• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Just for further clarification, since I'm not 100% sure: I'm intending to start a first time play through. If I purchased the DLC, would the updated abilities and keyblades be available before ever playing Re:Mind?
Yes. Re:Mind is accessed via the menu, so it's completely separate from the main game, though it needs a clear file to start. You can get the new abilities and Keyblades as long as you meet those conditions, regardless of whether you start the DLC or not.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Just for further clarification, since I'm not 100% sure: I'm intending to start a first time play through. If I purchased the DLC, would the updated abilities and keyblades be available before ever playing Re:Mind?

You get the new abilities as a reward for beating the final boss in the base game in any difficulty .

The new Keyblades are obtained by finding all the hidden Lucky Emblems and by clearing the game at critical difficulty

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
You get the new abilities as a reward for beating the final boss in the base game in any difficulty .
Wait... seriously? That sucks. I assumed they'd be unlocked via level progression like other abilities. Never would've known since I just continued my clear file. Seriously, that sucks. You'd be stuck with Magic Flash (or whatever it was called) for the entire game knowing there's a significantly better finisher waiting for you. Oof.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Wait... seriously? That sucks. I assumed they'd be unlocked via level progression like other abilities. Never would've known since I just continued my clear file. Seriously, that sucks. You'd be stuck with Magic Flash (or whatever it was called) for the entire game knowing there's a significantly better finisher waiting for you. Oof.

Me too, but NattyBo confirmed he got them at the end of the game IIRC

Also, the new abilities are unlocked from the start in a NG+ which makes it even weirder

Oct 25, 2017
Me too, but NattyBo confirmed he got them at the end of the game IIRC

Also, the new abilities are unlocked from the start in a NG+ which makes it even weirder
Still didn't load my clear save to go after the battle gates, and can also confirm that I didn't get the new abilities at all.

Thankfully, the hate for the default moveset felt a little overblown, to me. I still can't wait to try out the improved one that's closer to KH II, but KH III plays really well in the default state.

Still bizarre that they wouldn't place the abilities throughout the game, since I'd assume it's a tiny minority of players who even bother with post game/NG+/DLC. Oh well. I definitely will make use of them in my Level 1 run. :D

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Terra Xehanort. Felt kind of like a weird fight; I didn't have to learn it to win, which I guess has happened a few times but it *seemed* like the kind of fight I would have to learn initially, but it only took a few tries to figure out what his DM was all about and then it was reasonably easy.

Vanitas is the last one I have left of the initial. If you had asked me if I'd get this far with these bosses when I started I'd probably have laughed in your face, but here I am a few days later with a sore wrist and fire in my eyes.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Beat 13 bosses on Critical took me so loooooong, shit is a lot harder than Sekiro. Honestly I now consider KH3 as more of a rythym game than action RPG lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Beat 13 bosses on Critical took me so loooooong, shit is a lot harder than Sekiro. Honestly I now consider KH3 as more of a rythym game than action RPG lol.

Actually kind of funny that you say that: there was a lot of suggestion that Sekiro was more of rhythm game than a 'normal' FROM game. I think for these class of games / bosses, it's code for "It's basically hard enough that your actions become completely programmed responses from input when you succeed" which, indeed, starts *feeling* like a rhythm experience. To me it just means these games don't allow you to make mistakes. I'm only playing on Proud, so of course I'm allowed to make a mistake or two, but I imagine on Critical you simply... can't fuck up.

I would absolutely put KH3 ReMind at or near the top of the list in "most difficult games" I've played. Right alongside any FROM game, and probably above Sekiro.

Oct 25, 2017
Actually kind of funny that you say that: there was a lot of suggestion that Sekiro was more of rhythm game than a 'normal' FROM game. I think for these class of games / bosses, it's code for "It's basically hard enough that your actions become completely programmed responses from input when you succeed" which, indeed, starts *feeling* like a rhythm experience. To me it just means these games don't allow you to make mistakes. I'm only playing on Proud, so of course I'm allowed to make a mistake or two, but I imagine on Critical you simply... can't fuck up.

I would absolutely put KH3 ReMind at or near the top of the list in "most difficult games" I've played. Right alongside any FROM game, and probably above Sekiro.
Yep, it basically means "you have to actually learn how to deal with each individual move", which isn't really a thing for the vast majority of games. Even in Souls, you can overlevel, summon help or just dodge through every attack like any other, but in KH II FM, KH III RM and Sekiro, what is the right answer to one move is often the worst possible decision against another.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, it basically means "you have to actually learn how to deal with each individual move", which isn't really a thing for the vast majority of games. Even in Souls, you can overlevel, summon help or just dodge through every attack like any other, but in KH II FM, KH III RM and Sekiro, what is the right answer to one move is often the worst possible decision against another.

Yep and when you do you own them and feel good :P.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
About at my breaking point on the Xion fight on critical. I've got just about the entire fight memorized and can pretty regularly get to her second round of armor, but my reactions are just so slow I eventually mess up and end up getting chained since I can't react out of it. Gahhhhhhh.

like, missing one block can fuck up the entire fight on critical, so tough.
Still haven't even tried master xehanort and at this rate I doubt I ever will.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to the Tangled Keyblade, I'm allowed a few mistakes on Critical. I forgot that its Shotlock healed me, now I feel way better.

Oct 25, 2017
I think I just got intensely fucking lucky on Vanitas. I took him down on my first attempt, but I could tell I was getting *intensely* lucky on openings (literally *everything* I went for gave me a stagger) and I managed to make it to second form which is a rarity for these bosses. I also got perfect rotations on dark mode->heal->stagger etc.

I know I got lucky. But I'm taking this one to the bank.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
About at my breaking point on the Xion fight on critical. I've got just about the entire fight memorized and can pretty regularly get to her second round of armor, but my reactions are just so slow I eventually mess up and end up getting chained since I can't react out of it. Gahhhhhhh.

Elixirs remove the HP debuff if that is what's killing you.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Yeah it's not the HP debuff that necessarily gets me. It's just I will eventually miss a block, usually on her rush attack that hits you with confusion if you get hit by the last shot. Like I said I can regularly get her to the second of third armor sets, I just need to fucking execute and it's driving me nuts.

like it's not a problem at all for me to get to her first armor and DM and through that. Her pattern changes slightly after that and she becomes more aggressive with the key blade confusion attack and yeah I just need to vent I guess

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's not the HP debuff that necessarily gets me. It's just I will eventually miss a block, usually on her rush attack that hits you with confusion if you get hit by the last shot. Like I said I can regularly get her to the second of third armor sets, I just need to fucking execute and it's driving me nuts
The Nano Gear keyblade comes with stun immunity.

Alox12

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 23, 2019
Thanks to the Tangled Keyblade, I'm allowed a few mistakes on Critical. I forgot that its Shotlock healed me, now I feel way better.
Hero's Origin can heal you while also giving you Second Chance and Once More (during its formchange) as well as a great block. Doesn't get any better than that in Crit :P

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017

Xehanort is super annoying but I think he is easier than Xion.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally saw every Keyblade Form Change (I think?), and was able to turn off the cutscenes, it now works like drive forms in KH II.

So much better!

...Kinda? It definitely feels better to play, but I did recover MP during the long ass transformation cutscene.

Oh well, I'll keep it short anyway.

Alox12

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 23, 2019
Finally saw every Keyblade Form Change (I think?), and was able to turn off the cutscenes, it now works like drive forms in KH II.

So much better!

...Kinda? It definitely feels better to play, but I did recover MP during the long ass transformation cutscene.

Oh well, I'll keep it short anyway.
I disabled them too. They give you immunity and you are also able to damage enemies but I prefer having full control because form animations break the flow of the battle too often imo

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I need some tips for the secret boss... got oathkeeper, playing on standard and tried to cheese it with ariel but i keep getting my ass kicked before the bastard is 4 hp bars left

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn. Just finished Xion. I think she's my favorite fight in the game so far. I had to learn it top-to-bottom, and the best part is the fight has so many moments where you really have to rely on movement and blocking -- you can't play 'safe' because of the lasers. Now, granted, that leads to a *lot* of BS moments where you just needed that split second to be able to use a move that would have otherwise saved your life, but on the other hand, it puts you in those situations where when you *do* come out on top you feel like a complete badass for blocking literally everything and getting the win while sitting on 1 hp, which was basically my situation at the end. She had just come out of the DB and had 1 bar left, and I had like 0 health and a single potion left. In my heart I'm like "Try for the heal, you haven't been this close in a while" but my head is like "No. You need to block and wait for the opening and then you can win." Let my head win, and it went down exactly that way, but my God how mad I would have been had I choked any of those hits.

Master Xehanort next.

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sora in Yarnham, lol. I'm pretty sure someone made that joke already with photoshop.

Edit: wrong thread v_v

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's not the HP debuff that necessarily gets me. It's just I will eventually miss a block, usually on her rush attack that hits you with confusion if you get hit by the last shot. Like I said I can regularly get her to the second of third armor sets, I just need to fucking execute and it's driving me nuts.

like it's not a problem at all for me to get to her first armor and DM and through that. Her pattern changes slightly after that and she becomes more aggressive with the key blade confusion attack and yeah I just need to vent I guess

As Kinsei said, it's all about the Nano Gear man. I tried not using it for a long time on my attempts, and kept dying by stun and it was driving me nuts. After switching to the Nano I could focus 100% on movement and it made completing the fight a lot easier. Granted, you're on Critical, so it'll be a lot rougher than what I had to deal with, but the Nano is a life saver.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I did it. I fucking did it.

Can't wait to bang my head against Xehanort for hours now.

d4jn5n6-a4b06afc-0e3d-4a48-9e1f-263181969d0b.gif

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
All of you just getting to Yozora - how sick is that transition to the helipad battle arena?

Also, I can't stop reading his name as 'Yo Sora'.

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Inferno is to KH3 what Sephiroth was to KH2.

A Warm-Up for the Data Battles
Super excited to start Re:Mind tomorrow. I think I'll come back for Dark Inferno after the DLC, though, I don't think I quite learned phase 3, felt more like I got lucky.

Feels great to fight an enemy that doesn't make me feel guilty for using Ultima, hahaha. I could use all the help I could get.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
All of you just getting to Yozora - how sick is that transition to the helipad battle arena?

Also, I can't stop reading his name as 'Yo Sora'.

It's really well done. I have no clue of the significance of the double transition involving Dive into the Heart other than it looking awesome, but damn does it look awesome.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Well, I beat Xemnas. He was easier trying today than last time. Just had to survive his DM and then I managed to get use to blocking his attacks with mostly good timing, then I won.

Now getting my ass kicked by Xion. Either die during the armor part or right after. Haven't seen her main DM yet.

Oct 25, 2017
That feeling when you get through Xion's DM just fine, but then she stuns you in attack afterwards and kills you before you can heal.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
That feeling when you get through Xion's DM just fine, but then she stuns you in attack afterwards and kills you before you can heal.

:(

Well I just beat Xion. Took me I think like 4 hours but I did it. At some point I got better at guarding, but also important was I stopped trying to cheese her DMs and properly learned what her pattern is and how to survive, and where to retaliate. Not perfectly but well enough. Also decided to change from Ultima Weapon to Oathkeeper as I found the form changes in terms of defense and speed (and Shotlock when she has Armor) to work notably better.

Now I'm stuck on Master Xehanort...

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Xehanort fight is as bad as I thought it'd be. On the times I manage to actually make it that far, I get absolutely destroyed in the DM where he throws shadow figures at you. Ughhh. Will have to try more hours tomorrow.

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
I was just thinking recently, the beggining of Limit Cut stated that a bunch of the cast are off in their own adventures.

Terra, Ventus and Aqua are on the Realm of Darkness, the Twilight Town gang are searching Ansem's data, Kairi is sleeping while the apprentices are searching her heart and Mickey, Donald and Goofy are going through the worlds they visited looking for clues.

While a lot of those could be nothing, a few of those could be spin-offs on their own.

And then I remembered this:

Scholastic to publish new Kingdom Hearts novel series, official character handbook - News - Kingdom Hearts Insider

Kingdom Hearts Insider - the largest kingdom hearts community and news resource on the web!

Scholastic is releasing a Kingdom Hearts middlegrade novel series sometime this year, and they make sure to call it "official" and "canon" as much as they can in these (Now deleted, mind you) Amazon descriptions that I might even believe they're serious.

What if the story of these books were one the aforementioned groups looking for Sora? The placeholders for the books first showed up August last year and Re:Mind was announced in April, and was probably in production for longer than that. Maybe they actually planned a collaboration for these books.

The easiest thing would be the Disney trio going after Sora, since they are the least developed Kingdom Hearts characters, but the most recognizable Disney ones, they don't really have any baggage after 9 games, so there's no need to waste time introducing them. The concept is also the most basic Kingdom Hearts plot ever: Visit Disney worlds while looking for a person they lost. And since they are the most static characters in the series, they could have an entire five books journey and still come back for KHIV without the audience having to read the books. Because let's face it, anyone but them are gonna actually rescue Sora.

It would be the most accessible way to introduce a new audience to Kingdom Hearts universe in another medium, the story wouldn't necessarily be weighed down by all the lore in the game, but it could still be acknowledged and referenced in a need-to-know basis to suit the story's need.

But that's only IF the story's actually canon, they could just as well be using that buzzword for marketing purposes.

Last edited: