit even on Proud Mode. Not sure what's going on there, but I figure I'd mention it. )

OP
OP

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wheel Of Fate's Highwind form kinda trivialises Tornado Titan and Toybox's final boss, lol.

KZXcellent Evilisk What starter did you guys go with? Guardian+Balance here, but I'm gonna try a third early run to test first world by starting choices.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm midway through BH6 and Pirates (I switched out for Pirates before the final BH6 boss since I hate fighting that thing).

SAN FRANSOKYO
With the Dino boss: the first phase is still pretty easy overall, though it's now really fun to get perfect guards on the dino's charging attacks. The second phase is really awkward though. It's hard to finish off the boss because it's sooo easy to get sniped (either by the mooks, or by the boss itself with its thunder attacks which were able to one shot me). The thunder attacks are really, really hard to see coming sometimes (you basically need to rely 100% on the audio cue/startup) so I ended up just waiting for the attacks, dodging them, then sniping the boss with magic + shotlocks. It's pretty easy if you just wait on the red platform / fan next to the boss' building.

As for the Cube boss: I really hate to say this, but this stupid boss is completely unchanged. I never liked this fight before because it's very, very easy and there's a lot of wasted time (since the boss is untouchable for 50% of the fight). I was really hoping they'd tweak the fight so that you could finish it faster if you were skilled enough (so maybe instead of the hitbox being completely nonexistant for all of its attacks, it'd be harder but actually possible to hit the boss with enough skill) but nope. The boss doesn't seem to have been changed at all. I'm really, really disappointed about this.

Haven't fought the final boss, but the only change I'm expecting is that he'll be able to 1 shot you now. I'm not looking forward to this tbh

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN
I'm only halfway through this world, but ship combat doesn't seem to have been rebalanced much (though after seeing Toy Box's Mechs on Critical, I wasn't really expecting it)

Not sure if the Dual Anchor bosses have changed all that much. I found them easier than in my past runs, but I think it's possible I'm simply getting used to fighting them now. I want to say that they prioritize targeting your party members first, but I'm not sure about that as I don't remember ever being double teamed by the bosses in previous runs. All I can say is that it's pretty damn fun to use Pirate Flag on these goons.

The Bird Heartless was ridiculously easy, because I'm used to doing it on Level 1 Proud (where you do almost no damage at all and have to do the boss perfectly otherwise the Black Pearl just gets destroyed). It probably wasn't the intended experience, but compared to that standard, this ended up being like the most relaxing boss by far lol.

I did notice that the mooks seem more aggressive (I actually got killed by gunfire for the first time in any playthrough). I also want to say that the Bird is more aggressive in chasing down the Black Pearl, as I didn't have to chase it to the level boundaries like I normally have to. The boss even bugged out once because of this behavior (I have a clip that I can upload later, but the Bird got stuck on the Black Pearl for a few seconds. The game fixed it by teleporting the boss out of there)

All I have left is the Fish boss, Davy Jones and the BH6 Final boss. I'm really hoping that the Fish got tweaked, I'm also hoping that Davy Jones lives up to the hype. I might go Fish -> BH6 -> Davy Jones (I like Davy Jones last since he's a proper humanoid boss, and I need to practice for the upcoming gauntlet of humanoid bosses)

Wheel Of Fate's Highwind form kinda trivialises Tornado Titan and Toybox's final boss, lol.

KZXcellent Evilisk What starter did you guys go with? Guardian+Balance here, but I'm gonna try a third early run to test first world by starting choices.

Yeah I noticed Highwind shredding through Tornado Titan. I was perfectly okay with that though, Tornado Titan is such a slog of a fight normally.

I think I went Warrior-Vitality... though I'm not 100% sure on that. If I did pick Vitality though, it has barely helped (since a surprising amount of things have managed to one shot me).

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished Big Hero 6, Pirates of the Caribbean and the short section before the final World

THE REST OF PIRATES:
The Fish boss felt pretty much the same. It's still a pretty lame boss (because underwater combat means, no formchanges or grand magic, no unique magic, no shotlocks etc. it's just a basic dodge and attack fight ) but I can't really hate on it since it's basically practice for a later game boss (and the Cube is still worse, because you have all those extra options... you just can't use them for half the fight).

Ship battles were tweaked more than I thought. It seems ships were hit with the same "it takes longer to get extra commands" nerf which is okay I guess. The Flying Dutchman fight was also slightly tweaked in a way that made it more challenging (normally in ship combat, the reticle will turn red when your properly aimed on ship weakpoints; this is now disabled for the Critical fight and it actually makes things harder.)

Davy Jones... really didn't change that much tbh. If you've fought him on Level 1 Proud, he's still about the same tbh (like most of the bosses on this difficulty tbh), he's just a bit more aggressive. He's still completely helpless if you're jumping a lot (his sneak attack will always miss if you jump) and if you're comboing him in the air (as his combo breaker will always miss if you if hit his revenge value in the air).

I think the only major tweak is that during the second Kraken phase, Davy Jones is really, really aggressive in chasing you down (I noticed this because when I activated Stitch's Link to get rid of the Kraken tentacles, the guy would keep teleporting next to me and hitting me while I was trying to aim Stitch). Besides that, I didn't notice too much different with Davy Jones (though I think that Stitch may have been buffed in Critical Mode, since making larger shapes with that Links seems easier/faster).

THE REST OF BIG HERO 6
Dark Baymax surprisingly did not 1-shot me, and was basically the same as before. It's still easier to do the fight in one go (if you restart the fight, you'll fight Baymax with with two depleted healthbars, but if you do the first phase really well, you can deplete up to three lifebars). His powerup phase is still easier (so long as the you reflect the box projectiles) etc. I'd say I'm disappointed that there were no changes... but I'm not, because it's become on the most annoying fights to have to replay, mostly because of how different and gimmicky the whole fight is.

ENDGAME, BUT BEFORE FINAL WORLD
Now it's time to talk Riku and Aqua

Both of these characters' sections were finally rebalanced to be more difficult.

In regards to Riku: Dark Thundaga / Thundaza was tremendously nerfed to the point of being useless tbh. It's always better to keep Magic for healing, because using D.Thundaza even once will give you D.Thundaza instead of D.Firaza (and there's no reason to not use Firaza, since it also homes in on the boss, it just does better damage instead). It basically make Riku uninteresting to play, as you'll just save magic for Curaga, and you'll only use regular attacks + guard reprisals for attacking.

The Demon Tower fights aren't too hard, though they're designed similarly to Demon Tide (i.e. it's got some erratic visual cues that can trick you into guarding earlier than you're supposed to). Just don't lock on to the boss and you'll be fine.

Not much to say about Aqua; she feels better to play but that's not a surprise because of 0.2. The Vanitas fight isn't a complete cakewalk anymore, though it's still pretty easy. I think Vanitas now gets a bit of super armour when he's attacking (i.e. don't hit him while he's in his 2-hit combo, he won't flinch even if he takes damage) but that's it. He's still easy, just not brain dead easy to fight.

The last thing to mention is Anti-Aqua. This fight... is actually kinda tough now. The most immediate change I noticed is that AAqua now has a revenge value attack / combo breaker*. Previously she would just teleport away after hitting max revenge value but now she teleports behind you and flies at you with an unblockable attack (I even tried Counter Shield against it, and it didn't seem to work, and I know for a fact that KH3 has unblockable attacks). The combo breaker itself isn't lethal, but you can die before recovering if she uses you're unlucky and she uses specific followups (usually, any attacks where she summons clones will get you killed).

I think this is the only major change to AAqua herself, though the increased damage on her attacks, with the general changes made to Critical Mode have really helped out. The changes to getting Formchange commands are what she really, really benefit from. While Counter Shield is still really OP, it's harder to get Formchanges on all your Keyblades in general (because, again getting Commands is harder in general on Critical... though you also actually lose Formchange/Grand Magic gauges on Critical as well. This is a fact I just realized while fighting Aqua, bc Aqua spends most of her fight not on the battlefield).

Previously, it was very easy to trivialize AAqua with certain Keyblades (AAqua was really easy if you like brought along Hunny Blaster and Mirage Staff since they could shred through the clone phases). Now that you have to spend most of the fight with the base form of your keyblades, and you can't just combo her for free / trivialize her moveset with certain formchanges, her fight's become way more challenging and exhilarating.

She's still not the hardest fight in the game, but I think the Critical Mode version of Anti-Aqua might be my favorite changed up fight so far. Before she was somewhat difficult but you could just combo her for days with no consequence. Now she's actually threatening and you have to be more careful in how you approach her.

[*Also a quick note on AAqua's revenge value: I think AAqua has separate revenge values for "Keyblade attacks" and for "other attacks". My theory is that you can do a combo, get her Keyblade revenge value nearly close to full, then you can use like a Shotlock, Magic or even a Link to cause even more damage that won't push the revenge value up, and then if you follow up with one more Keybladde attack, that'll activate the revenge value (for Keyblade attacks, rather than other other attacks). I think the reverse is possible first (use Simba first, catch her in a combo / jump loop, then cancel the Link and go immediately into a combo). The reason I think that there's a separate revenge value for other attacks is that the only Shotlock I've been able to hit max revenge value (for other attacks) is Mirage Staff's maxed out Shotlock.

This isn't at all important for most players, but I figured I'd post it here as I noticed this when I was fighting her]

Last edited:

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the triple post (this'll be the last one) but I just finished my run through Critical Mode

ENDGAME STUFF:

Heartless Horde was pretty easy. If you use the blaster formchanges (so Hunny Blaster or Double Arrowguns) you can down the size of the horde / the generic Heartless meter really fast (and if you disable Sonic Slash + Sonic Cleave, while leaving Buzz Saw on, you can just spam airstep / Buzz Saw to build up formchanges really fast). The Demon Tide fight was still lame (the boss feels really janky if you use anything but Counter Shield). I didn't really notice anything new.

The team / multi-boss fights got harder as your AI party members are really, really bad at surviving on Critical Mode (and if you don't keep them alive, you get double teamed), though the fights themselves didn't seem to change too much. I think the Larxene and Marluxia fight got slightly changed during the "Be Serious! phase (it feels like it lasts longer), and Terranort and Vanitas has gotten way more annoying due to Terranort's trying to backstab / snipe you, but the other fights are still really, really easy. Even the Roxas fight is practically unchanged. I was expecting to actually properly fight Saix on Critical, but it's still a stomp.

The Triple Xehanort fight was ridiculous. I mentioned how the previous fights were harder because of your weaker party members, it's way worse with this fight because Young Xehanort and Ansem have unblockable attacks, so trying to guard everything doesn't work). I just straight up resorted to grinding out Re-Focusers and sniping Young Xehanort with Shotlocks because getting triple teamed was a big, big problem. After getting rid of YX, the fight got way easier, though Ansem is still a nuisance (his AI got way more cowardly / turtle-y, and it's hard to get rid of his mines if you don't have magic or shotlocks available.

As for the final final gauntlet: the Final Organization 13 fight wasn't too bad. You can't trivialize the fight anymore with Hi-Ethers and Aero, but it's still do-able. Only problem is that you have to play really safe / defensive (you have to wait for them to attack before doing anything, because it's really easy to get sniped). Armored Xehanort is still the hardest part of this section IMO, though I don't think much changed. I don't think anything really changed with these fights tbh. Even Chi-Blade Xehanort's keyhole-combo attacks still do pitiful damage on Critical (though I was honestly relieved to see this, not sure I wanted a really hard Chi-Blade Xehanort after all the previous fights).

Final Thoughts on Critical Mode

This mode was okay. On one hand, I appreciated that they were able to make a mode that was "Level 1 Proud, but without the awful, awful damage". On the other hand, I was expecting way more than that. As good as some changes were (like nerfing Links to heal only half health and giving you all the extra skills at the start), others changes just weren't that good (cutting magic in half, while doubling the regen time, is a baffling decision IMO). Not only was there not much boss rebalancing as I was led to believe (at most, I think only a handful of bosses got 1 actual new move and the AI is a bit more aggressive in general), I also think they didn't do a good job of balancing existing options (Counter Shield and Shotlocks are still stupidly good low risk, high reward options). Worst thing is that the difficulty has made the game's flaws more apparent to me.

I think this has kind of soured me on the game, surprisingly enough. Well, soured's probably not the right word, but after finishing this mode I honestly feel no reason to go back to KH3 now. Maybe it was too soon after the last time I played or maybe I jumped in too early (in terms of post-release support of the game), but completing this difficulty has just exhausted me on this game.

So uh yeah, my recommendation is:

-if you 100%ed KH3 on an easier difficulty without ever doing a challenge run, and you wanted an actually challenging difficulty, I'd recommend jumping in, albeit with the NG+ option and the expectation that this is no KH2FM; it's just KH3 but harder.

-if you've already done a challenge run like Level 1 Proud, you want to go back to the game, but you're also not, say, a difficulty fetishist, I think maybe wait for the extra DLC (so you don't get burned out just playing the same game again, but with slight changes).