• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you gotten the platinum in any Kingdom Hearts games?

• Yes! All of them!

Votes: 42 7.6%
  • I got a few. Or one.

Votes: 143 25.8%
  • No, but I got all the Secret Endings.

Votes: 115 20.8%
  • LOL.

Votes: 254 45.8%

• Total voters

jeffrockz312

Oct 27, 2017
KH 1 isn't really balanced all that well on proud mode, so I would go for normal. If you are replaying KH 2, proud mode is just the right amount of challenge overall, though some parts of the prologue are kind of tough due to your limited options. Whatever you do, don't play BBS on critical. Everything takes forever. I haven't played CoM in a while so I'm don't really remember how the difficulty was.
Thanks! If I'm trying to platinum the game, which things should I look out for?

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
KH 1 isn't really balanced all that well on proud mode, so I would go for normal. If you are replaying KH 2, proud mode is just the right amount of challenge overall, though some parts of the prologue are kind of tough due to your limited options. Whatever you do, don't play BBS on critical. Everything takes forever. I haven't played CoM in a while so I'm don't really remember how the difficulty was.
KH1FM Proud and KH2FM Critical both start out quite difficult, but get significantly easier once you've got some more abilities and Keyblades to play with. I think the highest difficulty level for those two games is absolutely the most satisfying way to play it. The games are sufficiently stat-dependent (but with clever stun/magic exploits) that it's never truly unfair to you.

But yeah, BBS is much better on Proud than on Critical (same goes for DDD).

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
KH1FM Proud and KH2FM Critical both start out quite difficult, but get significantly easier once you've got some more abilities and Keyblades to play with. I think the highest difficulty level for those two games is absolutely the most satisfying way to play it. The games are sufficiently stat-dependent (but with clever stun/magic exploits) that it's never truly unfair to you.

I mainly have a terrible time with Cerberus and the Cave of Wonders boss on Proud. The rest of the game is ok, but those two bosses go on way to long, are really frustrating, and there's not a good way to attack them without taking damage. I don't even know how many times I've died on them. On Standard, it's much less of issue because you can just tank more of the damage and heal.

I've never actually played Critical KH2, which is why I didn't mention it. I've just heard that BBS Critical is awful.

jeffrockz312

Oct 27, 2017
I started out on Proud mode on KHFM. Did some searching and picked shield and sacrificed staff. I also picked dawn since I think it'll be easier to level up to 100 once I'm past 40 anyway when abilities are unlocked. I'll probably make this run my completionist run and do the other trophies on my second or third run on beginner mode.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I mainly have a terrible time with Cerberus and the Cave of Wonders boss on Proud. The rest of the game is ok, but those two bosses go on way to long, are really frustrating, and there's not a good way to attack them without taking damage. I don't even know how many times I've died on them. On Standard, it's much less of issue because you can just tank more of the damage and heal.

I've never actually played Critical KH2, which is why I didn't mention it. I've just heard that BBS Critical is awful.
KH1's less-obvious Keyblade stats actually make an ENORMOUS difference, which is why the no-equipment-change run sucks to much. The deflect/interrupt stat is REALLY important to your quality of life and makes a significant difference against both of those bosses, IIRC, but the game never really tells you that.
I started out on Proud mode on KHFM. Did some searching and picked shield and sacrificed staff. I also picked dawn since I think it'll be easier to level up to 100 once I'm past 40 anyway when abilities are unlocked. I'll probably make this run my completionist run and do the other trophies on my second or third run on beginner mode.
This is like the opposite of what I'd recommend :(

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017

How far in have you gotten? I would really, really, really recommend that you not drop staff. Magic is really important in KH1, and unlike strength and defense, you can't get items to raise magic later. As for the leveling, aside from when you gain levels the fastest, it also determines how many experience total you need to max out. You need to get way more experience by picking dawn than by picking dusk.

Last edited:

jeffrockz312

Oct 27, 2017
Time for a restart then. Damn, I wasted 40 minutes fighting Tidus and gang.

How far in have you gotten? I would really, really, really recommend that you not drop staff. Magic is really important in KH1, and unlike strength and defense, you can't get items to raise magic later. As for the leveling, aside from when you gain levels the fastest, it also determines how many experience total you need to max out. You need to get way more experience by picking dawn than by picking dusk.

I've been reading and the reason they pick shield over staff is the early second chance and leaf bracer. As this is the first time I'm gonna play KH1, this looks like it removes risk for a first timer. Staff would be for ones who want to max out Sora.

Anyway I'm gonna try both ways until the first world.

Last edited:

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Time for a restart then. Damn, I wasted 40 minutes fighting Tidus and gang.

I've been reading and the reason they pick shield over staff is the early second chance and leaf bracer. As this is the first time I'm gonna play KH1, this looks like it removes risk for a first timer. Staff would be for ones who want to max out Sora.

Anyway I'm gonna try both ways until the first world.

Honestly, you should play on standard if this is your first time. The original game actually has a pretty balance difficulty with some crazy spikes on that difficulty. KH1 is not something I would call an easy game on standard.

Proud is something you do once you get a hang of the mechanics of the game which can actually take a while considering you get every ability and magic over time.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, you should play on standard if this is your first time. The original game actually has a pretty balance difficulty with some crazy spikes on that difficulty. KH1 is not something I would call an easy game on standard.

Proud is something you do once you get a hang of the mechanics of the game which can actually take a while considering you get every ability and magic over time.
I agree 100%.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, for a first playthrough of KH1 I would just do standard. Let yourself become familiar with the game and its mechanics, especially the combat system.

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
I figure I'd ask this here since I didn't get a response in the Playstation sale thread: is it worth grabbing Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 on the PS4 if you already have the PS3 versions? I'm aware that the loading times are nearly non-existent and quite a few of the bugs were fixed, but is it worth the extra cash?

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I figure I'd ask this here since I didn't get a response in the Playstation sale thread: is it worth grabbing Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 on the PS4 if you already have the PS3 versions? I'm aware that the loading times are nearly non-existent and quite a few of the bugs were fixed, but is it worth the extra cash?
I would say yes. Alongside the points you mentioned, it feels a lot better to control the characters thanks to the Dualshock 4, plus there's a lot of ease with changing which game you're playing since you only have to back out to the game's main menu as opposed to swapping discs on the PS3.

And if you really enjoyed the 358/2 Days movie then you can enjoy an extra scene that's only available in the PS4 version (Has to be downloaded as DLC from the PSN first).

Last edited:

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix at 60 fps is worth every single penny.

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
I would say yes. Alongside the points you mentioned, it feels a lot better to control the characters thanks to the Dualshock 4, plus there's a lot of ease with changing which game you're playing since you only have to back out to the game's main menu as opposed to swapping discs on the PS3.

And if you really enjoyed the 358/2 Days movie then you can enjoy an extra scene that's only available in the PS4 version (Has to be downloaded as DLC from the PSN first).

Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix at 60 fps is worth every single penny.

Thanks for the advice! I still need to pick up 2.8 as well, so I might have to splurge a bit on Kingdom Hearts since they're all on sale right now... even if there are too many games coming out already. My trophy lists are going to be a little weird since I only have Birth by Sleep sitting on there currently, but that should be fine.

faircure

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the advice! I still need to pick up 2.8 as well, so I might have to splurge a bit on Kingdom Hearts since they're all on sale right now... even if there are too many games coming out already. My trophy lists are going to be a little weird since I only have Birth by Sleep sitting on there currently, but that should be fine.

There's rumors around that Square's gonna put another collection with 1.5, 2.5 and 2.8. I don't know how credible they are, but you might want to wait to see if that'll happen?

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
There's rumors around that Square's gonna put another collection with 1.5, 2.5 and 2.8. I don't know how credible they are, but you might want to wait to see if that'll happen?

That's what I was wondering about, too, but I didn't know how credible that rumor might be. I'm tempted to see if it shows up before buying those games if I can.

Oct 25, 2017
I would hope it puts in an appearance at Jump Festa. It's supposed to be coming out next year, so it'd be a bit concerning if they didn't show it there.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I expect they'll do another trailer at Jump Festa. Not expecting a big new world reveal or anything. They've shown basically nothing of the Tangled world so I could see them leaning on that.

D23 in February tho is the big time. We'll get something juicy there for sure.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see a Moana world, just because of the tropical setting and having Moana and Maui as party members would be great. I'm not expecting or hoping for it though, main reason being that I think the movie was released too late. Maybe the next big KH game instead.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see a Moana world, just because of the tropical setting and having Moana and Maui as party members would be great. I'm not expecting or hoping for it though, main reason being that I think the movie was released too late. Maybe the next big KH game instead.

Yeah if they do Moana it'll be in the next game. The newest movie to be featured in KH3 is confirmed to be Big Hero 6.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Oh hey a KH community thread!

Not sure about a trailer at Jump Festa atm after the recent Nomura comment. If there is one, it won't be significant like revealing a new world or anything I feel.
The next big reveal is at D23 Japan next year and yeah like many people say, I wouldn't be surprised if they announce Frozen world.

OP
OP
malyse

malyse

Community Resetter
Nomura gets to see films early so he can have a chance to put them in if he wants and Disney Infinity would have had a Moana playset had it continued. There's literally no impediment to a Moana world; the "it's too recent" excuse is nonexistent.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't actually seen the movie, but Moana looks like it would be a good fit for KH3 judging from the images and trailers. But l don't think it will be in the game unless like Malyse says Nomura got to see it early and really wanted to put it in the game.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Nomura gets to see films early so he can have a chance to put them in if he wants and Disney Infinity would have had a Moana playset had it continued. There's literally no impediment to a Moana world; the "it's too recent" excuse is nonexistent.
It's a weird thing.

Big Hero 6 was the last world chosen for Kingdom Hearts 3. It's reveal at D23 2015 was unexpected and last minute, so all Nomura could show was a simple illustration of it instead of an actual trailer (and it's why we haven't seen any footage of the world since).
— Sounds like tough work. By the way, was there any reason that you chose D23 to announce the Toy Story world?

Nomura: Actually, it has been in a relatively complete and showable state from a while back, but according to Disney's intentions and promotion plans, I held back on revealing anything. It's a very popular film, so we discussed where would be the best place to announce it, and we thought that D23 was quite suitable.

Last time at D23, we announced the Big Hero 6 world, however it was a sudden request so I could only draw up one small illustration. So, I wanted this D23's announcement to be in video form for everyone to enjoy watching.

— There are also a lot of interested fans waiting for further information on the Big Hero 6 world. Will there be any follow up news soon?

Nomura: Development is coming along fine, but it was the last world that we decided on, so compared to the other worlds we have planned, Big Hero 6 will have to wait a little longer.

Since it was decided sometime before or during August 2015 that Big Hero 6 would be the last world, it makes sense for Moana, a film that came out almost a year and a half later, wasn't considered since Nomura wouldn't have been able to view the film at all at that point in time.

It's consideration for Disney Infinity 3.0 was revealed mid-July in 2016, about 5 months before the film launched. The script, locations, design etc. would have been in a more finalised place in 2016 as opposed to mid-2015. We know that the script, such as the ending, was different back during development, as most film scripts are (for example Big Hero 6 was going to have other villains).

Unfortunately Moana just didn't make the cut due to it's place in film development. Had its development started earlier and it was on track to release at the end of 2015 / start of 2016, we might have seen it considered for Kingdom Hearts 3 since Nomura would have been able to get a more clear idea of the themes and motifs explored in the film.

And who knows, maybe we'll find out one day that it was considered at some point but was cut for whatever reason, like The Jungle Book.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, as a fan of both, Marvel and Star Wars should be kept out of KH absolutely. People who want them in underestimate how much there is to both series. People who complain about Kingdom Hearts being complicated haven't seen anything.
I do get that.

Honestly, I don't really want actual Star Wars/Marvel worlds, but I would love some of the secret bosses come from those. Like having Darth Vadar/ Thanos (movie version) as secret boss would be amazing for me. I know it won't happen but it's just one of my personal wish. The only reason I say I want Avengers Infinity War in KH3 was purely for Thanos lol.

Oct 30, 2017
Hey, I'm playing Kingdom Hearts for the first time (I know, I know), specifically the 1.5 Remix on PS4, and I have a potentially sacrilegious question.

Should I skip this one, and jump straight into the sequel? I ask only because I'm finding certain core elements of the game, mainly the combat and the platforming, to be something of a chore, largely due to it being a 15 year old game. I don't hate it or anything, it's ridiculously charming, but in the interest of time and fun... should I skip?

EDIT: I feel as though I should mention that I'm not very far in. I've just presented evidence in Wonderland. It is highly possible, and probable, that I'm being an impatient little baby. If this is the case, tell me to suck it up and keep playing.

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
So if Disney buys Fox, what worlds do you think we'll be getting for KH3 DLC/KH4? My money is on an Avatar world.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
played through KH1 and 2 over the summer and I can't believe KH1 has quickly become one of my favorite games. Definitely high up there on the RPG list. Looking forward to playing BBS soon.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, I'm playing Kingdom Hearts for the first time (I know, I know), specifically the 1.5 Remix on PS4, and I have a potentially sacrilegious question.

Should I skip this one, and jump straight into the sequel? I ask only because I'm finding certain core elements of the game, mainly the combat and the platforming, to be something of a chore, largely due to it being a 15 year old game. I don't hate it or anything, it's ridiculously charming, but in the interest of time and fun... should I skip?

EDIT: I feel as though I should mention that I'm not very far in. I've just presented evidence in Wonderland. It is highly possible, and probable, that I'm being an impatient little baby. If this is the case, tell me to suck it up and keep playing.

The game does get better as it goes on, so I'd recommend sticking with it. That being said, certain parts of the game are definitely pretty jank, with Atlantica being the standout case.

Oct 30, 2017
The game does get better as it goes on, so I'd recommend sticking with it. That being said, certain parts of the game are definitely pretty jank, with Atlantica being the standout case.
I certainly began to enjoy myself a lot more after leaving Wonderland. I'm currently having my arse handed to me by Cerberus.

I don't think I'll ever enjoy the Gummi Ship levels between worlds, though.

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA

KH1 hasn't aged well, so I wouldn't blame you. If you skip, definitely look up story stuff on YouTube since it matters. But honestly it's not that complicated, and if you skip straight to KH2 you'll be fine. KH2 is about 1000x more fun imo.

Signed, someone who refuses to slog through certain parts of KH1 ever again.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I certainly began to enjoy myself a lot more after leaving Wonderland. I'm currently having my arse handed to me by Cerberus.

Those are much more enjoyable in KH2, the Gummi Ship sections were almost always a drag for me in the first game, but then turned into one of my favorite parts of the second game.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017

Get better engines and the boost as soon as they're available. You'd be surprised how much faster you can get to the next world. You'll also automatically get the ability to skip right to worlds you've already been to pretty soon.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Clemps released his analysis video of KH1, he plans on doing the entire series. (Same dude who did analysis for Drakengard and Nier series)

Pretty entertaining imo, especially if you have followed the franchise and all its bizarre ideas.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
KH1 hasn't aged well, so I wouldn't blame you. If you skip, definitely look up story stuff on YouTube since it matters. But honestly it's not that complicated, and if you skip straight to KH2 you'll be fine. KH2 is about 1000x more fun imo.

Signed, someone who refuses to slog through certain parts of KH1 ever again.

I just encountered the vines in the Tarzan level. I'm out. KH2 it is.

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA
I just encountered the vines in the Tarzan level. I'm out. KH2 it is.

Goodspeed. If you want to make sure you have all the story context you need, all the original story stuff kicks into high gear at Hollow Bastion. You can probably just check out a video walkthrough. Also don't forget to look up a summary of Chain of Memories, because that's between KH1 and KH2.