• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Got up to Toy story before I decided to call it quits for now. The dragon toys 1 shitting me isn't exciting to say the least. I feel like Crit wouldn't be nearly as infuriating in this game once you got once more, since most of the nonsense stems from you getting one tapped by something you didn't see.

No clue how I would've beaten the Doll fight without the hero's shield. In my proud playthrough I never used it but here it's pretty much necessary if you don't want to get obliterated. Nano Arms is also pretty good because of the AoE shield on it.

All in all Crit so far isn't really matching up to Crit in KH2FM for me, but I'll have to hold on till end game to really see if it shines because that's when KH2FM picks up too.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Just add in 10 superbosses and this is the best KH game to date.

Don't even have to make new ones up just split up the final bosses and balance them for 1v1.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
have a question for someone that is playing on critical, i started playing on proud mode since i finished KH2 on proud (what a task) and on KH3 proud is way too easy but some battles take too long and get a bit boring, since i don't have a lot of time available for gaming I was considering restarting the game on normal and just continue there since battles would finish faster.
SO my question is, do battles end fast on Critical mode?

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
have a question for someone that is playing on critical, i started playing on proud mode since i finished KH2 on proud (what a task) and on KH3 proud is way too easy but some battles take too long and get a bit boring, since i don't have a lot of time available for gaming I was considering restarting the game on normal and just continue there since battles would finish faster.
In my experience they can be slower due to time lost from dying and restarting and the fact that your big room clearing attacks don't come as often. If you want things to be faster, I wouldn't choose Critical Mode.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should be as you do more damage BUT you die faster too. You also start with more abilities so your more mobile early in the game wich helps ALOT.

It is quite the bump compared to proud where you could spam attractions etc. Wont work as good there + you can turn attractions off mostly.

Imo its more fun cuz the game is actually a challenge this way but be patient if you try it youll die alot but if you learn enemy patterns and boss attacks it will be just as manageable as the other games crit modes. But yes you kinda turn into a semi glass cannon who dies in a few hits but does a bit more damage aswell.

I would not try level 1 yet tho till you finished a regular run cuz thats gonna be even more challanging with leveling up and stuff you kinda can out level it a bit if stuff gets to hard on a level 1 run you literally need all things to your disposal instead of having some leeway still.

Honestly do it if you think proud is too easy if not just finish proud and carry over your stuff to a crit mode run.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Should be as you do more damage BUT you die faster too. You also start with more abilities so your more mobile early in the game wich helps ALOT.

It is quite the bump compared to proud where you could spam attractions etc. Wont work as good there + you can turn attractions off mostly.

Imo its more fun cuz the game is actually a challenge this way but be patient if you try it youll die alot but if you learn enemy patterns and boss attacks it will be just as manageable as the other games crit modes. But yes you kinda turn into a semi glass cannon who dies in a few hits but does a bit more damage aswell.

I would not try level 1 yet tho till you finished a regular run cuz thats gonna be even more challanging with leveling up and stuff you kinda can out level it a bit if stuff gets to hard on a level 1 run you literally need all things to your disposal instead of having some leeway still.

Honestly do it if you think proud is too easy if not just finish proud and carry over your stuff to a crit mode run.

Thanks!!
I'll probably carry on slowly with proud mode since it's actually quite easy, just takes longer to finish fights

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I told myself I would wait for the big DLC before replaying on Critical, but the positive impressions are making me reconsider...

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
I think the title should be changed, for obvious reasons

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I've never played a Critical Mode in any KH game. I stopped KH3 after maybe 4 hours because of how boringly easy it was. Good idea to restart on Critical? It's not tedious difficult is it?

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Went straight to Tangled after Twilight Town, and am now currently stuck on Gothel.

They weren't kidding about tweaking the bosses, because holy crap I was not ready for these combination attacks. I went "aw she's summoning the birds this is gonna be easy to dod- oh shit is that a bird-headbutt combo?! But she can't do that- *dead*". I haven't noticed any other new moves, though her AI has a new, weird habit of running off while doing nothing.

She actually hasn't changed too much... I'm just having a hard time because of the stuff I mentioned previously. Trying to build up Counter Shield when Gothel can instantly transition to a spin attack (that'll 1 shot me) just isn't fun.

I'm gonna try Monsoon's advice and if that doesn't work, I'm gonna run back and finish Toy Story first.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
That little pop up that tells you you should try equipping new keyblades when you pause after getting your first one is new right lol? I had seen so many people somehow go through the game without realizing they got new weapons. Apparently Square noticed.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah but like, he doesn't actually DIE so like it shouldnt be a deal, most people will actually need to read Nomura's interview to figure out what the hell happened at the end of the game

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Dude, it's just a Sekiro joke. Don't think too hard about it. That it can have more than one meaning only works if you've already played the game.

Deleted member 12509

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was under the impression that you don't do more damage on Critical (ala every Critical Mode post-KH2), is that not true?

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
While I definitly will only do a full playhtrough once the DLC hits, I may download the patch and see how the beginning is. As in, play a bit in Olympus around and see how often I die to regular enemies.
This is exactly what I did last night. Really liked what I experienced so far too. Can't wait for the DLC now.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017

It's a clear play on Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice and the difficulty of Critical mode. No one is going to assume that it has any relevancy to the game unless people that HAVE played the game link it to one.

Super Amikami

Oct 28, 2017
It's a clear play on Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice and the difficulty of Critical mode. No one is going to assume that it has any relevancy to the game unless people that HAVE played the game link it to one.

As someone who beat the game,
but hasnt played sekiro, i also thought it was a spoiler lol. Im still trying to figure out the domo arigatou riku part though so im the one super out of the loop lol

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Okay... so I decided to screw around on New Game+ Critical (so all Keyblades, instead of just a completely new Critical Run)

...And I ended up finishing Olympus already. Holy crap, having ALL the Keyblades at the start is a real game changer (for me)

While you don't get Formchanges immediately, it's so much fun once you actually get access to them. The Titan bosses aren't completely tedious now (you can easily chase down the Wind Titan with Pirate Flag), crowd control isn't an issue either since you can have Hunny Blasters + Shooting Star right from the start, also those two Keyblades / Formchanges are AMAZING for building up commands too (just fire a bunch of rounds, then switch Keyblades and you get nice and easy Counter Shield or whatever)

I think I might just straight up continue NG+ Critical. Having to deal with the crappy Formchange command rates is way more bearable when I can choose from all the Keyblades. I also really want to try out certain Keyblades / Formchanges against bosses that weren't previously possible (like Nano Gear on Skuld, or Blizzard Blades on the UFO boss)

So, how often do commands show up now? Are there still like 3-4 commands up on the screen at all times?

At all times? No, for a bunch of a reasons

-It's harder to get Formchange/Grand Magic Commands in general
-Attraction Flow can be disabled to get Formchange/Grand Magic commands faster (and you'll want to disable them because of the above)
-Rage Mode is less likely to pop up because of how much damage enemies and bosses do
-Party members die much, much more easily (meaning there's less time/chance for Party Commands to pop up)

It technically can still happen, but I've only had it happen once or twice

Roach

Nov 5, 2018
I'm liking it as well thus far. As annoying as I'm sure some people will find it the mp reduction was definitely needed with how easy/effect it is to spam Fire ( or magic in general) Game was pretty easy on a regular Proud mode playthrough but the Lvl 1 playthrough could end up leading to a number of fights getting pretty long-in-the-tooth with how little damage you did compared to leveling up. I'm also really appreciating being able to get Withstand Combo/Second Chance for this run just so I don't get sniped as often lol.

Was hoping for some more combo modifiers or unique Critical abilities though I imagine that's more for Final Mix content on down the line.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
The earlygame's pretty amazing with the new starting abilities. I really love that they gave bosses more moves/patterns too, really refreshing and a nice suprise for some.

Ultimately you can't change the fundamental design of how the enemy hoards of the game are, so taking away attraction flow and giving you more options early on is a pretty interesting start.

Looking forward to seeing if the late/later game bosses have some changes too. It's so fun learning if they do and being suprised.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
So people are asking about a lot of specifics, but I think the big picture question is - does it FEEL like a significantly different game? Is it fun?

Alox12

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 23, 2019
So people are asking about a lot of specifics, but I think the big picture question is - does it FEEL like a significantly different game? Is it fun?
I've already done a proud level 1 run, so this one doesn't feel much different, but it's certainly fun, especially with the NG+ option.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
In terms of significantly different without attraction flow and you being forced to rely more on combat abilities along with bosses having more moves and you being forced to learn them? Absolutely, totally different game.

I'm having fun with it, but I like a challenge. I think some folks will find it fun or parts of it fun and parts of it frustrating.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
the new mode,,, how i can say

i really didn't except it to be that hard

i trained several times and this

ahhhhh, i am just in the first world and i can't beat it lol.
and i am using Ultima Weapon.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
Bosses have new moves? :O
I don't think all of them do but I definitely have noticed it in quite a few. The final Tangled boss summons bats out of their mouth that attack you and does a giant dive on you quite frequently (that you can block and knock her out of)

She also has flowers that bind you to the ground and don't let you escape that specific area they've trapped you in unless you've destroyed them.

The Ice Titan does a Ice Smash on the ground if you stay there for too long summoning ice blocks against you and their other moves are much more frequent.

I also noticed powerwilds (the monkey heartless) throw fruit at you quite frequently and dusk nobodys use their heads to expand and hit you with them, so there's definitely some more moves they've added to some.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Started over again, this time with my keyblades carried over, and it's definitely a bit more enjoyable now. I feel like they definitely tuned this with the assumption that most people are going to transfer their keyblades over, kinda like how DDD's Critical Mode is far more manageable is you transfer Dream Eaters from a previous save.

With that said, Frying Pan is easily the most useful transformation for me by far early on. The fully stocked counter attack seems to do a bit more damage on average compared to the one for Hero's Origin. I'm starting to see the damage overall start to get into chip territory though, so I imagine things are going to get uncomfortably tedious later on.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think all of them do but I definitely have noticed it in quite a few. The final Tangled boss summons bats out of their mouth that attack you and does a giant dive on you quite frequently (that you can block and knock her out of)

She also has flowers that bind you to the ground and don't let you escape that specific area they've trapped you in unless you've destroyed them.

The Ice Titan does a Ice Smash on the ground if you stay there for too long summoning ice blocks against you and their other moves are much more frequent.

I also noticed powerwilds (the monkey heartless) throw fruit at you quite frequently and dusk nobodys use their heads to expand and hit you with them, so there's definitely some more moves they've added to some.
That's awesome, thanks for the examples!

Alox12

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 23, 2019
She has always had this move, I noticed it for the first time on my level 1 run. To be honest, I don't think that the other things you mentioned are new moves either, we just probably didn't notice them becaus bosses usually died fast.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Were any changes made to any of the other difficulties?

Please at least buff Proud Mode so there isn't 3 easy modes alongside one super hard one.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I died more in the first hour of Crit mode that I did in the entirety of my Proud Run. This was exactly what I wanted!

It's not perfect and some parts really show the flaws in the design (the fact that dying on the map takes you back to when you first entered the map is a big problem when maps are this big. The room system of older games made this much less of a problem). The Lock on issue is also bothersome.

Only just beat Hercules before going to work, but I'm actually a bit excited to play KH3 again. Hope they give us some new content soonish too.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Ah man, these impressions of Critical mode sound amazing. I might not be able to wait for the DLC before I start a new run.