• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Improved Magic Flash finisher might have good aoe, but I still can't stand how bad it feels that I will never use it ever again.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Err, why is patch 1.10 12GB on PS4? I really don't want to say 'lazy devs', but going by the patch notes, this is taking the piss a bit.

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, this is weird. It definitely said 12GB, but it definitely did not download that much and it's now copied and installed. How strange.

For what it's worth, I feel like Playstation just lies about all of this stuff; they go in the background and allocate a *huge* chunk of (mostly unneeded) space, pre-allocate that, then download a much smaller file and install it in that block, keeping a lot of the unallocated portions for future, quicker use. If your PS *doesn't* work that way, then I have a secret NSA model that is actually snapping nudes of me while I'm in my room playing with myself. On my PS4, duh.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Ugh.

I managed to beat Marluxia (came to the wire here but had an epic finish), Dark Riku (surprising easy, he's very counterable and I just used Simba to get through his DM), and Luxord (a little annoying). So that's good.

But I'm getting completely demolished by Saix. Any particular tips? I can usually get to his 2nd (3rd?) berserk state (where he's gliding at the bottom and then the spin attacks come at you) but during there or right after I lose.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh.

I managed to beat Marluxia (came to the wire here but had an epic finish), Dark Riku (surprising easy, he's very counterable and I just used Simba to get through his DM), and Luxord (a little annoying). So that's good.

But I'm getting completely demolished by Saix. Any particular tips? I can usually get to his 2nd (3rd?) berserk state (where he's gliding at the bottom and then the spin attacks come at you) but during there or right after I lose.
for the berserk move I just glided high on the air, and press dodge for the spin attacks coming at me when I see it.
If the stun is an issue, I heard BH6 keyblade has no stun ability so you could try using that keyblade.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
for the berserk move I just glided high on the air, and press dodge for the spin attacks coming at me when I see it.
If the stun is an issue, I heard BH6 keyblade has no stun ability so you could try using that keyblade.

I glide and dodge, sometimes the timing is just off and I can't heal and get screwed, or something else screws me :x

Also I had a Master Medal with stun protect so was just using that

I guess I just need to keep at it

I managed to beat Ansem though, was close towards the end again

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I glide and dodge, sometimes the timing is just off and I can't heal and get screwed, or something else screws me :x

Also I had a Master Medal with stun protect so was just using that

I guess I just need to keep at it

I managed to beat Ansem though, was close towards the end again
yeah I guess you just have to get used to the timing. I think many consider Saix one of the harder/annoying fight so a lot of people struggle with him (including me).

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

Xehanort down, and whew what a fight. I feel like I lucked out at the end. I just went to town on him with Ultimate Form and thankfully it was enough to beat him before he could recover. If I had to pick my top 3 data fights it'd be Xion, Xemnas, and Luxord.

I'll...pick away at the secret boss. I'm not too concerned with getting that done right now lol

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If we're ranking the data fights I'd say the top 3 are

1. Xemnas
2. Vanitas
3. Ansem

I love all 13 though.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So just finished the DLC, or ''finished'' because I couldn't beat the secret boss, but I don't care at this point and just looked up the ending on Youtube. Looking back, I was super hyped for this but it's just too overpriced for what's basically a hard boss mode. The difficulty curve on standard makes absolutely no sense and it feels like it's done only to make the DLC seem/last longer. It has no business being this difficult on standard, while being level 99 and having the Ultima weapon.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
My Data fight rankings: (I think all of them are great to be honest, so this is really just ranking which ones I like more than the others)

13. Saix - Great fight. I think his DM lasts a little too long, but other than that, I don't mind him too much.

12. Luxord - Massive improvement over the KH2FM incarnation. This one I can actually see myself fighting for fun.

11. Larxene - Better than the KH2FM incarnation for sure. The DM is hectic, but manageable.

10. Xigbar - I like this about as much as the KH2FM version. The reaction command is sick as hell, too.

9. Dark Riku - This fight can take a while to wrap ypur head around, but it really is a good example of controlled chaos in boss design. That DM is satisfying to navigate, too.

8. Marluxia - Really, really fun fight. Great use of unblockable attacks, and the spin on the few returning attacks from KH2FM are appreciated. I love fire spells being able to instantly destroy his armor.

7. Vanitas - Pretty awesome fight. I love that you can just flat out nope.jpg his DM.

6. Young Xehanort - Makes for a fantastic warm up for the other fights while still being a threat in his own right. Osaka Team's come a long way from Mysterious Figure.

5. Terra-Xehanort - Really fun fight, and I like how his DM runs counter to literally every other one in the game; the less mobile you are, the better.

4. Master Xehanort - I personally consider him the true final boss of the game (with the secret boss being the ultimate superboss above that) He can be kind of overwhelming if he knocks you off tilt (and that DM, holy crap) but he's pretty fair through it all, and really makes you work for those openings.

3. Xion - I feel like Xion kinda falls into that controlled chaos category I mentioned in regards to Riku earlier where the fight itself looks a lot scarier than it actually is. Nonetheless, she definitely keeps you on your toes (especially if you want those Risk Dodge openings), and makes for a worthy successor to Data Roxas in KH2FM.

2. Ansem - I love that giving the Guardian to Terranort left them free to go balls out with projectiles and traps for Ansem's moveset. His DM phase is a joy to survive (and I appreciate it giving underused accessories like the various Rosette equips some use as well).

1. Xemnas - As good as this entire bunch is, Data Xemnas is just on another level entirely. It's perfectly paced. It makes fantastic use of Sora's toolkit (Be it all the fun ways to shut down his multiple shields OR using them to flowmotion in for an opening). And all of this is topped off by him having hands down, the best DM in the entire series. There isn't a single DM in the series that makes you feel as badass when you block the entire thing as his. It's the perfect example of the series expertly balancing flash with substance.

I could go on and on about them, but I'll stop. It's been said countless times since the DLC dropped, but it really can't be stated enough just how phenomenal these boss fights are from a design perspective. Along with the secret boss (who is currently kicking my ass), these are the best boss fights in the series by a pretty significant margin.

Oct 25, 2017
So I just started the data fights and... fuck, this sucks. I started with Young Ansem and this is either bad luck (as in, he's the hardest) or I don't see myself being able to beat this on Proud. I've gotten him down to the second time he does that bullshit attack; I can block almost everything, but I've put hours into this thing and I feel like my wrist is about to give out. Someone, please, tell me this is as hard as it gets. If it gets worse than this I feel like I should toss in the towel :(

Like, I beat Sekiro, and this is harder than 90% of Sekiro fights imo.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
So I just started the data fights and... fuck, this sucks. I started with Young Ansem and this is either bad luck (as in, he's the hardest) or I don't see myself being able to beat this on Proud. I've gotten him down to the second time he does that bullshit attack; I can block almost everything, but I've put hours into this thing and I feel like my wrist is about to give out. Someone, please, tell me this is as hard as it gets. If it gets worse than this I feel like I should toss in the towel :(

I felt the same way, but I made it.
It was hard as shit, but it's doable with practice and learning their patterns

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Young Xehanort is on the lower end difficulty wise, but he's a great tutorial. Keep in mind you're essentially learning how to play the game for the first time due to how easy the base game is on proud.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Fuck this awful wannabe Assassin Creed Sea ship battle...do I have to do this...? you can retry but if you hit continue,it takes away your ship level...? I was up to 6 and now back at 3...? should be higher then 6...?

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
I beat the Secret Boss and holy fuck man, what a journey that was.

This is the first time I've beaten all Superbosses in a KH game (unless you count Sephiroth in vanilla KH2) and it's some of the most fun I've had with the series in a long time.

I already had a pretty good opinion on KH3 but this DLC and these boss fights are exactly what I needed.

I only wish you got a Keyblade from the Secret Boss, but the rewards themselves are nice enough.

Oct 25, 2017
yeah I guess you just have to get used to the timing. I think many consider Saix one of the harder/annoying fight so a lot of people struggle with him (including me).

I refer to Saix as deceptively hard. He was the first of the data fights that I had any success at (I was getting 3-4 health bars down at a point where I was struggling to get two on most of the others), but he's kind of hard to wrap your head around for the rest of the fight. While say someone like Terranort might seem intimidating at first, but then you realize he has a lot of openings and obvious attack patterns, Saix is always threatening you in some way and you have to just kind of get used to him.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I beat the Secret Boss and holy fuck man, what a journey that was.

This is the first time I've beaten all Superbosses in a KH game (unless you count Sephiroth in vanilla KH2) and it's some of the most fun I've had with the series in a long time.

I already had a pretty good opinion on KH3 but this DLC and these boss fights are exactly what I needed.

I only wish you got a Keyblade from the Secret Boss, but the rewards themselves are nice enough.
Hearing the voice of the driver was reward enough for me lol. It's so perfectly stupid / awesome.

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all were right. I *just* beat the motherfucker. I was ready to break and use items, but I decided to give it a few more goes: my biggest problem was relying on the alternate sword modes when just regular mode was better so I could do the "dodge" move to get behind him for an opening.

I think I gotta take a break now for the wrist lol, but I'm pretty happy I got him down. I do feel like I'm starting to learn how to play in a way that I didn't, so that bit of advice really helped me get out of my wrong way of thinking about it.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, fuck Xion???

who decided to blow the bullshit budget all on her? HP cap drain (and why the fuck does the tip, that took forever to show up, tell you to use healing items when they don't fix it??), outright STUNNING for lengthy periods of time, invincible armor phase where she loves to do both and it's hard to wear her down unless the camera behaves for Shotlock, that late chaotic dashing phase (that... I handled fairly well the last time, until the ridiculously long stun I got hit with at the end let her casually kill me!), she didn't need all this at once

this stun -> whoops can't do anything while I drain your HP cap or you certainly risk death -> whoops now you have no HP meter to heal anyway! nonsense is just rude, imo

At least after 45 minutes I realized that I uhhhh never turned certain abilities back on after Luxord so I'd done Marluxia + Terra + Vanitas with these off:
Quick Slash
Flash Step
Radial Blaster
Aerial Sweep
Aerial Dive
Falling Slash

I don't even know why those were all off? It's not like they all were going to mess me up for the cards, I guess I wanted to be extra safe? So that was a fun handicap I didn't know was on! Turned those back on and then following tips earlier in the thread, turned off:
Aerial Dodge
Speed Slash
Triple Rush
Magic Flash
Sonic Slash
Sonic Cleave

And that sorta helped but I'm still playing real messily. At some point my mashing somehow morphed into fairly successful instinctual guarding/dodging/countering, but it still not good enough and I'm not paying enough attention. I guess I'm throwing myself at it again with a cooler head tomorrow. This actually wasn't with the latest patch, either, and I'm hoping that helps at least a little with the recovery glitch as that may help me stay alive a little more. Ugh.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
So the data bosses are too difficult for me on Proud. I plan on using the cheat codes to speed through the game and DLC on either normal or easy difficulty. I don't mind dropping down to easy, but I'd like to try normal first if it is significantly easier than proud mode for the data bosses. Which should I do?

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the data bosses are too difficult for me on Proud. I plan on using the cheat codes to speed through the game and DLC on either normal or easy difficulty. I don't mind dropping down to easy, but I'd like to try normal first if it is significantly easier than proud mode for the data bosses. Which should I do?
I'd try Standard first.

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not the one to offer much advice since I'm struggling on it myself (though I think it's doable like many have said if you take the time to learn all the tells) but would it make any difference to level up in the main game? Granted, I'm like level 80 or something on my file, but I can take a couple hits. If you leveled to 100 would that take the edge off a bit, or are stats 'fixed' or something in these data battles?

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Can get this secret boss into phase 2 pretty comfortably now. He's been a fun fight to learn, I can't believe the team that made base KH3 made these fights.

Also, ability wise, what should I be turning off? Especially with the new 1.09 post game abilities.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Can get this secret boss into phase 2 pretty comfortably now. He's been a fun fight to learn, I can't believe the team that made base KH3 made these fights.

Also, ability wise, what should I be turning off? Especially with the new 1.09 post game abilities.
I turned off Magic Flash for the new finisher. And other combo modifiers like the 3 circular strike thing.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I GOT HIM!!

WOOOOOO

That was so exhilarating, I finished a combo with him on 1 hp and then he did his stupid disappearing attack four times in a row (when I had no elixir's left) before a standard combo where I could block his sword and counter to get the kill.

Takatomon

Oct 25, 2017
YES FINALLY
Managed to beat Master Xehanort yesterday after cheesing the DM with Ariel. Fuck any fight that starts with a whole minute of unblockable things AND an unskippable cutscene. I'd love to actually learn the DM pattern but I have no interest in doing the rest of the fight repeatedly to get there.

Tried Xion for a little bit and wow the difference is night and day. Much better.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
YES FINALLY
Managed to beat Master Xehanort yesterday after cheesing the DM with Ariel. Fuck any fight that starts with a whole minute of unblockable things AND an unskippable cutscene. I'd love to actually learn the DM pattern but I have no interest in doing the rest of the fight repeatedly to get there.

Tried Xion for a little bit and wow the difference is night and day. Much better.
A whole minute of unblockable things? He always does the blizzard attack near the start which is the easiest block + counter in his arsenal. Then after the two second cutscene you dodge a couple of attacks and he's vulnerable, where comboing him will instantly end the mini-DM.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
YES FINALLY

Xehanort's meteors are all blockable, though there's a pattern you have to follow since you have to deal with the cannons too. I believe it's block, block >> dodge roll >> block the rest. As soon as that ends, go towards the north end of the stage and anticipate him, his ice grenade thing can be parried and doing so (you have to be close to him otherwise it'll go off) will be a counterattack opportunity.

The DM (the shiny, yellow area, right?) is troublesome, but there's a good way to deal with it too. Dodge roll that wave attack he always starts with, I suggest going sideways but forward will be fine too. He'll then teleport in front of you to throw one of those damned explosive projectiles so dodge roll forward. Afterwards, he'll show up to your right and throw two projectiles again. You only need to dodge roll once (towards him, ideally) and you'll be good. One last time, he'll teleport and appear farther away from you to throw more projectiles. Prepare for that because as soon as he shows up, you can Airstep to him and land a full combo to end the DM.

Takatomon

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I can no damage his whole first phase before the DM. I just think it's shitty. He has more unblockable than blockable things going on, with all the lasers, explosions and thunders.
Didn't know about the ice thing, though. I always dodged both the ice and the fire.

The DM (the shiny, yellow area, right?) is troublesome, but there's a good way to deal with it too. Dodge roll that wave attack he always starts with, I suggest going sideways but forward will be fine too. He'll then teleport in front of you to throw one of those damned explosive projectiles so dodge roll forward. Afterwards, he'll show up to your right and throw two projectiles again. You only need to dodge roll once (towards him, ideally) and you'll be good. One last time, he'll teleport and appear farther away from you to throw more projectiles. Prepare for that because as soon as he shows up, you can Airstep to him and land a full combo to end the DM.
Thanks for the tips. I was halfway through learning the DM before I decided to cheese it, so I don't think I'll do that fight again any time soon.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, fuck Xion??
Xion is one of the easiest ones. Just stand still and guard everything except the white light pillars in her armor mode and DM. Note that the slams she does at the start of her armor phases don't count as white light pillars so you can block them (and she's open after the final one so counter slash and go to town).

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I have had Saix down to like a single combo of health left twice and managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory both times. FML.

These fights on critical are fun, but man, so punishing to lose all your health in 2 hits when you've got the best equipment and level 99. Missing one block can really screw you..

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't play too much yesterday or today, but I got the Ultima Weapon! :D

Can't wait to use it in the final stretch. Kind of wish the passive abilities weren't just tied to the form, it would be great to have Second Chance, Withstand Combo and Leaf Bracer as default Ultima abilities for Level 1.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Fuck yeah just beat Saix. Just had to watch a video. Found out he has an extra opening during one of his big downward strikes, and during his sweep DM you can glide towards one side of the screen and stay there, when the circles come at you you can just dodge towards them. Sometimes he throws two at a time, if you do that the iframes will get you through both of them.

Side note, also killed Terra Xehanort...surprisingly easy. Still died several times, but he has a lot of openings, general moveset isn't too crazy, and his DM isn't bad at all.

Last one I got unlocked now is Xemnas.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm here for moral support again. Working on the second boss, Dark Riku. It's been rough as fuck. Just got him down to 4 bars, which is my best run yet, but I have to rely on a LOT to make that happen. 1) I have to rely on good starting RNG; I can cut through 2 bars early if he does a certain pattern, 2) I have to rely on dark mode actually connecting -- that's another 2 bars. Then when he goes into bullshit Riku mode where he screams "Think fast x1000" I just use that Simba attack and run around in circles jumping hoping I have enough health. Sometimes I'll pop right out of that into dark mode to give myself a bit of health. Then I have to rely on good RNG with the red lightning; that's my primary attack oppening that I take which is worth a bar everytime I manage it. I know it's just a matter of time, but I have wanted to rip my hair out more than a few times already since it feels like this guy has one opening I can exploit and so much BS that can happen.