• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
04auebrfn9a01.jpg

EfXjJhU.jpg

Source: reddit

The icons are really nice (they covered Bayo's best side with the logo tho), but the most interesting fact is that the games are completed already and downloadable.
Bayo 2+1 is releasing on 16/02, Kirby on 16/03.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This basically means the games are 100% complete, right? Barring a day one update I guess.

It always annoys me when the games are ready a month+ in advance but you have to wait until their specified release date. But I guess it makes sense.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they're clearly holding it back because they want to space out their major releases.

I fear this may spur some people to try and crack the system harder than they already are.

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't call Bayonetta downloading now "months" ahead of launch.
But, yeah, super early. Likely just pushed back to fill the line up and because January is a poor time to release software

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
This basically means the games are 100% complete, right? Barring a day one update I guess.

It always annoys me when the games are ready a month+ in advance but you have to wait until their specified release date. But I guess it makes sense.
The game data gets uploaded to the eShop in advance so members of the press can play the game for review. A lot of the time publishers will make the preload live too.

NyxKiria

Self-Requested Permanent Ban
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Months? DQ Builders and both Bayo games are all coming next month and Kirby is in March

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Crazy how fast HAL gets out these Kirby games. This is the first HD Mainline Kirby game, and it's already done, not even two years after Planet Robobot. Great turnaround time.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Kimishima is playing the chess game with first party releases.

Like I said, it makes sense to strategically delay things. Still doesn't stop it from annoying me haha

The game data gets uploaded to the eShop in advance so members of the press can play the game for review. A lot of the time publishers will make the preload live too.

Ah that's something I hadn't considered, good point. Still, ~2 months to review Kirby seems a bit excessive to me!

But I guess it's a good sign that Nintendo is churning out releases pretty quickly.

Jan 11, 2018
Wait, what? Kirby's already per-loadable?

Like, Bayonetta makes sense seeing how it kinda matches with Xenoblade 2's Preload period, but Kirby? The game comes out in March!

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's quite cool, wish it was possible with many more upcoming games especially indies wise.

Still going physical for Kirby tho!

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It could just be pre-release version, there is a lot of patches and stuff they can add closer to release. But the fact that they are pretty much ready is good news, should be great.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
This doesn't make me happy at all although I dont really have time to play Bayonetta right now (Xenoverse 2 is very long!). I own all the Bayonettas -but- the kids are always on the Wii U. So never got to finish Bayonetta 2 (I only beat the first one). Waiting on the Switch version to repurchase and I was planning to just run through them all on Switch

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Kirby is available for preload so far in advance--especially since this is Nintendo--has me wondering if we'll see Kirby release sooner than the original March 16th date.
It would be a nice surprise at a future Direct, no?

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Kirby is available for preload so far in advance--especially since this is Nintendo--has me wondering if we'll see Kirby release sooner than the original March 16th date.

I would love that also, but FWIW I don't believe in the past 5+ years Nintendo has announced a specific game release day and then pushed it up to a sooner date. Just don't want you to get your hopes up and be disappointed. :)

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't surprise me all that much if development on these games were complete. Notice how Nintendo games rarely have huge Day 1 patches—I think they're often finished well in advance of release.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Nah it's a preload. You download the majority of the game but you can't actually play it until release.

Oh I get that. It's just if you can preload the game now so it's like it already went gold, right? That's what I meant, that it is playable in theory - not for normal gamers who just pre-load of course :P

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
It's a nice fantasy but has basically no chance of happening since retailers also have the 3/16 date locked in. No surprise that the game's been done for a while with what they've been showing off lately.

Probably just waiting for Kirby Battle Royale to release in NA to give it space and some media presence.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not even remotely surprising, as Nintendo does this often. Not the super early pre-loading, but the holding back of finished software in order to space out releases.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So since Bayonetta 1 and 2 on digital are separate purchases, are they each half the price of the retail release?

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo knew the game was done last week when they announced the release date.

Wouldn't surprise me all that much if development on these games were complete. Notice how Nintendo games rarely have huge Day 1 patches—I think they're often finished well in advance of release.
Some Switch games haven't had day one patches at all. I'm pretty sure Mario Kart 8 Deluxe didn't.

Pro tip: any time you see the file size listed on the e-shop that means the game has competed Nintendo submission process. They're most certainly holding back lots of games for strategic reasons right now. Wouldn't be surprised if Tropical Freeze is finished or nearly finished right now.

Yeah, rumor was that Odyssey was finished for a good six months or so before it came out.

I'm pretty sure that rumor was not true. There were a fair number of tweaks made to the game between it's E3 trailer and it's final release 5 months later.

bitSS

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Portugal
Nah, they probably still want to spread out their releases like last year.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
No, because you'll still have to wait for them to be unlocked before you can play them.

Of course, I would not be shocked if some homebrew devs managed to leak them.

I mean, they're clearly holding it back because they want to space out their major releases.

I fear this may spur some people to try and crack the system harder than they already are.

Watch somebody just start playing them lol

Unless Nintendo has decided to throw out their security practices from the 3DS era, this isn't possible. There was a brief period where preloaded 3DS games could be played early with homebrew, but Nintendo quickly updated things so that all the preloaded data is encrypted and the decryption key isn't published to the servers until the release date.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if that's because the game is short on content. I hope not :/

It probably has a similar (IMO solid) amount of content in at least the main game portion as that in the last three mainline Kirby games which this one appears to be in a similar vein to. Triple Deluxe to Robobot was about two years as well. These games in particular don't seem to have a super long dev cycle and usually have had a very lean announcement to release gap, with Robobot it was only three months.