• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
There's no way that guy is doing it legit. His magic damage is insane. Totally using save wizard for max magic

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
While I definitly will only do a full playhtrough once the DLC hits, I may download the patch and see how the beginning is. As in, play a bit in Olympus around and see how often I die to regular enemies.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I've died more times in Olympus Critical than my entire Proud Mode run. Godlike.

Getting sniped from offscreen by shit you can't even see is about as bad as it is in DDD though, ugh

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
I got up to Toy Story before heading to bed. It feels similar to KH2FM with the exception being that my damage was on the low end. Could just be because it's early but I've played KH2FM recently on Critical and it does feel like you are more glass than glass cannon in KH3, at least for now. There is an ability I didn't recognize that I think is new and I forget the name but it was Block Something, maybe Block Converter. It lets you restore 3 MP for blocking, so it seems like they really want people to focus on guarding in Critical to counteract the smaller MP pool.

Dec 25, 2018
I got up to Toy Story before heading to bed. It feels similar to KH2FM with the exception being that my damage was on the low end. Could just be because it's early but I've played KH2FM recently on Critical and it does feel like you are more glass than glass cannon in KH3, at least for now. There is an ability I didn't recognize that I think is new and I forget the name but it was Block Something, maybe Block Converter. It lets you restore 3 MP for blocking, so it seems like they really want people to focus on guarding in Critical to counteract the smaller MP pool.

crit heavily relies on equipment and food it seems

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
Delighted with how Critical is sounding. I still think they need to patch Proud to tune its lack of difficulty, though -- adding another mode on top of Proud doesn't fix it.

Looking forward to getting some new content to play through on Critical. In the meantime, I'd love to see what the "superboss" is like at Level 99. He didn't even do a third of total damage to my HP bar on Proud -- no Curaga required.

OP
OP

Deleted member 227

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So there's two proofs so far:
1. Proof Of Times Past (for beating Critical Mode)
2. Proof Of Promises (not sure about this one, but I think it's for beating either the secret boss, all battle gates or all lucky emblems, I've only gotten it on my 100% save, not my LVL 1 run clear file)

KH2 FM had 3 proofs.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
2. Proof Of Promises (not sure about this one, but I think it's for beating either the secret boss, all battle gates or all lucky emblems, I've only gotten it on my 100% save, not my LVL 1 run clear file)

KH2 FM had 3 proofs.

Should be for the lucky emblems, judging by the description.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

KH2 FM had 3 proofs.
the text for the promises one talk about collecting luck so i would bet it's for getting all the luck emblems

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I just played all the way up to Twilight Town.

Not sure how to feel about this difficulty so far. Aside from the fact that I've got more skills, the difficulty hasn't felt too different from my original playthrough (though I'll mention that my first playthrough was on Level 1 Proud). Like, yeah the trash mobs are a bit more aggressive in Olympus and can 2-hit kill you now, but the bosses don't feel too different from before (the only really different boss is Darkside. And he's not particularly difficult, you just gotta be patient now).

The only changes I've really felt are with magic and formchanges. Magic feels like it takes forever to regenerate (even with all the enemies dropping MP orbs constantly) while it also feels like you get less MP to play around with in general. Formchanges also feel like they take too many hits to unlock tbh, and this is even with the "disable attractions" skill equiped.

I don't really like these changes, but that's purely down to how I personally play (I mess around a lot with keyblade switching and find having to use base versions of keyblades to be really boring. I also only use magic if bosses are far away and I need to have like, Counter Shield ready in 5 seconds to block an attack etc. you can see how this'd effect my specific playstyle).

With all of this said, I do think I might be jumping the gun a bit. I haven't gotten to any of the notable bosses yet (the Titans really are chumps), I also haven't unlocked later spells (maybe it was the -a versions of Magic that made it easy for me to get Formchanges?) so I'll save any definitive opinions for when I've completed the game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 227

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just played all the way up to Twilight Town.

Not sure how to feel about this difficulty so far. Aside from the fact that I've got more skills, the difficulty hasn't felt too different from my original playthrough (though I'll mention that my first playthrough was on Level 1 Proud). Like, yeah the trash mobs are a bit more aggressive in Olympus and can 2-hit kill you now, but the bosses don't feel too different from before (the only really different boss is Darkside. And he's not particularly difficult, you just gotta be patient now).

The only changes I've really felt are with magic and formchanges. Magic feels like it takes forever to regenerate (even with all the enemies dropping MP orbs constantly) while it also feels like you get less MP to play around with in general. Formchanges also feel like they take too many hits to unlock tbh, and this is even with the "disable attractions" skill equiped.

I don't really like these changes, but that's purely down to how I personally play (I mess around a lot with keyblade switching and find having to use base versions of keyblades to be really boring. I also only use magic if bosses are far away and I need to have like, Counter Shield ready in 5 seconds to block an attack etc. you can see how this'd effect my specific playstyle).

With all of this said, I do think I might be jumping the gun a bit. I haven't gotten to any of the notable bosses yet (the Titans really are chumps), I also haven't unlocked later spells (maybe it was the -a versions of Magic that made it easy for me to get Formchanges?) so I'll save any definitive opinions for when I've completed the game.

Have you tried the Berserker Charge meal bonus? That+Critical Charge seems to favour a playstyle of emptying your mana ASAP to fill up the gauge faster. Combine it with the Cure Converter accessories from Moogle shop too.

Dec 25, 2018
My issue is crowd controls and the mob fights, I hate losing tons of progress with the mobs. Every area that loads has a mob fight and it's not fun to me, they destroy you since you have no real decent crowd control. The only time I can fight them is when I build up situation commands which take a while to even build up. Before that, you run around in circles hoping to not be sniped randomly and lose all the battle progress you made.

I am waiting for DLC For KH3 before finishing critical I think.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried the Berserker Charge meal bonus? That+Critical Charge seems to favour a playstyle of emptying your mana ASAP to fill up the gauge faster. Combine it with the Cure Converter accessories from Moogle shop too.

I've never really fiddled around with food in KH3 (except for that Bird Boss in Pirates)

I might try that setup out... once I get some Munny again (I *just* spent all of it on potions lol)

Dec 25, 2018
Impressions sound pretty disappointing thus far.

That's the thing - it's subjective. I think too much of the difficulty is artificial personally. The flame cores will all attack you at once now instead of one at a time, when there's 10 of them it really sucks. The dusks have super armor causing you to do hardly any damage. There's hardly any real crowd control early game without abusing forms.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I got to Corona and stopped.

So far giving you the absurd amount of combat abilities make the intro segment of the game more fun to go through. Having access to Reprisals, perfect guard mechanics, a better air dash and flowmotion slide and so much more is game-changing for the early game. Kingdom Hearts 2's Critical Mode did something similar but not to this degree. Combat gets satisfying a lot faster and this is strengthened by New Game+ allowing you to carry over all your keyblades for maximum variety from the jump.

Challenge-wise you can get blown up pretty easily and all of the insta-kill moves are pretty obvious so I don't feel like anything is particularly cheap. So far it's really satisfying and like with KH2 it's quickly cementing itself as the only way I want to play this game.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
My issue is crowd controls and the mob fights, I hate losing tons of progress with the mobs. Every area that loads has a mob fight and it's not fun to me, they destroy you since you have no real decent crowd control. The only time I can fight them is when I build up situation commands which take a while to even build up. Before that, you run around in circles hoping to not be sniped randomly and lose all the battle progress you made.

I am waiting for DLC For KH3 before finishing critical I think.

I dunno where you're up to, but if you have it, Hero's Origin's Counter Shield can trivialise most encounters (it lets you walk while guarding and the max version of the counter, Wrathful Barrage has pretty busted damage)

Water can help mitigate sniping a little bit. It creates a temporary shield around you and you can go from attacking an enemy to casting Water to block an attack / projectile to attacking again. It works better against some enemies (like the Fire Heartless in Olympus) but not all. You can also just dodge roll / air dodge while attacking (you can cancel attacks into dodges) though it's still not great

Aero and Blizzard also help with crowd control once you get them (Aero is just Magnet with Flowmotion capabilities; Blizzard will freeze enemies for a short time and you can freeze one annoying enemy and leave it frozen for a bit to focus on other enemies. I usually use that strategy against Fat Heartless)

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
Up to Twilight town at this point. Liking it so far, haven't had much problems except a few screw ups during the Ice/lava titan fight. Critical converter is a godsend.

Dec 25, 2018
He said he personally feels like situation commands need to show up faster.

Edit:
Guy just beat critical in 5:30. The Final Xehanort battle situation commands were a bit of a problem for him because rage form doesn't easily go up.

Last edited:

ChaserX

Nov 1, 2017
Miami, FL
Grim Guardianess doesn't fuck around. Decided to visit Corona first since I already have Aerial Recovery, but without Ralph, it's not a fight you can cheese from the start. Had to use everything, including Rage Form and Meow Wow, to beat her after 3 attempts.

Basically go to Toy Box first for Ralph, and remember to fight the Gigas with a Gigas.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Omg this critical mode is actually really good! Feels kinda like a souls game now you cant smash x to win lol. Had to use water magic against those fire guys in olympus.

Edit: the osaka team fuckin did it they did a kh2 like critical mode its amazing! Holy hell how did they fix this mess?! I am impressed!