• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Terra is the worst part of BBS
It gets significantly better when you play with the other characters who are directly affected by Terra's idiocy.

Like night and day

So, yeah, I wanted to thank you. I've read that you have to finish character stories on separate save files, so I just went through Ventus (which was an improvement due to fast pacing of his combat style) and Aqua (who was so much more interesting with her combat style, with a tad op), before coming back to Terra. The other stories pointing just how idiotic Terra's actions were were indeed a relief. I also accustomed myself to command melding better and that helped to get back to Terra, grind for a bit in Neverland and get op (some levels, curagas, a lot of thunder surges). What was hilarious is that when I went back to Neverland and talked to Peter Pan and he specifically tells Terra how gullible he is. That was great.

That said, even with op Terra the final two life bars took forever after smashing through the first couple of them because he kept teleporting. It's still honestly such a badly designed boss, designing hard bosses is one thing, but a boss with ton of hp, that teleports constantly during which he is invincible and takes forever is just really, really bad.

Since the story is ongoing, I don't think even the wiki has an up-to-date summary right now. I'd recommend not to bother playing the game and just watch videos.

Start with damos279's recaps first, think there's 3 in total? Then watch the cutscenes following where he leaves off, and tune in once a month for new story updates. KHInsider and Everglow are the two main channels with translated cutscenes. I personally prefer KHI's since their translations are better and they cut out most of the gameplay, but Everglow's are also very popular.

I just wanted to ask... is it even worth it? As in, is the story actually good, or does it tie into KH3 in any meaningful way. Because I've read otherwise on different message boards and I'm not sure I want to spend my time on it to be quite honest....

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
So, yeah, I wanted to thank you. I've read that you have to finish character stories on separate save files, so I just went through Ventus (which was an improvement due to fast pacing of his combat style) and Aqua (who was so much more interesting with her combat style, with a tad op), before coming back to Terra. The other stories pointing just how idiotic Terra's actions were were indeed a relief. I also accustomed myself to command melding better and that helped to get back to Terra, grind for a bit in Neverland and get op (some levels, curagas, a lot of thunder surges). What was hilarious is that when I went back to Neverland and talked to Peter Pan and he specifically tells Terra how gullible he is. That was great.

That said, even with op Terra the final two life bars took forever after smashing through the first couple of them because he kept teleporting. It's still honestly such a badly designed boss, designing hard bosses is one thing, but a boss with ton of hp, that teleports constantly during which he is invincible and takes forever is just really, really bad.

I just wanted to ask... is it even worth it? As in, is the story actually good, or does it tie into KH3 in any meaningful way. Because I've read otherwise on different message boards and I'm not sure I want to spend my time on it to be quite honest....

No problem!

As for the mobile game references, KH3 has one big reference to it, but it's something that you can understand with the context of the scene

Last edited:

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Are there any starting choices that should be avoided on Critical mode?
I went for Wisdom/Guardian on Proud at launch: would that be OK again?

Finalow

Oct 28, 2017
Finished the game. This has to be the biggest bullshit story I've ever witnessed. It was so bad, unbearable at times. And no, it didn't finish or conclude anything. There was just more and more bullshit put on top of all the other nonsense at the end. This was my last Kingdom Hearts game. I hope there will never be another Kingdom Hearts game. I should have stopped after Kingdom Hearts 2. I still dearly love Kingdom Hearts 1+2, two of the best games ever made. But it got worse with every prequel/spin-off they released. And then they tried to make sense of all the utter shit in KH3. Heck, this game builds more on the story of some fucking mobile game than it does on Kingdom Hearts 2. They really fucked this series up. It's beyond saving. Square-Enix should just build on the great gameplay and make a new franchise out of that. But we all know there will be a Kingdom Hearts 4 and probably 10 more spin-offs on 20 different platforms. What a waste.
I was reading your post thinking that you were not familiar with the series at all, and it made sense, but then you wrote "KH 1 and 2 best games ever made" and and suddenly it made no sense. whether it's short memory or humongous amounts of nostalgia, every game in the series is extremely dumb, cheesy, nonsensical etc. in terms of writing/story.
take KH1, when I played the game again recently it felt like the dumbest disney shit plot mixed with edgy brain-dead anime teens I've ever seen or read, but clearly I had a different opinion when I played the game as a 13 y old.

now that doesn't mean they're bad games, I think KHF2 is easily the best game in the series and 3 doesn't even come close, 1 is generally terrible but I can see the charm of disney worlds and the nostalgia making people enjoy it more than they should.

I finished 3 recently, since, well, I've played most of the games in the series - almost ashamed to admit it - and wanted to see how it ended. this "first saga" at least. I will probably play the future games too, it's kind of the typical cycle of "I know it's trash but I can enjoy trash, and sometimes (rarely) the trash turns into something good", which applies to not just games but different medias as well.

3 had it's moments, especially in the ending, even though it was incredibly rushed (and yes, dumb, but again, that's a KH trademark) but main issue was that I didn't really enjoy many / if any of the worlds, simply because I was waiting for the big finale, for the "shit is going down" moments, and that took forever to happen.
meaning, the finale Nomura thought of, the finale they made, wasn't long or detailed enough so they had to put 40 hours of filler worlds instead of 20 into the game. maybe they didn't have enough time (ironic, I know), or run out of good ideas, or who the fuck knows.

also, thank god for critical mode, which makes the combat system not a mindless button mashing fiesta.

edit : one last thing,
kind of amusing was the fact that the most important bits of the whole story and the future sagas after Xehanort were in a shitass browser game no one played and later were "summarized" in a dumb movie, which still didn't explain shit. Oh yeah, LUXU reveal HOLY FUUK MY CHAIR JUST EXPLODED
wait, WHO? Let me google dive into all the wikis and understand why I should care first then rewatch the omega secret movie and pretend to be shocked at the plot twist. masterful *claps*
that being said, that reveal was foreshadowed very very subtly.

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still unsure how the upcoming DLC works, exactly. How much of it is post-game and how much of it is new material inserted into the original campaign?

I've been wanting to run through the game again on Critical, but was wondering if I should wait for the DLC to come out first so I'm simultaneously experiencing whatever new content they're sandwiching in.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still unsure how the upcoming DLC works, exactly. How much of it is post-game and how much of it is new material inserted into the original campaign?

I've been wanting to run through the game again on Critical, but was wondering if I should wait for the DLC to come out first so I'm simultaneously experiencing whatever new content they're sandwiching in.
A free update is adding story scenes in the main story and the other stuff is post game

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
K, thanks.

Is there still more planned DLC? I could swear I read there would be three updates total, but maybe I'm wrong.

Still holding out hope for Showdown of Fate 3: The Rise of Strife

Nomura said they wanted to offer one large DLC and then move on to the next game.

In terms of content we got

ReMind: Story that will contain a bunch of fights in the Keyblade Graveyard. Multiple playable characters.
Limit Cut: 13 Postgame fights with the Organization like in KH2FM. Explorable Scala ad Caelum is probably linked to this.
Secret Episode: Stuff related to future KH games. Will have the game's hardest boss.

They seem to be putting more into this than any of the other Final Mixes. Hope Sephiroth does show up.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
So this new DLC is expected to be like a Final Mix? If I wanted to play KH3 for the first time it would be better to wait a month for ReMind?

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So this new DLC is expected to be like a Final Mix? If I wanted to play KH3 for the first time it would be better to wait a month for ReMind?

Yeah it's essentially a Final Mix

Probably a good idea to jump into KH3 once Re:Mind is out. They're adding some new cutscenes to the main game alongside difficulty modifiers. The DLC is basically post-game content too so it'll be nice to jump into it after finishing the main game.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm finally working on getting my Critical mode Sora to level 99 in preparation for the DLC. It's not too bad with the battlegate in San Fransokyo and an EXP boost from food.

Sora went from 42 to 68 in about a half hour of grinding the gate.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
I'm finally working on getting my Critical mode Sora to level 99 in preparation for the DLC. It's not too bad with the battlegate in San Fransokyo and an EXP boost from food.

Sora went from 42 to 68 in about a half hour of grinding the gate.
It definetly isn't a hard task to level up to 99 in KH3 and I kind of appreciate that, KH3 is probably the easiest of the series to reach 99.

I think it's funny to think back to before the game released because I was sure it was going to be much harder to level up considering the grind in BBS and DDD.

Darkmark1987

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Thinking of replaying the game, but unsure if I should wait til remind. Has there been any news if the new content is sprinkled throughout the game (like a final mix) or just all in the end area which I guess they will let us replay.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pre-ordered ReMind on the PSN store, and now I can listen to Dearly Beloved while browsing the home screen.

tenor.gif

Dec 25, 2018
Thinking of replaying the game, but unsure if I should wait til remind. Has there been any news if the new content is sprinkled throughout the game (like a final mix) or just all in the end area which I guess they will let us replay.

we know there are new abilities being added for free, but we don't know how you obtain them. I am assuming the game will give you them if you have them past a certain point (I hope). The new story updates probably will be viewable in theater mode. most of the new DLC seems to not be used throughout the game, and basically is an expansion pack for the end of the game. It's not like the previous FM games when things were added throughout, the new content seems to be post/end game only.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder at what time does this release on the 23rd is it gonna be a midnight release is gonna be available during an update later in the day.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
I didn't pay too much attention to the KH3 updates that released last year, so I have a couple of questions.

1) I can carry over all of my Keyblades and the Proof of Promise thing from my Proud file into a new Critical file, yeah?

2) I wasn't aware of these Proof things. Should I see the Proof of Promise in my inventory when I load my completed Proud file? I found all the Lucky Emblems, got 'A's in all the mini games, etc.

3) Assuming I successfully carry over the above items into a new Critical file, am I correct in thinking that I can then skip most of the the fluff stuff in my Critical run, since I'll already have Ultima Weapon and the Proof? Or am I forgetting anything else important?

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't pay too much attention to the KH3 updates that released last year, so I have a couple of questions.

1) I can carry over all of my Keyblades and the Proof of Promise thing from my Proud file into a new Critical file, yeah?

2) I wasn't aware of these Proof things. Should I see the Proof of Promise in my inventory when I load my completed Proud file? I found all the Lucky Emblems, got 'A's in all the mini games, etc.

3) Assuming I successfully carry over the above items into a new Critical file, am I correct in thinking that I can then skip most of the the fluff stuff in my Critical run, since I'll already have Ultima Weapon and the Proof? Or am I forgetting anything else important?

1) Yeah - Keyblades, Selfie Poses, and Proofs carry over if you select a save file that obtained them.

2) Yeah you should have the Proof if you fullfilled its requirement. It will pop immediately when you get every emblem or will automatically be given to you if you load the file after that patch from a few months ago.

3) Yeah, you can skip stuff like Emblems, Ultima Weapon grinding ect. if you already have them.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
1) Yeah - Keyblades, Selfie Poses, and Proofs carry over if you select a save file that obtained them.

2) Yeah you should have the Proof if you fullfilled its requirement. It will pop immediately when you get every emblem or will automatically be given to you if you load the file after that patch from a few months ago.

3) Yeah, you can skip stuff like Emblems, Ultima Weapon grinding ect. if you already have them.
Alright! That's great to hear. Thank you so much for the reply.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone pre-ordered the DLC on Europe PSN here? I want to get the theme but do I get the theme right away or only when the DLC releases?

Want that dearly beloved playing every time I turn on the PS4 for sure.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just bought the DLC for KH III but I'm worried now. My Kingdom Hearts III was bought from the US store and the DLC from the Brazil store. It will work now?

My Final Fantasy XV is from the Brazil store but I bought the episodes from the US one and it worked. But I read in the internet that the DLCs are region locked and stuff. Is this true? Maybe they are just region locked if the game's region is different from the DLC, what I mean for this is for exemple, if my game is from an European account but the DLC from a US account for example.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I've never played a KH game before, and have just started playing KH3 on Gamepass, it's a lot of fun, but, there seems to be a heck of a lot of systems and menu options that I have no idea about.

I've only got about an hour in, will these things become apparent?, is it something I am missing due to not playing previous iterations?, if so, is there anything I should know?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
So I've never played a KH game before, and have just started playing KH3 on Gamepass, it's a lot of fun, but, there seems to be a heck of a lot of systems and menu options that I have no idea about.

I've only got about an hour in, will these things become apparent?, is it something I am missing due to not playing previous iterations?, if so, is there anything I should know?

What exactly are you having trouble with, just so I know what to explain and help with?

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What exactly are you having trouble with, just so I know what to explain and help with?
Mainly, I am picking 'things' up, no idea what they do, I am also getting messages about 'things' leveling up, not sure what they are, and there is a whole ability menu with a ton of abilities, and the whole magic system!

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Mainly, I am picking 'things' up, no idea what they do, I am also getting messages about 'things' leveling up, not sure what they are, and there is a whole ability menu with a ton of abilities, and the whole magic system!

OK, thanks.
Most of the stuff you pick up are either ingredients which you use for cooking (you usually find these by hitting food items, like a stall with fruit on, or by using Y to search the ground for mushrooms, trees for apples etc.), or items for Synthesis, which you use to create different items. I'm not sure if you have cooking available yet, but it's a minigame where you can prepare meals that increase your stats for a set period of time.

Synthesis things are stuff like Blaze Gems, Fluorite, and other material sounding names, and you give these to the shop Moogles. As you progress through the game, you'll get the option to create more things, from healing items, to accessories, to exclusive weapons. You can find these in chests, but they're mainly dropped by enemies, and obviously stronger enemies drop better materials.

Ability wise, you get these for both leveling up, and doing certain story bits (which is why level 1 runs are possible, because you still get some abilities). These cost AP, and you can set these in the abilities menu. I'd ignore any auto abilities, such as the one that automatically performs an attraction or formchange finisher etc., as they're effectively a waste of a slot. You can find items that increase your stats, including AP ups which increase your maximum AP, so always use these on Sora when you get them. A lot of the combat abilities are kind of hard to notice, but they'll add different moves to your combos. KH is like the opposite of fighting games though, in terms of damage, in the fact that the final hit in your combo (combo finish) is what deals the big damage, so in most fights, you'll deal low damage, before your final hit just knocks a big chunk off their HP. Three important abilities are leaf bracer, which stops you from being interrupted while using cure magic, and Withstand Combo and Second Chance, which allow you to survive any combo or single hit with 1HP, as long as you have more than 1HP left. This is why, if you've ever seen a video of a superboss from this series, the player will get hit and juggled without dying.

You get magic as you progress the story, and these cost MP. Cure magic takes the whole bar. In the menus, I think customisation, you can set shortcuts for magic and items like potion and ethers, to use with LB and a face button. Magic is really strong on this game though, so you shouldn't ignore it.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Many thanks, appreciate you taking to time to help!

No problem. Just one more thing: I'm not sure if you have it yet, but midway through the first world, you get an ability called a shotlock, where you lock into enemies then do a big finisher. When you're locking on, you can also aim at any enemy you want to, and hit X to perform an airstep, which sort of teleports you to them. You want to use this a lot during combat: if there's an enemy who is high in the air and throwing projectiles, just airstep to them, attack them, and then repeat. As you progress, your melee combos will start covering lots of ground, but airstepping is always useful. It's basically warp strike from FFXV, if you've played that.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No problem. Just one more thing: I'm not sure if you have it yet, but midway through the first world, you get an ability called a shotlock, where you lock into enemies then do a big finisher. When you're locking on, you can also aim at any enemy you want to, and hit X to perform an airstep, which sort of teleports you to them. You want to use this a lot during combat: if there's an enemy who is high in the air and throwing projectiles, just airstep to them, attack them, and then repeat. As you progress, your melee combos will start covering lots of ground, but airstepping is always useful. It's basically warp strike from FFXV, if you've played that.
I think I need to get my head around the camera and locking on period really, but I'll keep an eye out for the ability.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The game kind of overloads you with information at the start. Most of it is from past games but some of it is new.