• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
Why? Every single game nowadays has day one patches.

Yeah sure they do but they are usually still complete and playable without , Ive completed Spider-Man , god of war and red dead without a single patch

The point is it's nice to have a complete experience on disc, regardless this particular case is being blown waaaay out of proportion because it's just a small ending to advertise another title in the future not the actual "ending"

I'm sure there's going to be a goty or complete edition in a year or so as per usual square, maybe even a next gen port complete , who knows

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping the secret ending requirements on normal aren't TOO outrageous. Will probably buy the guide for this game like I did with the others.

edit: welp just looked on Amazon, doesn't look like they have a guide

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You know what's the difference between watching KH II and DDD ending without the epilogue and with the epilogue? Yeah, none.

The KH2 epilogue gives you a warm conversation between Sora and Riku reminiscing about their journey the past three games and a tease at the potential future

The 3D epilogue gives you Sora giving a goodbye to the Dream Eaters who helped him on his adventure

The epilogues do matter for the characters and story.

Playing Kingdom Hearts 3 in 15 years on a fresh install with no internet access will be just like playing 1 or 2 based on the original PS2 versions. It will get you everything that was on the disc at launch, but you'll be missing on the extra story content and balance fixes.
The original PS2 versions came with their epilogues. The original North American KH1 came with a secret ending. The original KH2 came with a secret ending.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The KH2 epilogue gives you a warm conversation between Sora and Riku reminiscing about their journey the past three games and a tease at the potential future

The 3D epilogue gives you Sora giving a goodbye to the Dream Eaters who helped him on his adventure

The epilogues do matter for the characters and story.

They still don't make a single difference for the ending, you didn't counter what I said. The epilogue scenes are just teasers for the next games, it was like that in KH I, CoM, II and DDD. The only one where this isn't true is the Birth by Sleep.

7th_heaven

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
This game is fine. Somuch content when compare to Kh1 & 2 origin. Someone in leak thread expect to much so they disappoint

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
They still don't make a single difference for the ending, you didn't counter what I said. The epilogue scenes are just teasers for the next games, it was like that in KH I, CoM, II and DDD. The only one where this isn't true is the Birth by Sleep.
I learnt early on that "Re:connect Kingdom Hearts" is just Nomura's way of saying "next time on / to be continued" and it made stomaching those scenes so much more easier.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Honestly, I may end up buying the game if this is a solid enough explanation of the overall story. I want to play KH3 but don't want to play all the games leading up to it.

It's worth playing the games imo

I finished kh1 5 times (3 times on ps2, once on PS3 and once in ps4)

I finished kh chain of memories (gba) twice , last time was a month ago

I finished kh re chain of memories 3 times (ps2, PS3 and PS4)

I finished kh 358/2 days (ds) once but will be starting a new playthrough soon

I finished kh 2 4 times (3 times on ps2 and once on ps3) - gonna play ps4 ver soon

I finished kingdom hearts bbs twice ( psp and PS3) - gonna play it again on PS4 soon

I finished kh re:coded once on ds but will play it again soon

I finished kh3d on 3DS and will be playing it on PS4 soon

It's a great experience well worth it especially for kh1, kh2, bbs and com - you won't understand the impact of the story of kh3 if you just read a summary of the lore of the older games

Komali

Sep 25, 2018
This is Kingdom Hearts. Content is always added later. This is like one of the main characteristics of this series since Day 1.

Zeroneo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sure they do but they are usually still complete and playable without , Ive completed Spider-Man , god of war and red dead without a single patch

The point is it's nice to have a complete experience on disc, regardless this particular case is being blown waaaay out of proportion because it's just a small ending to advertise another title in the future not the actual "ending"

I'm sure there's going to be a goty or complete edition in a year or so as per usual square, maybe even a next gen port complete , who knows
This is the same thing. The secret ending is a trailer for the next game. The game's regular ending is on disc

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They don't have to make a difference for the ending, they're meant to close the book on the journey and give you a hope that these characters will have more adventures. That's what an epilogue is supposed to do. Sora, Donald, and Goofy running across a country side and Sora smiling at the camera, Sora and Riku being at peace and Kairi bringing a message from the King, Sora being able to see that the Dream Eaters are okay. Like these aren't actual game teases at all.

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly, I may end up buying the game if this is a solid enough explanation of the overall story. I want to play KH3 but don't want to play all the games leading up to it.

I think KH1 and 2 are great games that are worth playing, but if you want to skip them you can. The story is ridiculously stupid and the characters have no real depth but it's kind of entertaining anyways. It's not something to really take seriously tbh

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Wonder what the requirements will be for the secret ending, and if playing on higher difficulty will be completely necessary, or if it'll be doable on a lower difficulty like BBS.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They don't have to make a difference for the ending, they're meant to close the book on the journey and give you a hope that these characters will have more adventures. That's what an epilogue is supposed to do. Sora, Donald, and Goofy running across a country side and Sora smiling at the camera, Sora and Riku being at peace and Kairi bringing a message from the King, Sora being able to see that the Dream Eaters are okay. Like these aren't actual game teases at all.

In all these games the books were firmly closed when the credits roled. Then you get a cutscene to tease a new book coming.

Whatislove

Jan 2, 2019
Wonder what the requirements will be for the secret ending, and if playing on higher difficulty will be completely necessary, or if it'll be doable on a lower difficulty like BBS.
They've always been doable on all difficulties except for easy, with reduced requirements the harder difficulty you play on. If you're playing on normal, expect it to require 100% completion.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
In all these games the books were firmly closed when the credits roled. Then you get a cutscene to tease a new book coming.
If an epilogue exists for a story, then the book isn't closed before the credits. These aren't teasing new books. That is what the secret ending is for.

Like what is even being teased with Sora going back to Traverse Town and seeing Meow Wow and the gang? It's nonsense.

ImTheQueen

Jan 10, 2019
If an epilogue exists for a story, then the book isn't closed before the credits. These aren't teasing new books. That is what the secret ending is for.

Like what is even being teased with Sora going back to Traverse Town and seeing Meow Wow and the gang? It's nonsense.

That he maintains contact with the Dream Eaters, so much so he can use them as a summon in KH3.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So if I were to play this in 15 years or whatever without HDD data, I wouldn't have the ending on the disc and the download server may not exist. that's not ok to me.

I don't mind bugfixes and extras being DLC, but the ending of the game being that way is kinda a nono to me

I think the media should really ask the big 3 what are their legacy plans are when it comes to preserving patches and digital/DLC content, given how important patches are for games these days. Allowing us to download patches to save them is also something they should consider.

But to be honest in 15 years, we will probably be playing this game, remastered on a PS6 or via streaming.
The GOTY disc also doesn't guarantee that it'll be a reprint. Sometimes they're the 1.0 version plus codes for DLCs.

I haven't played a KH game since the PS2.

You'll probably be super lost... You should at least watch the cutscenes for BBS and DDD. I'm currently trying to play the more important games to catch up before I play 3. BBS is basically Kingdom Hearts 0 and DDD is what leads to KH3.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
So, can they tell us how to get the secret ending. I always get it myself even though I could just watch it on YouTube.

darkNemisiScloud

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Since its releasing in japan first I don't think alot of online retailers will hold back sending the game early, I know shopto and simplygames will send the game out on the 25th in the UK for sure, I always get games that are out on Tuesdays 4 days early. Doubt will finish it by then so will give me time to unlock the secret ending

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Wait so....looking at the first post the finished game doesnt even have an ending and they have to patch it into the game on release day? What?

Are they trying to have the Internet avoid spoilers or something?

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Wait so....looking at the first post the finished game doesnt even have an ending and they have to patch it into the game on release day? What?

Are they trying to have the Internet avoid spoilers or something?
There is an ending. It doesn't have an epilogue (usually a story tease for a future game or concept) or a secret ending (random shit that people love ala Deep Dive) on the disc.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
What are the unlock conditions? I usually go with hardest mode because that's it, but they made Critical a bloody unlockable!

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Memory Archive is in the patch too...??? Why? Unless even that has a summary for KH3? Lol
I doubt it's for any spoilery reason, they probably just left it till last and didn't make them in time for the launch version.

Edit:
The secret ending requirements can pretty much be guessed from looking at the previous games:
- Beginner: Not possible
- Normal: 100% the game, i.e. do and find literally everything
- Proud: Finish the story, beat all optional bosses
- Critical: Finish the story

So, depending on which difficulty we pick, we have until the 31st to satisfy all of the conditions. Not so bad.

Last edited:

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Almost positive future reprints of the game will have the epilogue and secret movie on the disc itself, so the snarkiness around people without internet not getting a full experience eventually isn't worth it.