• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xarius

Oct 28, 2017
That seems a bit too high, I can 100% KH2 in 20/25 hours.

Sure, but that 100% time is with skipping scenes and already being familiar with the game. You're not going to Platinum KH2 in 20 hours the first time playing through while watching cutscenes, which is what the 80-hour estimate would be for. That being said, I still think 80 hours is a bit long; I'm expecting something like 50-60.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe it'll be that long. The previous games were 20 hours at most, maybe 30 if you wanted to do everything. The worlds would have to be 10 times the size.
Lol no. The bigger KH games are easily 30-35 hours for main story alone and a lot more for full completion (on the first playthrough), unless you are specifically rushing through the games, skipping battles and doing as little exploration as possible.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
50 hours for main stuff only sounds high. My current first-time run through of the series has only had KH2 approach that with 35, and that's with a lot of side content included.

Hopefully the game has the content to back it up, and we aren't just looking at 4 rooms of heartless to kill to the next cutscene instead of 2.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I believe it. It took me about that long to finish the other games never mind completing them. Can't wait to waste days on boss battles again.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
50 hours for main stuff only sounds high. My current first-time run through of the series has only had KH2 approach that with 35, and that's with a lot of side content included.

Hopefully the game has the content to back it up, and we aren't just looking at 4 rooms of heartless to kill to the next cutscene instead of 2.
It doesn't sound that high when we know worlds are bigger than ever and just how much story they need to go through in the game if they want to wrap up everything they've set up (which is what they have said they'll do).

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
Is that sorta thing still a selling point for people? I can't remember the last time I got hyped about a game because I knew it was gonna keep me busy for X number of hours. I'd rather know how much variety there is and if it's gonna be... like uh... fun.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Is that sorta thing still a selling point for people? I can't remember the last time I got hyped about a game because I knew it was gonna keep me busy for X number of hours. I'd rather know how much variety there is and if it's gonna be... like uh... fun.
Well, you only have to take a look at a couple different KHIII trailers to see how much variety it has (between and within worlds, in the moment to moment gameplay and overall) and it also looks fun as hell. Not much need to worry about those things. I imagine people want this to be an epic, content-packed conclusion and these sorts of estimates give a rough idea that it really is such.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OOF that sounds AWESOME so a huge game, this game man i need it!
Ah resident evil 2 remake and this a few days before and after my bday! Damn this is gonna be the best birthday ever :)

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
That seems a bit too high, I can 100% KH2 in 20/25 hours.
Also I still am waiting for S-E to confirm French dub, just like KH 1 and 2 had, before pre-ordering, I'm extremely worried they will skip it and forcing us to play with English dub while we growed up with French one is totally going to be a deal breaker.

You aren't normal at all. Most people have times that run into 80+ hours and not fully complete.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's absurd bullshit of the highest order. Every KH game is about 30 hours on a casual playthrough, with optional stuff being an additional 10-15 at most.

Given that Nomura quote above where he says each BBS character would take 15 hours (which is roughly double a 7-8 hour normal completion time) the game being about 40-60 hours with optional stuff would be more appropriate.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's absurd bullshit of the highest order. Every KH game is about 30 hours on a casual playthrough, with optional stuff being an additional 10-15 at most.

Given that Nomura quote above where he says each BBS character would take 15 hours (which is roughly double a 7-8 hour normal completion time) the game being about 40-60 hours with optional stuff would be more appropriate.
HLTB puts an average completionist play through for KH2 Final Mix at over 70 hours so I'm not sure why this seems so crazy to people.

Marluxia

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That seems very long compared to other KH games. I had platinumed KH2FM inside 45 hours.

Not that it's a bad thing unless the side quests are annoying as fuck like that ice cream shit from BBS.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
HLTB puts an average completionist play through for KH2 Final Mix at over 70 hours so I'm not sure why this seems so crazy to people.
Because "completionist" in KH doesnt really mean much. The optional content in final mix is just a bunch of really tough, but very short, boss fights, and grinding monsters and minigames for exp and synthesis materials.

It's 35 hours at most to complete the main story. If you get a playtime of 70 hours it means you spent 35 grinding.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Because "completionist" in KH doesnt really mean much. The optional content in final mix is just a bunch of really tough, but very short, boss fights, and grinding monsters and minigames for exp and synthesis materials.

It's 35 hours at most to complete the main story. If you get a playtime of 70 hours it means you spent 35 grinding.
...That means the extra content took that long though? We're talking pure playtime, not quality of said playtime, right?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Just think, instead of "I'm Sora, this is Donald....and Goofy" in every world, now we're gonna get "I'm Sora, this is Donald, and Goofy, and Mickey, and we're looking for a girl named Aqua and two boys named Terra and Ventus."

In every. single. world.
giphy.gif

Eintopf

Jul 8, 2018
UK
I reckon that KHIII will be longer than any other game. It has a lot of plot points to go through, the worlds will be much larger and I think there'll be more side-content than in other games too. However I do think the estimate may be a little bit too generous though.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait until I can beat it in 6 hours. whats the official world count for KH3 again? I feel like we've seen them all except for BH6 right?

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
...That means the extra content took that long though? We're talking pure playtime, not quality of said playtime, right?
Yes and no? An 80 hour completion time for KH3 doesn't really mean a whole lot if, like KH2, it's around 40 hours of unique content and dozens of hours of material grinding.

That's why I said that "completionist" times dont mean very much. This series has a good amount of high quality optional content (extra bosses) but also a large amount of grindy crap (synthesis, gummi missions, minigames)

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait until I can beat it in 6 hours. whats the official world count for KH3 again? I feel like we've seen them all except for BH6 right?

So far the roster of playable worlds is:
  • Twilight Town/Mysterious Tower
  • Hercules
  • Toy Story
  • Monster's Inc
  • Tangled
  • Frozen
  • Pirates of the Caribbean at Worlds End
  • Big Hero 6
Nomura confirmed Big Hero 6 will likely be shown next in a trailer so I'd expect that at Tokyo Game Show. Also given that it doesn't make sense to end the world reveals with one we've known about (BH6) and Nomura saying his favorite world hasn't been revealed I'm willing to bet there's gonna be one final Disney World revealed as well giving us 8 in total.

We've also seen some other worlds through cutscenes Land of Departure, Dark World, and Radiant Garden but have yet to see them in gameplay just yet.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yes and no? An 80 hour completion time for KH3 doesn't really mean a whole lot if, like KH2, it's around 40 hours of unique content and dozens of hours of material grinding.

That's why I said that "completionist" times dont mean very much. This series has a good amount of high quality optional content (extra bosses) but also a large amount of grindy crap (synthesis, gummi missions, minigames)
If you cut out grindy crap from JRPG playtimes they'll all clock in at under five hours.

OH NO HE DIDN'T

Seriously though I see where you're coming from and I know that quality of the content obviously does factor in. Whether or not the inflated playtime is good playtime is everything in a conversation about how we should take the news that a game has an impressively long playtime. I'm just saying that, at a baseline, people can and do take 70+ hours to do everything in KH2 Final Mix so an 80 hour completionist playtime for KH3 doesn't seem super outlandish to me. This is especially true because of KH3's shift to more "miniature sandboxes" for its worlds. It seems like it could take longer to fully explore them and the time it takes to get from point A to point B could further inflate things.

I don't think this is necessarily a great thing, I just think it's a believable thing.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
It's from a PR rep... So while I would love that amount of content, I wouldn't put too much weight on what PR reps say
It's about in-line with the previous entries in the franchise, I don't see a lot of reason to doubt them on this one. I was hoping for a longer game since based on 0.2 the worlds seem more involved now but 40 hours is still plenty of gameplay for a single playthrough

ZoSo006

Oct 25, 2017
Winnipeg
Well I finished both 1 & 2 with 45-50 hours played and that's including alot of side quests and some grinding so 40-50 houra for the story alone if true is pretty sweet.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If the extra content has the same quality of KH2's extra's, then I will be one happy guy.

Can't wait for this game.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Of course it is, and then most of them won't even finish the game.

Yep. Developer/PR estimates are always wildly inflated.

I mean they're just trying to estimate for an average person, who is not you or me. The "casual" people I talk to about video games actually do fall in line with these supposedly inflated estimates almost every time.

Xarius

Oct 28, 2017
So far the roster of playable worlds is:
  • Twilight Town/Mysterious Tower
  • Hercules
  • Toy Story
  • Monster's Inc
  • Tangled
  • Frozen
  • Pirates of the Caribbean at Worlds End
  • Big Hero 6
Nomura confirmed Big Hero 6 will likely be shown next in a trailer so I'd expect that at Tokyo Game Show. Also given that it doesn't make sense to end the world reveals with one we've known about (BH6) and Nomura saying his favorite world hasn't been revealed I'm willing to bet there's gonna be one final Disney World revealed as well giving us 8 in total.

We've also seen some other worlds through cutscenes Land of Departure, Dark World, and Radiant Garden but have yet to see them in gameplay just yet.

I kind of feel like there must be at least two more Disney worlds, because of Nomura's quote about there being fewer Disney worlds than KH2, and 8 worlds would put it below KH1.

That being said, there aren't many more opportunities to reveal worlds at this point, and he said we'd know all of them before release. A Big Hero 6 gameplay reveal at Tokyo Game Show seems likely, and we'll probably get a world reveal at Jump Festa. Not sure where else they'd be likely to reveal a world, though they could sneak in something like the 100 Acre Wood along with the Big Hero 6 trailer (which could be Nomura's favorite; I feel like he's expressed that this world is one of his favorites before).

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of feel like there must be at least two more Disney worlds, because of Nomura's quote about there being fewer Disney worlds than KH2, and 8 worlds would put it below KH1.

That being said, there aren't many more opportunities to reveal worlds at this point, and he said we'd know all of them before release. A Big Hero 6 gameplay reveal at Tokyo Game Show seems likely, and we'll probably get a world reveal at Jump Festa. Not sure where else they'd be likely to reveal a world, though they could sneak in something like the 100 Acre Wood along with the Big Hero 6 trailer (which could be Nomura's favorite; I feel like he's expressed that this world is one of his favorites before).

This is true. They do have a couple more major opportunities in terms of events to show the game.

If we only count Japan shows we got Tokyo Game Show in mid-September and Jump Festa in December. Both can show off a brand new Disney world. There's also the possibility of using events in the US like The Game Awards or event PSX. While it's true they are running out of room since I don't see Gamescom getting anything KH3-related aside from the demo kiosks I think they can still throw in another meaty reveal.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
shit lol... That's longer than I'd like tbh. Mainly because I have less time to play games lately, and I have a huge backlog.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
They updated their article to reflect that they were guessing that there would be 80+ hours of content and that Square Enix have yet to actually finalise the games exact length.

EthanKart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These numbers are usually inflated. I'd bet it takes probably closer to 20-30 hours on a casual play-through to beat the main story