• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...rnout-paradise-is-back-at-no-1-after-10-years

Down at No.2 is a new Nintendo Switch release in the form of Kirby Star Allies. It's actually the fastest-selling boxed Kirby game released ever, and there have been 19 Kirby retail titles since 1996.

Previously, the highest charting Kirby games was Kirby Triple Deluxe (2014) on 3DS and Kirby: Planet Robot (2015) also on 3DS. Both games reached 15th place. The series has been gradually increasing in popularity, although the demand for new Switch products - coupled with a quiet release week - are two big reasons Star Allies has appeared so highly this week.

This is despite stock issues also, sold out at the below

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kirby-Star-Allies-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B072QN7FWK
https://www.game.co.uk/en/kirby-star-allies-2023237
https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb...es/kirby-star-allies-nintendo-switch/p/165250
https://www.tesco.com/direct/kirby-star-allies-switch/672-7991.prd?source=others
https://www.thegamecollection.net/kirby-star-allies-switch/

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's good news for Kirby, but to add context, it was a quiet week and still outsold by a 'remaster' of an old racing game.
The racing game didn't need to sell especially well to top the charts, but it's an impressive achievement nonetheless.
That said, without the stock issues highlighted I wonder if it could have topped the charts.
Who's hungrier, Switch owners or Kirby?
Given Kirby hitting #2 in such a quiet week and still managing to be the fastest selling Kirby game in the UK, I'd say it's Switch owners looking for their next big Nintendo fix. Kirby has never been big here.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, 4 Switch titles in that Top 10 now(5 including Fifa). Seems like it's doing pretty alright in the UK right now.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Funny which games do well and which ones don't; I seem to recall Squeak Squad being one of the more successful titles as well and it's perhaps the least interesting traditional Kirby game of the lot.

Timing really is everything.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Is the first time Kirby released early in a consoles life?

I swear the series normally comes out when the console is dead

Good result though especially at that price

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I agree. It's coming in a quiet week, of course it's gonna be the fastest selling Kirby game of all time. /s

yeah I gotta agree with the sarcastic part of this post.

one thing is:

"X game sold well because there's not much else to buy this month"

another is

"X game is now the best selling game in the history of the series because there's not much else to buy this month"

there are worlds apart between both statements, the 2nd one sounds kind of silly IMO

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Ignoring the fact that's not how sales work like at all, yes it surprises me that it sold faster than titles like Adventure Wii, which released during a holiday season.
That came out in 2011 the Wii was dead by then

Skyward sword came out the same month and is one of the worst selling in the series

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I have bought a lot of games I wasn't super interested in, just because they released during a dry period (for instance, every single purchase I made in 2014). Not really related to Kirby, but yeah, I don't see how you can say timing isn't huge for sales.

David Sr.

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Given how unambitious is this entry this won't bring good things to the future of Kirby games.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy to think that Nintendo somehow got a system that sells even more of their first party output than they used to sell, which was a lot already. All their franchises getting that Switch boost.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Being on the Switch definitely gave the series more attention that it maybe ever got (both good and bad), so it's not surprising to see the results here. I expect the same might happen with Fire Emblem and other "smaller" Nintendo IP. Pretty exciting times.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
The demo would have helped nicely. However, the bar won't be that high so I'm not sure it's all that impressive in the end. If it hangs around though then that'll be more impressive.

ArcaneFreeze

Oct 27, 2017
Good for Kirby, I have noticed friends who I never expected to play Kirby pick this game up which surprised me. Weird thing is though I've never been a big Kirby fan, at all actually, I dont own a single Kirby game. But something makes me want to pick this up and I have no reasoning for it.

Oct 29, 2017

Yes, it's the first time a Kirby game has ever been released within the first year of a console or handheld's life. Kirby normally comes quite late (very late in many cases) and the next closest analog to Star Allies is Nightmare in Dreamland, which came out 1 year and 9 months after the GBA's launch in the US (The PAL version was delayed for almost a whole year - Kirby games used to get heavy delays in PAL regions as standard practice, all the way up until Kirby's Epic Yarn, where the games FINALLY started getting released alongside the US versions!)

I expect Star Allies to be the best selling Kirby game since the original Kirby's Dreamland. Should easily clear 2.5 million WW.

That came out in 2011 the Wii was dead by then

Skyward sword came out the same month and is one of the worst selling in the series

Kirby's Return to Dreamland/Kirby's Adventure Wii ended up selling roughly 1.7 million copies, pretty much the same as Kirby's Epic Yarn; despite it's ridiculously late release.

Star Allies will easily outdo that, simply because it's being released early in a console's life (let alone the Switch's uncanny ability to sell software).

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's the first time a Kirby game has ever been released within the first year of a console or handheld's life. Kirby normally comes quite late (very late in many cases) and the next closest analog to Star Allies is Nightmare in Dreamland, which came out 1 year and 9 months after the GBA's launch in the US (The PAL version was delayed for almost a whole year - Kirby games used to get heavy delays in PAL regions as standard practice, all the way up until Kirby's Epic Yarn, where the games FINALLY started getting released alongside the US versions!)

I expect Star Allies to be the best selling Kirby game since the original Kirby's Dreamland. Should easily clear 2.5 million WW.
For a mainline platformer, maybe. I know at the very least, Canvas Curse was a shockingly early Kirby game.

Kirby loves to be the swansong, sometimes even releasing on a platform months after its successor released.

Oct 29, 2017
For a mainline platformer, maybe. I know at the very least, Canvas Curse was a shockingly early Kirby game.

Kirby loves to be the swansong, sometimes even releasing on a platform months after its successor released.

I actually forgot that Canvas Curse launched so early! But then again, it is a spinoff, so NID is probably still the closest analog.

Jof

Nov 3, 2017
I was very surprised in town yesterday (Glasgow) to see that every GAME had sold out of physical copies already, and were only offering Download Codes. Well deserved Kirby!

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

triple deluxe released in the middle of 3DS's life.

which would theoretically lend to a higher first week than a game early in a console's life