• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PaladinCharge

Nov 17, 2017
I guess this is especially notable seeing as Crunchyroll fired Kyle McCarley from Mob Psycho 100 just because he wanted them to talk to a union rep about it dub. I wonder if they've budged at all on that front.

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
I wonder if Crunchyroll took a meeting about unions, which was Kyle's demand for working with them in the future that they refused. I'm guessing Square are paying for this and not Crunchyroll given all the info has Square on it and not Crunchyroll

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They finally did it. They found the first show in a loooooong while I'll go out of my way to wait for the dub to watch it

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
Great to hear for Nier, too bad Square couldn't pull this off for the TWEWY dub.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Are any of the game VAs not returning? I recognize a lot of those names, but I might be missing one or two.
All the English VAs from the game are back going off of the characters whose actors have been announced.

Kyle shouts or aniplex in his confirmation tweet. Aniplex often does Union dubs and it ven for shows on CR. So that's how it happened.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/KyleMcCarley/status/1636041562286329856

Yeah, that makes sense. I'm pretty sure Demon Slayer (another Aniplex dub) is also unionized considering that they got fucking Steve Blum.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
My first sought out dub since FMA:B.
You should check out more dubs. Dragon Ball (Z Kai & Super), Black Lagoon (not sure if this was before or after FMA:B), Space Dandy, Chainsaw Man, Attack on Titan, Baki (the newer seasons on Netflix), My Hero Academia, Hellsing Ultimate, & Trigun: Stampede (OG was before FMA:B, so yeah) all have GOATed dubs.

Last edited:

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
You should check out more dubs. Dragon Ball (Z Kai & Super), Black Lagoon (not sure if this was before or after FMA:B), Space Dandy, Chainsaw Man, Attack on Titan, Baki, My Hero Academia, Hellsing Ultimate, & Trigun: Stampede (OG was before FMA:B, so yeah) all have GOATed dubs.
For sure. Of the newer stuff post-FMA:B you listed, I liked CSM's dub best.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
For sure. Of the newer stuff post-FMA:B you listed, I liked CSM's dub best.
Can't argue with that, everyone in the cast brought it for Chainsaw Man (Ryan Colt Levy, Denji's VA, especially). Though I guess it makes sense given how much Fujimoto pulled from Western cinema when writing the original manga.

Also, even JoJo's dubs got really good at Part 3 & legit great from Parts 4 onwards. And I can't believe I forgot to mention Konosuba, SK8 the Infinity, & Kaguya: Love is War's amazing dubs. Hell, there's also Bleach: The Thousand Year Blood War with a god-tier dub.

Last edited:

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Already watching it weekly with the sub and I don't see myself rewatching for the dub except for key scenes.

A shame since I loved the cast in the game, I wish it was simuldubbed

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We can thank Aniplex for Kyle's return.
I don't think it mattered

Crunchyroll never had a say in if he could return or not. The ultimate decision is on SE. Even if Aniplex didn't do it, I doubt those actually in charge wanted a voice change when everyone else was returning

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Title should probably reflect that A2's Cherami Leigh is back as well

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well having finished the game a few weeks back I'm totally in

Also yeah lots of modern dubs are great. Heck a currently airing one, Tomo-Chan is awesome. Also made Demon Girl next door more enjoyable for me. You miss so many background details on more comedic shows on subs.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
You should check out more dubs. Dragon Ball (Z Kai & Super), Black Lagoon (not sure if this was before or after FMA:B), Space Dandy, Chainsaw Man, Attack on Titan, Baki (the newer seasons on Netflix), My Hero Academia, Hellsing Ultimate, & Trigun: Stampede (OG was before FMA:B, so yeah) all have GOATed dubs.
I'd say most dubs these days are good to great. I can't remember the last time I watched a dub and thought it was done poorly. That era has been over for a while imo.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How has the sub been so far? Are people liking it?

So, I enjoyed what I watched of it(first 3 episodes), but the fact that it got put on a haitus mid season for a while definitely took some of the wind out of it's sails(it's back now though)

I'll probably just wait for the dub now personally.

kiich

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jan 2, 2018
How has the sub been so far? Are people liking it?
I'm really enjoying it. There is a lot of new content, all pretty close to the spirit of the original plus a bunch of references for Nier/Drakengard lore nerds like myself. The animation is good enought but the 3D is a bit weird.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
This is like the only anime ever where I gotta go with the dub

Can't wait. Glad they got everyone back.

breakYODAy

Oct 25, 2017
This is great news. I'll start over with the dub now. I really like Kira as 2B and Kyle's 9S performance is incredible.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
From what I hear, the anime is also adapting the side material as well, so there's stuff for people who have already played the game. Like one of the prequel stage plays had an episode dedicated to it.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I am kind of shocked they got Kyle to come back after the whole Mob Pyscho 100 fiasco. Glad he is though.

Edit: Oh I forgot this is an Aniplex production, so maybe they work better with unions unlike Crunchyroll.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeshhh, it will be a pleasure to hear Kyle's 9S again.

And today I learned I've been mispronouncing Automata for years.

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent! Thank you Aniplex.

I'd say most dubs these days are good to great. I can't remember the last time I watched a dub and thought it was done poorly. That era has been over for a while imo.
Some slip through. Like Shokugeki no Soma had a mediocre dub. Weird casting choices and direction.
But yeah, bad dubs are rare these days. I applaud the producers and writers and actors for managing to put out quality work.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent! Thank you Aniplex.

Some slip through. Like Shokugeki no Soma had a mediocre dub. Weird casting choices and direction.
But yeah, bad dubs are rare these days. I applaud the producers and writers and actors for managing to put out quality work.
Sentai Filmworks has always consistently put out mediocre to bad dubs and they're pretty much the only ones still doing it.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I started watching the sub version and it's just not the same. Will definitely wait for the English dub.

Now if they only confirmed a BR release as well, that would be sweet.

Last edited:

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
From what I hear, the anime is also adapting the side material as well, so there's stuff for people who have already played the game. Like one of the prequel stage plays had an episode dedicated to it.

Yeah, without going into too many spoilers the anime is quite literally a version 1.1 of Route A. There's been a number of minor changes and some big ones (like having an entire episode dedicated to the Pearl Harbor Descent Record), but structurally so far it's Route A.