• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
I finally got this game, and I just finished Corona. Great boss fight with an epic track!
The Corona field theme is probably my favorite track in the game. I'm not familiar with the Tangled film, so I don't know if there's a similar song in the movie or the various spin off material. If the KH track is indeed an original piece, then my god!

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
How come there hasn't been a soundtrack release yet?? That's really weird. What's the holdup? Also anyone else disappointed at all the track reusage? I mean, yes, the remixes sound great and elevated, but still, Yoko sure had enough damn time to compose new tracks. The new stuff is all great though.

Does anyone know what the track is called that plays when you fight
Vanitas as Aqua?

Zerokingx

Oct 29, 2017
How come there hasn't been a soundtrack release yet?? That's really weird. What's the holdup? Also anyone else disappointed at all the track reusage? I mean, yes, the remixes sound great and elevated, but still, Yoko sure had enough damn time to compose new tracks. The new stuff is all great though.

Vanitas as Aqua?

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I beat kingdom hearts 3. Can't believe I'm actually typing that. My thoughts are numerous but that secret ending... wtf

Interesting that Shinomura had help for the ost. She didn't solely compose FFXV either, but really surprised to see she's not the sole name for Kingdom Hearts. When are they releasing the ost already?? Don't get the hold up. Gonna have to YouTube pretty much everything heard in the last world, it was basically a huge musical tour de force, especially the final boss theme. Whew.

Last edited:

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I beat kingdom hearts 3. Can't believe I'm actually typing that. My thoughts are numerous but that secret ending... wtf

Interesting that Shinomura had help for the ost. She didn't solely compose FFXV either, but really surprised to see she's not the sole name for Kingdom Hearts. When are they releasing the ost already?? Don't get the hold up. Gonna have to YouTube pretty much everything heard in the last world, it was basically a huge muscle tour de force, especially the final boss theme. Whew.

I got chills with that final boss theme. It's incredible.

The OST for the last part of the game is such a rollercoaster of emotions. They really nailed it.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Vanitas as Aqua?

I think they might just be holding out for the DLC release which is sure to have a few new tracks.

Mos Def

Sep 17, 2019
This is the only game I stopped playing because of the final boss, other than that I really enjoyed every part of it.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Going through the first game currently, this is really rough, I've only played 2 but holy shit did this not age well at all, please don't tell me the other games are like this too.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As I've said, I've already played 2 back on PS2 so I know it's pretty good, I'm talking about the other games (I think they are 3DS ones?).

Oh sorry, my bad. Chain of Memories is a Card-battle based on that plays on the same engine as KH2. It's an acquired taste so your mileage may vary on that one.

Birth by Sleep and Dream Drop Distance were PSP and 3DS games respectively and play similarly to KH2 but you execute various magic and skill using a Deck of commands that have cooldowns. They don't feel dated or as rough as KH1. Wouldn't recommend playing above the Standard difficulty for them though since all the difficulty really does is making the game feel a lot more grindy and less fun.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Finished the first game, that was tough even on normal, the order you play is the same as the games are listed on the choosing menu right?

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
Finished the first game, that was tough even on normal, the order you play is the same as the games are listed on the choosing menu right?

Yes, but with the notable exception being the 358/2 Days movie. That is a recommended watch only AFTER KH2.

Also, your enjoyment of CoM will depend on whether you find the card battle system and make-your-dungeon aspect of the game fun. The original story is probably one of the strongest, but because it takes place between individual floors of the castle, you can also pretty much safely watch the story on Youtube as the Disney worlds are literally recaps of their respective KH1 counterparts, with a "memory twist" included (ie. pure filler).

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
One of your older posts says you've already played 2, so yes, you should follow the order in the menu. But normally, for a new player or if you've completely forgotten 2's story, you would want to watch the 358/2 "film" after you beat KH2 because of massive spoilers.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Bailed on chain after the first set of worlds, couldnt handle the cards anymore, also watched 358/2 and and wow that was great, I'll skip 2 since I've played it like 3 times and know pretty much everything in it.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bailed on chain after the first set of worlds, couldnt handle the cards anymore, also watched 358/2 and and wow that was great, I'll skip 2 since I've played it like 3 times and know pretty much everything in it.

That's fair. Chain of Memories is really divisive with its gameplay. I like it but I can't tolerate playing on anything above Beginner lmao.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Chain of Memories has one of the best stories, villains, and boss fights in the series. Too bad it's all behind horrible worlds with a stupid card system.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm guessing BBS timeline and why I'm controlling a Roxas like dude will be explained as I go through it right?

Chain of Memories has one of the best stories, villains, and boss fights in the series. Too bad it's all behind horrible worlds with a stupid card system.
Does it though? Most of the story is just rehashed 1.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing BBS timeline and why I'm controlling a Roxas like dude will be explained as I go through it right?

I mean, I'm basing this on how my 13 year old self felt in 2004 so admittedly I could be wrong, but I thought the mystery of the organization and its goals coupled with the members present in that game was the last time I felt a game in the series had a good story. Shrug. It was the beginning of the end, at the same time.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
The stuff in the doors is rehash, but the things that happen in the Castle proper are the real story and the set up for KH2. It's not terribly important stuff, but some of those characters do show up post KH2 and Castle Oblivion will come up again.

Maybe watch the cutscenes online? They're not long. Either way, whether you do or don't, you will be confused down the road just the same lol.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Finished BBS, this was probably their best game after KH 2, though I can see shit that don't make sense is starting to show up.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Finished BBS, this was probably their best game after KH 2, though I can see shit that don't make sense is starting to show up.
Yeah, BBS is where it starts to earn its reputation as the game series with the most confusing as hell story.

Have you fully completed BBS by the way, or just one of the characters?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What is even going on in Dream Drop Distance? I don't understand why Nomura made a thousand games to play before 3.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Not sure what to think of the end, I love it and hate it at the same time, not sure if I'm ready for 20 more years of KH games and then maybe getting a conclusion.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
I recently came across a video showing
the Ansem, Xemnas and Xehanort fight
and seem to have no recollection of it.

Did I just forget altogether or can it be avoided?

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
So I finally came back and beat the game. Holy shit it just did not know when to end. I kept hoping the final boss would happen but it was just endless fight after fight at the end. I enjoyed the game but it definitely didn't feel like the conclusion I hoped for way back when. Definitely missed the FF gang, Traverse Town/Radiant Garden, and I was bummed Kairi still didn't do anything but be a damsel in distress. The worlds were cool but I would've liked seeing more classic ones. I really liked the Tangled and Pirates worlds.

Despite my disappointment with several things, I still got emotional seeing what happened to everyone after the final battle. This saga has been years in the making and it was nice seeing a generally happy ending... would've liked something different for Sora. The epilogue came out of nowhere though? I didn't play the game with the mask people and although I did read up on what that's all about, benching the game for a while means I don't remember lol. And the cameo from the one character I do know just made me even more confused. Honestly, I would've rather they left the sequel bait out and just let the series rest for a bit before rebooting it.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still curious about the DLC, but, frankly, my excitment for this series has never been so low.
And they treated the girls so badly... Including Maleficent, one of the most powerful and dangerous Disney villain, reduced to B-plots and without any charm, stuck in "aloof mode" whereas she could have been quite sarcastic. I mean, look at her introduction in Sleeping Beauty. KH's version of Maleficent is bland, uninspired, uninteresting, and it somehow drives me madder than how Kairy was fridged. Also, her character model is ugly.
I really want her to take central stage again. They hinted it could be the case again at the end of KH3, but, frankly, I don't trust their narrative skills.

Last edited:

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys, without reading too much of the posts above I figured this is the best place to ask.

A few months back I started going through the series and I am currently up to Birth By Sleep. Overall I'm enjoying the series, even if the ongoing plot hinges mostly on a lot of people making a lot of really stupid decisions. But hey, I guess there is something fun about it.

However, I currently have two questions regarding the approach to catching up to the series

a) The issue with X. I understand that the movie that's featured in 2.8 compilation is only the companion piece to the browser game that was later adapted into an iOS game? Is the iOS game worth playing? How long is it? If it's not playing, what's the best way to catch up on the plot - reading up summary on one of KH wikis or what?

b) How to best catch up on story of Birth By Sleep? Watching cinematics on youtube? I guess that this is going to be a bit controversial since BBS seems to be generally liked by the fanbase, but I think it's a disaster and I lost any will to finish it. Don't get me wrong, the combat system is pretty good, the command system works well and the variety of tools at your disposal is great. However, I am currently at final Terra boss and Terra's story was terrible (there's making a stupid decision like a number of other characters and there's being as gullible as Terra), world design/selection is utterly uninteresting and the boss design is abysmal. Terra's final boss is literally one of the worst designed bosses that I can think of like holy shit it's so bad - and I thought Braig and Zack were bad. I just want to continue with the series but I don't see any sense in pushing myself into another painful 20 hours with BBS, my frustration vastly outweighs any positive aspects of the game.

I would be very thankful for answers, especially for the latter one since that's the game I'm currently at.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Hi guys, without reading too much of the posts above I figured this is the best place to ask.

A few months back I started going through the series and I am currently up to Birth By Sleep. Overall I'm enjoying the series, even if the ongoing plot hinges mostly on a lot of people making a lot of really stupid decisions. But hey, I guess there is something fun about it.

However, I currently have two questions regarding the approach to catching up to the series

a) The issue with X. I understand that the movie that's featured in 2.8 compilation is only the companion piece to the browser game that was later adapted into an iOS game? Is the iOS game worth playing? How long is it? If it's not playing, what's the best way to catch up on the plot - reading up summary on one of KH wikis or what?

b) How to best catch up on story of Birth By Sleep? Watching cinematics on youtube? I guess that this is going to be a bit controversial since BBS seems to be generally liked by the fanbase, but I think it's a disaster and I lost any will to finish it. Don't get me wrong, the combat system is pretty good, the command system works well and the variety of tools at your disposal is great. However, I am currently at final Terra boss and Terra's story was terrible (there's making a stupid decision like a number of other characters and there's being as gullible as Terra), world design/selection is utterly uninteresting and the boss design is abysmal. Terra's final boss is literally one of the worst designed bosses that I can think of like holy shit it's so bad - and I thought Braig and Zack were bad. I just want to continue with the series but I don't see any sense in pushing myself into another painful 20 hours with BBS, my frustration vastly outweighs any positive aspects of the game.

I would be very thankful for answers, especially for the latter one since that's the game I'm currently at.

Terra is the worst part of BBS
It gets significantly better when you play with the other characters who are directly affected by Terra's idiocy.

Like night and day

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017

Since the story is ongoing, I don't think even the wiki has an up-to-date summary right now. I'd recommend not to bother playing the game and just watch videos.

Start with damos279's recaps first, think there's 3 in total? Then watch the cutscenes following where he leaves off, and tune in once a month for new story updates. KHInsider and Everglow are the two main channels with translated cutscenes. I personally prefer KHI's since their translations are better and they cut out most of the gameplay, but Everglow's are also very popular.

Last edited:

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm still curious about the DLC, but, frankly, my excitment for this series has never been so low.
And they treated the girls so badly... Including Maleficent, one of the most powerful and dangerous Disney villain, reduced to B-plots and without any charm, stuck in "aloof mode" whereas she could have been quite sarcastic. I mean, look at her introduction in Sleeping Beauty. KH's version of Maleficent is bland, uninspired, uninteresting, and it somehow drives me madder than how Kairy was fridged. Also, her character model is ugly.
I really want her to take central stage again. They hinted it could be the case again at the end of KH3, but, frankly, I don't trust their narrative skills.

Seems the DLC is going to fix all that by doing a do-over with the final battle since Sora seems to be using the power of waking to save Kairi but going back in time where everyone has to do the final battle without Sora.

Also we're getting playable (Remind Spoilers)
Xion, Kairi and Aqua with Sora and Kairi fighting MX together (you can choose who tpplay as between Sora and Kairi). A