• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
So apparently Square Enix sent the review code only to selected outlets and not to all the press worldwide.

Metro.co.uk
KsHtyQ0.png

VG247.com

Ku5439M.png

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The rumor is that they were afraid of leaks so they tightened the list of who got copies

Of course leaks happened anyways because they always do and this is a silly practice

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the same happen with FFXV and it still ended up with a good amount of reviews when the embargo dropped?

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
What the hell?

This is a super bizarre decision assuming it's intentional. People have had their hands on the game for like a month, any damage reviews could do has been done.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Waste of effort SE considering the whole story has leaked regardless. You are just stifling the reception of the game this way and making things more difficult for the consumer.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
I suspect it was to avoid spoilers but the leaks ended up happening anyway. (nomura commented on the leaks today and seemed to want to delay disk releases in the future to prevent it, that along with the epilogue and secret ending not being on the disk and being supplied by updates in a few days)

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Didn't the same happen with FFXV and it still ended up with a good amount of reviews when the embargo dropped?

And the game reviewed well. This is clearly more SE being overly protective and wanting to minimize spoilers potentially leaking or being data-mined as opposed to the game being a train wreck that will get shredded by reviewers. I imagine like with RDR2 most major outlets will have that one guy/gal who's a kh fanatic and won't be lost when the story references spin offs.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Delay leaks of it being bad?

I mean FFXV didn't end up well for them either after such a long wait

FFXV scored really well with an 81 MC. It had 8s, 9s, and 10s across the board. The game broke even on day one and made all their profit back immediately. The royal edition, which is how the game should have launched in the first place, was scored even better with an 85 MC. It's now at 8+ million and is the second best selling FF of all time.

FFXV was a major success for them. I think KH3 will be similiar, but based on the leaks it's not a perfect game.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
And the game reviewed well. This is clearly more SE being overly protective and wanting to minimize spoilers potentially leaking or being data-mined as opposed to the game being a train wreck that will get shredded by reviewers. I imagine like with RDR2 most major outlets will have that one guy/gal who's a kh fanatic and won't be lost when the story references spin offs.

I really don't think they should be afraid of reviewers but early copies which leaked the whole game already from what people are saying.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Nomura was not very happy with all the leaks, it is a shame that they are holding them back this far they just don't trust much outlets sadly i guess

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm willing to bet that this is due to wanting to prevent leaks. The secret ending and epilogue are a day one patch and you have Nomura talking about delaying disk releases in the future cause of how much he hates leaka. And going by the reception of those who've played/seen the full game, we know the game isn't a complete trainwreck or anything.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I mean I know pre-release people spoiled the endings of some games recently because they got review copies. So I can believe it was to stop leaks.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
It's pretty much in line with XIII, and higher than XIII-2. That's where modern FF is at.

Technically, it scored 85 MC as that's what the royal edition got and that's how the game should have been launched at from the beginning. That puts it higher than all the XIII games. 85-86 seems to be the median for SE games this gen. DQ was similiar too.

dimasok

Banned
Sep 9, 2018
FFXV scored really well with an 81 MC. It had 8s, 9s, and 10s across the board. The game broke even on day one and made all their profit back immediately. The royal edition, which is how the game should have launched in the first place, was scored even better with an 85 MC. It's now at 8+ million and is the second best selling FF of all time.

FFXV was a major success for them. I think KH3 will be similiar, but based on the leaks it's not a perfect game.
Didnt stop it from being utter crap. I finished it and felt it was the worst game ever made.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Hot take FFXV was good.

KH3 seems great going by leaks. Which is what Square wanted to prevent lol.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
That's not a great score for a Final Fantasy game. Final Fantasy has higher expectations.

It still wasn't a critical bomb, and while were at it

https://www.metacritic.com/feature/how-does-final-fantasy-13-compare

Article is old but you get the point, FF has so many games between mainline, sequels, remakes, and spinoffs that scores range from mid 90's to mid 50's. This narrative that "FF has higher expectations" is nonsense unless you kee moving goal posts.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The game leaked back during Christmas, and all of the story stuff this past week. If they wanted to stop leaks, limiting reviews was not the best way to go about it. They would have done better to work with press to push the narrative away from the leaks by flooding social media with previews by all sorts of outlets to get the hype away from leaks and onto the release.

But what do I know. I just have a degree in behavioral psychology that focuses on influence and persuasion based on media trends.

I know a good handful of people who did not get review copies, and I feel really bad for everybody. Why limit the positive press at launch? It's abolitely baffling to me.

dimasok

Banned
Sep 9, 2018
The game leaked back during Christmas, and all of the story stuff this past week. If they wanted to stop leaks, limiting reviews was not the best way to go about it. They would have done better to work with press to push the narrative away from the leaks by flooding social media with previews by all sorts of outlets to get the hype away from leaks and onto the release.

But what do I know. I just have a degree in behavioral psychology that focuses on influence and persuasion based on media trends.

I know a good handful of people who did not get review copies, and I feel really bad for everybody. Why limit the positive press at launch? It's abolitely baffling to me.

Same. I feel FFXV situation was a giant sigh of relief for SE as they feared the worst. Perhaps they are aiming for the same here

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was planning on buying KH3 if the reviews were stellar but this has me slightly worried

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

I wonder if with how cookies and "if you watched x you'll like y" in modern internet would lead to more spoiler videos showing up on people's time lines and suggested boxes.

I am concerned about the quality of the game and dont really care how it reviews or sells (its the last entry anyways)

Then why are you in a thread about reviewers not getting copies in time for the review embargo?

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would honestly be surprised if this game doesn't review well, and I'm far from being a fan of KH's storytelling.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Every game is only sent early to selected review outlets.

But this one was limited even more so than your average release. Not even the mainstay fansites for this series or smaller but still popular outlets got review copies. This is not the norm, especially when these are people who have gotten review copies in the past for previous KH game and SE games in general.

SE likes to use these sites for the press but doesn't want to actually give them the one tool they need to continue doing this. It's hilarious.

dimasok

Banned
Sep 9, 2018
I wonder if with how cookies and "if you watched x you'll like y" in modern internet would lead to more spoiler videos showing up on people's time lines and suggested boxes.

Then why are you in a thread about reviewers not getting copies in time for the review embargo?

Because it shows lack of confidence in the game. However it reviews, SE could be thinking its as bad as FFXV so they locked it tight.