• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Disney World do you want to see revealed next?

• Frozen

Votes: 63 28.6%
  • Treasure Planet

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • Star Wars

Votes: 46 20.9%
  • National Treasure

Votes: 35 15.9%

• Total voters

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
BEz5w9p.png

It's been nearly 5 years since the game's announcement but the wait for Kingdom Hearts III is nearly over. Today Square-Enix is holding a big preview event for the game #KH3Premiere where people from the press and YouTubers/Streamers get to go hands on with the game. The embargo for information and impressions ends at 6am PT so expect write-ups from traditional press to go up then followed by plenty of videos and impressions from smaller outlets and YouTubers. There might even be a new trailer to go along with this big blowout too, who knows!

This will serve a big discussion thread for all the coverage and I'll be making sure to update the OP regularly with coverage as more of it appears!

Gameplay Footage
(no commentary)

YOUTUBER ANALYSIS

For those looking for thoughts on the game from the fans/youtubers look no further. Plenty of these videos are filled to the brim with a good analysis of the demo with some criticisms. A must-watch! I'll be only embedding one (Soraalam1) due to ERA's limit to 2 embeds per post.

Bizkit047
SkywardWing
HMK
Maximilian

KeybladeSarah

PRESS PREVIEWS

IGN - Jonathon Dornbush

IGN Preview said:
If the extended demo I played on both PS4 and Xbox One ahead of E3 is any indication, Kingdom Hearts 3 looks to be a true evolution of the franchise, recapturing that magic by taking all those various offshoots and experiments and melding them into a cohesive, exciting whole.

Andy's room and the exterior of his house form a large, open area with a number of treasure chests tucked away and enough space to let combat scenarios breathe. Scaling the wall of Andy's room, flipping out the window onto his roof, and sky diving onto the pavement offers a satisfying, continuous experience that feels so much less choppy than the sectioned-off locations of previous Kingdom Hearts entries.

It's easy to miss much of Galaxy Toys by just following the narrative path. (And if you're looking for deep story revelations, unfortunately the demo provided very little on that front. One of Xehanort's forms invading the Toy Story world speaks of splitting this world in two to better understand Hearts, but beyond that, little about Sora's journey is revealed.) But exploring the fringes of the world rewarded me with additional items, enemies to fight, and cool details, like a "Dissidia" toy line full of Final Fantasy summons.

Eurogamer - Aoife Wilson

Eurogamer Preview said:
Kingdom Hearts 3's combat is similar to previous main entries, but it's just... more. It's full-on spectacle all the time, with magic, links, attractions and now multiple keyblade transformations to utilise, meaning it's very rarely a case of just mashing X to attack. The biggest change to combat is the keyblade transformations - this was a feature in birth by sleep, where it was something you were able to do if you mastered the usage of a keyblade, and according to Nomura, since Sora has now become more skilled, he's able to use that feature in Kingdom Hearts 3. Different keyblade transformations have different properties - for example the Toy Story-themed keyblade transforms into a hammer, which hits hard, while the Tangled Keyblade transforms into a magical staff which casts spells. This introduces new strategy to combat, especially since you can switch between keyblades while you're battling, and keep the current level of transformation. The Toy Story blade evolves from a hammer into a drill, and the drill allows you to evade enemies by digging holes in the ground and going around them. The Monsters Inc. keyblade evolves into Agile Claws and then into a Twin Yoyo, so it's fun for moving fast, keeping your distance and dishing out heavy DPS. Mostly though it's just fun to cycle through the different weapons, creating new combos and trying out the skills available at each level. Between those, Attractions and Links, or summons, it's rare you'll ever not have a special ability available for deployment at any time during longer battles, which definitely helps keep things interesting. The skills and finishers all look very flashy too - our favourite was the Tangled-themed keyblade, which could create a tower attack as a finisher.

So, what did we think, given that we were some of the first people in the world to play Kingdom Hearts 3? We were impressed - it certainly still has the heart that the series is so loved for even after all these years, and the combat, which was never really Kingdom Hearts' strongest suit, is much improved. We're a little concerned the story is going to continue the tradition of being a whole load of convoluted nonsense about interchangeable men in black hoods, but really, the interactions between heroes old and new is and has always been the real draw - and if Toy Box is anything to go by, the introduction of Pixar settings and characters is going to make those interactions even more fun and knowing. We especially enjoyed the borderline meta chat between Hamm and Rex about their new 'famous video game character' friends, and the knowing nods crammed into the toy store level (there was a shop with a Dissidia Final Fantasy display and a game stop selling such well-known titles as Wall Street Ninja 2 and Herd of Zombies) really carries on the series' sense of fun and adventure. We're excited to see more, in other words.

Gamespot - Alessandro Fillari

Gamespot Preview said:
Much like the previous games, Kingdom Hearts III is still a celebration of all things Disney. This also marks the first time that Pixar-themed worlds will be in the game, which includes Monsters Inc. and Toy Story. In the demo, we got to play through portions of the early worlds you'll explore, which recontextualizes the iconic locales of Disney films to fit the space of an action-RPG. As the first Kingdom Hearts game on modern consoles, the next game takes advantage of the new hardware, featuring some impressive visuals. Playing on Xbox One X, performance was mostly solid, save for some dropped frames during some of the hectic combat encounters.

Polygon - Michael McWhertor

Polygon Preview said:
The game's most grandiose attacks come in the form of Links, Kingdom Hearts 3's brand of summons. Fans are likely aware of the summon that brings Ariel from The Little Mermaid into the game for a gushing, fountain-like attack, but Disney's Wreck-It Ralph will also appear as a Link. Sora can summon Ralph, who can then place explosive blocks on the battlefield and, naturally, wreck 'em.

Kotaku - Chris Kohler
Kotaku Preview said:
True to this goal, the toys on display in Kingdom Hearts III's idealized toy store are a mix of American and Japanese playthings, from giant robots to kaiju monsters (that's what the game's text even calls them in English) to Barbie-like dolls. Look hard enough and you'll even find a shelf full of Dissidia Final Fantasy NT toys, with statues of famous Final Fantasy summon monsters. In this way, the setting of the toy store isn't just a good place to have a Toy Story vignette—it's also a symbol of Kingdom Hearts itself, a mashup of two cultures, the only game series that could pull off a blend of Steamboat Willie and Utada Hikaru.

GIFS

GroundedYearlyColt.gif

DefiantUnhealthyCrab.gif

5uInYti.gif

m4miBCD.gif

Last edited:

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Really want to see Bizkit's opinion on the combat. I share the same opinion that KH2FM is my favorite combat of the series and the trailers for 3 have mostly shown the flashy summons and disney ride moves.

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
I hope the press had an overall positive experience. It'd be really nice to feel confident based on what they've played.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
ah man the hype is getting to me now, i always fall apart at the very end of these things

20 mins left

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I only ask for the return of French dub, come on it's KH3! Then end of Xehanort's saga!
Don't disappoint Square Enix!

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Nearly 5 years! I'm still kind of surprised it hasn't been longer. Really interested and those leaked pics from the event got me excited about the game.