• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
www.kickstarter.com

Kingdoms of the Dump

A SNES-styled RPG with platforming elements set in a fantasy world of trash for Windows, Mac, and Linux!

Kingdoms of the Dump is a game about a world of trash created by two real-life janitors. While designed to evoke the 90's JRPG flavor, we have incorporated adventure and platforming inspirations as well as modern design innovations to the genre.

The King of Garbagia has been trashpicked! Disgraced squire Dustin Binsley is blamed for the kidnapping and must embark on a mission to clear his name. Cross the Lands of Fill, uncover hidden secrets in the trash, and expose the evil organization trying to destroy the Kingdoms of the Dump!
  • A narrative based game with a quick moving story and interesting world
  • Jumping, climbing and other on-field skills to add to exploration and navigation
  • No random encounters
  • Turn based combat with a tileboard grid encouraging placement and movement
  • Timed hits! (Press a key during the peak of attack animation for a critical strike)
  • Quickly toggle between main characters to make use of their field moves
  • A large Mode-7 inspired World Map. (Travel by land, sea, and air)
  • SNES-inspired visual aesthetic with detailed environments and expressive sprites.

gif_06.gif
gif_01.gif

gif_02.gif
gif_04.gif

Platforms are Windows, Mac and Linux only with console ports kicking in at the 80 000 stretch-goal target. The game has been in the works for a while now so it's great to see it reach this milestone.

Official Site
Twitter

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Earthbound looking overworld made me go into fight or flight mode but the combat stuff looks neat.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Are those Final Fantasy and Live-a-Live style battles I'm seeing in there? Pretty neat.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It looks decent enough, but I've learned my lesson; these things almost never work out the way we want them to.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
What are you talking about?

Lots of kickstarters have produced excellent games.
Some have, but lots turn out...not that great imo. I'm not kickstarting anything anymore, I've been burned too many times for various reasons. I've also learned not to instantly get hyped on a trailer alone. This looks pretty decent, but it also tells us nothing about the actual game design. I'd rather wait and see. If it's good I'll get it later on, but I'm not taking my chances.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I just backed it. They've been showing good progress, what they've shown looks great, and the estimated release date is far enough away that they ought to be able to come out on time or early.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I've seen this game before on reddit. It looks quite a bit better than most kickstarter projects for the genre, with a much more original and humorous hook to it.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I will support if they hit the console goal. No consoles out the gate is suboptimal for me. Excited though to see if they make it.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I backed it because the amount of work already put in seems significant.

It's a risk though, in that the people leading the project have zero experience (and I'm not sold that $60K pays for 3 years of a programmer + Art/Music, I guess they will have to put more of their own money into this, but they have obviously been doing that already). But yeah, given the pre-kickstarter progress I'm happy to take the risk.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Holy shit this looks SO. GOOD!!
I really want the $100 tier for the SNES box and physical instruction manual. Gonna think on it.
Estimated release is over 2 years out and I always worry about abandoned kickstarters when they are really far out and small goals...

Oct 25, 2017
The music in the trailer 👌
If this manages to be to turn/party based SNES RPGs what CrossCode is for action SNES RPGs, I am so very in. Hard not to draw the comparison with those platforming scenes/jumping around the town gifs.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Weird. I thought this game had a kickstarter campaign around three years ago.

Oct 25, 2017
Cautiously optimistic about this. I want this to succeed because I love everything I see and hear; but a single programmer, no producer to keep the team on task, and their overall lack of experience (aka, previously released games) are flags for me, nonetheless.

I've been proven wrong before though, and will gladly eat crow to see this release.

Edit: Typos galore...

Last edited:

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm super excited for this game! I've been following it for a long time. Some of the music they've been posting has been great.

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
I've been following this since last summer and I'm super excited. 2022 seems like a lifetime away, but I'm still hype.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Found out about this on Twitter the day before it launched, backed it immediately. Glad to see it doing well. Getting solid Super Mario RPG vibes with the timed hits and environmental platforming.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
Why should I help fund this? It's only going to get picked up by a publisher, get a hat full of money, and become exclusive with little to no care for the folks who made it all possible.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks great. My days of backing games on Kickstarter are over, but I will pick up the game when or if it releases on the developer's terms.