• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I know this has been beat to death 1 million times, maybe even a few times myself, lol.

But, I was gifted this game for my birthday but I have never played a KH game. Since this was gifted from my wife, I would like her to see me playing it sometime soon so I was wondering, is there a vetted video that can explain the series up to this point?

I have seen a lot of recommendations here and I was kind of hoping there was a bonafide, vetted video that will get me as close as I can to understanding the series without having played anything.

I am sorry if this has been addressed over and over and over - I actually even asked before but that was pages ago but I forget.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Finished up the Caribbean this morning. That and Toybox are the only worlds I've really enjoyed so far - and even then, the first half of Caribbean is bad

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I know this has been beat to death 1 million times, maybe even a few times myself, lol.

But, I was gifted this game for my birthday but I have never played a KH game. Since this was gifted from my wife, I would like her to see me playing it sometime soon so I was wondering, is there a vetted video that can explain the series up to this point?

I have seen a lot of recommendations here and I was kind of hoping there was a bonafide, vetted video that will get me as close as I can to understanding the series without having played anything.

I am sorry if this has been addressed over and over and over - I actually even asked before but that was pages ago but I forget.
There's an in-game Memory Archive you can access from the main menu that has videos that should explain everything to you.

Dec 25, 2018
what's the mp trick?
Basically in KH3 there is something called MP combo thrift and endless magic from the lucky emblem accessory (Mickey clasp)

Endless magic lets you infinitely cast magic without a finisher, MP combo thrift lowers the magic cost per cast. Essentially they are starting with fire, and get to a point that Firaga is worth 1 mp to cast, basically allowing over 100+ magic spells without any consequence. Throw in MP thrift which reduced magic cost by 20% a cast, you can easily get 130+ firaga casts

With MP galvanize, which makes you have more powerful magic per cast, this can literally be the most powerful thing in the game.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
I really want The Incredibles in the next game for a Syndrome/Omnidroid boss,
That's not going to happen with Pixar involved. They don't like it when KH mixes with the canon.
Nomura explains that his vision for Kingdom Hearts has always been that Sora and friends canonically arrive in Disney's worlds. That didn't suit the Toy Story team. "When I first brought this to Pixar and I asked about doing that, they were like, 'Actually, no. The Toy Story story is complete. It's a complete package the way it is, and we can't really change that.' I told them if I'm going to do this in the Kingdom Hearts way, then it's going to become a case of, 'Actually, Sora and his friends did come into the world.'"

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
This is the Monstropolis boss right? If so
there are a bunch of options. As far as trying to evade the rush attack from the air: you can use a shotlock to try and prolong your air time with its shooting animation (shotlocks also make you invincible for a brief period of time so that helps). I think the safest option might be to use the Tangled keyblade's regular shotlock; it targets quickly and it also heals you (so even if you mess up the timing, you might be able to tank the hit with the extra health).

If you have the Olympic keyblade, you can use its extra form, Counter Shield, to safely block the attack. When it's in Counter Shield form (which needs to be activated first), it has an omni-directional block that absorbs all attacks and lets you counterattack afterwards. It has a standard counterattack, but it also has a very, very powerful counterattack if you use it when it's glowing blue (though that requires you to absorb a lot of attacks, and you could run out of time before reaching that level, so I would recommend sticking to the normal counter attack)

You can also try guarding it normally (and also using a guarding attack skill afterwards, if you have one equipped). Obviously that's a bit awkward to do (because you need to account for your height, your direction vs. direction of the boss' attack, and also the enemy's attack timing) though I did it a couple of times when I got caught in the air.

The best answer really is to avoid jumping unnecessarily (it's not a flying boss, so no need to be in the air so much) and to also learn the rush attack timing so that you can guard / guard attack it every time. A trick to learning the guard timing is the blob's head bobbing. If it's head is still bobbing up, it's too early to press guard; if it's started to bob down though, it's probably about to rush and you can use guard then. After three rushes, it'll spit out a fireball. I can't quite remember the timing on that, but the attack animation is different from when it's rushing. If you're feeling bold, you can add the guard follow ups (for extra damage).

It's very simple to guard, as long as you get comfortable with the timing.

(Also, fair warning: in a later phase the boss will do four rush attacks before spitting out a fireball (instead of three + fireball). Don't panic when he does that fourth rush attack, it's the same pattern but with four rushes instead of three, just remember that)

Unless I'm mistaken about what boss this refers to, these should help.
Thats really helpful thank you

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I mostly play linear action games, and I was also not frustrated, per se. Again, the core of my complaint lies in how visually bland and indistinct the level is. If I am not engaged, I will not want to play. If I have to stay glued to the map to remember which direction I came from and where I should be headed, the level is not well designed. If I legitimately can't tell which nooks and crannies of the level are explorable just by looking at them, then the visual language of that level is off. Hell, if the map is more interesting to look at than the level art, somebody screwed up somewhere.

When I say I got lost, I'm speaking in relative terms. I always knew where I was going in other levels, except when I wasn't supposed to. In Arendelle, a level which does not deal in such intentional obfuscation, I had to take a minute to reorient myself a handful of times. I am highlighting that as a failure of level design.

Ah I see. That makes more sense.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked, but I've a question regarding the "Let It Go" scene. Was that scene created from the ground up in Unreal Engine, mirroring the scene from the movie as closely as possible, or were they able to import assets from the film into Unreal Engine to help with the design process?

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
The person that they got to play Not-Johnny Depp in the Pirates world is doing a good job. Huge improvement from the VA in II.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They said they wanted to see an original story made for Kingdom Hearts and not just an adaption, we can appreciate that on the other end Disney had very strict guidelines with some of the worlds im not sure they are bothered by 'canon' but they rather help create an original storyline with Square Enix
Tells me the problem with Disney worlds in KH right now isn't Disney/Pixar but Nomura. If you have Disney/Pixar willing to help you to create original stories for their properties for your game, but you opt for the shallow retelling that's basically a bore and has been since KH2, I don't even know what to say. That's been one of the weakest elements of these games dating back to KH2 onward and unfortunately it's actually the biggest chunk of these games. The fact that Nomura has Disney saying they're happy with original stories, and would probably no doubt even assist in them creatively since they obviously care about their properties, yet he seems he needs to have Sora basically go through the motions of the movie demonstrates a lack of creative vision on his part.

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, this Frozen world was BAAAAAAAAD especially the "It's........fucking nothing!" climax where our characters don't even interact with the Frozen cast at all. What a bizarre story arc & huge momentum killer. It took three days to push myself to finally slog through it. At least the boss battle was fun though - glad it's over!

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed.

But then you hear Elizabeth and they cancel each other out.
Yeah, I just started this world and was happy with his dialogue and then she started talking lksdfjl.

Kinda disappointed the monstrosity that was Aerith's voice in KHII didn't get a chance to show up this go around!

xillyriax

Game Test Analyst
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California, USA
Sorry if this has been asked, but I've a question regarding the "Let It Go" scene. Was that scene created from the ground up in Unreal Engine, mirroring the scene from the movie as closely as possible, or were they able to import assets from the film into Unreal Engine to help with the design process?
Most likely is was done in Maya and inserted into the game. There's an image floating around of the Let It Go scene which has the Arnold watermark (a renderer in Maya) left in the game.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching some back cover cutscenes and MoM sounds like such an obnoxious douchebag. Not at all what I was expecting. I feel like they're trying to make him lolsofunny and charming but he's just a dickhead.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching some back cover cutscenes and MoM sounds like such an obnoxious douchebag. Not at all what I was expecting. I feel like they're trying to make him lolsofunny and charming but he's just a dickhead.
No, he's just supposed to be a dickhead. He basically sets the Foretellers up to fail.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017

CoolImpeccableBellsnake-size_restricted.gif

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Actually Pirates world in general is a HUGE improvement from Kingdom Hearts II. This might be my favorite world yet.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Back Cover was hilarious to me; I loved those bits among the kinda ehhh actual Chi stuff.

Coming off watching the Chi cutscenes in the day or so before, they build the Master of Masters up as this mysterious leader that was such a great person, but questionably left them so alone when this problem was brewing... and no, nope, it was actually just that he was a complete dick in such a hilariously obvious way, with this weird amount of joking charisma that's totally out of place for the Union leaders' seriousness. It made the movie worth watching.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I guess but what I mean is that it feels like he's supposed to be a likeable and humorous villain but he's just aggravating to me.

Look at this. Fuck this guy.
Well, yeah. He's a weirdo. He doesn't seem to take anything seriously and that constantly disarms the foretellers. No one knows what his game is.

But it will be incredibly satisfying to punch him in the dick.

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most annoying things in this game was when the game straight up tells you to go to the wrong place in Toy Story world.

Agreed.

But then you hear Elizabeth and they cancel each other out.

Yup, I got to that world and was kind of impressed that Jack didn't sound like garbage this time. And then Elizabeth talked

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Are there any additional steps I'm missing to unlock
Omega Ship battle?

I did the 4 sides of the building and it showed a clip of the top but nothing appeared and there's nothing up there at all.

Do I need to beat
Tornado bastard guy
first?

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say KH2FM had it worse too. There was way more synth grinding and forced Atlantica sections.

both final mixes made getting the ultimate weapon no fun. While both added great things they really messed with any fun the end game had in getting the weapon. Plus I will never forgive them for ruining oblivion.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Are there any additional steps I'm missing to unlock
Omega Ship battle?

I did the 4 sides of the building and it showed a clip of the top but nothing appeared and there's nothing up there at all.

Do I need to beat
Tornado bastard guy
first?

did you do the guy underneath the ship......thats the one i forgot as well.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
I'm assuming Disney fucked hardcore with the frozen world right? Otherwise that was bizarre.
That's kind of what I'm thinking. I imagine since Frozen is Disney's big merchandise property, they wanted minimal interaction with original stuff. That would explain why any time they did a scene from the film, SDG would be regulated to just watching it play out.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Army dude tells you to go to the baby store at one point and there's nothing in the baby store but a bunch of heartless. You're actually supposed to go to the kid place across from it

Oh... that. Yeah, I guess? The doll store did not click to me as a "baby store" lol...

"Babies and Toddlers" is the top floor section. You can see it listed as such on posters and maps in the store and when you go to the kid korral it even says "Babies and Toddlers: Outdoors" for that section. So I kinda just never had a problem with this and went around the top floor and saw a window. Then Woody commented on it.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Nomura and friends really need to lobby for more Pixar stuff in the next game. It's obvious the Pixar guys put in real effort had a lot of fun integrating their stuff into the crazy ass KH plot. Like night and day with the proper Disney worlds.

My guess is that the Frozen guys were just too cool and successful to taint their amazing property with filthy animus.

But the Pixar team likes fun.

Or maybe Disney just values FROZEN more

both final mixes made getting the ultimate weapon no fun. While both added great things they really messed with any fun the end game had in getting the weapon. Plus I will never forgive them for ruining oblivion.

Ultima Weapon in KH 1 Final Mix took me MONTHS