• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
VjwfcwU.png

It seems Kingdom Hearts 3, without any of the previous games being on Xbox One, is doing quite well.

Note that this is the US store.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Damn.
Who knew?
At least we know Xbox users want to support Japanese games.

Just can't believe BO beat RE2...
Come on!

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it would have done alot better with the provious games on the systems tho.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Alright Square and Phil, time to give us the Story So Far.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
But Era told me listening to fans and include all the non numbered games in a bombastic climatic finale to all the storylines with some of the most popular Disney movies there are was too intimidating for newcomers and a recipe for failure!

Quick! Someone post the Polygon Review!

Jokes aside this is extremely well deserved

Hopefully this means Xbros get The Story So Far collection

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts 3 is massive AAA game with Disney appeal. It was always going sell decently on Xbox especially in US where the userbase difference is not that big. We saw the same with FFXV. It's smaller JRPGs that rely on smaller niche audience where Xbox suffers.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait. Steep ahead of RDR2????
It doesn't take much to move up these Xbox charts from what I've observed. Selling a few thousand copies can probably put you at the top. It's why while KH3 is at #1 right now it doesn't mean it's sold that many copies. I think some people here think that if you're in the #1 spot it means you've sold 100,000 copies or more and that isn't the case. Especially in a slow post holiday month like January when game sales are typically down a lot.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
But Kingdom Hearts is a "niche game". Glad its doing so well. Can't wait for more. Hope Xbox players can get The Story So Far... now.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It doesn't take much to move up these Xbox charts from what I've observed. Selling a few thousand copies can probably put you at the top. It's why while KH3 is at #1 right now it doesn't mean it's sold that many copies. I think some people here think that if you're in the #1 spot it means you've sold 100,000 copies or more and that isn't the case. Especially in a slow post holiday month like January when game sales are typically down a lot.

I mean, when you're beating Call of Duty in any measure of time, a game that routinely top 5s ALL YEAR LONG, I think 100k+ is a good estimate.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
But I was told that Type 0 flopping on Xbox meant that every Jrpg on Xbox would flop forever.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
I mean, KH3 was going to do well no matter what. It has Disney's backing and stamp so it doesn't matter if you're into the story or not, casuals would always play it because of Disney and X1 would do well on that front too since it's not a niche JRPG but a Disney game. Both FF and KH fit in this category and are really the only two exceptions. That's why FFXV was also #1 on X1 and did excellently on it. They both have mass appeal and are mainstream. Every other JRPG doesn't have this luxury, except Pokemon, but I don't consider it a JRPG.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But Era told me listening to fans and include all the non numbered games in a bombastic climatic finale to all the storylines with some of the most popular Disney movies there are was too intimidating for newcomers and a recipe for failure!

Who's Era? Have I met them?

But I was told that Type 0 flopping on Xbox meant that every Jrpg on Xbox would flop forever.

I feel like this post and this thread in general is a bit of jumping the gun. It's hard to extrapolate anything meaningful besides KH3's current position in the Xbox store. Anything more than that is just fodder for console warz type rhetoric.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I made my part. I'm not that big of a fan, but as I always say, any Japanese company supporting Xbox has my money. Luckily, I'm enjoying the game a lot, even more than the previous entries.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, that's great. I always wanted to see more love for Japanese games on the system and seems folks were waiting the whole time.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, when you're beating Call of Duty in any measure of time, a game that routinely top 5s ALL YEAR LONG, I think 100k+ is a good estimate.
Going to disagree with you there again based on what I've observed from these charts. I see games go on the weekly sale and end up topping games like COD all the time. I know damn well they aren't selling 100K just because they are discounted a little. Old games just don't sell like that especially in the course of a single week. Heck when Hellblade released on Xbox it was topping these charts too yet we know exactly how much it sold due to Ninja Theory showing us and it didn't get close to 100K in the week or 2 that they tracked it for their goal.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie, I bought the game on both storefronts mainly because I wanted to support a big-name JRPG coming to Xbox for the first time. I want more of them.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
Hope it continues to have success on Xbox. Maybe that will mean they could port The Story So Far onto Xbox altho im not sure exactly they would touch up the older games to have Xbox inputs and all that.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks like I was right in thinking not having the collections on X1 wouldn't hinder the success of KH3. The drama about "the story so far" was way overblown.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Hope it continues to have success on Xbox. Maybe that will mean they could port The Story So Far onto Xbox altho im not sure exactly they would touch up the older games to have Xbox inputs and all that.
I'm not sure why they wouldn't? They had to for the PS4 releases (changing Start to Options, Select to the touchpad, etc.).

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
RE2 and RE2 Deluxe are counted separately, so I would imagine RE2 is actually above BO4 and possibly KH3.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Going to disagree with you there again based on what I've observed from these charts. I see games go on the weekly sale and end up topping games like COD all the time. I know damn well they aren't selling 100K just because they are discounted a little. Old games just don't sell like that especially in the course of a single week. Heck when Hellblade released on Xbox it was topping these charts too yet we know exactly how much it sold due to Ninja Theory showing us and it didn't get close to 100K in the week or 2 that they tracked it for their goal.

I actually don't remember Hellblade topping the charts. If I recall it was always selling pretty low and one of the highest rankings for it was in South America (I guess due to people getting it for a different price).
Regardless, you're right that we can't track exact copies sold from these charts. Hell no shop period allows for that. But the fact that KH3 along with numerous other Japanese titles are in the top 10 I think is nice to see. I certainly wouldn't complain about "selling 100k" if I saw DMC5 next month in the top seller spot for xbox either.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I did my part this morning, even though I bought Wargroove and Dragon Marked For Death too... I splurged a bit today.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually don't remember Hellblade topping the charts. If I recall it was always selling pretty low and one of the highest rankings for it was in South America (I guess due to people getting it for a different price).
Regardless, you're right that we can't track exact copies sold from these charts. Hell no shop period allows for that. But the fact that KH3 along with numerous other Japanese titles are in the top 10 I think is nice to see. I certainly wouldn't complain about "selling 100k" if I saw DMC5 next month in the top seller spot for xbox either.
I think this was their highest rankings across the various regions stores:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...out-real-time-sales-on-xbox-live.35541/page-2
17th April
US #04
UK #04
CA #04
DE #01
FR #02
MX #06
BR #01
AU #07

In the US it was trailing only Far Cry 5 which was pretty new at the time, PUBG, and Fortnite both of which were at very high numbers back in early 2018. Despite that Hellblade still didn't do 100K worldwide even with all those high rankings in all those various regions.

Not saying KH3 isn't doing well because I'm sure it's doing fine. I just think that some people who see a game shoot to the top of these charts could get the wrong idea about how many copies are actually being sold.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Wonder if the Final Fantasy ports coming in April can hit that mark too. If so maybe it'll finally open some eyes to the fact that these games are wanted on Xbox.

PerfectFlaw

Oct 25, 2017

To be fair, my wife - who has never played a Kingdom Hearts game and knows nothing about the story - has been watching me play and doesn't want to touch the game; she thinks that everyone is just talking nonsense half the time. So there are definitely people out there that feel this way.

It's pretty great to me, though.

Also, playing Kingdom Hearts on my One X looks amazing.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Kingdom Hearts 3 is massive AAA game with Disney appeal. It was always going sell decently on Xbox especially in US where the userbase difference is not that big. We saw the same with FFXV. It's smaller JRPGs that rely on smaller niche audience where Xbox suffers.

100% this, yet people seem to think big Japanese games dont do well on Xbox. For some strange reason people were looking at FF Type O to determine of there was interest on the Xbox, not even deep FF fans liked that game. If something is marketed well and treated as right, regardless of the platform it'll move units, especially if the game is good.

Last edited:

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
People on this forum (an enthusiast gaming forum) actually thought there was no point in porting KH3 to Xbox because it wouldn't sell and that the only reason it released on Xbox is because SE announced the game before they realized how both consoles would sell.