Oct 25, 2017
it was pretty good, i only found the climax with fake ceasar anticlimactic... like you got this lame ass monkey alone against the whole tribe that hates him, and nobody even try to lift a finger... i know i know, fear and all that, but it's a bit too much when he's completely surrounded, they had to wait the damn eagles to do something.. And it was so obvious the eagle would come up at some point, but i would have imagined him to be a duel and the eagle helping at the last moment to make him fall, would have obviously worked better without changing much, like having the tribe being further away from the cliff, unable to help

That's a nitpick considering it's only a small part of the movie, but still

APE not monkey!

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that was disappointing. I guess I just expect too much, like a story about apes actually having, or at least forming, a meaningful society. But no, they're still just simple barbarians. And humans, despite being on the apparant verge of extinction, are still articulate, organized, and educated.

And this may be the dumbest Macguffin I've ever seen. If apes want leftover human resources, like weapons, books, technology, or whatever, then fucking try...anywhere. Literally thousands of bases & depots, gun stores, libraries, or even just homes, across the continent. You don't need a secret base behind a giant door - that none of the apes are smart enough to look for a back entrance into. All they can do is mindlessly beat on it. I'm honestly offended on their behalf.

I had much the same reaction to War: I felt we were sold, you know, a war between apes and humans. Or at least the origins of one. But nope, just apes caught on the fringes of human conflict. An insignificant story, other than the fact that the apes survived. It was actually a decent movie, other than being so unambitious. This one was, too.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Tey're not starting from zero though but with the accumulated knowledge, tech, and history of mankind to build off of, borrow from, retrofit, etc. That would certainly jumpstart some cultural developments

But they have none of that. They have no tech, they can't read, they know nothing. Noa's village is using sticks and vines. And Proximus has a human designing his pathetic tech, and reading books to him. They're living on, around, and even in human ruins, and they're doing a laughable job of even scavenging.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
you two are making me consider watching the Maze Runner movies lol.

Like they said, the scripts for them are *not good*, but there's still plenty of stuff to enjoy if you're capable of going in knowing that and being fine with it.

Esp to get a grasp on his directing style.

Though I would argue that the first Maze Runner film is by and far the best overall experience. A lot of stuff there that can give you a good picture of how he might handle a Zelda, just like Apes.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Liked the slower build up, which made the ending actually more jarring to me.

Also really got me in the mood to do a new Horizon Forbidden West playthrough.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that was disappointing. I guess I just expect too much, like a story about apes actually having, or at least forming, a meaningful society. But no, they're still just simple barbarians. And humans, despite being on the apparant verge of extinction, are still articulate, organized, and educated.

And this may be the dumbest Macguffin I've ever seen. If apes want leftover human resources, like weapons, books, technology, or whatever, then fucking try...anywhere. Literally thousands of bases & depots, gun stores, libraries, or even just homes, across the continent. You don't need a secret base behind a giant door - that none of the apes are smart enough to look for a back entrance into. All they can do is mindlessly beat on it. I'm honestly offended on their behalf.

I had much the same reaction to War: I felt we were sold, you know, a war between apes and humans. Or at least the origins of one. But nope, just apes caught on the fringes of human conflict. An insignificant story, other than the fact that the apes survived. It was actually a decent movie, other than being so unambitious. This one was, too.

i don't think the ape population is large enough to make any meaningful advances. if it spread in our earth the world over like it had in the fictional universe, there would be a population in the millions, at most, after a few hundred years. in a lot of places, apes would have gained intelligence without any useful knowledge and probably forced into conflict right away. they wouldn't be able to read or know much about the world they find themselves in because human history would be all first time info.

if there were around 15 million humans left after the simian flu, and the mutated strain 'devolved' humans to the same degree, then that would still leave 100,000 humans around the world with intelligence. there would be pockets of humanity in strongholds after the war, and would have had a huge head start in that they understood written language, human history, and scientific advancements.

after 300 years of apes being the dominant intelligent species, the world would be extremely disconnected due to a lack of transferable knowledge and a severely reduced global population.

i've not watched kingdom yet. :p

Last edited:

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I watched this approx. 12 hours ago and it's very enjoyable.

I did find the main human a bit annoying and stiff though but the ending kinda explains why

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
This had some good moments but fell short of the reboot trilogy. Some of the ape dialogue in the first 20-30mins was hard to make out.

Still mulling it over.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I enjoyed this quite a bit although they definitely rehashed a good chunk of plot points from the reboot trilogy. But I've liked all the reboot movies and this too so bring on the next one.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Gonna guess the sequel or maybe the one after that is named Future Of The Planet Of The Apes

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
Last one is probably going to be, simply, "Planet of the Apes" as a lost space ship, the Icarus (mentioned/shown a few times in Rise of the Planet of the Apes) crash lands and is basically a remake of the original film.

insane-prediction-for-kingdom-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-v0-4i7du38nn7yb1.jpg
oyusu0d3zfrz.jpg

Red Ogre

Jul 19, 2019
Under the box, Madrid
i don't think the ape population is large enough to make any meaningful advances. if it spread in our earth the world over like it had in the fictional universe, there would be a population in the millions, at most, after a few hundred years. in a lot of places, apes would have gained intelligence without any useful knowledge and probably forced into conflict right away. they wouldn't be able to read or know much about the world they find themselves in because human history would be all first time info.

if there were around 15 million humans left after the simian flu, and the mutated strain 'devolved' humans to the same degree, then that would still leave 100,000 humans around the world with intelligence. there would be pockets of humanity in strongholds after the war, and would have had a huge head start in that they understood written language, human history, and scientific advancements.

after 300 years of apes being the dominant intelligent species, the world would be extremely disconnected due to a lack of transferable knowledge and a severely reduced global population.

i've not watched kingdom yet. :p
Well, that's impressive because I think you are on point.

Also, any technology out in the open would be lost after centuries. The things in the bunker are preserved, that's the point.

Last one is probably going to be, simply, "Planet of the Apes" as a lost space ship, the Icarus (mentioned/shown a few times in Rise of the Planet of the Apes) crash lands and is basically a remake of the original film.

oyusu0d3zfrz.jpg
I've seen many people mentioning this and I just can't buy it. And the first reason is a problem with the original movie, and maybe a controversial thing to say: if an astronaut lands in a planet that has horses, plant life like Earth, a moon, 24 hours days, and humans (even if dumb), they would unmistakably recognize that planet as Earth, no matter how many smart apes are there.

But even accepting they don't, why would a voyage to Mars end up in a time travel thousands of years in the future? I don't think that fits with the more realistic tone these movies have had since Rise.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
They've already significantly deviated from the original movie by not having any traces of nuclear war. I would not be surprised if the Icarus remains a little easter egg in the first movie.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
My suggestion would be:

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes
Reckoning of the Planet of the Apes
Twilight of the Planet of the Apes

The title is the one thing the reboot series consistently get wrong. Dawn should have come first, then War and then Rise.

I wouldn't mind Tears of the Planet of the Apes.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
The title is the one thing the reboot series consistently get wrong. Dawn should have come first, then War and then Rise.
Yeah, you are correct on that! Would had made more sense.

Kind of like how Batman Forever should had been called Batman and Robin(since it's Robin debut film) and Batman and Robin should had been called Batman Forever(since it was the 4th movie and using the word for would make sense for it).

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They've already significantly deviated from the original movie by not having any traces of nuclear war.

There's still time.

The satcom key reconnecting the surviving humans at the end of Kingdom could lead to them launching nukes in a last ditch effort to kill the apes, and wipe out any remnants of the simian flu.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So is this thread open spoilers now that it's an OT or spoiler tagged like it's been so far? Just wanna know if I should stay out since I'm not seeing it until Wednesday.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm in the minority here, but: I liked this even more than the trilogy.

One thing that really struck me was just how impactful every moment of violence felt. I watched a show recently that had a gun battle between two factions and it made me feel nothing at all. But when Mae kills Trevathan, or Proximus gets savaged by the eagles, it just felt really brutal. They don't shy away from the panic when Silva gets drowned. The audience audibly gasping when Mae's gun is shown near the end.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
actually a pretty decent film but its doesn't feel like a opening salvo for a summer blockbuster season. I found the plot to be interesting and was constantly wowed at the fidelity of the CGI they used on the apes plus the motion capture performance.

entut1

Mar 31, 2023
I think I'm in the minority here, but: I liked this even more than the trilogy.

One thing that really struck me was just how impactful every moment of violence felt. I watched a show recently that had a gun battle between two factions and it made me feel nothing at all. But when Mae kills Trevathan, or Proximus gets savaged by the eagles, it just felt really brutal. They don't shy away from the panic when Silva gets drowned. The audience audibly gasping when Mae's gun is shown near the end.
there was a concern for me that they were Disneyfying it too much, but yeah let's say past the first act any concern of it being that way kinda went away XD. This is still in the end an Apes movie.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Saw it yesterday. Not a perfect movie, but I enjoyed it a lot. I really liked that they took their time to build out the world. Makes me wonder how its are going to be at the box office though.

My suggestion would be:

Reckoning of the Planet of the Apes
Twilight of the Planet of the Apes
My boring suggestion:
Empire of the Planet of the Apes
Fall of the Planet of the Apes

But even accepting they don't, why would a voyage to Mars end up in a time travel thousands of years in the future? I don't think that fits with the more realistic tone these movies have had since Rise.
I don't think the twist is doable. You'd have to do it in reverse or something. Have one of the unaffected humans be revealed to be an astronaut. I almost thought that was were they were going with Mae towards the end

Still, though. There's the issue of implementing a very sci-fi concept such as time travel in the new continuity. I thought about cryostasis as a possible solution, but even that feels like it's too sci-fi for the new movies.

They've already significantly deviated from the original movie by not having any traces of nuclear war. I would not be surprised if the Icarus remains a little easter egg in the first movie.
The origin of the smart apes is a big deviation as well. Unless the Rise continuity is the first go around of the time loop, I guess.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I know I shouldn't be so nitpicky about a movie starring talking apes, but the more I think about it, the sillier it seems that 300 years after human civilization falls, there's still people seemingly quarantined entirely and working on structures and technology that old. I feel like after that long humanity would have either reclaimed the Earth or their small societies/technology would fall apart. 300 years with virtually no progress is crazy.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen many people mentioning this and I just can't buy it. And the first reason is a problem with the original movie, and maybe a controversial thing to say: if an astronaut lands in a planet that has horses, plant life like Earth, a moon, 24 hours days, and humans (even if dumb), they would unmistakably recognize that planet as Earth, no matter how many smart apes are there.

At this point, I am glad that it seems like it might just be a red herring at this point

Since it felt like if they were going to the Icarus but different, then they were clearly trying to make it seem like Mae was possibly Stewart in an alternate timeline where maybe she survived the trip and Taylor didn't.

And, of course, they didn't actually go that way.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Saw it last night, I appreciate the trailers didn't really tell you the actual story.

Something was obviously up with Mae due to her still having those clothes, went from maybe there were humans who were in suspended animation and woke up similar to the original minus the ship or there were humans hidden away in bases and yup.

Sep 5, 2021
Regarding the plots of future films after this one, I think the following:

I don't think that time-traveling astronauts will appear in this new trilogy yet. According to this interview with the writers/producers/responsible for the reboot series, I think it seems like they want to do an entire trilogy in this period (probably starring Noa and Mae) before creating a trilogy 2000 years in the future with Taylor

Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver are so in sync that they tend to finish each other's sentences, a habit that has come in handy during decades spent together writing some of Hollywood's biggest movies — all while maintaining a 35-year-long marriage.

The duo arrived on the scene with The Hand That Rocks the Cradle, the 1992 female-led thriller that Silver wrote in USC grad school and got made with the help of Jaffa, then an agent at William Morris, who put it in front of the right people and worked as an uncredited writer on the film. Their careers took off in earnest when they revamped a flagging but treasured 20th Century Fox franchise with Rise of the Planet of the Apes, the 2011 feature that took a risk by focusing on an ape protagonist (Andy Serkis' Caesar) and redefined what was possible with motion capture technology.

The movie put them on the wish list for top filmmakers such as Steven Spielberg, who tapped them to revive Jurassic Park, and James Cameron, who recruited them to join his Avatar writers room and later entrusted them with penning Avatar: The Way of Water and the upcoming Avatar 3. Says Cameron: "I have long admired Rick and Amanda's storytelling and enjoyed working with them on Avatar: The Way of Water and the other Avatar sequels. They are brilliant writers and thoughtful collaborators, and they have the unique ability to create believable characters in fantastical worlds."

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes director Wes Ball and producer Joe Hartwick, Jr. say in their own statement: "We feel incredibly fortunate to have worked with such insightful and passionate collaborators in both Rick and Amanda. Invariably, throughout the filmmaking process, you strive to keep a balance between theme, plot and emotion on the page. They were excellent partners in keeping us on track. Of course, you have to make compromises along the way, but when you have creative partners like them, you feel they are somehow able to stay above it all and keep a singular focus on the most important elements of the story. So you trust in both their support and criticisms."

Jaffa and Silver's films have topped $6 billion at the global box office, with their latest, Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, arriving in theaters May 10. Over a Zoom conversation in April, the duo reflect on how advocating to become producers on Apes saved them when the studio wanted to boot them from Rise, share what it's like to get 800 pages of homework from Cameron, and explain why growing a thick skin is key to surviving as a Hollywood writer.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Hollywood’s Franchise Power Couple

Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver – the writer-producer duo known for ‘Planet of the Apes,’ ‘Avatar’ and ‘Jurassic World’ – talk about being fired, rehired and inspired to make five more ‘Apes.’

www.resetera.com

Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver interview - the writer-producer duo known for ‘Planet of the Apes,’ ‘Avatar’ and ‘Jurassic World’

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/kingdom-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-sequels-1235892576/

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I just caught it a second time and fuck, I love this damn movie.

Also, I was able to appreciate the ending a little bit more this time because
As someone watching in Indiana, hearing the other base they make contact with is in Fort Wayne took me OUT the first time. Fort Wayne?! Of all places?!

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017

oyusu0d3zfrz.jpg

I haven't seen Kingdom yet and was planning to on Friday, but both of my sons got sick last week so we didn't get to go see it. We are planning to go this Friday.

What if the final film in this trilogy has an Ape going to space and lands on a planet full of humans, going the complete reverse directions of the original film.

Oct 30, 2017
Where are people getting that this is 300 years after Caesar? The movie only said many generations later. After a bit of thought, I think it's only 100 years in the future from Caesar's death, at most. Apes don't live as long as a humans, so those are probably "many generations" of apes.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen Kingdom yet and was planning to on Friday, but both of my sons got sick last week so we didn't get to go see it. We are planning to go this Friday.

What if the final film in this trilogy has an Ape going to space and lands on a planet full of humans, going the complete reverse directions of the original film.
That would be awesome!

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I know I shouldn't be so nitpicky about a movie starring talking apes, but the more I think about it, the sillier it seems that 300 years after human civilization falls, there's still people seemingly quarantined entirely and working on structures and technology that old. I feel like after that long humanity would have either reclaimed the Earth or their small societies/technology would fall apart. 300 years with virtually no progress is crazy.

No, you're dead on. This would've been far more plausible if it were like 20-30 years later, not ten times that.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Where are people getting that this is 300 years after Caesar? The movie only said many generations later. After a bit of thought, I think it's only 100 years in the future from Caesar's death, at most. Apes don't live as long as a humans, so those are probably "many generations" of apes.
One of the producers said it takes place 300 years later.

variety.com

‘Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes’ Director Wes Ball on Trilogy Plans and Making ‘Legend of Zelda’: It’s ‘Dying for a Cinematic Treatment’

‘Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes’ director Wes Ball talks new trilogy and his 'Legend of Zelda' movie

Over these performance capture-driven installments, was there a concrete thread that you followed toward the events of the '68 film, or are you writing just in terms of telling the most interesting story?

Jaffa: Both, with the emphasis on the latter, meaning to really focus on this story. But when we first met with Wes Ball, his ideas about how far we're going to go forward in this one and ours were pretty much the same. It takes place approximately 300 years after Caesar died, and we asked ourselves the questions of what are some logical things that could happen so that we'd land there? And we also asked ourselves what seeds can be laid in order to get us to a very interesting and magical telling of how the '68 movie comes to be. So in a perfect world, that would be great if we could pull that off. But for now, we wanted to do a real kick-ass, emotional, interesting, thought-provoking, new installment.

It was most likely decided to be ambiguous in the final edit to let the worldbuilding be more flexible as discussed upthread.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
A sweet movie. I thought it was refreshingly uncluttered, telling a clear story without forcing noice and spectacle in at every moment. The opposite of quippy: Its characters go for the quiet gestures instead. Noa is a complex character presented in all his nuance. Very well directed performances. Of course some credit goes to the effects people and animation. But Wes Ball has a light touch while doing complex things that makes his movies very readable and unhurried.

crimsonheadGCN

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Clifton, NJ

The producers have said that they have a plan for a 9 film saga, so this story could possibly be the final trilogy. Have an ape going to space in the final moments of the 6th film and disappear. Start off the next trilogy with the ape arriving hundreds of years in the future and humanity is in the early stages of developing a society. End the next trilogy with a super nuke going off and a human couple going back in time.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Rewatched Dawn and War yesterday and Kingdom today. I love these movies.
I've been thinking about rewatching the original trilogy. Own it on Blu-Ray but haven't seen it since War came out. Really is one of the most underrated Hollywood franchises right now.

Also considering watching the old movies; I've only seen the first Planet Of The Apes.