• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
images

Release Date:
EU - 03/11/17
JP - 30/11/17
US - 19/01/18

Ready to prove you're the best Kirby there is? Show off your skills in 10 epic types of battle! Scramble for apples, protect your flag, and knock out the opposition in a collection of crazy solo and team-based matches.

Fight to the best of your Copy Abilities
CI_3DS_KirbyBattleRoyale_BattleArenaKO_02_CMM_big.jpg

Mix up your strategy by choosing from a wide range of Copy Abilities! Go for brute force and slug it out with the Hammer ability, or focus on speedy attacks and run rings around your opponents with the Ninja ability. You'll need to adapt to the situation and your foes if you want to emerge victorious.

CI_3DS_KirbyBattleRoyale_Kirbyamiibo_CMM_big.jpg

Quite the collection!
Each fight will net you some Battle Coins to spend on new Copy Abilities, battle modes and more in this Kirby extravaganza! You can even tap the Kirby amiibo (sold separately) to obtain special headgear for your character to wear.

Reviews:
https://www.resetera.com/posts/820664/

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This released so silently I don't even have it myself, so interested in impressions.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Haven't even checked out the demo myself, despite being quite excited about the game overall. Gaming is brutal right now. :/

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ouch, those reviews are pretty bad. I don't recall the last time I saw a Kirby game get a MC score in the 50s. Maybe I will wait to get game.

Deleted member 62

Thanks purseowner for taking the time to make this OT! The demo was pretty disappointing in that the mini games don't seem to offer much. One of the reviews mentioned that there's very little content for a 40 EUR title, which already was my feeling after trying the demo.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I had no idea review scores were that low! Regardless, I swore since Air Ride I'd pick up any Kirby game regardless of the scores, so it wouldn't surprise me if this ends up being another Air Ride situation (critics hate it, fans love it).

Normally I'd be jealous we're getting this two months later, but with how much gaming stuff is coming out now I don't mind the wait.

Nirbion

Oct 25, 2017
Mediocre is actually the best way to describe Battle Royale has a whole. There are a lot of aspects of the game, that are legitimate fun in Multiplayer, but actually generic to play in Single Player.
I have it since release and finished story campaign and unlocked a bunch of stuff. Strangely enough, it doesn't really emphasize on Fighting in most modes despite the very strong narrative an image making this impression. Battle Royale has 10 different modes, where you have to beat your opponent and sometimes one match contains 2-3 modes (or in custom, you can just play all modes in roughly 30min). Most modes come down to "Collect this and that" or "Bring Item here to there" just with opponents trying to hinder your progress.

Battle Arena: Most straightforward mode - defeat your enemy
Apple Scramble: Collect the most apples
Coin Cash: Collect the most coins
Attack Riders: Collect the most chips (and ride on Wheelie I guess)
Crazy Theater: Get the right answers (this mode is actually fun)
Rocket Rumble: Collect the most fuel (for your rocket)
Robo Bonkers: Collect missiles to damage a robot (but you can attack it directly, it's just less damage and progressive)
Slam Hockey: Hockey, but with kicking out your enemy with the puck
Ore Express: Guess what - collect the most crystals
Flagball: Capture the flag...with a volleyball (Great mode, which reminds me alot of Rayman's Kung Foot)

I really enjoyed Flagball and Slam Hockey the most, but the rest went from fun to mediocre. Like I said, you have to collect a bunch of stuff to win, so it lacks actually variety. Actual fighting or brawling in Battle Royale is also kind of odd. You're battling either in a 3D Arena or a 2D-Arena. 3D-Arena feels like a weird mix between Kirby Blowout Blast and Kirby Fighters and you have Special/Normal Attack or Special/Normal Air attack. You can charge up your special attack, but that's it. So it's watered down from what we3're used to current Kirby-Games (which is understandable with the 3D-environment). 2D-Arenas feel more familiar from what we're used to, but since abilities are watered down for 3D-Arenas, you even have fewer options in 2D-Arenas. Some abilities are more useful in other modes, but projectile-based abilities have kind of a disadvantage here since you miss oft your target (or at least I have troubles to have fun with Bomb). I ended up most of the time with Sword, Tornado, Beetle and Fighter. Oh, and the game runs oddly in 30 FPS, which makes this Kirby-experience even odder. It's stable to be fair, but suddenly playing a Kirby-Game in 30 FPS feels...wrong.

It's also the first time we can play a Kirby-Game online and....oh boy.
According to many players, matchmaking is really bad and there's no option to play with friends. There's not even an option to play it casually since you can only play Ranked Matches online. I played only a few matches and only 1 of 5 matches were without any lags.
This is just really bad and it feels like Online was more of an afterthought and not really implemented properly. With a better online-structure, it could have been a blast and a solid argument for getting the game.

Story campaign is forgettable since it's your basic tournament storyline of getting to the next round and join the next league
And King DeDeDe being again a major dick by creating dozens of Kirby-clones just so the real Kirby can't win
Interestingly tho is that this is our first glimpse of how a Kirby-RPG could look like and be honest: I actually had more enjoyment of talking to Waddle Dees than playing the modes. Made my wish for a Kirby RPG much stronger (do it, HAL)

neu5v5y8z.png
neu235uxuj.png

After I finished the story-campaign, there was nothing to do more...unless I missed a True Arena-mode. I could have finished some of the achievements, but I honestly didn't feel like to do it. I can imagine this being a really good title for multiplayer-matches and there's alot of potential and good intentions behind Battle Royale. But it's sometimes executed awkwardly and I feel like HAL should have cooked it a bit longer (Tho it doesn't feel like it's a rushed title, everything works and nothing's broken). And I think the fact it's also an handheld-game holds it back a bit. Most modes feel like an extension of some Mario Party-Minigames and rather have this on the big screen would have made the multiplayer-aspect more enjoyable. So I hope HAL revisits the concept for Switch with a much better online-structure.

I think you're going to have fun as a Hardcore Kirby-Fan or if you search for a fun multiplayer-game with friends on the go. But anything else, it doesn't offer that much so you can skip this honestly.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Nirbion Hey, is there Download Play support for this game? You make it sound like it would be fun multiplayer, but is it limited to multi-cart stuff? Really hard to find info about that sort of thing online.

Nirbion

Oct 25, 2017
Nirbion Hey, is there Download Play support for this game? You make it sound like it would be fun multiplayer, but is it limited to multi-cart stuff? Really hard to find info about that sort of thing online.
Download Play is indeed supported for 4 Players. It's actually much better than expected.
You even have technically access to all the modes the game offers in Multiplayer (They're categorized in packs to reduce download size I guess)

kirbydownloadplay2utouv.png

You can even play every stage in any mode. So it's not restricted to the easiest stage.
kirbydownloadplay3sqo5q.png

One downside for the players without the game is that they only have a few abilities to choose from. It's at least more than in the demo and the host can't use unlocked characters, but the host as a clear advantage.
kirbydownloadplayq2oh3.png

But for Download Play, it has surprisingly a good amount of content. Glad that HAL invested so much effort to make sure everyone can enjoy it in multiplayer.

I hope this answers your question

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Download Play is indeed supported for 4 Players. It's actually much better than expected.
You even have technically access to all the modes the game offers in Multiplayer (They're categorized in packs to reduce download size I guess)

kirbydownloadplay2utouv.png

You can even play every stage in any mode. So it's not restricted to the easiest stage.
kirbydownloadplay3sqo5q.png

One downside for the players without the game is that they only have a few abilities to choose from. It's at least more than in the demo and the host can't use unlocked characters, but the host as a clear advantage.
kirbydownloadplayq2oh3.png

But for Download Play, it has surprisingly a good amount of content. Glad that HAL invested so much effort to make sure everyone can enjoy it in multiplayer.

I hope this answers your question

Awesome, really appreciate all the detail! If only reviews really broke it down rather than mentioning it in passing. :P

It does look respectable, I do a lot of local multiplayer so I may actually get value out of the game.

Are those last three abilities missing on the left side things you still have to unlock or what?

Hedgey

Oct 29, 2017
Picked up the Japanese release recently, and oh man is this game awful.
I can hardly even consider this a Kirby game.
How is this a full-priced title? =|