• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Guys, I think i'm nearing the end. How do I download the final video or w/e that I only briefly read about weeks before launch?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Can we talk about how much cooler KH2 Riku looked than any other Riku design?

kh2-riku.jpg

He looked alright in KH3, but this one was just too good. (He looked better before his random haircut, though...)

My personal Ranking of Rikus:

1. 57px-Riku_%28Blindfolded%29_KHII.png

The most anime and edgy and I love it. Shame basically every KH character has worn the coat at this point though.
  2. 81px-Riku_KHIII.png

Coolest Keyblade, nice outfit, steals Noctis' vibes with flair
  3. 47px-Riku_KHII.png

His best "colorful" look, but I'm worried his pants will fall down
  4. 113px-Riku_TG_KH3D.png

The Tron aesthetic looks good on anyone.
  5. 83px-Riku_%28Dark_Mode%29_KH.png

I always liked the weird creepy sinewy muscles, but ??? to the platform shoes
  6. 48px-Riku-Ansem_KHII.png

Get outta here Billy Zane
  7. 69px-Riku_KH3D.png

Kinda plain and boring but the back of his shirt is a cool twist
  8. 47px-Riku_%28Young%29_KH.png

What a twerp
  9. 75px-Riku_KHHD.png

Why is he wearing weird bucket pants when he spends most of his time on a beach, he's basically just asking to drown
  10. 200px-The_Mark_of_Mastery_Exam_02_KH3D.png

That awkward feeling when you see a close friend after they got a haircut and don't know what to say

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is A ranking the Schwarzegeist even possible? I did it as quick as possible using the Golden Highwind with no damage and still got B rank? Wtf.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Is A ranking the Schwarzegeist even possible? I did it as quick as possible using the Golden Highwind with no damage and still got B rank? Wtf.
Yes.
You need to either kill a bunch of the little disk shield things it spawns or not get hit by any of its attacks to get the untouched bonus.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
lol i remember reading a lot of hate for the part in frozen world where
you put the snowman back together
anf then it takes all of five minutes and is actually pretty funny?

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I finally finished it. That was very....ok. The spectacle of this game is unmatched by any of the other games, but it's kind of thin in all other aspects. I get that this is the cap to the story arc, but I dunno. I was just expecting...more I guess.

The end game fights were all really cool, but it really highlights the glaring issue with this game; and really all the games since BBS. They have no idea how to balance the games properly. I very much agree with the sentiment that this game was far too easy. For how flashy and cool the end game fights were, everyone went down in 60 seconds. But it's not just a numeric thing. Bosses and enemies could definitely use a 2x boost to their defense stats, sure. But the core issue here is commands are just way too overpowered. It has been this way since BBS, but this one was in another league. For how much KH2 got flack for "press triangle to win", I would say this game really is just press triangle to win. And that was without using attraction commands. Enemies and bosses just cannot deal with how much damage you can put out, further compounded with how weak they all are.

The Disney worlds also just really felt like...filler. Like they were just in the way before you get back to the actual plot. The way the story is so back loaded into the final part of the game, it's like they were just adding content into the beginning so that they had a full game to ship.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
lol i remember reading a lot of hate for the part in frozen world where
you put the snowman back together
anf then it takes all of five minutes and is actually pretty funny?

A lot of the things people complain about being "tedious" are because they don't know what they're doing, I've noticed...

Such as
Needing to collect 300 crabs. You literally get all 300 just by going from the docks to the fucking fort lmao it takes 5 minutes tops

Oct 29, 2017
OK I finished the last Disney world, then spent last night getting the Bistro up to 5 stars, getting a high score on all the Classic Kingdom games, finding all the constellations and blueprints in the Gummi Ship, and even managed to beat the
Einhander boss

At this point I'm going to go straight through to the end, and save finding all the hidden Mickeys, and doing the stuff required for the Ultima keyblade later on after I've seen the ending.

I've had a GREAT time so far. The Pirates level blew me away it was so good.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I've actually had some sleep, I've finally gathered my thoughts on the gameplay.
On Proud Level 1: if you're looking for a tight, challenging experience, then this is not the mode you're looking for. It's been said over and over, but unless you use the Keyblade upgrades or food buffs, the mode can be summed up as "every single fight goes on for longer than it needs to".

Bosses have more healthbars than they do actual phases and except for the endgame bosses where they sensibly give you actual checkpoints, none of those fights really justified the number of healthbars. This doesn't only apply to the bosses, but it's the worst with bosses as you can skip most trash mobs (and even the mandatory fights aren't long to complete to redo).

But let's not just rag on how repetitive the mode is (because that's just beating a dead hrose); I also think that, as a campaign, it's very, very badly paced. The first third of the game is probably the most repetitive (as most of the tools that give the gameplay flavour aren't given to you yet), the second third is kinda easy (because of some gimmicky sections like in BH6 and PotC that don't rely on the core combat) and then the last third is really uneven (some parts are really easy, others are really, really hard).
Now with all that said, I don't think PL1 should just be ignored. I think it's poor as a challenge run (as it's more repetitive than challenging, and I think that having rely on Keyblade upgrades or food buffs goes against the spirit of a Level 1 run in the first place) but I believe PL1 is for anyone that wants to see to see KH3's in a context where most tools aren't massively overpowered. I think that the folks that are really calling for very specific balance changes especially need to try out PL1 first.

One of aspects that makes PL1 such a pain to play through (i.e. how much damage you deal) also makes it one of the best ways to really understand the combat system. It probably wasn't a conscious effort, but PL1 feels like it balances all of the different combat options by making none of them particularly strong on their own. While your mileage may vary on whether they succeeded (I wouldn't agree; there are some options that are clear winners, like Ever After / Mirage Staff which basically has everything you want and Hero's Origin / Counter Shield which actually becomes amazing late-game), it does help you understand the flow of combat (or what they were aiming for).
  • Vanilla Keyblades aren't a great damage dealing option on their own, but building up all your transformations early on and either keeping them in reserve, or using the transformed versions to attack instead, are what makes them work as an option.

• Magic is kind of weak overall aside from pure survivability with Cure / Cura / Curaga, but in trash mobs they're useful for elemental weaknesses, status effects and general crowd control. For boss fights, their use is more incidental / related to Keyblades; they can be really useful for unlocking keyblades if the bosses are at a distance or are really tricky to hit.

• Shotlocks are reasonably powerful (in terms of damage and safety with all of the iframes during their animations) but are also a super limited resource. I think only one boss (the Wolf Boss in Arendelle) actually gives you an opportunity to regain Focus; every other time, you need Refocuser to constantly use it in battle.

• The Transformed Keyblades all do have specific uses when they can't just destroy everything. While Mirage Staff does basically everything (fast DPS with the dodge move, a long ranged, safe and damaging regular combo, a safe panic button / time wasting finisher, a fast healing shotlock move and to top it all off, a passive buff that makes magic refill faster), the other keyblade transformations do have their niches.

e.g. Counter Shield is obvious, Highwind is good for raw attack damage, Arrowguns / Magic Launcher are good for managing crowds of enemies, Drill Punch is amazing for chasing down bosses, Nano Arms has decent attack range and its finisher can be situationally amazing (e.g. using it in the Davy Jones bossfight when you have him pressed against the wall causes it to do amazing amounts of damage) etc.

That you can now switch keyblades (and keep these transformations in reserve) gives the game an extra layer of strategy. Being able do things like pulling out Counter Shield when a boss goes berserk, using Arrowguns when the enemy summons a ton of mooks, or just having a finisher to use in a pinch etc. is actually really great.
Now the flow of combat isn't perfect by any means. The systems here come with their own problems, for example, it's always frustrating when I'm trying to unlock a keyblade's transformation and I get Firaza instead, it sucks when you need one more hit to get a transformation but I'm all out of magic and the boss is being a jerk, it's dumb when you do a shotlock or finisher when you thought it was safe, and then you immediately get hit / die as soon as the game gives you control etc. Some options also stick out as still being too strong, being too weak or not really fitting seamlessly into the combat experience.
  • KH3's team up attacks are really unrealiable. You can't reliably call on them (like with KH2's team up attacks, which worked perfectly btw), it's all up to the crappy AI that can die before actually helping you out. I also feel that most attacks are just straight up useless. Marshmallow not being able to hit the flying wolf boss comes to mind, but even Goofy's Trinity Shield is just absolutely garbage. Only Donald has some legit good attacks (Flare Force is great for starting combos, or getting amazing situational damage on bosses with large hurtboxes, same with Donald Meteor) that also happen very quickly, but again, you have to rely on the AI to remember it has the move so it kinda sucks. Combine that with some of these having really long or annoying animations, and I just feel that they don't work so well. They can take you out of the game while also being really frustrating to rely on.

• Summons really stand out as noticeably strong. It's mostly their passive effect of healing you, fully restoring your party, keeping them safe and really just allowing you to have free, mostly safe, damage that makes them way too much. Their cost also isn't that much when there are so many ways to stall for time between shotlocks, finishers, transformation animations etc.

• Attractions also stand out for the opposite reason. These feel like they combine the worst parts of team up attacks with summons; what Attraction you get and when it'll actually pop up during the fight seem random (like with the team up attacks) while the actual use of Attractions is basically Summons without any of the (really good) passive effects. They might actually be worse since some attractions are really vulnerable to attacks (using PL1 Blaster Blaze in particular is just straight up dangerous to use against more than one enemy).
(As for Airstepping, I'm not too sure on how it fits in the game. It does seem too strong for certain portions of the game, like the gauntlets with KH1 and KH2 bosses, but some bosses also counter it perfectly well with their movesets or just straight up disable the function, like with the Gothel Heartless, the Heartless horde etc.)
Anyway, while none of what I've typed out really excuses the abysmal balancing and highly repetitive nature of PL1, I do have to say that the combat kind of has me really hooked. I'm not hooked enough to want to do any of the Superbosses, and I don't ever, ever want to do Proud Level 1 again (unless it's in a rebalanced Final Mix version of KH3), but idk, I think the combat has a *lot* of potential and PL1 can be really, really damn fun during the rare moments where the balancing is actually on point.

(Hmm... I might experiment with level locking on Proud. Maybe I can keep levelling on for the first three worlds, and then put no EXP on for the rest of the game? Man I can't believe I actually really want to replay this game.)

Last edited:

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
OK I finished the last Disney world, then spent last night getting the Bistro up to 5 stars, getting a high score on all the Classic Kingdom games, finding all the constellations and blueprints in the Gummi Ship, and even managed to beat the
Einhander boss

At this point I'm going to go straight through to the end, and save finding all the hidden Mickeys, and doing the stuff required for the Ultima keyblade later on after I've seen the ending.

Pirates was my least anticipated world and ended up one of my favourites, wtf

Make sure you at least have enough emblems for the post-credits secret ending! (30 on Proud, 60 on Standard, or 90 on Beginner)

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
shotlock, thunzaga, shotlock

battlegate cleared....1-2 levels gained lol.

edit: level 99, whoop whoop

all thats left is wasting my life synthesizing everything

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
lol what was up with the hans guy in frozen

he just came out of nowhere

anyway, anyone else notice the
dragon's dogma
reference in the journal entry for the boss of the frozen world

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
shotlock, thunzaga, shotlock

battlegate cleared....1-2 levels gained lol.

edit: level 99, whoop whoop

all thats left is wasting my life synthesizing everything
Compared to past games its actually not that bad of a list to go through really. Most of the ingredients aren't too hard to come by.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I think I'm done. I was thinking about Platinuming the game, but I think I killed my appetite doing the emblems and treasure chests lol.

Hopefully, there's some good DLC stuff down the pipe since the base game is fantastic, warts and all. This is definitely the best KH by far.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
crafting every single item sounds like a nightmare. why're y'all doing that to yourself. just craft the items you think would be useful and for which you happen to have the ingredients

do you REALLY need s 15% fire defense armour

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Einhander boss

100%ing the Pirates world was super fun. There's some really creative layouts on the different islands, and finding the island Jack was marooned on in the original movie was a really nice easter egg.
got my excel sheet going.....time to start checking stuff off here.
NXANmQL.jpg

Lol, I really need to start using excel for this sort of stuff :( I've platinumed the game now at least.
How can I check which places I've obtained Oricalcum+? I know I got the one from the pirates chest but I don't see any in my inventory. I'm also unsure if I got one from the twilight town mailbox.
You can see how many you have by checking the material list in the workshop menu at a moogle.

Last edited:

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
How can I check which places I've obtained Oricalcum+? I know I got the one from the pirates chest but I don't see any in my inventory. I'm also unsure if I got one from the twilight town mailbox.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
When i first seen the trophy list i was like "oh that doesn't look as bad as the 1.5 and 2.5 ones" but looking at it now that's a lot of grinding and mini-game stress.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
100%ing the Pirates world was super fun. There's some really creative layouts on the different islands, and finding the island Jack was marooned on in the original movie was a really nice easter egg.

NXANmQL.jpg

Lol, I really need to start using excel for this sort of stuff :( I've platinumed the game now at least.

You can see how many you have by checking the material list in the workshop menu at a moogle.

oh man, reminds me of my wind waker days when i had a square by square map drawn for the sea lol

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
A lot of the things people complain about being "tedious" are because they don't know what they're doing, I've noticed...

Such as
Needing to collect 300 crabs. You literally get all 300 just by going from the docks to the fucking fort lmao it takes 5 minutes tops
LMAO right? I was dreading it expecting something extremely tedious but it was quick and painless.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017

Every time you visit the workshop you hand in all your synthesis mats so that's why it isn't in your inventory. I kept track of em by memory since they all required some hustle to obtain.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
So I finally beat the story. It's a little bittersweet. Beat it in about 30 hours. I can't believe I got through most of the game without blocking much, haha. The final boss reminded me why I needed to block more. That's the only time I ended up dying a few times on normal mode. That secret ending, though (watched it on YouTube since I hadn't met the requirements yet). Is it safe to talk about that here? Or nah?

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
So I finally beat the story. It's a little bittersweet. Beat it in about 30 hours. I can't believe I got through most of the game without blocking much, haha. The final boss reminded me why I needed to block more. That's the only time I ended up dying a few times on normal mode. That secret ending, though (watched it on YouTube since I hadn't met the requirements yet). Is it safe to talk about that here? Or nah?

Better go to the spoiler thread.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it was because I was a kid and didn't know better but wow III really hammers home how just bland and boring Sora is as a character.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
The Caribbean has me jonesing to play Black Flag again. It's just a really fun idea with the ship combat and the underwater combat. Never knew how much I missed it from 1.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Man this game so far has been putting me to sleep. Just got to twilight town so a few hours in. Is it really 30 hours long of just walking front point a to b, mash through mobs, with long cutscenes interspersed? Does the plot start to pickup soon at least and/or the combat get deeper or they at least have unique gameplay mechanics for other worlds you visit?

Note: last game i played was kh2 so perhaps not really attached to this franchise as others. I remember enjoying them at the time though.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Man this game so far has been putting me to sleep. Just got to twilight town so a few hours in. Is it really 30 hours long of just walking front point a to b, mash through mobs, with long cutscenes interspersed? Does the plot start to pickup soon at least and/or the combat get deeper or they at least have unique gameplay mechanics for other worlds you visit?

Note: last game i played was kh2 so perhaps not really attached to this franchise as others. I remember enjoying them at the time though.

You can just walk from point a to point b and beat the game in like 20 hours. Maybe less if you're on standard. All the Disney worlds reward you by exploring looking for chests, finding emblems, playing the mini games etc.This nets way better gear and such. Every time you finish a Disney world you get a new keyblade which gives you a bunch of new toys to play with when it comes to transformations. You also get various new abilities as you advance. Similar to KH2, the more you progress the cooler you look but the mechanics still stay the same.

The plot throughout all the Disney worlds is just dicking around and rehashing bullshit to try to get you caught up for the final 4-5 hours of the game when the plot just goes 0 to 100 real quick

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Geez I am slogging my way through this

Levels seem to take forever, and sometimes I get lost on dumb stuff. Plus I'm not really feeling the levels/worlds. I've never seen a lot of the more recent movies it's featuring.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
There is a special place in hell for whoever designed the shield's minigame in Herc's world.
I've wasted way to much time trying to beat that shit.