• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I did them all at critical 99 without kupo coin (though I did use shotlocks and in the case of Xion, a link to avoid one of her moves). The only ones I really struggled with were Saix, the post-DM bits of Terra-Xehanort, Xion and the secret boss (Data-Riku was also a nightmare to get into a good rhythm since he felt insurmountable when I started him). It's hard to say much more than keep at it and get into a good rhythm (parts of the fights were complete bliss to me, like Xemnas's DM having such a satisfying pattern to execute, etc).

It's a bummer the review score for ReMind sits where it does. The first 70% of the ReMind scenario itself is pointless, but the final parts are amazing, and all of the fights, while insane and very difficult, are phenomenally well put together. Like, I'm legitimately proud of the Osaka team lol, they really brought it and proved themselves. I'm worried we won't see more of it if they look only at the critical reception though :(

Okay

What's the reception in Japan? Feel like it matters a little more.

Also wonder if the reviews would be different if the price was lower. Maybe next time they'll reconsider the price. Or not. Lol.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I did them all at critical 99 without kupo coin (though I did use shotlocks and in the case of Xion, a link to avoid one of her moves). The only ones I really struggled with were Saix, the post-DM bits of Terra-Xehanort, Xion and the secret boss (Data-Riku was also a nightmare to get into a good rhythm since he felt insurmountable when I started him). It's hard to say much more than keep at it and get into a good rhythm (parts of the fights were complete bliss to me, like Xemnas's DM having such a satisfying pattern to execute, etc).

It's a bummer the review score for ReMind sits where it does. The first 70% of the ReMind scenario itself is pointless, but the final parts are amazing, and all of the fights, while insane and very difficult, are phenomenally well put together. Like, I'm legitimately proud of the Osaka team lol, they really brought it and proved themselves. I'm worried we won't see more of it if they look only at the critical reception though :(
The people behind KH have always been fairly good at listening to community feedback. I doubt they'll let the reviews discourage them from adding hard bosses in the future. They might do a bit more content that is more suitable for lower skill level players or not lock story content behind super bosses, but the community feedback for the bosses is so overwhelmingly positive that I think they'll definitely keep that in mind for future optional content.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The people behind KH have always been fairly good at listening to community feedback. I doubt they'll let the reviews discourage them from adding hard bosses in the future. They might do a bit more content that is more suitable for lower skill level players or not lock story content behind super bosses, but the community feedback for the bosses is so overwhelmingly positive that I think they'll definitely keep that in mind for future optional content.

Exactly, very few review outlets touched on the lack of difficulty in the original KH3 reviews (Even if they pretend they did in their ReMind reviews)

The team still listened to the community first and made the great adjustments we got

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The DLC is overpriced, period, and like it was said the Re:Mind part is pointless for the most part. I would not recommend it to anyone, even those who like boss fights (because, let's put it bluntly, only the Limit Cut part of this DLC is worth it, although the last part of Re:Mind has some nice bits).
I like boss fights and it was 100% worth the $30 to me. I won't recommend this expansion to those who want story content but I will for people who enjoyed superbosses of 2's final mix and superbosses in general.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I too had my money's worth on entertainment.

Figuring the boss fights out was very fun. I also expected a Final Mix kind of deal from the start and that's exactly what I got.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I think $20 would've been a better sweet spot price wise, but for me, it was worth the $30 for the data bosses alone.

I feel comfortable saying Limit Cut is the most fun I've ever had with this entire series.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm dead serious when I say they should release one more Limit Cut DLC. Maybe charge $20 for it, and have only 13 new superbosses (7 guardians of light or whatever + characters like Demyx that didn't get a boss fight in III) and VIIR Sephiroth as the Secret Boss.

For people who are mostly playing for story or the characters, it wouldn't be worth it, but they wouldn't even buy it. That's the thing that's missing from Re:Mind, even if you think $30 for Limit Cut is a good price. It was mainly advertised as the story expansion, and the reason why many players bought it. Hell, we mainly had text info and very very small glimpses of footage of the Limit Cut during trailers. We were left to speculate up to release.

If it was clearly sold as a bunch of superbosses for people who love challenge, the disappointment would be much lower.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Would it help for someone trying to get the Risk-Taker Trophy on Beginner tho ?

I'm slowly getting the hang of Yozora on Proud (Not with maxed Stats tho)
I'm scared of the Risk-Taker trophy.

Personally, I don't think it'd help much where it matters? If you have the pro codes mostly on throughout the base game(where you can't really farm Stat boosts anyway), you can have your stats normal for the limit cut fights anyway.

I did pro code with all codes turned on for most of the base game(took one off for demon tide in KG and dark inferno), and that let me have default stats, zero defense, and no cure turned off for limit cut, and the fights were fairly easy. I did most of them besides like 3 first try. If you're able to do them on proud, I assume you'd be fine?

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Well I'm being crazy and thinking about beating mainly the limit cut bosses on critical with all pro codes on, just so I could have the max Pro Code rank on my critical save.
I finally managed to beat
Yozora
on critical/all pro codes on the weekend finally. He is a very good boss once you learn all his moves, not sure I've ever learnt a KH boss as well as him. Trying out Dark Inferno/Base game MX now and I'll try the other limit cut bosses.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad people are enjoying the fights, but instead of $30 for amazing fights and more garbage story, this thing should have just been the fights for $15.

I think this will probably be a lot of people's final KH purchase.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad people are enjoying the fights, but instead of $30 for amazing fights and more garbage story, this thing should have just been the fights for $15.

I think you underestimate fans of the series personally. Being completely honest, I doubt more of the casual fans picked it up in the first place just yet.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

"The "side games" will be the death of KH"

"Not ignoring the side games will be the death of KH"

"KH3 will be the death of KH"

*KH3 breaks series records*

"Yeah well that's because people were tricked into thinking this wouldn't include the side games and would be all about Cloud like KH2, next KH thing won't sell"

*Re Mind was January's #2 US most downloaded DLC with just 1 week, only beaten by Fortnite*

"....KH4 will be the death of KH"

I've been on this ride ever since "KH2 will be the death of KH". Still waiting for it to actually happen. Gotta admit I was too young and missed "KH will be DOA"

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah to be entirely honest, if/when they release "Kingdom Hearts 3: Reminded" on PS5, now with a consistent 60fps and shorter load times, yes I will absolutely waste my money on the new version, even if I will probably wait for it to at least go on sale.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
As Eraqus would say "Weak."

Seriously though, why not just turn on fast pass codes instead of spending a ridiculous amount of time grinding synth materials?
There's big diffwrence between "i worked hard so that my characters stats are at their limits" vs "i put a cheat to instant kill everything.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
That's almost always the case with action RPGs. People who didn't play on Critical specifically were talking about how they had to adjust their mentality because the Limit Cut was the first time in the game they had to learn how to block. No stat boost will ever make up for a player fighting a KH superboss without even knowing how to block attacks.

You'll die in three hits you don't know how to avoid instead of two, and maybe it takes two less combos you can't hit to kill the boss. Wow.
Being able to take one extra hit could mean the difference between losing and winning against a tough super boss.

Also, i beat all the other games on critical including the super bosses. Its not my first rodeo.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Beat all Data Fights and currently fighting the Secret Boss.

I am pretty comfortable saying these are some of the best bosses I've played in an ARPG, and the Secret Boss has been so much fun to learn.

Faith in Osaka Team restored, I didn't think these fights would ever be on par with 2FM's bosses but they surpassed them by a good margin imo.

Oct 25, 2017
Being able to take one extra hit could mean the difference between losing and winning against a tough super boss.

Also, i beat all the other games on critical including the super bosses. Its not my first rodeo.
Oh, I wasn't implying it was your situation, I've actually seen people saying the super bosses was the first time they had to block in the game, because they were playing on Proud.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Fucking finally beat Vanitas. Props to the Thunder trick. Following that I went to town with Ultimate Form and he was done. He starts throwing in more patterns at this point, was too dangerous to doing it without that.

Who's next? Idk what the easiest fights are.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I wasn't implying it was your situation, I've actually seen people saying the super bosses was the first time they had to block in the game, because they were playing on Proud.
I don't think the difficulty scales real well in KH3 compared to older titles easy and normal felt like a baby game (which is fine for easy) but proud just felt like normal

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking finally beat Vanitas. Props to the Thunder trick. Following that I went to town with Ultimate Form and he was done. He starts throwing in more patterns at this point, was too dangerous to doing it without that.

Who's next? Idk what the easiest fights are.
Luxord is the easiest, then YMX.

Other than that, is up to how you play the game.

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of people were expecting this to be a final mix like package, but other than critical mode which was a separate update, the main game feels untouched.
While this is true, I'm more thankful that Critical was a free update than resentful that Re:Mind didn't have anything as significant as that.

Though things like Absent Silhouettes were fun as hell, and it would be neat to get something like that.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Problem with Vanilla KH2 was that Limits, Magnega, Reflega and Stitch trivialize the game.

FM did nerf that a bit
Hell, you could get through vanilla standard mode by mashing nothing but attack (Which helped perpetuate that old belief that KH was nothing but a button masher).

It says a lot that the most infamous bosses from vanilla KH2 are Demyx, Xaldin and Sephiroth; the three bosses in the game designed to explicitly shut down that manner of play.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Was watching some streams and was happy to see I wasn't the only one having problems with Vanitas' ridiculous second version of his DM. Was absolutely horrible.

Oct 25, 2017
Hell, you could get through vanilla standard mode by mashing nothing but attack (Which helped perpetuate that old belief that KH was nothing but a button masher).

It says a lot that the most infamous bosses from vanilla KH2 are Demyx, Xaldin and Sephiroth; the three bosses in the game designed to explicitly shut down that manner of play.
Yeah, and unfortunately that kind of ties to the concerns somone had over the critical reception of Re:Mind. KH II was labeled as a button masher (deservedly so), they "rectified" that with BBS, that had you mashing triangle with a pre-planned deck instead of X, but for someone who was indeed only mashing X on Normal, that was already an improvement, and it was indeed considered an evolution of KH gameplay.

Look at how damn long it took for KH to give us more KH II style combat greatness. It's been 84 years.

Alox12

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 23, 2019
I think a lot of people were expecting this to be a final mix like package, but other than critical mode which was a separate update, the main game feels untouched.
It's pretty much a final mix, they only decided to give some typical FM stuff for free. Add CM, QoL, updated graphics, new keyblades and new abilities and there's not much of a difference.

Oct 25, 2017
2 FM only added the Roxas boss fight and some Org XIII cutscenes in the main game, and the mushrooms.

Re:mind add more compared to it lol.
Absent Silhouettes were a ton of fun as a good challenge during the main game, and the Cavern of Remembrance was the only piece of great level design in the game, but it was really damn great.

It also came with a PS2 remake of a GBA game.

It had pretty good value, all things considered.

Storywise it was pretty barebones too, though, you're right about that.

Jun 12, 2018

Alox12

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 23, 2019
I took a glance and...???

Both games added crit
Both games adjusted sora
Both games added keyblades/forms
Both games added accessories/armor
Both games added story content
Both games added additional fights/bosses
Kh2 added theater mode while kh3 added photo mode

...am I missing something? The only thing kh3 didn't add was what, mushrooms?
To be fair, some of the things that KH2FM added are already in base KH3. Mushrooms -> Flans and Puzzle pieces -> Lucky Emblems.

Oct 25, 2017
One of these two would make Re:Mind perfect, content-wise, compared to Final Mix:

A "remastered" 0.2 to bring it up to the main game's standards, especially in visuals. This would of course be a free update to owners of the original 0.2.

A new world for story events before the Limit Cut.

In my opinion, of course.

And I'm also happy with what we got, Limit Cut and Secret Boss were the things I wanted the most, anyway.

EDIT: Lucky Emblems are so much more fun than I was expecting. Started the game thinking they'd just be this annoying thing I'd have to do to get Oathkeeper, but now I've already got all 90 and I can't even unlock it before finishing the game anyway. Would be more than happy with at least 30 more, hahaha.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
It just feels like there's something missing. It's insane to me that after all the hollering they still did not add a collesium or more than a casual nod to FF.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
To be fair, some of the things that KH2FM added are already in base KH3. Mushrooms -> Flans and Puzzle pieces -> Lucky Emblems.
Yeah. A lot of the expected type of extra content in a Final Mix was either already implemented in the main game (Flan Heartless & Lucky Emblems) or came via free update (Critical Mode, new keyblades/forms, new abilities, slight rebalancing) with Re:Mind bringing up the rear in the post game department.

Really, the only thing separating this from the Final Mixes is the lack of recolored heartless, and I'm actually kind of starting to understand why they did that in the first place now, lol

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, and unfortunately that kind of ties to the concerns somone had over the critical reception of Re:Mind. KH II was labeled as a button masher (deservedly so), they "rectified" that with BBS, that had you mashing triangle with a pre-planned deck instead of X, but for someone who was indeed only mashing X on Normal, that was already an improvement, and it was indeed considered an evolution of KH gameplay.

Look at how damn long it took for KH to give us more KH II style combat greatness. It's been 84 years.
Nomura & Co just wanted to experiment on the combat system/gameplay features with all the portable games past II. The departures from KHII had very little to do with feedback and more just them trying to be a bit more experimental with the lower budget, less risky projects which they knew they couldn't do with the next mainline title, then bringing some of what they had learned (& had feedback from) back to the next big mainline KH that was more in line with II.