• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kingdom Hearts or Kingdom Hearts II?

• KH

Votes: 149 29.3%
  • KH2

Votes: 359 70.7%

• Total voters

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Well yes, the character development might be better. And the story was fine. But KH2's stuff with the Organization's motives, Roxas, and Riku are all incredibly intriguing. At least in the Final Mix version. The gameplay is impeccable, but that's a given. The level design is serviceable to me. They didn't go above and beyond, sure. But it beats Monstro. Or Deep Jungle. Or Wonderland.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Excuse me

the story in kh1 is better? The story that only pops up at the very beginning and the very end of the game? Yah no.

i do love the weighty combat of kh1, though.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Slightly off topic but I m playing kh3 and it's my first game of franchise and what a ridiculous story line . Someone memory is wiped and organization 13 is responsible and now they wanna make someone puppet but they have internal battle of good and darkness and they will use 7 light and 13 darknessss to start the key war . I mean come on , couldn't you make it more straight forward lol especially when my companion is Donald Duck and goofy xD

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Gameplay always comes first for me. I love KH1, its the reason its my favorite video game series ever. But its a clunky ass game thats incredibly imbalanced and regardless its story or worlds, that alone makes it not as good for me. In regards to the worlds, some KH1's worlds are good but its a mixed bag and the clunky controls make pretty much all the platforming unfun which detracts from the worlds. KH2's are less interesting and far more linear in nature, but is made up for by being less claustrophobic which makes the combat and camera better. The story is obviously simpler in KH1 and thats probably a good thing. Easy to follow, easy to care about it, etc. I personally like all the bullshit that happens after KH1 but its understandable why people like the first games story. Also KH2's music is better, thats a fact.

And the biggest thing of all, that separates the good from the absolute pinnacle of ARPG's, and what makes KH2 the best KH game and the best in the genre, is FM+ Critical Mode. The only time in the series they ever looked back at what they had, created a difficulty mode from the ground up to create a perfectly tuned, perfectly challenging mode that makes you say:

"DAMN, THIS IS GAME DESIGN!"

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Slightly off topic but I m playing kh3 and it's my first game of franchise and what a ridiculous story line . Someone memory is wiped and organization 13 is responsible and now they wanna make someone puppet but they have internal battle of good and darkness and they will use 7 light and 13 darknessss to start the key war . I mean come on , couldn't you make it more straight forward lol especially when my companion is Donald Duck and goofy xD
This will make zero sense to you (it's from the game before KH3), but it's the funniest shit:

tumblr_mhtxrgfTMB1qbc2ylo3_500.gif

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who is just now playing through the series for the first time, absolutely not. I was so ready to move on to KH2 about 3/4 of the way through KH1.

The level design in KH1 is so confusing with no map, and the progression was basically randomly go through different sections of the level to trigger the next cutscene, which included backtracking to previous areas for no reason.

Platforming was also incredibly frustrating before getting traversal abilities late in the game.

The camera was always too damn close to Sora, and there were numerous times that I couldn't see what the heck was happening in battle because of it.

Also the final boss seems impossible if you didn't grind some levels at some point in the game.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Honestly they can go both ways for me. Doesn't really matter. They are both masterpieces compared to the train wreck that is KH3.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I feel like some of y'all forget the main point of a game is to be fun to play. Kingdom Hearts 1 is damn near a chore compared to KH2. Combat is 70% of the game...

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
I feel validated. I played KH1 last year, and thought it was much superior than anything else I've played in the series. It has that magic and charm the other games lack, and the difficulty balance is perfect. Battle system is just enough with out the over the top nonsense the the other game's battle systems feature.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Level design in KH1 is atrocious. Not even by KH standards but by videogame standards.

And add me to the people who think DDD is the worst game in the series. It's so boring and the additions to combat are dumb. It also has the worst story.

Onclemol

Oct 12, 2019
France
After revisiting both game not that long ago (HD Remixes) I think KH1 aged very poorly gameplay wise.
KH2 stay my favorite game in the serie and one of my faorite games ever.
The story may be a bit convoluted in 2 but I think it's way better than KH1's.
Battle is also largely superior.
The only thing KH1 does better (IMHO) is Ansem voice :D

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Nah. I held the opinion that the first was the better game when I was a kid but it was because I didn't understand what the fuck was going on between the first and second games.

after replaying the HD versions last year, KH2 is the superior game even though I think some of the locations are a little weaker but some are so interesting it kind of outweighs the weaker 2-3.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
I agree with you OP on all points except for the ending cinematic as I prefer the first game's. For intro cinematic there is no question that KH2 is king.

Really it comes down to KH2 having more minor things I hate when compared to KH1 from a more whiny Sora to the constant grating "Sora, Donald, Goofy!". It has the higher high in Roxas' prologue though.

I actually find CoM to be the best of the original trilogy. Best dialogue in the series

Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts 1 vs 2 is the classic question of story vs gameplay to me. Aside from the drop in how much the levels ask of you, Kingdom Hearts 2 is a master class in action gaming. But 1 has an amazingly well done story where you connect with the characters and see them grow and change on their little journeys. By comparison, 2 did an OK job of following up, but was less focused, less human, and more trying to sell its complex world as cool.

I prefer 1.

Both games are ahead of 3 in both ways.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Some things about Kingdom Hearts 1 are superior in my opinion.

Sora's attacks have a lot more weight behind them. The deflection system feels really good. It doesn't have the best camera in the world, but I really liked the weight of everything. The Colosseum is also the best one in the series.

Mib

Nov 16, 2017
Everything that made KH1 great were either awful of missing in KH2. The only thing 2 does better is it's combat, but that's only because KH2 is trying to be an action game, where KH1 is trying is trying to be a 3rd person rpg (and succeeds at it).

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I adore kh1 and appreciate it for being the first but the game is not fun to play and has aged poorly. Some nonsense triggers for cutscenes and general world advancement.

It also put me to sleep. I NEVER nap. But this game did it.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
KH1 has the best story, with a cast of lovable characters on a magical journey where everything makes sense and is explained in easily understood terms. Combat is weighty and raw, with no nonsense light show spamming like in KH2. Games can be more than dispensers of immediate, visceral catharsis.

There isn't a single moment in the 17 years of KH history that matches the first visit to Hollow Bastion.

PS: Deep Jungle is underrated and I'll take it over every shitty boxy map that KH revels in with its later games.

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
Is this serious? What year is this?

exdee

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
KH1 definitely has better story pacing but I still like pretty much everything else better about KH2, especially FM

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
I mean I agree with your points but the combat in KH2 FM is so good that it really invalidates everything that's better about KH1.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts has an overall better story, pacing, level design and Disney integration. Kingdom Hearts 2 picks up on everything other than that. The combat keeps me coming back to KH2 more than KH.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I agree with your points but the combat in KH2 FM is so good that it really invalidates everything that's better about KH1.

This isn't necessarily squared at you, but is stellar combat (not much of a fan but lots of people love it) worth a downgrade in every other department, especially when KH1 had pretty good combat on its own merits?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excuse me

the story in kh1 is better? The story that only pops up at the very beginning and the very end of the game? Yah no.

i do love the weighty combat of kh1, though.

Unlike every other game in the series the KH Deepest Lore isn't the most important part of the game, it's exploring the worlds.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
KH2's level design is terrible though. Hey go left or right until the next cutscene or boss. At least KH1 tried.

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't necessarily squared at you, but is stellar combat (not much of a fan but lots of people love it) worth a downgrade in every other department, especially when KH1 had pretty good combat on its own merits?
Since it wasn't necessarily a question to them, I'll give my take:

Not as a rule, but when every part that is supposedly better in 1 is still trash, then absolutely.

A better story that is told in embarrassingly poor cutscenes that I just want to skip is worthless. More complex map design that is just a pain in the ass with the game's platforming mechanics just makes me wish it was a corridor.

If we were losing on some Dark Souls level design for more flashy combat, then it'd be a different story. But we're losing on shit tier story and level design for some of the best boss fights in Action RPG history, so it's very much worth it.

I do agree that KH I combat is also fun, though. It's also the best thing about that game.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know Monstro and Deep Jungle have an overinflated view of being the worst, but what's bad about Wonderland?
I realize all the maps are basically boxes but that one really hammers home the feeling that you're stuck in a box and because of the mechanics of certain rooms you can get stuck in mandatory room clearing

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did like the story of KH1 more because there wasn't any Organization shit present. But for the rest? KH1 has worse combat, worse camera and worse level design. KH1 did try with some verticality but it just didn't work. Its a fun game if you're used to its flaws, but KH2 holds up so much better because it actually plays well.

KH2 FM also has the best combat in the franchise.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
KH2FM > KH3 > BBS > Re:CoM > KH1

The combat in KH1 sucks ass, the platforming segments are infuriating, and a lot of the worlds are flat out boring. Alice in Wonderland was a snooze fest, and Monstro & Tarzan was platforming city which was fucking awful.

Oct 25, 2017
I did like the story of KH1 more because there wasn't any Organization shit present. But for the rest? KH1 has worse combat, worse camera and worse level design. KH1 did try with some verticality but it just didn't work. Its a fun game if you're used to its flaws, but KH2 holds up so much better because it actually plays well.

KH2 FM also has the best combat in the franchise.
The platforming that leads to the data fights is also by far the best platforming in the series, imo.

It would be great to have more of it, but between nothing and KH I platforming, I'll take nothing.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
op is on crack. kingdom hearts 2 blows kingdom hearts 1 out of the water in so many ways the few advantages the original does has are barely worth the trade-off.