• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Its hilarious to me how many people are angry about the game DARING to have a happy ending.

I know, right? Like, how dare these characters be allowed to be happy and the big evil bad guy gets thoroughly defeated.

It seems you failed to read my post,
the objection was not with the "happy ending" it is how the "happy ending" is not organically built up to in the narrative in anyway. A happy ending is forced for the sake of fan service as opposed to the result of the narrative. Namine just gets to wake up and Riku is there. Hayner, Pence and Olette share sea salt ice cream with Roxas despite never having met him before. Xenanort is just a misunderstood "good guy" and a embrace from the heart/ghost of his supposed dead "friend" is enough for him to stop and go to Kingdom Hearts heaven.

Like, how do you not recognize that is bad writing?

It's okay to like bad things.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
the objection was not with the "happy ending" it is how the "happy ending" is not organically built up to in the narrative in anyway. A happy ending is forced for the sake of fan service as opposed to the result of the narrative. Namine just gets to wake up and Riku is there. Hayner, Pence and Olette share sea salt ice cream with Roxas despite never having met him before. Xenanort is just a misunderstood "good guy" and a embrace from the heart/ghost of his supposed dead "friend" is enough for him to stop and go to Kingdom Hearts heaven.

Those aren't examples of bad writing, though.
Replica Riku specifically recovers a replica body for Namine to use.
The Twilight Town kids specifically became involved because they wanted to help Roxas and learn more about this friend that their digital counterparts made.
Eraqus's appearance and words was enough to convince a dying Xehanort to take the L.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

It's okay to like bad things.

To be fair,

Riku was just there to pick up Namine and bring her to Destiny Islands. There's really nothing to read into there beyond "Riku has a Gummi Ship (probably Sora's) now".

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know, right? Like, how dare these characters be allowed to be happy and the big evil bad guy gets thoroughly defeated.

Yeah like I'll give people the fact that a couple of the reunions specifically Xion were kind of out of nowhere and sort of retconned the previous "rules" I guess they put into place i
Those aren't examples of bad writing, though.
Replica Riku specifically recovers a replica body for Namine to use.
The Twilight Town kids specifically became involved because they wanted to help Roxas and learn more about this friend that their digital counterparts made.
Eraqus's appearance and words was enough to convince a dying Xehanort to take the L.

Basically this. They set all of these points up ahead of time.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Yeah like I'll give people the fact that a couple of the reunions specifically Xion were kind of out of nowhere and sort of retconned the previous "rules" I guess they put into place i

Basically this. They set all of these points up ahead of time.

To be fair, Thatwas the only "Riku gets his body back" tier reunion in KHIII

The other were set up far more nicely

Last edited:

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
This snow world feels like outsourced work modeled after C tier PS2 era level design. I'm skipping all the cutscenes get me the fuck out.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have some confusion and maybe I missed the explanation because I was texting during some of the overwritten dialogue...

So Marluxia seemed reluctant and was having a secret meeting at some point. Seems to be wanting to do his own thing. And then you fight him at the end and he's like still in the organization for some reason but is happy to find his memories? And at one point Xenohort was like (to marluxia) "why do you think I picked you?" But never told us. And Larxene was all "I'm doing this for kicks, but actually it's to be close to someone." meaning Marluxia? But who are these people? And Larxene has an awareness of Marluxia but Marluxia doesn't know who he himself is? Or maybe it was explained my brain glossed over it because it was terrible to listen to. I thought they maybe be the animal mask people in the ending but they didn't reveal that.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
I have some confusion and maybe I missed the explanation because I was texting during some of the overwritten dialogue...

So Marluxia seemed reluctant and was having a secret meeting at some point. Seems to be wanting to do his own thing. And then you fight him at the end and he's like still in the organization for some reason but is happy to find his memories? And at one point Xenohort was like (to marluxia) "why do you think I picked you?" But never told us. And Larxene was all "I'm doing this for kicks, but actually it's to be close to someone." meaning Marluxia? But who are these people? And Larxene has an awareness of Marluxia but Marluxia doesn't know who he himself is? Or maybe it was explained my brain glossed over it because it was terrible to listen to. I thought they maybe be the animal mask people in the ending but they didn't reveal that.

It's a reference to Kingdom Hearts Union X, the mobile game. Marluxia and Larxene's somebodies - Lauriam and Elrena - made their appearances there a while ago. They were Keyblade wielders in the age of fairy tales. Lauriam is also one of the Five Union leaders mentioned in the secret reports.

Currently in KHUX, there's a storyline where Lauriam is trying to uncover the mystery of who killed his younger sister Strelitzia (who fans believe to be the nameless star in the Final World). Elrena is helping him do that.

47037777_506800159812386_2525811312521067033_n.jpg
[/cross]

Canucked

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's a reference to Kingdom Hearts Union X, the mobile game. Marluxia and Larxene's somebodies - Lauriam and Elrena - made their appearances there a while ago. They were Keyblade wielders in the age of fairy tales. Lauriam is also one of the Five Union leaders mentioned in the secret reports.

Currently in KHUX, there's a storyline where Lauriam is trying to uncover the mystery of who killed his younger sister Strelitzia (who fans believe to be the nameless star in the Final World). Elrena is helping him do that.

47037777_506800159812386_2525811312521067033_n.jpg
[/cross]

So then
Marluxia is one of the masked people in the end with the box? They were the leaders right?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
So then
Marluxia is one of the masked people in the end with the box? They were the leaders right?

Those were the original leaders, the ones that served the Master of Masters.

Part of the Master's plan was to have a select group of wielders survive the war and reform the unions under new leadership, these new leadership was selected by the master himself. But one of the 5 selected kids, Strelizia, was murdered, with an impostor taking her place as leader. This is the virus in the plan Xigbar writes about in the reports.

Current leadership looks like this:
Nomura-celebra-el-2%C2%BA-aniversario-de-Kingdom-Hearts-Union-X-con-una-ilustracio%CC%81n.jpg

And yes, That's Ven

Canucked

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Okay, so aside from that I missed something...
When Marluxia was meeting with other org members and Xenahort interrupts and talk about choosing the last four members, including Marluxia, what did he mean? Why did he choose them?

Frankly Marluxia and Luxord are the only interesting org members. But
Luxord's story doesn't seem to have much depth. Maybe it's because he's hunky.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
When Marluxia was meeting with other org members and Xenahort interrupts and talk about choosing the last four members, including Marluxia, what did he mean? Why did he choose them?

Xemnas said the four of them have ties to the ancient Keyblade legacy. With Marluxia and Larxene, we know this is referring to them being Keyblade wielders from the age of fairy tales, so it's safe to assume Demyx and Luxord were as well. I'd assume he was hoping they would regain their connection to the Keyblade at some point so he could fill out their ranks with more wielders, but of course, this didn't happen.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Because of the "Ancient Keyblade Legacy" they have

aka They were alive in the times of the Keyblade War

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm jumping back into this thread to just say how much I've come around on KH3. I beat the Caribbean last night and found it to be my favorite world in the game thus far.

I've also realized that my biggest gripes with KH3 were amplified by the amount of time I could dedicate to the game at one time. Most nights, I only have an hour or two to dedicate to playing something before bed. The nights where that hour was spent watching cutscenes, or getting through tutorial-heavy areas really left me with a bad taste. The nights where I was able to just fight heartless an explore for that hour always left me quite happy.

KH3 is a game best enjoyed in longer play sessions IMO. I'm still not done with the game yet, but I figured I'd throw that advice out there for anyone who hasn't jumped in yet.

Canucked

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Everything I wanted to know was in the mobile game then... I am not loving this story experience. A few final questions, I promise:

How are they still alive and why didn't Xenahort just use only Members from the keyblade war since the Ansem apprentice ones all turned on him.

How did they live so long if time travel works so weird (it works via posession or something? I dont fucking know...)

And what's in the damn box? Why was it such a plot point in three if they aren't going to deal with it?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Everything I wanted to know was in the mobile game then... I am not loving this story experience. A few final questions, I promise:

How are they still alive and why didn't Xenahort just use only Members from the keyblade war since the Ansem apprentice ones all turned on him.

How did they live so long if time travel works so weird (it works via posession or something? I dont fucking know...)

And what's in the damn box? Why was it such a plot point in three if they aren't going to deal with it?

All of those questions will be answered in...
Kingdom Hearts 4....

Maybe.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Please look foward to Kingdom Hearts III.β: Breath Box Battle

Canucked

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
OMG Don't. I have never loved the KH story, but I supposed I'd play another.

As long as it's not on my phone or looks like that phone game.
We don't have answers to any of that other stuff, which is clearly setting up some sort of KH4/new prequel/MoM arc. All this worldline stuff is just gonna make it impossible for any of this to be coherent.

Isn't that great!?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
We don't have answers to any of that other stuff, which is clearly setting up some sort of KH4/new prequel/MoM arc. All this worldline stuff is just gonna make it impossible for any of this to be coherent.

Isn't that great!?

Bluh. Worldlines, just like time traveling Nortboi, were a mistake. Nomura needs to stop.

Canucked

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well I guess since I am done I will summarize my thoughts, because they are more complicated than "bad story".

I enjoyed it a lot during gameplay stuff. Could used about a zillion more bosses and battle gates.
That being said: Anything other than swordplay was useless for me. Never used food or link once and magic only to heal myself the odd time. Didn't even think about using any of the extra stuff unless it popped up on the screen. Thought about doing Zero EXP but didn't want to be annoyed, so I just played with an non-upgraded keyblade (but tried them all out). Started to avoid triggering attractions because they took too long. It's a super easy game but it was fun to play.

The worlds were the perfect size, enough to enjoy them and explore reasonably. And everything looks fantastic.

Story is pretty bad, with confusing character motivations (see my above spoilers) and annoying dialogue. I wish there was a "turn donald's voice off" option. But I do like the characters I've mentioned before and most of the heroes. I'm learning there was a lot connected to the phone game. That's dumb. I didn't even know about the phone game until one of the pre-release threads.

Visually top notch.

Also, Toy Box ruined that song for me. Needed some more music change ups.

But that egg cracking shit. IT IS GARBAGE.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Okay, so I just beat the game and was very happy with the ending, although I didn't understand everything since I only played KH 1&2.

So, my question is, how do I level Keyblades exactly? I just ended up spamming Highwind and the BH6 Nano one to get through the ending stages (that along with prayer and almost dying so often. )

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so I just beat the game and was very happy with the ending, although I didn't understand everything since I only played KH 1&2.

So, my question is, how do I level Keyblades exactly? I just ended up spamming Highwind and the BH6 Nano one to get through the ending stages (that along with prayer and almost dying so often. )

Synthesis shop -> keyblade forge. You can upgrade them using materials you get from meteors in the gummi maps.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Who were the silly people saying the game felt like it had ten final confrontations or something? Lol that couldn't be further from the truth.

If anything this game felt restrained with the final and secret bosses compared to KH1 and 2

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Who were the silly people saying the game felt like it had ten final confrontations or something? Lol that couldn't be further from the truth.

If anything this game felt restrained with the final and secret bosses compared to KH1 and 2
I mean the last four hours are boss rushes and the last boss has like three phases.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This game is pretty boring. Absolutely nothing happening in the story and no reason for Sora and co to even be visiting most of these worlds. Find myself just rushing/mashing through the combat cuz you can't really do all that much.

First game in awhile that I might actually drop before I finish due to being such a slog. I can't figure out why this game took so long...

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah but the boss rushes are to be expected. The final boss was tame compared to the insanity that was KH1 and 2. I was surprised when it ended.
I feel like you only feel that way because of how easy KH3 is compared to 1 and 2

Also I cannot wait for the dlc to come out and complete this game, it desperately needs it

Deleted member 23068

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm jumping back into this thread to just say how much I've come around on KH3. I beat the Caribbean last night and found it to be my favorite world in the game thus far.

I've also realized that my biggest gripes with KH3 were amplified by the amount of time I could dedicate to the game at one time. Most nights, I only have an hour or two to dedicate to playing something before bed. The nights where that hour was spent watching cutscenes, or getting through tutorial-heavy areas really left me with a bad taste. The nights where I was able to just fight heartless an explore for that hour always left me quite happy.

KH3 is a game best enjoyed in longer play sessions IMO. I'm still not done with the game yet, but I figured I'd throw that advice out there for anyone who hasn't jumped in yet.
This is exactly how I feel about this game!

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is pretty boring. Absolutely nothing happening in the story and no reason for Sora and co to even be visiting most of these worlds. Find myself just rushing/mashing through the combat cuz you can't really do all that much.

First game in awhile that I might actually drop before I finish due to being such a slog. I can't figure out why this game took so long...

Without giving out any spoilers, I can at least implore you to stick with it. If you care about the story, you'll get what you're looking for at the back end of the game. Up until then it's Sora's procrastination adventure 2019.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Oh my god i literally do not understand the plot of this game. And when i said literal, it literally means literal

1. So, all 7 guardians of light have assembled. So what are they actually?

2. What is it with kairi and her hazy memory?

3. Is lea supposed to be an enemy? Why did he become a guardian of light too?

4. What are ventus, aqua, and terra?

5. So why is riku's replica with real riku in the beach? Is he the same enemy as in San fransokyo city? Isnt he supposed to be from the past?

Please skip question if it has the answer later

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Oh my god i literally do not understand the plot of this game. And when i said literal, it literally means literal

5. So why is riku's replica with real riku in the beach? Is he the same enemy as in San fransokyo city? Isnt he supposed to be from the past?

That's what happens when you only play KH1 and KH2

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but the boss rushes are to be expected. The final boss was tame compared to the insanity that was KH1 and 2. I was surprised when it ended.

Yeah I'm with you.

Xehanort only had two relatively straightforward phases, three if you count that fight with all the clones. A very far cry from Xemnas having like a million phases and Ansem's eldritch abomination final form. I thought the Keyblade Graveyard bosses were a separate thing.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm done replaying KH3 for now. I've mostly had my fill of the combat, and with work back in full swing for me, I'm kinda not interested in spending my free time learning / redoing all the endgame bosses.
I completed the Lich fight and got up to the Demon Tower boss fight before calling it quits.

I haven't really gained any new insights on the Lich fight. Most of the fights are just about being very aggressive, as you can interrupt all of the Lich's spells with a single strike (and as you might expect, air step works pretty damn well here). An extra tip is to also not manually lock on to the Lich (as in have proper, blue lock on). Using the auto lock on (which is yellow) works better as manually locking on to the Lich will cause you to lock on to his illusions / clones when he starts to run away.

The hardest of the preliminary Lich battles is still the Arendelle one and honestly... I think this might be one of the my favorite boss fights in the game. It's hard to explain, but the level design (with the sprouting pillars), the Lich's AI in this fight specifically (where it'll actively punish you for being too aggressive with Blizzaga > Aeroga) and the generic enemies (which are threatening / can't be ignored, but aren't too obnoxious to deal with) all feel perfect to me. It's a challenging scenario (because you can't just rush in, you have to keep your distance and that's where the Lich is a real threat... but you also need to have situational awareness with the enemies, pillars and the Lich trying to snipe you with Aeroga) but it doesn't feel obnoxiously hard, you just need to be on point and play things smart.

By comparison, I thought the final Lich fight was super annoying. Sure there's no hazards, but the fight just feels really imbalanced. The Lich is back to being easy again (even though he has a full moveset, he rarely uses Blizzaga. My guess is that having all the extra moves makes his AI less consistent overall... and since he doesn't use Blizzaga to dissuade you from going in, bum rushing works like with every other Lich fight) while the Heartless that get spawned are real assholes that'll just fly at you from off-screen and kill you when you're trying to do anything, even when you're in the air.

The Demon Tower fight is... honestly I kinda hate this fight. I even hate the Twilight Town version of this fight. I don't know, I just really, really struggle with fighting this boss, like I have a hard time figuring out what the bosses "tells" are for his attacks. I can figure out "block if it's charging with blue waves" but every other attack will always clip me once or twice though before I can tell what's going on. The attack where Heartless get spat out is like the worst about this. I've had so many times where I'll go "okay he's stopped attacking, it's my turn to do something right?" only to get combo'd to death from full health by flying Heartless.

The real clincher for me though is that you don't even get air stepping as an option in this fight. It's not the only boss to do this, as Toy Story and Tangled's final bosses also can't be air stepped, but I think this is like the one fight where it'd have been fine to keep around. Like disable it for the second phase, sure, but have it enabled for the first phase. It's super annoying to have to dodge that Heartless diarrhea attack by going to the other side of the level (because I have no damn idea how to dodge that consistently otherwise) and then having to chase after the boss again. I don't think it'd be that bad of a change, air stepping is only really kinda cheap for the really slow flying bosses (like the Cube in BH6) and Demon Tower moves pretty damn fast most of the time anyway.

I didn't end up defeating the Demon Tower again. It's not a super hard fight, and I've even cleared it before on Level 1 Proud, I just kinda want to move on from the game at this point.
I do have a list of changes / tweaks / additions I'd like to see in KH3 DLC or a Final Mix but not right now

I'm not gonna say you shoulda played all of the games

But you shoulda played all the games at least watched a recap on YouTube

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Jan 15, 2018
Brazil
After finish the game I really thinks Demyx is
Master of Masters.
1) Demyx and Luxord are the Nobodies of Ancient Keyblade Wielders. So they were alive before the war.
2) Paying attention to the backstory of the Foretellers... MoM and Luxu are the ONLY ones with BLACK COATS.
3) We eventually find out Luxu is Xigbar (BLACK COAT). So it makes sense to think MoM is also hiding in plain sight within the Organization. 4)KH3 secret movie has a black cloaked figure presumably MoM ... but all the organization members are dead or being re-completed except Demyx ... plus we never get to see too much of him during both KH2 or KH3.
Just see this video, they even have similar personalities.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Master of Masters.
1) Demyx and Luxord are the Nobodies of Ancient Keyblade Wielders. So they were alive before the war.
2) Paying attention to the backstory of the Foretellers... MoM and Luxu are the ONLY ones with BLACK COATS.
3) We eventually find out Luxu is Xigbar (BLACK COAT). So it makes sense to think MoM is also hiding in plain sight within the Organization. 4)KH3 secret movie has a black cloaked figure presumably MoM ... but all the organization members are dead or being re-completed except Demyx ... plus we never get to see too much of him during both KH2 or KH3.

That's a really interesting idea!

Would leave a lot of questions regarding why Demyx is subjugated to Xehanort, but it could be possible that the MoM separated his mind/true self and placed it into the black box, leaving wimpy Demyx behind. If anyone were to open the black box, it'd properly resuscitate the Master of Masters

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Master of Masters.

I honestly think it would be really dumb if they did this.
There's already enough Org members secretly running their own schemes behind the scenes, and we already had a "SURPRISE" reveal with Xigbar being Luxu. Having Demyx be the MoM would just be even dumber than the one we already got.

Demyx is just the team loser. That's all there is to it in my book.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think it would be really dumb if they did this.
There's already enough Org members secretly running their own schemes behind the scenes, and we already had a "SURPRISE" reveal with Xigbar being Luxu. Having Demyx be the MoM would just be even dumber than the one we already got.

Demyx is just the team loser. That's all there is to it in my book.
I wouldn't want that for Demyx but HARD disagree on being the team loser. Demyx is a badass! Easily the coolest Organization member :)

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't want that for Demyx but HARD disagree on being the team loser. Demyx is a badass! Easily the coolest Organization member :)
next Union Cross update will reveal that the un-named Moogle-headed friend of your PC is, in fact, a music lover and strums a stringed instrument on the side as a hobby...

tumblr_pn4u9lsyTe1v9acc7_250.png

Nomura: (laughs)

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Having played the game now I can feel confident saying KH3 is the least newbie friendly game in the series. You basically need to have played the four core games to understand the story. Sounds like you only played the first two.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Did anyone who preordered at Amazon receive their $10 Prime credit? I just contacted customer service and they're giving me $10, but it sounds like no one ever got it.