• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

Kingdom Hearts III |OT| Don't Think Twice, Just Face My Fears!

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly play linear action games, and I was also not frustrated, per se. Again, the core of my complaint lies in how visually bland and indistinct the level is. If I am not engaged, I will not want to play. If I have to stay glued to the map to remember which direction I came from and where I should be headed, the level is not well designed. If I legitimately can't tell which nooks and crannies of the level are explorable just by looking at them, then the visual language of that level is off. Hell, if the map is more interesting to look at than the level art, somebody screwed up somewhere.

When I say I got lost, I'm speaking in relative terms. I always knew where I was going in other levels, except when I wasn't supposed to. In Arendelle, a level which does not deal in such intentional obfuscation, I had to take a minute to reorient myself a handful of times. I am highlighting that as a failure of level design.
Ah I see. That makes more sense.

Nov 6, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked, but I've a question regarding the "Let It Go" scene. Was that scene created from the ground up in Unreal Engine, mirroring the scene from the movie as closely as possible, or were they able to import assets from the film into Unreal Engine to help with the design process?

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They said they wanted to see an original story made for Kingdom Hearts and not just an adaption, we can appreciate that on the other end Disney had very strict guidelines with some of the worlds im not sure they are bothered by 'canon' but they rather help create an original storyline with Square Enix
Tells me the problem with Disney worlds in KH right now isn't Disney/Pixar but Nomura. If you have Disney/Pixar willing to help you to create original stories for their properties for your game, but you opt for the shallow retelling that's basically a bore and has been since KH2, I don't even know what to say. That's been one of the weakest elements of these games dating back to KH2 onward and unfortunately it's actually the biggest chunk of these games. The fact that Nomura has Disney saying they're happy with original stories, and would probably no doubt even assist in them creatively since they obviously care about their properties, yet he seems he needs to have Sora basically go through the motions of the movie demonstrates a lack of creative vision on his part.

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, this Frozen world was BAAAAAAAAD especially the "It's........fucking nothing!" climax where our characters don't even interact with the Frozen cast at all. What a bizarre story arc & huge momentum killer. It took three days to push myself to finally slog through it. At least the boss battle was fun though - glad it's over!

xillyriax

Game Test Analyst
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
San Diego
Sorry if this has been asked, but I've a question regarding the "Let It Go" scene. Was that scene created from the ground up in Unreal Engine, mirroring the scene from the movie as closely as possible, or were they able to import assets from the film into Unreal Engine to help with the design process?
Most likely is was done in Maya and inserted into the game. There's an image floating around of the Let It Go scene which has the Arnold watermark (a renderer in Maya) left in the game.

Oct 27, 2017
I’m watching some back cover cutscenes and MoM sounds like such an obnoxious douchebag. Not at all what I was expecting. I feel like they’re trying to make him lolsofunny and charming but he’s just a dickhead.

Oct 27, 2017
I’m watching some back cover cutscenes and MoM sounds like such an obnoxious douchebag. Not at all what I was expecting. I feel like they’re trying to make him lolsofunny and charming but he’s just a dickhead.
No, he's just supposed to be a dickhead. He basically sets the Foretellers up to fail.

Oct 26, 2017
The person that they got to play Not-Johnny Depp in the Pirates world is doing a good job. Huge improvement from the VA in II.
thats because this time its actually someone whos been doing his voice in all the video games back to the PS2 days. He's actually a pretty solid mock voice actor

Oct 25, 2017
Back Cover was hilarious to me; I loved those bits among the kinda ehhh actual Chi stuff.

Coming off watching the Chi cutscenes in the day or so before, they build the Master of Masters up as this mysterious leader that was such a great person, but questionably left them so alone when this problem was brewing... and no, nope, it was actually just that he was a complete dick in such a hilariously obvious way, with this weird amount of joking charisma that’s totally out of place for the Union leaders’ seriousness. It made the movie worth watching.

Oct 27, 2017
I guess but what I mean is that it feels like he’s supposed to be a likeable and humorous villain but he’s just aggravating to me.

Look at this. Fuck this guy.
Well, yeah. He's a weirdo. He doesn't seem to take anything seriously and that constantly disarms the foretellers. No one knows what his game is.

But it will be incredibly satisfying to punch him in the dick.

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most annoying things in this game was when the game straight up tells you to go to the wrong place in Toy Story world.

Agreed.

But then you hear Elizabeth and they cancel each other out.
Yup, I got to that world and was kind of impressed that Jack didn’t sound like garbage this time. And then Elizabeth talked

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any additional steps I'm missing to unlock
Omega Ship battle?

I did the 4 sides of the building and it showed a clip of the top but nothing appeared and there's nothing up there at all.

Do I need to beat
Tornado bastard guy
first?

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say KH2FM had it worse too. There was way more synth grinding and forced Atlantica sections.

both final mixes made getting the ultimate weapon no fun. While both added great things they really messed with any fun the end game had in getting the weapon. Plus I will never forgive them for ruining oblivion.

Oct 26, 2017
Are there any additional steps I'm missing to unlock
Omega Ship battle?

I did the 4 sides of the building and it showed a clip of the top but nothing appeared and there's nothing up there at all.

Do I need to beat
Tornado bastard guy
first?

did you do the guy underneath the ship......thats the one i forgot as well.

Apr 10, 2018
I’m assuming Disney fucked hardcore with the frozen world right? Otherwise that was bizarre.
That's kind of what I'm thinking. I imagine since Frozen is Disney's big merchandise property, they wanted minimal interaction with original stuff. That would explain why any time they did a scene from the film, SDG would be regulated to just watching it play out.

Oct 25, 2017
Army dude tells you to go to the baby store at one point and there’s nothing in the baby store but a bunch of heartless. You’re actually supposed to go to the kid place across from it
Oh... that. Yeah, I guess? The doll store did not click to me as a "baby store" lol...

"Babies and Toddlers" is the top floor section. You can see it listed as such on posters and maps in the store and when you go to the kid korral it even says "Babies and Toddlers: Outdoors" for that section. So I kinda just never had a problem with this and went around the top floor and saw a window. Then Woody commented on it.

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Nomura and friends really need to lobby for more Pixar stuff in the next game. It's obvious the Pixar guys put in real effort had a lot of fun integrating their stuff into the crazy ass KH plot. Like night and day with the proper Disney worlds.
My guess is that the Frozen guys were just too cool and successful to taint their amazing property with filthy animus.

But the Pixar team likes fun.

Or maybe Disney just values FROZEN more

both final mixes made getting the ultimate weapon no fun. While both added great things they really messed with any fun the end game had in getting the weapon. Plus I will never forgive them for ruining oblivion.
Ultima Weapon in KH 1 Final Mix took me MONTHS

Oct 25, 2017
Army dude tells you to go to the baby store at one point and there’s nothing in the baby store but a bunch of heartless. You’re actually supposed to go to the kid place across from it
But you access the Kid Korral through a window in Babies and Toddlers: Outdoors, as Wrestleman said. IIRC it’s still not explained as clearly as it could be due to the section name being reused with a subtitle, but I don’t think it was outright wrong?

I feel like it definitely said the Outdoors bit in the objective on the pause menu, at least.

Oct 26, 2017
damn, the ride is ending here but I have a gaping question here.

Xehanort didn't seem like he was really all that evil. It seems like he wanted to purge all the darkness of the world and everything because of the first keyblade war. He seemed like a more open ended evil at the end than a pure one compared to the like of his darkness counterpart ansem. However of course Xehanort was going about the wrong way of purging all the worlds of darkness and returning everything to their original states.

Either way it was a very nice ending to a long, long Xehanort saga........to me this whole story wasn't about Sora....but about Xehanort and master Eraqus.

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
damn, the ride is ending here but I have a gaping question here.

Xehanort didn't seem like he was really all that evil. It seems like he wanted to purge all the darkness of the world and everything because of the first keyblade war. He seemed like a more open ended evil at the end than a pure one compared to the like of his darkness counterpart ansem. However of course Xehanort was going about the wrong way of purging all the worlds of darkness and returning everything to their original states.

Either way it was a very nice ending to a long, long Xehanort saga........to me this whole story wasn't about Sora....but about Xehanort and master Eraqus.
Yup, he thinks he's the only one Badass enough to handle the power of Darkness

Oct 26, 2017
ok, someone explain the damn extra scenes

Ok, so Xigbar was Luxu this whole time.....not a huge ordeal. But it seems the next phase is going to be 7 pieces of darkness and probably 13 warriors of light im guessing to start the 3rd keyblade war?

Also was that Somnus I heard with riku and sora in the city? I really don't get what Nomura wanted to do there for the "Reconnect kingdom hearts" BS

edit: nvm thats not Riku.....that most likely is Yozora hence the name of the video and why it looks like Insomnia

Oct 28, 2017
That's kind of what I'm thinking. I imagine since Frozen is Disney's big merchandise property, they wanted minimal interaction with original stuff. That would explain why any time they did a scene from the film, SDG would be regulated to just watching it play out.
You mentioned that Monsters Inc. had many more guidelines than Toy Story. Was that the one that had perhaps the most guidelines or was there one that had even more?

Tetsuya Nomura: Frozen had the most.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/tetsuya-nomura-kingdom-hearts-3-interview

Tetsujin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
ok, someone explain the damn extra scenes

Ok, so Xigbar was Luxu this whole time.....not a huge ordeal. But it seems the next phase is going to be 7 pieces of darkness and probably 13 warriors of light im guessing to start the 3rd keyblade war?

Also was that Somnus I heard with riku and sora in the city? I really don't get what Nomura wanted to do there for the "Reconnect kingdom hearts" BS

edit: nvm thats not Riku.....that most likely is Yozora hence the name of the video and why it looks like Insomnia
Eraqus had one piece representing Sora. So Sora against the Foretellers, probably. At this point it's still a huge shoulder shrug.

That secret ending is in Tokyo, specifically the one from The World Ends With You. Riku was there, but so is Yozora for some reason. And yeah, that was a reference to Somnus. Not the exact notes but close enough to be an obvious nod.

Oct 26, 2017
Forgot there's an OT for 3. Want like to quote myself from comm-ot if ok
I want to post about two topics but don't want to double-post, so this one will be bit longer:

1) Unpopular opinion: I think that the story and scenario writing of the KH-series is good (besides all this time travel, light vs dark, hearts and bodies talk) , because of the the following reasons:
  • It's one of the few piece of media where someone can talk stuff about "friends are my power", "being consumed by darkness", "light defeats darkness" and gets me emotional
  • It achieves that I care for every single character of this huge ensemble.
  • The devs are skilled enough to use imaginaries and symbolic in impactful ways
  • Details are not being ignored and are getting referenced even after nearly 2 decades
  • The devs know exactly how to effectively use music to increase the emotional impact of scenes
  • They devs are good in using mystery and foreeshadowing things and are able to engage a whole fandom in discussions and theories between titles.
  • And more

Because all of that, yes I consider myself that the writing is good.

2) Now few days after I reached the ending, I started to read some impressions, and there are some statements (espacially on Era of all places) that annoy me quite a bit. There are many people that don't like the story/gameplay and think KH is stupid, and that is totally fine and normal. I completely understand that it is not for everyone. However, some people are attacking people that love the games by implying thinks like that "fans haven't 'grown out' of it yet", are "wired differently", "don't know what good is" and more. And some are definitely finding enjoyment when the series gets shit on by reviewers or youtubers. I just don't understand why. Why do they have a problem that this series is loved by some? Is it because that they feel insecure that they can't enjoy the series or try to talk into themselves that they are not missing out something? You see many people agreeing reviewers that the game deserves a 1of10 because of the 'shitty' story. But they don't comment a single word about the gameplay. KH is a gameplay-heavy series and basically the meat. If you think the whole packet is an 1, then it's fine. If you think KH is an 1 without knowing how the gameplay actually is and just watching some story cutscenes on YouTube, then imo that's not ok.
And then there's the think about the story continuation. Apparently some people don't understand the concept of sequels? Of course it is difficult to get into the story if you have not play the previous games. But where's the issue? This is normal to all long-going series. Do people want that long-going video game series with story continuations don't exist per se? Why should that not be a thing? The KH series was able to build up a fandom that follows the continuation and enjoys the story developments. But apparently some people want to take this enjoyment away from the existing fans and propose that every KH-game should basically be a soft-reboot? But why? This series is clearly not for them then.

That are my 2 cents.
For all games (and other media) in general i've the feeling that many are too focused on the negative/flaw aspects and forget sometimes the positive/strong elements

Oct 25, 2017
Finding these blueprint fragments is impossible. What the fuck. Why would you mark blue and pink crystals with the same symbol on the map, while the blue ones respawn? holy fuck