• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bjamin88

Alt account
Banned
Jul 29, 2018
So I got to the end-game this weekend and just...stopped. I wanted to finish this game to form a final opinion on it based off a complete play through but after 30 hours I pretty much (personally) stopped enjoying it after San Fransokyo.

Exactly the same for me. I have no background with KH games but I decided to give this one a go, generally fun but the end game with boss after boss and no idea who or what or why I'm doing this anymore made me drop it and probably won't ever go back. Definitely a game of 2 halves for me, first 15 hours were great, after that it just felt badly paced/repetitive and kinda boring. But like I said, I have no background to Kingdom Hearts, I get why fans would love the end game.

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
It's the neverending issue with read only tutorials. Many people just can't be bothered to read those, which is why people skip them after the like 3rd wall of text and onwards, because they "just want to play the game" and afterwards some of them complain about things never being explained to them. lol

Not sure if this is aimed at me, but I'll answer anyway. :)

I made a point of reading all the pop-up windows, even if I felt like it wasn't very user-friendly, and maybe I accidentally missed this little nugget, or forgot it with everything else the game was explaining to me. In this case it sounds like I'm not a minority that missed the fact that you can change what command you want to use, can you really blame the users for missing this information? When they try to explain every little system through these pop-up windows, certain key information will be lost on the user simply because it's information overload.

I don't have an answer to how they could do this better, I'm not a game designer, but I feel it could be communicated better.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is aimed at me, but I'll answer anyway. :)

I made a point of reading all the pop-up windows, even if I felt like it wasn't very user-friendly, and maybe I accidentally missed this little nugget, or forgot it with everything else the game was explaining to me. In this case it sounds like I'm not a minority that missed the fact that you can change what command you want to use, can you really blame the users for missing this information? When they try to explain every little system through these pop-up windows, certain key information will be lost on the user simply because it's information overload.

I don't have an answer to how they could do this better, I'm not a game designer, but I feel it could be communicated better.

Sorry, if it seemed like I was singling you out. That wasn't my intention. It's a general issue that I have, from both a design and player perspective.

Some games really overdo do it with text tutorials and KH3 is one of them. I don't really blame people for skipping it after a while and in this case, a better solution would have been to have tutorials that made you perform those actions, because that's way more effective.

Deleted member 49770

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2018
Regarding the UI, I noticed that BbS' command deck has little up/down arrows next to it. Even if they didn't show the actual button you needed to press, this little addition to KH3's UI would at least show that the commands could be scrolled through and it wouldn't take long for the player to find the right button.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm literally forcing myself to finish this game and I'm pretty sure I'm at the final level, but holy shit is this some of the worst pacing ever. Even the final level is padded to hell. The game has ended like 5 times already and apparently I'm just at the beginning of the end level.

I died, went to the afterlife, returned like 2 minutes back in time before I died, rode a wave of keyblades into darkness, and smashed the darkness away. All of that was apparently just the start of the end level as Xenohart and his 13 show up who I gotta face. WTF?!

Seriously, what is this kind of pacing?
This just seems totally bizarre. I don't know how you could consider any of those endings. Or be surprised by a series of boss fights when that's what has been talked about all game about what everyone has been preparing for.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I just completed Big Hero 6 and Pirates of the Caribbean for my replay. On finding a good minimum level: I stopped at Level 15 after grinding a bit in Frozen and it's felt like a good balance so far, though I'm not sure if it's actually a better experience or if it's BH6 and PotC being much easier worlds to complete

While I enjoyed BH6 on my first playthrough, I've honestly started to dislike it and Pirates. I don't mind the regular gauntlets / encounters, it's more the bosses being either really easy or really gimmicky. The gimmicky bosses were nice diversions the first time, but now that I'm replaying the game solely to mess around with the combat, they're just getting in the way of the actual fun parts.

I also just noticed that there's quite a few options, like toggling the cinematics for Attractions / Links, removing the cinematic camera angles for combo enders and there's even an option for shortened formchange animations. That option changes all the unique formchange animations into a generic activation animation that looks a lot like the Drive activation animation from KH2. If you're into that kind of thing, or dislike the really long activations, then it's good to switch it to that.

Personally, I've toggled it back to the default setting (i.e. showing the transformation animations). The longer animations are annoying, but some keyblades do get more utility with the default animations (e.g. Shooting Star will push you forward during its animation, so it's not bad as a quick escape option in some situations; Happy Gear's transformations can add meaty, extra damage to your combos, Wheel of Fate and Nano Gear have really good stagger / interrupt-ability on their animations etc.). It really depends on what you're utilizing.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I've almost platinum'd the game. I adore the gummi ship section of the game. I always hated that aspect in 1 and 2...but 3? My god, give me a more fleshed out version of this and slap it as a digital only game and I'll buy it for $19.99. I'd love to see more missions like a horde mode or racing other gummi ships (or Ventus on his keyblade surfboard).

Core gameplay-wise, I thought the weakest world was Big Hero 6. I like how they tried their take on "open world" but it was just too empty. Nothing to do except climb buildings. I felt the strongest worlds in terms of gameplay would be either Pirates or ToyBox (I know this is not a popular opinion). I just loved shooting pirate ships down or boarding those mechs. Just lots of fun.

I've clocked in ~55 hours so far and I just wrapped up the HIDDEN MICKEYS and now just need to grab a handful of chests.

I can't wait until the final mix dlc comes, whenever that may be. I remember modding my ps2 so I could play KH Final Mix and how much of an improvement it was over the original. I don't know what Nomura has in plan for DLC, but I hope at the very least he gives a road map in the coming months.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Finaly wrapped the game last night. What a ride. I can finally take myself out of internet and social exile.

Have a lot of thoughts on the game that I'll slowly mull over as I work on the postgame stuff and the platinum. But the one definitive thing I can say is that it completely lived up to my 13 years of dreams and expectations.
And that ending lol, Kingdom Hearts's wild ride will never ever end, not while Nomura has his say.
I'm eagerly awaiting for more with the DLC/Final Mix expansion, and eventually, KH4.

This is exactly how I felt. I went out of my way to not be spoiled after all this time. I can finally tell people they can use the number 3 around me again.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Finished Kingdom of Corona. Best world in the series.

Don't really have anything to say, tons of heart put into the right places, it was a fantastic experience.

My only 3 gripes:
-Some cutscenes should have happened towards the end to adapt the loose ends.
-Was overall dissapointed with the tracks (still good stuff, just that KH has proven it can do so much more)
-Boss should have been a certain character.

Aside from that, amazing. Gothel is still my favourite animated villain of all time.

Oct 25, 2017
agreed. it's like 13 fights in a row with no build up and it ends like 8 times.

This is a bizarre statement because the entire game (and hell, the previous game, too) is building up to those fights, and none of them aside from the final one feel like an end at all.

You're really going to tell me that you get to a fight aganst Luxord, Marluxia and Larxene and go "Well, I guess this is the end fight"?

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright... On multiple occassions I've thought about just giving up on this game and trading it in. Every time I get ready to do so, I second-guess myself and go back to play some more. I have a lot of issues with KH3, but little moments bring me such a strange amount of joy.

Last night, I suffered through about an hour of the Caribbean. I say suffered, because it felt like I was pulled into a cutscene just about every time I really started to enjoy a new mechanic. I ended up going to bed early after hunting for 300 white crabs and was on the verge of giving up on the game again.

But... I had some time before work this morning and decided to just give it another chance. Little did I know I was mere moments away from being able to sail a neat little open-world and explore so many islands! I'm mad that it took so long to get to this point, but I really enjoy this world now!

As an added bonus, I realized I hadn't tried out the Keyblade I got from Arendelle yet. I was extremely happy to find that it's mostly a copy of my favorite Keyblade from Monsters Inc. I was ecstatic when I realized the final finisher mimicked a scene from Let it Go:

This game has been a bit of a rollercoaster for me so far, but I'm still glad I'm playing it. I think I'll have to keep it in my collection after all.

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
Spent most of the day yesterday in the Caribbean... not sure why people are complaining about crabs? Ended up with more than 300 just naturally exploring Port Royal.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I woke up at six in the morning today because I beat KH3 and felt so much sadness that that chapter of my life is over.

The game really hit me like a ton of bricks by the end. Loved it ;_;

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Caribbean was a blast, it's what I hope most of the worlds will be like in future games. So much to explore, it was pretty fun.
Only big complaint is the invisible walls for a lot of rock formations are really wonky.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished the Caribbean (with Big Hero 6 still to explore). Percentage wise, how much of the story would you say I've completed? Heading out of country at the end of the month so I'm kinda rushing to finish it... I'll platinum when I return

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I don't see what either of you are saying. The final confrontation
was only ever going to be between Sora and Xehanort. The other "darknesses" were all clearly their own individual, small-scale resolutions to ultimately build up to the big fight. And I don't see how any of the events Boss Attack first listed felt like the story on the verge of ending.

Yeah I think I an the other poster are using "final confrontation" loosely referring
to the entirety of the final "level" which just ends up being a boss rush with some save points between. Each boss has their own "goodbye" cut scene, and then of course Xeonort "dies" like 3 times.

Oct 26, 2017
Question before i share my thoughts so far: i just left Arendelle. How many world left until game ends? Spoiler tag for those still working through the game

Arendelle, which for me was the weakest of the worlds thus far. I can't quantify why i feel this way, but im missing the sense of wonder i had when i played the first game (havent played 2).

I'm having fun in spite of the intrusive cutscenes. I want to play not watch these slow paced monsters. i will admit to losing my shit laughing right after Else belts Let it go. A birds eye view shot of our three heroes wioth jaws dropped uttering "uhh...w.....wow" killed me for minutes that i had to pause the game and let it out.

ChaserX

Nov 1, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm surprised that the Ralph link is actually able to stun more than the basic enemies. Nearly laughed my ass off at how effective it was during the final battles.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
The Caribbean is likely the only KH world I suggest blazing through then going back and exploring the rest of it. Had a lot more fun when I came back and explored after the story stuff. I think it's a great world in all but some of the naval battles where a bit much. The dive bombing ship attack is pure hype and ridiculousness.

agreed. it's like 13 fights in a row with no build up and it ends like 8 times.
The series so far is the buildup. All of it has led to ripping Xehanort and his cronies a new one.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Gonna have to disagree there because no other keyblade has anything on wheel of fate and its dragoon form change.

Man, I wish there were more FF-inspired form changes. How has there not been a Katana-related form yet?

Ultima Weapon is freaking Armiger Unleashed

AgreeableWiltedDove-size_restricted.gif

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
Question before i share my thoughts so far: i just left Arendelle. How many world left until game ends? Spoiler tag for those still working through the game

Arendelle, which for me was the weakest of the worlds thus far. I can't quantify why i feel this way, but im missing the sense of wonder i had when i played the first game (havent played 2).

I'm having fun in spite of the intrusive cutscenes. I want to play not watch these slow paced monsters. i will admit to losing my shit laughing right after Else belts Let it go. A birds eye view shot of our three heroes wioth jaws dropped uttering "uhh...w.....wow" killed me for minutes that i had to pause the game and let it out.

Arendelle suffered from a lot of executive meddling, so that's certainly not an uncommon opinion.

You've got 2 Disney worlds left - The Caribbean and San Fransokyo - and then the big end-game extravaganza that the entire series has been leading up to. If you've only played KH1, you will probably not care for any of it.

Oct 26, 2017
Arendelle suffered from a lot of executive meddling, so that's certainly not an uncommon opinion.

You've got 2 Disney worlds left - The Caribbean and San Fransokyo - and then the big end-game extravaganza that the entire series has been leading up to. If you've only played KH1, you will probably not care for any of it.

Sounds good! Thanks for the response.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that I feel like I'm one of the few people that's really enjoyed Arendelle, I'm not done yet, just met the snowman and the sister.

My two favorite worlds have been Tangled and Frozen and I think that speaks to the types of worlds I like I guess?

Toy Story and Monsters, despite being IPs I love more, have been my least liked.

Olympus/TT in between.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I actually really enjoy Arendelle too, but it does overstay its welcome a bit and clearly got no actual real creative input from Square's side with how segregated the story is from the movie's

xfactor99

Oct 28, 2017
Given how popular Frozen is, I wouldn't be surprised if Arendelle returns for KH4. Hopefully they have slightly more creative license then.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't wanna see any Disney worlds from KH3 return to be honest at this point.

Well, maybe Monsters Inc. and actually letting you explore the Monster City.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Started playing this recently. Very thankful for the suspend mode on ps4 because wtf at those 1 hour periods of cutscene between save points.

Oct 25, 2017
So I load up my save in the final world

See a blue crystal

Touch it

Suddenly my PS4 bricks. Is stuck for 4 minutes, then says the application needs to be deleted. Then tries to reinstall KH3 (it's on disc)

I reset my PS4, and it is BLOD for a few seconds.

Everything seems fine, I load up KH3... and save corrupted

34 hrs gone.

Thanks Nomura.

I have zero interest to continue with KH3. I guess I can finally play the DMC5 demo

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Caribbean is likely the only KH world I suggest blazing through then going back and exploring the rest of it. Had a lot more fun when I came back and explored after the story stuff. I think it's a great world in all but some of the naval battles where a bit much. The dive bombing ship attack is pure hype and ridiculousness.

The series so far is the buildup. All of it has led to ripping Xehanort and his cronies a new one.

What's the advantage to coming back later? I just got to the open world part so this could potentially help me!

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
What's the advantage to coming back later? I just got to the open world part so this could potentially help me!
Well really the game wants you explore before you finish to level up your ship. I just wanted to finish up the required naval combat battles and I also wanted jack on the team again before I went exploring. There's some good items (not to mention the easiest orichalcum + in the game) scattered throughout the world so it's no issue if you just wanna explore now.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
So I load up my save in the final world

See a blue crystal

Touch it

Suddenly my PS4 bricks. Is stuck for 4 minutes, then says the application needs to be deleted. Then tries to reinstall KH3 (it's on disc)

I reset my PS4, and it is BLOD for a few seconds.

Everything seems fine, I load up KH3... and save corrupted

34 hrs gone.

Thanks Nomura.

I have zero interest to continue with KH3. I guess I can finally play the DMC5 demo
You never made a backup save or backed up to PS+? I can barely imagine that these days.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Started Monstropolis and it's looking like my least favourite world. After Kingdom of Corona being so good the next world was set to dissappoint me, tho.

Like Toy Story (though, I did end up loving that world), I am not the biggest fan of the original movie + I just think the movie doesn't fit AT ALL with Kingdom Hearts, it's just kind of bizarre to see it in this game. Aside from that, I find the music pretty forgettable and same with the setting. Also, while I am not against corridor environmental design like KH2, I thought previous worlds managed to incorporate verticality and exploration greatly. In this world, not so much. But I just started, so who knows?

Hopefully this is the worst world because I am still enjoying it overall.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't beat the gummy ship boss before arendale. Is there a fast easy way to upgrade the ship? Otherwise I guess I'm done