• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Army dude tells you to go to the baby store at one point and there's nothing in the baby store but a bunch of heartless. You're actually supposed to go to the kid place across from it

But you access the Kid Korral through a window in Babies and Toddlers: Outdoors, as Wrestleman said. IIRC it's still not explained as clearly as it could be due to the section name being reused with a subtitle, but I don't think it was outright wrong?

I feel like it definitely said the Outdoors bit in the objective on the pause menu, at least.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
damn, the ride is ending here but I have a gaping question here.

Xehanort didn't seem like he was really all that evil. It seems like he wanted to purge all the darkness of the world and everything because of the first keyblade war. He seemed like a more open ended evil at the end than a pure one compared to the like of his darkness counterpart ansem. However of course Xehanort was going about the wrong way of purging all the worlds of darkness and returning everything to their original states.

Either way it was a very nice ending to a long, long Xehanort saga........to me this whole story wasn't about Sora....but about Xehanort and master Eraqus.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
damn, the ride is ending here but I have a gaping question here.

Xehanort didn't seem like he was really all that evil. It seems like he wanted to purge all the darkness of the world and everything because of the first keyblade war. He seemed like a more open ended evil at the end than a pure one compared to the like of his darkness counterpart ansem. However of course Xehanort was going about the wrong way of purging all the worlds of darkness and returning everything to their original states.

Either way it was a very nice ending to a long, long Xehanort saga........to me this whole story wasn't about Sora....but about Xehanort and master Eraqus.

Yup, he thinks he's the only one Badass enough to handle the power of Darkness

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
ok, someone explain the damn extra scenes

Ok, so Xigbar was Luxu this whole time.....not a huge ordeal. But it seems the next phase is going to be 7 pieces of darkness and probably 13 warriors of light im guessing to start the 3rd keyblade war?

Also was that Somnus I heard with riku and sora in the city? I really don't get what Nomura wanted to do there for the "Reconnect kingdom hearts" BS

edit: nvm thats not Riku.....that most likely is Yozora hence the name of the video and why it looks like Insomnia

xfactor99

Oct 28, 2017
That's kind of what I'm thinking. I imagine since Frozen is Disney's big merchandise property, they wanted minimal interaction with original stuff. That would explain why any time they did a scene from the film, SDG would be regulated to just watching it play out.

You mentioned that Monsters Inc. had many more guidelines than Toy Story. Was that the one that had perhaps the most guidelines or was there one that had even more?

Tetsuya Nomura: Frozen had the most.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/tetsuya-nomura-kingdom-hearts-3-interview

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
ok, someone explain the damn extra scenes

Ok, so Xigbar was Luxu this whole time.....not a huge ordeal. But it seems the next phase is going to be 7 pieces of darkness and probably 13 warriors of light im guessing to start the 3rd keyblade war?

Also was that Somnus I heard with riku and sora in the city? I really don't get what Nomura wanted to do there for the "Reconnect kingdom hearts" BS

edit: nvm thats not Riku.....that most likely is Yozora hence the name of the video and why it looks like Insomnia

Eraqus had one piece representing Sora. So Sora against the Foretellers, probably. At this point it's still a huge shoulder shrug.

That secret ending is in Tokyo, specifically the one from The World Ends With You. Riku was there, but so is Yozora for some reason. And yeah, that was a reference to Somnus. Not the exact notes but close enough to be an obvious nod.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
Forgot there's an OT for 3. Want like to quote myself from comm-ot if ok
I want to post about two topics but don't want to double-post, so this one will be bit longer:

1) Unpopular opinion: I think that the story and scenario writing of the KH-series is good (besides all this time travel, light vs dark, hearts and bodies talk) , because of the the following reasons:
  • It's one of the few piece of media where someone can talk stuff about "friends are my power", "being consumed by darkness", "light defeats darkness" and gets me emotional
  • It achieves that I care for every single character of this huge ensemble.
  • The devs are skilled enough to use imaginaries and symbolic in impactful ways
  • Details are not being ignored and are getting referenced even after nearly 2 decades
  • The devs know exactly how to effectively use music to increase the emotional impact of scenes
  • They devs are good in using mystery and foreeshadowing things and are able to engage a whole fandom in discussions and theories between titles.
  • And more

Because all of that, yes I consider myself that the writing is good.

2) Now few days after I reached the ending, I started to read some impressions, and there are some statements (espacially on Era of all places) that annoy me quite a bit. There are many people that don't like the story/gameplay and think KH is stupid, and that is totally fine and normal. I completely understand that it is not for everyone. However, some people are attacking people that love the games by implying thinks like that "fans haven't 'grown out' of it yet", are "wired differently", "don't know what good is" and more. And some are definitely finding enjoyment when the series gets shit on by reviewers or youtubers. I just don't understand why. Why do they have a problem that this series is loved by some? Is it because that they feel insecure that they can't enjoy the series or try to talk into themselves that they are not missing out something? You see many people agreeing reviewers that the game deserves a 1of10 because of the 'shitty' story. But they don't comment a single word about the gameplay. KH is a gameplay-heavy series and basically the meat. If you think the whole packet is an 1, then it's fine. If you think KH is an 1 without knowing how the gameplay actually is and just watching some story cutscenes on YouTube, then imo that's not ok.
And then there's the think about the story continuation. Apparently some people don't understand the concept of sequels? Of course it is difficult to get into the story if you have not play the previous games. But where's the issue? This is normal to all long-going series. Do people want that long-going video game series with story continuations don't exist per se? Why should that not be a thing? The KH series was able to build up a fandom that follows the continuation and enjoys the story developments. But apparently some people want to take this enjoyment away from the existing fans and propose that every KH-game should basically be a soft-reboot? But why? This series is clearly not for them then.

That are my 2 cents.
For all games (and other media) in general i've the feeling that many are too focused on the negative/flaw aspects and forget sometimes the positive/strong elements

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Finding these blueprint fragments is impossible. What the fuck. Why would you mark blue and pink crystals with the same symbol on the map, while the blue ones respawn? holy fuck

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Even though it's kinda grown on me after a few listens, I have to say that Face My Fears isn't even the slightest bit memorable. Like I'm really good at memorizing songs but even though I just listened to it yesterday, I don't have the slightest recollection of what Face My Fears sounds like. But I can easily playback Simple and Clean, Sanctuary, and even Don't Think Twice in full in my head.

ChaserX

Nov 1, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm all for a higher difficulty for the game, but then I see that generally the people playing the game are the type to mash attack even during a boss's attack phase and then I feel conflicted. Would a higher difficulty even change the way these people play? Or would it just cause them to say stuff like "this is annoying/unfair" while they never actually change their play style?

I still want a higher difficulty though.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for a higher difficulty for the game, but then I see that generally the people playing the game are the type to mash attack even during a boss's attack phase and then I feel conflicted. Would a higher difficulty even change the way these people play? Or would it just cause them to say stuff like "this is annoying/unfair" while they never actually change their play style?

KH2:FM made a difficult but fair game, we want the same thing.

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why but this game reminds me of Nier. Perhaps the transition from cutscene to combat, the intense bosses, I don't know.

What I do know, however, is how happy and colorful the game is. Sora smiles everytime he enters something (a mech, a roller coaster, etc...) and everything is so bright! It's a nice thing to have whenever you're feeling down.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Tells me the problem with Disney worlds in KH right now isn't Disney/Pixar but Nomura. If you have Disney/Pixar willing to help you to create original stories for their properties for your game, but you opt for the shallow retelling that's basically a bore and has been since KH2, I don't even know what to say. That's been one of the weakest elements of these games dating back to KH2 onward and unfortunately it's actually the biggest chunk of these games. The fact that Nomura has Disney saying they're happy with original stories, and would probably no doubt even assist in them creatively since they obviously care about their properties, yet he seems he needs to have Sora basically go through the motions of the movie demonstrates a lack of creative vision on his part.

It's not Nomura. What happens within Disney and Pixar worlds is up to the those movies' teams.

While there's obviously a certain amount of movement between projects, both Disney and Pixar keep teams of animators intact after their films have been released – and those teams all have a say on their work being repurposed for the game.

As Nomura points out, those teams can have different takes on the same issue. Take storylines. Some worlds in the game – like Tangled – reimagine the original movie's plotline, where others – Toy Story, for instance – involve plots set in between the existing movies. Those decisions seem to come down mainly to the creators involved:

"For each different world we had to deal with a different team," explains Nomura, "and [plotting] was largely down to what their feelings were on what they wanted to happen. There were some teams that were like, 'Ooh, if you make a new story, you're going to kind of ruin the world that we created,' whereas there were teams, like Toy Story, who said to us, 'Well, we can't have it in that world, but if you want to make a new story, that's fine.'"

Even within studios, teams could be markedly different in what they wanted from their own Kingdom Hearts world: "From team to team," Nomura continues, "the kind of colour, or the way they did things, the feel was quite different. For example, Toy Story and Monsters, Inc., those two teams were completely different from each other."

It's not Nomura's fault.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the Frozen world itself, just the story was so underwhelming, but I will be contrarian and rank it among my top 3 worlds of this game

Dec 25, 2018
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/kingdom-hearts-3-creator-discusses-dealing-with-ex/1100-6459917/

You've grown up as a person and as a designer alongside the players and it's been so long since the last Kingdom Hearts was released. How has your perspective on making the game changed over time? Do you still have that passion for it? Or is it just like you feel more of a responsibility to people to make it and end it?

I'm getting older now, so my body really can't take all that difficulty anymore. When I was younger I was definitely more aggressive and I was the one pulling everyone forward, but now there's a lot more energetic staff around me who are more aggressive, so I feel like I'm more like a sage now. Like I'm in the sidelines just telling people what to do. The Kingdom Hearts series has become a huge title nowadays and back then it was more like I was making it secretively in the corner, but now that a lot more people are involved I do feel that it's not my title anymore, it's everyone's title.And just talking about all this … It actually kind of makes me really sad.

I was making it secretively in the corner, but now that a lot more people are involved I do feel that it's not my title anymore, it's everyone's title.

That made me really sad.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/kingdom-hearts-3-creator-discusses-dealing-with-ex/1100-6459917/

You've grown up as a person and as a designer alongside the players and it's been so long since the last Kingdom Hearts was released. How has your perspective on making the game changed over time? Do you still have that passion for it? Or is it just like you feel more of a responsibility to people to make it and end it?

I'm getting older now, so my body really can't take all that difficulty anymore. When I was younger I was definitely more aggressive and I was the one pulling everyone forward, but now there's a lot more energetic staff around me who are more aggressive, so I feel like I'm more like a sage now. Like I'm in the sidelines just telling people what to do. The Kingdom Hearts series has become a huge title nowadays and back then it was more like I was making it secretively in the corner, but now that a lot more people are involved I do feel that it's not my title anymore, it's everyone's title.And just talking about all this … It actually kind of makes me really sad.

I was making it secretively in the corner, but now that a lot more people are involved I do feel that it's not my title anymore, it's everyone's title.

That made me really sad.

He really loves his baby franchise....

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
The ending of the game is way better than the rest of the game. I'm really enjoying it but wow how much I really want to play as Aqua and Terra...

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
i am now in Kingdom of Corona...as a first time player of the series i am conflicted about the game so far...this fight, cutscene, fight, cutscene stuff gets so boring after a while, often you watch things in cutscenes making you go "i wanna play that ffs!".

Then, to me the story is just not gripping me, sure this is meant as a final game of a long running series so i am not invested in those characters like others but somehow the whole presentation is often very long winded and flat out boring too.

the cutscenes often have no music which make them more boring as they could be and this world by world approach leads to hit and miss moments if you don´t like the world you have to slog through it and hope the next one will be better.

All in all i am mixed on the game at the moment, story is not really gripping me and the fights are very simplistic, but with annoying moments like hits from offscreen which keep Sora pummeling and locked in this getting hit animation...it doesn´t feels as good as it could somehow.

Gotta play a little farther and hope the next world will be better, this Corona kingdom is sedative so far

edit: the controls are strange too...jumping on circle? attacking on X? dodge on square? who thought that this is a good idea?

Last edited:

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
i am now in Kingdom of Corona...as a first time player of the series i am conflicted about the game so far...this fight, cutscene, fight, cutscene stuff gets so boring after a while, often you watch things in cutscenes making you go "i wanna play that ffs!".

Then, to me the story is just not gripping me, sure this is meant as a final game of a long running series so i am not invested in those characters like others but somehow the whole presentation is often very long winded and flat out boring too.

the cutscenes often have no music which make them more boring as they could be and this world by world approach leads to hit and miss moments if you don´t like the world you have to slog through it and hope the next one will be better.

All in all i am mixed on the game at the moment, story is not really gripping me and the fights are very simplistic, but with annoying moments like hits from offscreen which keep Sora pummeling and locked in this getting hit animation...it doesn´t feels as good as it could somehow.

Gotta play a little farther and hope the next world will be better, this Corona kingdom is sedative so far

Should've gotten KH II Final Mix instead. Gameplay is better there.

Oct 25, 2017

Corona is the best world so I think you're out of luck. You might like Pirates.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only 4 1/2 hours in and I feel this game is insanely shallow.

It looks extremely pretty without much substance.

What's the deal with the Magic? Why isn't there a Oomph to it? Every time I pop off a fire or water spell at a heartless it looks at Sora like "Really!?!? Ok Harry, Thank you, next" Magic feels like a huge letdown so far.

That very first Riku and Mickey scene after Hercs world. There was no flow to that conversation. It wasn't even a conversation to begin with. It felt like Mickey and Riku got together before the cutscene happened and agree to not interrupt each other as they read out their lines thus that small pause inbetween their lines when the conversation switches between Riku and Mickey. It was weird and kind of funny.

I find this endearing but you can tell a Japanese company made this game with the settle things the NPC's and characters do like bowing 🙇🏽 and how Meg stood at the bottom of the steps with both her hands over her chest/heart area like a anime girl waiting for the main character to show up. It just threw me off and made me smile.

Dialog = yucky and funny at the same time.

Combat is you seeing some really cool shit on your screen but all you're doing is tapping X for the most part. I've had no need for Square button yet.

I'm in Traverse Town (I believe that's the name of it) and I'm amaze you can't run on some of the roof tops that are right in the middle of town. That really annoyed me for some reason. Those invisible walls are pointless and took away from my fun of just running threw the city acting a fool.

Other then that it's a really small complaints I have that I think will hold this game back from truly being great.

You can't interact with the KHIII world from what I've seen on a meaningful level like a Breath of the Wild. Like I really wanted to put out one of those small fires in Herculeas world with my water spell but you can't. To be clear I wasn't expecting worlds I could've done that in.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I've cleared a few more bosses. I think most of nu-Org 13 is done, because:
Luxord, Marlene, Marluxia, Xigbar, Replica Riku, Saix and Vanitas have all been fought. (I'm not sure what's going on with Xion and Terra-Xehanort, I assume Xion defected and Terra is back to normal? Whatever, I fought all of them at one point).

The Saix and Xion fight was as troublesome as I expected (I had a few attempts where Xion's collateral damage killed me while I was focused on Saix) so I just Simba'd through it since I correctly assumed it wasn't a full fight. Fighting with Axel and Kairi is pretty cool, though I wish I had a chance to see what Kairi's moveset was like (all I could tell was that she had Curaga, and her idle animated sorta resembled Sora's). The following Saix fight ended up being a complete joke; Roxas straight up just solo'd Saix all by himself (due to his absurd damage and his super aggressive AI)... not that I'm complaining.

Vanitas and Terra-Xehanort was another really annoying fight. It had the same exact issue with the RRiku and Xigbar fight (where if both characters get off their desperation attacks at the wrong you time, you just die). Compared to Roxas, Ventus and Aqua's AI were pretty shoddy which made the fight even more annoying (thinking back on it, Axel and Kairi seemed pretty lousy as partners too, though that could have been Saix and Xion's AoE strikes being too much for the AI). Well, at least it's over. I think I have only Xehanort, Xemnas and SoDansem left to properly fight (there might be others, I can't really tell from all the skipped cutscenes).
Airstepping enemies is amazing when you remove Sonic Slash and Sonic Cleave.

Yeah, it's really, really useful, especially for flying enemies / bosses. You can do really cool / dumb sequences like fire three Firagas, airstep to a boss (and reach the boss BEFORE the Firagas do) and then go ham. And if it's a boss that can be juggled, it gets even sillier, as you just can use magic from far range, wait for a successful hit / launch and then you just swoop in for a free combo.

Honestly I think the mechanic might be a little bit busted.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So yeah, just started. I watched the 5 episodes before-hand, having not ever played a KH game. Am I close at all with this?
There was a KeyBlade War so many years ago and the villain has been trying to recreate it using dark and light. The darkness is Organization 13 with is 13 representations of the villain? Sora is in a deep sleep and loses his powers? Someone erases his memories? I kind of get the whole dark v light but is there like a basic plot that anyone here can fill me in and fix my assumption?

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, those events all happened, except not in that order, and you seem to be conflating a thing that happened in Chain of Memories and a thing that happened much later in Dream Drop Distance?

Though I think the game's intro would at least clear the latter thing up...?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
So yeah, just started. I watched the 5 episodes before-hand, having not ever played a KH game. Am I close at all with this?
There was a KeyBlade War so many years ago and the villain has been trying to recreate it using dark and light. The darkness is Organization 13 with is 13 representations of the villain? Sora is in a deep sleep and loses his powers? Someone erases his memories? I kind of get the whole dark v light but is there like a basic plot that anyone here can fill me in and fix my assumption?

Sora fell into a trap and WAS put in a deep sleep by the villains who tried to turn him into one of the 13 and lost his powers in the process. This all happened in past game AND he got his memories erased in a different past game too.

You can check the scene where Sora is rescued here:

(Sora and Riku look younger because theyre in the Dream Realm were they take that form)

Other than that you're doing amazingly

EJS

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I mean, those events all happened, except not in that order, and you seem to be conflating a thing that happened in Chain of Memories and a thing that happened much later in Dream Drop Distance?

Though I think the game's intro would at least clear the latter thing up...?
The game doesn't really say 'this happened in this game' and 'that in this game.' It's all packed in together.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I feel like your casual player who is jumping in and complaining about it being easy would yeah because yes that is how a lot of people play. There is for sure a segment of the KH fan base though that does want some more challenge which I can understand. It never bothered me because I don't know that KH is a game I come to really for a difficult challenge like I would in a Bayonetta or DMC but I appreciate the criticism of the difficulty as it stands.

Hopefully a Final Mix DLC/ Re-release is in order at some point. I feel like the game could use a bit more content. My only complaint really. I just zoomed through the entirety of the content in a week. :(

EJS

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sora WAS put in a deep sleep by the villains and lost his powers in the past game AND he got his memories erased in a different past game too.

Other than that you're doing amazingly
Lol, sorry, I know it's kind of annoying of me to come in here and ask these elementary questions.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it's completely understandable! I'd rather that than people posting vague spoilers; I need to keep unwatching the thread, lol.

Anyone know if there's a good summary that we could give by default to help?

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Just beat the game, and it was the first time I finished a Kingdom Hearts game. It was super accessible, the mini games weren't horribly designed, and the story wrapped up in a very satisfying way. I just listed the game in the BST thread because I don't think I have any reason to go back and play it. I'd maybe wanna rewatch it someday, but otherwise I'm good.

I played on Beginner Mode and clocked about 27 hours of actual play time, though it could've been much less. I really only came to this one for the story, and I left happy enough.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, I don't have the game yet, but I've been watching cutscene and I'm hoping someone will answer something that's been bothering me
what happened to mickey's original keyblade, the kingdom key D? Is there any explanation for why he switched to this new one?

EJS

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Oh no!

Ask away. We all want you to enjoy the game :)

I edited my post with more details
Well, I should scope out a video and find a good summary. My wife bought me the game without knowing I've never played. She saw me watch a video on the gameplay and I said it looked neat, which, granted, it is. I've played for roughly an hour. I just decided to watch the videos before-hand and jump in because I wanted her to see me play.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom of Corona spoilers I guess

is Rapunzel no longer available in the party once you beat the world?

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
Just started playing a few days ago because I was away, and so far this game is awesome. Beat the first 3 world's including Olympus. I loved Toy Story's world (story was meh), and Corona was also good. Game is extremely charming, and although the dialogue can be cheesy it doesn't bother me one bit and I've laughed quite a few times. I have no idea how people have beat the game in like 25 hours, I'm at like 18 so far.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Can I just assume all these characters at the end that I have no clue who they are, are from Union?

All this time crap is really hard to follow

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Can I just assume all these characters at the end that I have no clue who they are, are from Union?

All this time crap is really hard to follow
You'd be right, though they're specifically referencing events from Back Cover, the bonus video from 2.8.

It's not really worth watching and doesn't explain anything either, but... there you go.