• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you gotten the platinum in any Kingdom Hearts games?

• Yes! All of them!

Votes: 42 7.6%
  • I got a few. Or one.

Votes: 143 25.8%
  • No, but I got all the Secret Endings.

Votes: 115 20.8%
  • LOL.

Votes: 254 45.8%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Hi!

Hey, hi, sorry, excuse me, why the fuck wasn't I told that KH DDD was this good?! I'm so pleasantly surprised with this game.

Flowmotion is really fun (it could maaaybe control a bit better) and I thought the drop and Pokemon stuff would be worse than it actually is. I'm currently in the second world and thoroughly enjoying it.

I'm more or less done with my RE series replay, so I'll try to replay as much KH as possible before 3,order be damned. If I have time after this, I'll be replaying BBS I think.

I've missed this series.
This one of the best posts in this thread

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the opinions of this game in the KH community are so hyperbolic it hurts... it is great, it has its strong and weak parts sure, but in the end it is a fun game, far from the trash people claim it to be.
This one of the best posts in this thread

I knew the game was kind of looked down upon, but I always thought it was almost exclusively because of all the time travel stuff it brought to the series, not the actual game itself!

True enough, I'm still early on in the game, but I'll come in here every once in a while and we'll see if my opinion holds until the end.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
Hi!

Hey, hi, sorry, excuse me, why the fuck wasn't I told that KH DDD was this good?! I'm so pleasantly surprised with this game.

Flowmotion is really fun (it could maaaybe control a bit better) and I thought the drop and Pokemon stuff would be worse than it actually is. I'm currently in the second world and thoroughly enjoying it.

I'm more or less done with my RE series replay, so I'll try to replay as much KH as possible before 3,order be damned. If I have time after this, I'll be replaying BBS I think.

I've missed this series.
It's certainly with its flaws but as a whole it's a pretty enjoyable game and quite a refreshing break from a couple of years of rehashes of old worlds after KH2 (putting aside BBS)

Also I find it pretty neat that Dream Drop Distance had very similar concepts to Pokemon-Amie but was released the year before Pokemon X/Y cameout.

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
I'm not keeping up with Days Gone threads but I imagine people are giving it a hard time. Kingdom Hearts is also getting a lot of synical posts. Just read a user predicting a 6 meta for the game.
Saw someone claim that everything about KHIII looks fanmade. And a couple takes saying 40 hours is considered having no content. Lot of cringey hot takes circulating. They're intensifying and I'm finding that main thread posts are irritating me quicker than before.

Last edited:

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
no one made countdown thread?
I think this with every game release I'm excited for, but I feel like there's an ambundence of KH threads and it just invites losers who want to trash the series in to make drive by posts.

As if that wasn't bad enough, people who take what the leaker said weeks ago as fact despite that being dispelled by actual released media or further released information.

They lie and it makes other members nervous and it lowers the perception of KH3 despite it not being true. It's awful and I really feel sorry for the Osaka team to have the last 6 years worth of work being trashed by one single person posting incorrect information.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I think this with every game release I'm excited for, but I feel like there's an ambundence of KH threads and it just invites losers who want to trash the series in to make drive by posts.

As if that wasn't bad enough, people who take what the leaker said weeks ago as fact despite that being dispelled by actual released media or further released information.

They lie and it makes other members nervous and it lowers the perception of KH3 despite it not being true. It's awful and I really feel sorry for the Osaka team to have the last 6 years worth of work being trashed by one single person posting incorrect information.
I understand the situation. But I do feel the official daily countdown deserves it's own thread especially when Nomura is teasing some sort of info every day.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I understand the situation. But I do feel the official daily countdown deserves it's own thread especially when Nomura is teasing some sort of info every day.
I'm not against a countdown thread, but be prepared for a lot of driveby posts, even by KH fans.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, either you act like a fan out of their mind defending the series because randoms are doing that or you pretend to make fun of it because others are doing that. There's just no winning at being a fan of KH, being excited for the next game and realising that what most people are saying is complete nonsense.

I hate it and it's been the cause of several headaches of mine this last month.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not against a countdown thread, but be prepared for a lot of driveby posts, even by KH fans.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, either you act like a fan out of their mind defending the series because randoms are doing that or you pretend to make fun of it because others are doing that. There's just no winning at being a fan of KH, being excited for the next game and realising that what most people are saying is complete nonsense.

I hate it and it's been the cause of several headaches of mine this last month.
yeah I try to ignore most of the post. Even the post launch thread i don't go in anymore since I am expecting bunch of shit stuff there.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
yeah I try to ignore most of the post. Even the post launch thread i don't go in anymore since I am expecting bunch of shit stuff there.
I went to bed so defeated last night (5am) because of that thread. Nothing against you for making that thread, you had every right to share that information. It was all because of people thinking they weren't getting the ending on disc despite it being confirmed that the ending was on disc and it's just the secret ending and eplilogue that needs downloaded etc. And the people who thought there was nothing in the game except story itself, which we know isn't true due to interviews and trailers.

It's been so hard being someone with Aspergers who's main point of interest is Kingdom Hearts because people are so misinformed by everything and they ignore the correct information.

For those who don't know, people like me with Aspergers often have certain things that they cling to and know a lot about through research or remembering information. Mine is mainly TV and I've turned that into my career, but for video games Kingdom Hearts has been my addiction since 2004.

It just hurts that ResetEra, which people take pride in believing they are elite above other gamers, trash things because they don't understand or have the wrong information. This leaves people like me in actual pain because they don't accept that they've been fed the wrong info and they are spreading the wrong info / making those judgements.

I hope it isn't crossing a boundary, since it's been shown in teasers and trailers, to say KH3 has a lot of content. Fans should not be disappointed by this game.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Saw someone claim that everything about KHIII looks fanmade. Lot of cringey hot takes circulating. They're intensifying and I'm finding that main thread posts are irritating me quicker than before.
Well if you think all square employees are also disney fans then "fan made" isn't a bad thing to say at all 🤔

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Well if you think all square employees are also disney fans then "fan made" isn't a bad thing to say at all 🤔
It's actually hilarious when people say that because corporations like IGN and Game.co have used fan made renders for their graphics.

The actual KH games are so well made but are constantly brought down by IGN and people wanting to start drama.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
It's actually hilarious when people say that because corporations like IGN and Game.co have used fan made renders for their graphics.

The actual KH games are so well made but are constantly brought down by IGN and people wanting to start drama.

Well KH3 is the first game in the series that doesn't look absolutely gorgeous and like it's taking advantage of the hardware. Some areas and models leave a lot to be desired. It's 2019. Yen Sid's room is worse than fan-made.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well KH3 is the first game in the series that doesn't look absolutely gorgeous and like it's taking advantage of the hardware. Some areas and models leave a lot to be desired. It's 2019. Yen Sid's room is worse than fan-made.

Kingdom Hearts III looks absolutely gorgeous, I have no Idea what you're talking about.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how someone could look at how it was made in January 2017 and compare it to now and come to this conclusion.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well KH3 is the first game in the series that doesn't look absolutely gorgeous.

First I thought you made a mistake writing that, then I read the rest of the sentence.

giphy.webp

KH 3 looks amazing, I don't even understand how someone can say that with a straight face.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how anyone can look at this and think "yeah, this is a gorgeous game" in 2019. We have Red Dead, God of War, Horizon etc etc. You can like it, but it's not up to par.

qf1eqfucxl421.png

DuZOwBHUcAAH66k.jpg

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how anyone can look at this and think "yeah, this is a gorgeous game" in 2019. We have Red Dead, God of War, Horizon etc etc. You can like it, but it's not up to par.

qf1eqfucxl421.png

DuZOwBHUcAAH66k.jpg
You're right. I don't see how anyone could look at this and think it's under Red Dead Redemption, God of War, or Horizon since this isn't trying to copy those realistic graphic games. It looks better :P

But it certainly looks better now compared to that 2017 graphic you posted.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine judge the whole game's graphics Power thanks to a small cutscene only room.

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
I don't know if saying KHIII is any better or worse than GoW, RDR2, or Horizon is really fair considering they're trying to do very different things with massively different budgets. Might as well say something like Celeste is a bad game because it doesn't use the full graphical power of modern consoles. Also a single room was just compared to three open world games which is even more unfair.

If we had to go the "realistic" route, it still does a great job
9.png

kingdom-hearts-3-pirates-characters.jpg

And it absolutely recreates the styles of each and every world visited gorgeously

maxresdefault.jpg

Kingdom-Hearts-III-Tangled-Gamers-Heroes-900x506.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Komii

Oct 26, 2017

qf1eqfucxl421.png

DuZOwBHUcAAH66k.jpg
You really want hyperealistic donald and goofy walking around? It'll be more nightmare inducing than CG sonic

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
You're right. I don't see how anyone could look at this and think it's under Red Dead Redemption, God of War, or Horizon since this isn't trying to copy those realistic graphic games. It looks better :P

But it certainly looks better now compared to that 2017 graphic you posted.

It has nothing to do with realism. KH2 is one of the most beautiful games on the PS2. BBS was the same, 3D was the same. You looked at those games and you said "wow, they did all this on the psp???"

And they did all that by not chasing realism like other games of their time did. There is a reason why KH3 is 30-60fps and 2 was 30. There was room for visual improvement that they chose to sacrifice for a higher frame-rate on the PS4.

Lots of people outside the community have the exact same criticism but like usual, the KH community doesn't critique the franchise.

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
KH Community doesn't agree with me so that must mean they can't critique the franchise.

You entire argument so far has been substantiated by three pictures of a single room. Two of the pictures showing the difference between an earlier point in development to a more recent one. Also we point out realism because all your examples aim to do that. You didn't name anything with a well executed unique graphical style. I have my potential gripes with KHIII but this isn't one of them.

Last edited:

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Lots of people outside the community have the exact same criticism but like usual, the KH community doesn't critique the franchise.

Every.Single.Time.
giphy.webp

Dude whatever, if you don't like the way it looks is fine, but comparing it to RDR2 is disingenuous at best. KH 3 is going for completely different things with it's visuals. The game has been directly compared to the movies it's based on, and praised by their animators on how good it looks compared to them.

But oh well, it doesn't look as good as RDR2, so it's visuals are bad.

7th_heaven

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
It has nothing to do with realism. KH2 is one of the most beautiful games on the PS2. BBS was the same, 3D was the same. You looked at those games and you said "wow, they did all this on the psp???"

And they did all that by not chasing realism like other games of their time did. There is a reason why KH3 is 30-60fps and 2 was 30. There was room for visual improvement that they chose to sacrifice for a higher frame-rate on the PS4.

Hmm No KH2 is not best graphic game on ps2. It's FF12
Look like you cannot escape KH Ps2 era graphic nostalgia

Last edited:

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if saying KHIII is any better or worse than GoW, RDR2, or Horizon is really fair considering they're trying to do very different things with massively different budgets. Might as well say something like Celeste is a bad game because it doesn't use the full graphical power of modern consoles. Also a single room was just compared to three open world games which is even more unfair.

If we had to go the "realistic" route, it still does a great job
9.png

kingdom-hearts-3-pirates-characters.jpg

And it absolutely recreates the styles of each and every world visited gorgeously

maxresdefault.jpg

Kingdom-Hearts-III-Tangled-Gamers-Heroes-900x506.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
Yup. This looks fantastic for what they were going for. The comparisons people have of clips from the game to the actual movies are insane.

uvh21ivxjv421.jpg

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
KH Community doesn't agree with me so that must mean they can't critique the franchise.

No, the KH community is hyped and doesn't critique the franchise in general. This has been going on for years. With the combat, with the fragmentation, with the less than stellar graphics in 0.2 and now KH3. People want a game that concludes the story and is prettier than the older entries and that's the end of it for them. Being prettier than the older entries doesn't make it as pretty or as impressive technically as other games this gen though. IMO, at least part of that is because it's not trying to. They made the decision, for whatever reason, that they game should use a big part of the resources to aim for 60fps. I am also not so sure that they are fully proficient in working with UE4. That's what I am objecting to.

As far the community goes, sorry, but I am not impressed with how "critical" or fair most of the fans are.

It's the same community that saw no problem with how much fragmented the series has become by 2012 (people were really saying that it was not that hard to get into the series and all you had to do was buy a PS2, DS, 3DS etc) when I was suggesting they should fix that shit ASAP [which they absolutely did], the same community that was arguing that KH3 should have been made for the Wii U and PS3 and that 3D was on "console that is still being sold and doesn't need to be remastered" etc etc.

It was extremely frustrating saying the exact same thing I am saying now about Aqua and Terra in 2016 where (I think it was the TGS demo) we saw them in-game and I (and others) commented that they looked awful and plastic-y. People were shocked; "what are you talking about, she looks phenomenal, she has never looked this good" etc. Fast forward when the game released and Aqua and Terra were improved upon and everyone was like "Look how much they have improved Aqua, she looks so great now!!". And it's the same thing, over and over again.

You entire argument so far has been substantiated by three pictures of a single room. Two of the pictures showing the difference between an earlier point in development to a more recent one. Also we point out realism because all your examples aim to do that. You didn't name anything with a well executed unique graphical style. I have my potential gripes with KHIII but this isn't one of them.

Fair enough about the realism comparison, but I thought it obvious that I was not expecting Sora to look like Kratos etc. Again, I am not talking about realism, I am talking about the quality of the graphics and how I think it is subpar in some instances, like the Yen Sid room, and some aspects of the models, Donald (still looks like white plastic), the game looking "Unreal Engine-y" in places etc etc.

And again, I expect when KH4 or whatever comes along and the team has familiarised themselves with unreal (4 or 5), the quality will be much more in par with how games look like then.

EDIT: The Frozen comparison is indeed amazing, no question about it.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Here we go! Forgive me for this long ass post. :)

1) What the fuck is going on in the very first cutscene? Xehanort (Terra-nort) and Braig.
  • a) What point in time is this scene taking place in?
  • b) Why is Terra-nort able to summon Master Xehanort's Keyblade? Wasn't locking away MX's Keyblade Terra's single victory against the old geezer?
2) Sora and Riku use the Destiny Islands of the past to enter the "Realm of Sleep/the dreams of the worlds." What happens to their real, physical bodies once they unlock that first keyhole at the bottom of the sea and enter the "RoS/dreams?"

3) What's the explanation for the Drop mechanic? Is Dream Sora randomly falling asleep, while already being physically asleep? Oh god! Then we play as Riku while Dream Sora is snoozing? Obviously the simple answer is, it's just a game mechanic. Just wondering if I missed something.

4) Young Xehanort was visited by a time traveling "Billy Zane Brown Robe." This brown robed fucker told YX all about "the plan." How the fuck does Terra-nort's Heartless know anything, about anything? Terra-nort could barely remember his own fucking name. The potato sack's knowledge is (should be?) limited to the events post-BBS. Or did he just go back in time to tell YX to follow his heart (and be real bad), then give him the time travel jutsu? Everything else sort of falls into place. YX visits all of his future selves and fills them in, or the plan is "etched" into YX's heart, which means it's in all of their hearts... yada, yada. But that initial visit by Billy, no... just, no!

5) Why did Master Xehanort show up at the end?
  • a) Terra-nort's Heartless and Nobody were destroyed. So, Terra-nort should be back. Where is "my name's not Terra-nort, it's Ansem?"
  • b) MX vanished with all the time travelers. Was he also time traveling? But YX said they were all waiting for his most future self, then MX showed up. WTF!

I've read over some really helpful reddit posts, but there's no end to the questions, lol. I think I liked the game, but the ending left me so dissatisfied and mystified. Symphony of Sorcery and TWTNW are genuinely magical and, imo, series highs. For me, it's the first time one of these portable games has delivered a worthwhile experience. Perfection! Even the stupid pets are okay, once you throw water barrels at 'em. I might just give the game another go on Crit.

KINGDOM HEARTS COMMUNITY! Fill me... with the power of answers.

Please pick this.
IIRC Terranort faked the amnesia.

I think Terranort and MX coexist because it's a bit of a Sora <-> Roxas situation

Lol. Kingdom Hearts III looks beautiful. You posting screens from a game that isn't even KHIII and screens that are from a KHII location that is a simple room that is not indicative of the quality of graphics on average is just dumb.

Like, KHIII manages to look about as close to Pixar & modern Disney movies as current gen consoles can achieve. You'd have to be blind to claim KHIII isn't pushing the hardware and that it isn't a beautiful game.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
I guess I was comparing to kh1 which is a downright lethargic game to control. It felt like kh2 had better movement within combat and get similar to that in ddd and then add in action command deck and flowmotion

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
KH3 definitely takes more from DDD and BBS than KH2. I'd say that the developers have remained to their design philosophy, but taken notes from KH1 and 2.

Also lol at comparing KH3 to RDR2. That game was in development for 7 years with a staff over the 1000's, right? The Osaka team is just a few hundred if I'm correct. KH3 looks fine, nothing out of this world but it stays truthful to the movies in terms of art-style.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'd argue 3 looks like it takes more from DDD and Bbs anyway....
Don't hurt me I'm fragile
I can see this and I think most would agree with this as well. It's just comparing 2 to DDD that I don't see whatsoever.

I guess I was comparing to kh1 which is a downright lethargic game to control. It felt like kh2 had better movement within combat and get similar to that in ddd and then add in action command deck and flowmotion
I mean pretty much ALL KH games (except ReCoM) after one fixed the movement thing. The Command deck itself isn't like anything in 2, and flowmotion was introduced in DDD so 2 had nothing like that either. The combo system and core combat in DDD was definitely nothing like 2.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Of all the things I've seen people say about KH3, it supposedly not being graphically impressive has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've heard. It's up there with "KH3 was rushed."

You could critique stuff like world choice, combat mechanics, story direction, and the general game feel, but the game is obviously beautiful to look at. It's laughable to claim otherwise.

Oct 25, 2017
Not out the realm of possibility. Ppl claimed many third parties to be underwhelming as well as first parties . I think ppl give too much energy to one persons opinion

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
KH3 definitely takes more from DDD and BBS than KH2. I'd say that the developers have remained to their design philosophy, but taken notes from KH1 and 2.

Also lol at comparing KH3 to RDR2. That game was in development for 7 years with a staff over the 1000's, right? The Osaka team is just a few hundred if I'm correct. KH3 looks fine, nothing out of this world but it stays truthful to the movies in terms of art-style.

How could anyone think this?

Even just off of 0.2 this sounds as crazy as that post about kh3 being the fiest "not absolutely gorgeous KH game"

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
How could anyone think this?

Even just off of 0.2 this sounds as crazy as that post about kh3 being the fiest "not absolutely gorgeous KH game"
It is though? It's just that they mix and improve upon the mechanics from DDD and BBS with KH2 styled gameplay with the command menu. It's like DDD heavily influenced by KH2. I mean I love what I've seen thus far so it's no negative from me.