• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017

This says everything I needed to say about the Opening, ignoring the song of course (which is pretty difficult)

Cheap? Rushed? You decide.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but that Skrillex song is just not my type of music and it's not the type of music I imagine in a KH game. It's like listening to Afrojack's BRAVER on FFXV. Like... wtf???

It's the most appropriate song for KH. All the intros thus far have been different forms of EDM remixes.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

This says everything I needed to say about the Opening, ignoring the song of course (which is pretty difficult)

Cheap and rushed? lol. You have no idea what you're talking about. This is a game that is the culmination of over 2 decades of build-up, of course the intro will reference past important scenes. And stuff like Sora (& other characters) falling through the skies is a staple of KH intros at this point. Plus this is only, like, half of the intro for all we know. There could be a lot more to it than just these scenes referencing old ones, which they just don't want to spoil before release.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
Cheap and rushed? lol. You have no idea what you're talking about. This is a game that is the culmination of over 2 decades of build-up, of course the intro will reference past important scenes. And stuff like Sora (& other characters) falling through the skies is a staple of KH intros at this point. Plus this is only, like, half of the intro for all we know. There could be a lot more to it than just these scenes referencing old ones, which they just don't want to spoil before release.

You are all missing the point and the point is that the CGI (which that scene is not) is bad in places. 3D's opening had better CGI for two Days trio scene and that was in 2012.

I really believe that specific part is in-engine. It's incredibly bad for KH3.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After watching the opening I feel bad for anyone who only played the mainline games. You'd be asking "who is that" more than an old person watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
I've been listening to the new track all day, it's so damn good to me. I guess the only nitpick I have is that it doesn't seem to fit the opening exactly right but I'll wait for the full video before passing judgement.

Not sure what you mean, it looks great with some "iconic" scenes, and they are obviously using the game engine for the opening this time around.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
You are all missing the point and the point is that the CGI (which that scene is not) is bad in places. 3D's opening had better CGI for two Days trio scene and that was in 2012.

I really believe that specific part is in-engine. It's incredibly bad for KH3.
none of them are in-engine. It's just different lighting/style they are using in this opening compared to previous ones. Same style as the one we saw at E3 trailer (Kairi/Axel scene)

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think I've watched it at least 10 times now. The hype is really getting to me y'all.

Poor other 2019 games having to live in KH3's shadow.

Oct 30, 2017
That song was awesome in the beginning. But damn the last 15 seconds or so just sound like they don't fit the song or the video. I overall still like it though.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017

I'm talking about the poor lighting and character models.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking about the poor lighting and character models.
I kind of see what you mean. The cutaway at the beginning of the tweet you linked to from Xion to the group is jarring, and definitely just looks a lot closer to what we've seen in-game.

I don't think it's bad, but it is a bit weird.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
After watching the opening I feel bad for anyone who only played the mainline games. You'd be asking "who is that" more than an old person watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.
I played just the mainline and 358/2 days plus beginning of KH BBS. I felt like I recognized everyone except Xelhort at places if you catch my drift

Did I miss anyone else? I think I knew everyone except Xel

but ignorance is a scary thing. I wouldn't know if I missed someone unless told :)

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

How can you say the opening sound cheap and rushed after watching the trailer? And thats ignoring the whole 2:30 minutes missing from the full thing.

Don't understand this post.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
DuEW4vEVYAEtPUc.jpg:orig

DuEW7bOVAAEtD3R.jpg:orig

some material detail changes from DDD opening to KH3 opening for Sora.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
How can you say the opening sound cheap and rushed after watching the trailer? And thats ignoring the whole 2:30 minutes missing from the full thing.

Don't understand this post.

Rewatch the KH2 opening then come back to this one.

I don't know maybe they out-sourced this opening or something, it just doesn't look right.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017

I don't know maybe they out-sourced this opening or something, it just doesn't look right.
it's certainly different style from KH2 opening where it had a lot of soft light and bloom-looking feel. I feel it's stylistic change to make it feel similar to the actual game look as well. Visual Works is actually working closely with KH3 development so that could be a factor.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

KH2, KH1, BbS, DDD, look worse than this current iteration of CGI mostly because their lighting feels (and is) much harsher and flatter. Obviously the models, the further back you go, look less and less detailed and with a plastic-y finish to them as well.

Of course, one can prefer that sort of look, that's fine, but objectively not only do these models have much more detail (just the materials alone look much better) but the lighting is actually properly rendered and works much better. The shadowing is also improved.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I started watching this and stopped after like 10 seconds.

The game comes out in like 1.5 months. The opening video should be experienced the first time you play the game. I'm not sure why they would release this ahead of time.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so. That scene looked like in-engine but pre-rendered, like Back Cover.
it's easy to tell by the detail of the coat. in-engine ones have much less detail/movement of the fabric and you can really tell by the polygons on the sleeve.
61UPvOikZqL._SL1280_.jpg

tumblr_oi79mpHlYm1qmj8kgo1_1280.png

sL0U7zT.jpg

the coat on the KH3 opening is incredibly detailed compared to any in-engine stuff in KH3.
The lighting and the style is very different from previous KH openings so it looks closer to in-engine stuff in terms of face and overall feel. That's why some people thought the Kairi/Axel scene from E3 trailer was no CG, when it clearly was.