• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Nomura & Co just wanted to experiment on the combat system/gameplay features with all the portable games past II. The departures from KHII had very little to do with feedback and more just them trying to be a bit more experimental with the lower budget, less risky projects which they knew they couldn't do with the next mainline title, then bringing some of what they had learned (& had feedback from) back to the next big mainline KH that was more in line with II.
Well, that's great to learn, then! I guess they didn't expect it to take that long for the next mainline title when they made that decision, huh.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that's great to learn, then! I guess they didn't expect it to take that long for the next mainline title when they made that decision, huh.
They didn't know it would take 13 years, of course, lol, but pretty much immediately after KHII's initial Japanese release Nomura did say that he had another big (console) project he would focus on before tackling KHIII (Versus XIII) that would also lend them time to be able to do his vision of KHIII justice (as in, learning to develop on then new hardware). Around the same time he also said that there were some stories he'd like to tell in the KH universe to build up to KHIII but he was unsure how to tell them (those turned out to be Days, Coded and BBS), so they did probably know that it wouldn't just be, like, only 4 years between II and III and were preparing at least the initial batch of portable spinoffs as an answer to that.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if the game's design would suffer too much, considering some people criticize III for feeling like a PS2 game, but holy shit can you imagine the loading times?

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah tbh KH sitting out home consoles outside of remasters last gen was a blessing in disguise. A PS3/360 based KH3 would've probably been an unmitigated disaster.

Even in a best case scenario, it would be missing Frozen, Tangled, and Big Hero Six at the minimum. I also wonder if they would have used Pixar considering it wouldn't have come out nearly as accurate graphically, but Pirates was good enough in KH2 so they might have anyway. The pirates world too would be super gutted due to hardware limits. Only reason I would want it is that them having less worlds to choose from may have resulted in my desired but unpopular worlds, Atlantis and Treasure Planet, making it in. lol

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I didn't mention it because it's not frequent enough to really bother me, but I really dislike the gummi ship bits in this game. Surprisingly liked them in II a lot more.

But it would be best if they never came back.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I thought the Gummi Ship was super fun this time around. You're in it far less here than you are any other game, and it's super easy to become broken as hell early on. Not to mention the godlike Einhander tribute the game has.

I've always enjoyed having it as a little breather between worlds. Makes things feel like an adventure. Same for the Diving minigame in DDD.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the Gummi Ship was super fun this time around. You're in it far less here than you are any other game, and it's super easy to become broken as hell early on.

I've always enjoyed having it as a little breather between worlds. Makes things feel like an adventure. Same for the Diving minigame in DDD.
Yeah, I was surprised because I've seen a lot of positive reactions to it at launch. I understand I'm likely a minority opinion on this, and it hasn't affected my enjoyment of the game at all.

But maybe it's time we get full blown airships. Start KH IV in Treasure Planet, and we use the same ship to go to other worlds. :P

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Young Xehanort, Larxene, Marluxia, Teranort and Luxord down. They were all pretty easy (beat Larxene, Marluxia and Terranort on my first try) but some of the others have been kicking my butt for hours.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Nomura & Co just wanted to experiment on the combat system/gameplay features with all the portable games past II. The departures from KHII had very little to do with feedback and more just them trying to be a bit more experimental with the lower budget, less risky projects which they knew they couldn't do with the next mainline title, then bringing some of what they had learned (& had feedback from) back to the next big mainline KH that was more in line with II.

Don't forget, the handheld gaming market started to gain more traction with the PlayStation Portable and Nintendo DS. Putting Kingdom Hearts on those systems gave Square Enix a lot of new consumers the opportunity to enjoy Kingdom Hearts for the first time.

People complained about the platform division of Kingdom Hearts back then, but in retrospect, it was a genius move.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so close to no damaging Xemnas. I just can't seem to figure out how to get through the final phase with all the walls after his second DM.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who just went blind on the whole series and finally finished up re:mind after a 10 game marathon, I gotta say this is one weird ass dlc. Like the vast quantity of it was the exact same thing I did last night. Now I've got limitcut available and will likely get destroyed by these guys, but that's all there is? Wasnt there a bunch of FF characters shown a month or two ago? Were they cut?

I mean, I ain't missing them and feel like it works better without them if anything, but I'm kinda caught off guard by the entire dlc. I wasn't expecting anything gigantic, but I definitely expected more.

Still loved my time with all of them and cant wait for whatever comes next regardless.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
It just feels like there's something missing. It's insane to me that after all the hollering they still did not add a collesium or more than a casual nod to FF.

FF will keep getting less and less important in the games as KH continues to stand on it's own.

I called on the ReMind appearance being basically waving to the camera because that's all you can do with them now
As someone who just went blind on the whole series and finally finished up re:mind after a 10 game marathon, I gotta say this is one weird ass dlc. Like the vast quantity of it was the exact same thing I did last night. Now I've got limitcut available and will likely get destroyed by these guys, but that's all there is? Wasnt there a bunch of FF characters shown a month or two ago? Were they cut?

I mean, I ain't missing them and feel like it works better without them if anything, but I'm kinda caught off guard by the entire dlc. I wasn't expecting anything gigantic, but I definitely expected more.

Still loved my time with all of them and cant wait for whatever comes next regardless.

ReMind is basically the Final Mix equivalent of previous titles. Which are meant to compliment the story and add new a ton Super bosses while adding new cutscenes here and there.

Since you didn't play the vanilla versions of II it's harder to notice but remember that weird ass scene of Xemnas walking down stairs in complete silence for 5 min only to reveal he's talking to Aqua's armor?

That was a Final Mix addition.

Same as stuff like the Data Organization and Lingering Will's battles or the scene where Riku drops Naminé with Axel (in the original game she just disappears from the story)

In the case of ReMind they decided to tie the new scenes into a retelling of the ending that is built from the story (aka Sora's second travel) instead of making you go through the whole game again just for some scenes.

The FF cast are in a cutscene in the Limit Cut episode

Last edited:

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's story stuff in Limit Cut. That's where the FF characters show up.
Ahhh that's answers that then. I was under the impression it was just a boss rush. I didnt get ultima in the main game and reading this thread it seems like that's gonna cost me lol
FF will keep getting less and less important in the games as KH continues to stand on it's own.

I called on the ReMind appearance being basically waving to the camera because that's all you can do with them now

ReMind is basically the Final Mix equivalent of previous titles. Which are meant to compliment the story and add new a ton of Super bosses while adding new cutscenes here and there.

Since you didn't play the vanilla versions of II it's harder to notice but remember that weird ass scene of Xemnas walking down stairs in complete silence for 5 min only to reveal he's talking to Aqua's armor?

That was and Final Mix addition.

In the case of ReMind they decided to tie the new scenes into a retelling of the ending that is built from the story (aka Sora's second time travel) instead of making you go through the whole game again just for some scenes

Ah makes sense. I guess it stood out a bit more to me here since like you say I never played them vanilla so was always doing the updated versions the ita pretty directly a redux of the end. Probably wouldnt have felt as out of place if I'd beat the game at launch last year and came back for it.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, I didn't mention it because it's not frequent enough to really bother me, but I really dislike the gummi ship bits in this game. Surprisingly liked them in II a lot more.

But it would be best if they never came back.
I loved the gummi ship in 3 / was amazed at how expansive and content rich it was. It's just something games don't do anymore because it's too expensive and time consuming to build.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
Finally defeated the Secret boss.
At first I though that I would have never made it but I learned his openings and after 2 days, I got him on Proud Mode. Now I have to do the same on Critical but for now, I'm going to work on the Risk Taker Trophy.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
Yay. No damaged Marluxia with all pro codes except default status at max level crit. Next up is equipping all pro codes for the fight.

Oct 25, 2017
FINALLY GOT THE 6 ORICHALCUM+, YISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

FUCK THE GUMMI SHIP FOREVER

FUCK FROZEN SLIDER

I'll never watch that fucking movie.

GIME ULTIMA

Tomorrow I'll probably get it. Maybe finish the game? Depends on how long the final stretch is. Think I'll do the Battle Gates before the DLC, equip Zero EXP to not overlevel and have some fun with Ultima, Oblivion and Oathkeeper.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
FINALLY GOT THE 6 ORICHALCUM+, YISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

FUCK THE GUMMI SHIP FOREVER

FUCK FROZEN SLIDER

I'll never watch that fucking movie.

GIME ULTIMA

Tomorrow I'll probably get it. Maybe finish the game? Depends on how long the final stretch is. Think I'll do the Battle Gates before the DLC, equip Zero EXP to not overlevel and have some fun with Ultima, Oblivion and Oathkeeper.
Congrats

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Ultima Weapon being absolutely the strongest keyblade in its respective game for the first time since KH1* is one of my favorite things about KH3.

*It's probably the best keyblade in Re:Coded too, but that's a bit murkier since keyblade stats aren't a thing in that game.

Oct 25, 2017
Are any of the original combo abilities worth still having on or is it better to just unequip everything and rely exclusively on the 1.09 abilities?