• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How are you finding KH3 difficulty?

• Easy

Votes: 546 62.8%
  • Just Right

Votes: 302 34.8%
  • Hard

Votes: 21 2.4%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
So I have about 13 hours in this game. Been playing it since Saturday. I am very familiar with the KH series, and how they play. I don't usually play on the higher difficulties because I feel the standard mode gives me enough challenge for my skill level.

For KH3, I decided to buck the trend and go with Proud (hardest difficulty). I thought I just replayed KH series, so I should have enough experience to get through the game on the hardest difficulty.

Sweet Merciful Jesus.

This game is a joke. This is almost Ni No Kuni 2 levels of easy here.

This game is so easy that it is actually hampering my enjoyment. I have actually started handicapping myself just to give me a challenge, and its STILL too easy.
-I stopped upgrading my keyblade and am only using the Kingdom Key
-I DO NOT use ANY triangle commands (only use them once to see what the animation is, but don't use them again)
-Do not use any magic boosts, strength, ap boosts

And its STILL too easy. At this point, I will have to start removing equipment.

Is it just me? I am not some action rpg expert here. I don't play Devil May Cry, or Bayonetta.

I've been trying to figure out why it's so easy and I can't figure it out. I think it's maybe a combination of things?

1. Magic is now much more viable. No longer are you locked into place, but have free movement while casting.
2. Stupid reaction commands that pop up every 2 seconds. I genuinely hate these btw. More often than not they are these super commands that just hit everything on screen. Problem is that they are so fucking frequent. Sometimes they actually get in my way because I accidentally set them off.
3. Enemy damage vs player health is off? No idea.
4. More party members? Now you generally have 2 extra members, meaning there is now 5 vs the previous 3.

Problem is that there is no critical mode. And honestly, at this point, there needs to be a super critical mode because critical mode might be just the normal difficulty. Knowing Nomura though, he'll release KH3 Final Mix with an extra difficulty and it'll be Japanese only for like 2 years or something.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It is incredibly easy. It seems like a level 1 run will be the only way to get a good challenge out of the game.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
There's an OT for this. Come on, now. Let's not start the ERA hate brigade threads already. If it's too easy, turn off xp.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's incredibly dissapointing... I'm now considering returning my copy and picking it up later cheap. I have a good backlog already. But a game that's not going to present any challenge in terms of play is pretty dissapointing.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
It's super easy and sometimes you spend more time using triangle commands than beating enemies in a normal way.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never played Kingdom Hearts and I'm equipping and using no items but I'm breezing through on hard difficulty.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
it's a lot easier than some of the other games for sure, but im not super far in yet

Zexen

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's what I figured too. Been playing Kingdom Hearts games on Proud mode since KH2 and all the other games after, remaster included, and I have to say that this one feels like a complete joke difficulty wise.

Maybe playing it in critical would make things more interesting, but I assume we need to finish it once already, since I didn't saw the option when I started my game.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
There's an OT for this. Come on, now. Let's not start the ERA hate brigade threads already. If it's too easy, bump up to proud and turn off xp.
Let the mods mod.

On topic, if this is the case it will be a big issue for me. I enjoyed NNK2 but the difficulty was my biggest complaint with the game. There's no point in having tons of systems and mechanics if the game is cake without them.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I started it on beginner (I played KH1, 2 and BBS on that and it was challenging for me personally) and so far beginner does fit the description of a joke. You literally can just spam the screenclearing magic team up attacks, attraction magic or Sora's triangle attack to win every fight without any repercussions.

Boss fights take mere seconds so far.

For me personally, that's not a bad thing. I've got so many games and so little time anymore that I just want to be a content tourist and get in and out of most games frustration free.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Isn't this game geared towards kids too? Not too surprising it's easy. The little girls that get the game for Frozen need to actually make it to the Frozen level.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Problem is that there is no critical mode. And honestly, at this point, there needs to be a super critical mode because critical mode might be just the normal difficulty. Knowing Nomura though, he'll release KH3 Final Mix with an extra difficulty and it'll be Japanese only for like 2 years or something.

Nomura said that if/when they DLC it will be one big expansion like final mix, i doubt they will make it japanese only

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah having a similar problem to this.

Playing it on Normal

Apprently I should have started on "Proud"

Already 4 hours in...and you have to restart to change difficulty :/

The gameplay feels like spectacle and no strategy involved in Normal mode

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah having a similar problem to this.

Playing it on Normal

Apprently I should have started on "Proud"

Already 4 hours in...and you have to restart to change difficulty :/

The gameplay feels like spectacle and no strategy involved in Normal mode
You can't change difficulty mid game? What?! LOL, that stinks. Well hopefully people that want any type of challenge see this thread before starting the game.

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It's horrifically piss weak in terms of difficulty.

Which is a mega shame. The other Proud/Critical modes of older Kingdom Hearts were balls to the wall super hard. Meanwhile you actively have to go out of your way to try and kill yourself in KH3.

On Proud Mode as well.

Also doesn't help that in the very first world, you can get an accessory to make Water's Grand Magic into Waterza, which is a fucking ginormous dome of "I'm going to tear through 3 bars of your health and there's no boss that will survive 15 seconds into this onslaught".

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
This thread has literally been the first thing that has encouraged me to get this game. I never want long games to be hard. I also expect to chill with this. Thank you OP.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, just watching some gameplay made the game look extremely easy, so I'm waiting for Critical before I start playing.

I don't mind waiting, but Proud not offering any real challenge is a real issue with the series, except for Final Mix Proud in KH 1.

Level 1 characters do no damage in this game, btw, so Level 1 Proud just becomes tedious, instead of a fun challenge like Level 1 Critical in II FM, or straight up OP like Aqua Level 1 Critical in BBS.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
This thread has literally been the first thing that has encouraged me to get this game. I never want long games to be hard. I also expect to chill with this. Thank you OP.

Hey, no prob.

Put it on easy, give it to your cat to play, and you can just sit back and watch. lol.

I'm joking. But yeah, if you like easy, you'll love this.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I chose proud and just mashing x obliterates enemies.... The battle is super flashy with long ass animations.... And gives an automated feeling.... After all the thrashing that FFXV received from kingdom hearts fans I honestly was expecting more from this battle system. (Maybe it will become better in the later parts).

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
KH1 was still the only somewhat challenging one on hard.

These games were so easy that they added better hard modes in the rereleases.

They were usually still a fun time though.

Alox12

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 23, 2019
Proud mode was also pretty easy in KH2 and I feel like KH1 and BBS were harder only because of bad combat (clunky movements and floatiness).

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue proud modes on the other games at least gave some semblance of difficulty. If it's just dirt easy all the way around, I shouldnt have to handicap myself to get a challenge

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Squeenix did that same crap with Dragon Quest XI.
Man, I hate that! But typically for me I want to change the difficulty for the opposite reason. If I get stuck at a difficult boss instead of trying to grind to level up and beat him, I'd much rather just drop the difficulty just for that battle. I hate grinding in jrpgs that are 80+ hours. I'd rather "cheat"

Here is the game is too easy, which is a new one. hah

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The game gives you so much crap to use against mobs with absolutely no drawbacks that it just becomes annoying. Even without using any of the triangle commands, enemies are still too easy.

Hope for a critical mode.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
So I have about 13 hours in this game. Been playing it since Saturday. I am very familiar with the KH series, and how they play. I don't usually play on the higher difficulties because I feel the standard mode gives me enough challenge for my skill level.

For KH3, I decided to buck the trend and go with Proud (hardest difficulty). I thought I just replayed KH series, so I should have enough experience to get through the game on the hardest difficulty.

Sweet Merciful Jesus.

This game is a joke. This is almost Ni No Kuni 2 levels of easy here.

This game is so easy that it is actually hampering my enjoyment. I have actually started handicapping myself just to give me a challenge, and its STILL too easy.
-I stopped upgrading my keyblade and am only using the Kingdom Key
-I DO NOT use ANY triangle commands (only use them once to see what the animation is, but don't use them again)
-Do not use any magic boosts, strength, ap boosts

And its STILL too easy. At this point, I will have to start removing equipment.

Is it just me? I am not some action rpg expert here. I don't play Devil May Cry, or Bayonetta.

I've been trying to figure out why it's so easy and I can't figure it out. I think it's maybe a combination of things?

1. Magic is now much more viable. No longer are you locked into place, but have free movement while casting.
2. Stupid reaction commands that pop up every 2 seconds. I genuinely hate these btw. More often than not they are these super commands that just hit everything on screen. Problem is that they are so fucking frequent. Sometimes they actually get in my way because I accidentally set them off.
3. Enemy damage vs player health is off? No idea.
4. More party members? Now you generally have 2 extra members, meaning there is now 5 vs the previous 3.

Do you think they will do what Kuni 2 did and put out a balancing patch making enemies harder? If so I'll pick it up when that patch hits. I had no issue with Kuni 2 but It did make it less challenging and i breezed through it. Wasn't until they added more challenging bosses in one of the patches that I actually started to sweat a little.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Why post your own thread when there's an OT? Also, this is a kid's game. Kids don't care about proud mode or anything like that.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't recall KH being this easy. I'm not far into the game yet but I definitely noticed how I'm just mashing through these enemies like it's nothing.

KH1 and 2 provided some challenge, didn't they?

Jul 24, 2018
Proud mode was also pretty easy in KH2 and I feel like KH1 and BBS were harder only because of bad combat (clunky movements and floatiness).
A few people have said this about BBS. But I can't say I found it floaty at all. I love all of your moves aren't relegated to pressing the X button, and you can customize your own layout ala Chain of Memories.