• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
kirbyotz1sxe.jpg

Developer:
HAL Laboratory
Publisher: Nintendo
Release Date: March 16, 2018
Platform: Nintendo Switch
Genre: Friendship
Multiplayer: Up to 4. Friends only, no haters.
Motion Controls: Yes (for mini games)
Pro Controller Compatible: Yes
HD Rumble: Yes
amiibo: Yes (get collectible drops, nothing exclusive)
Video Recording: Yes
Demo: Yes
eShop Download Size: 2.8GB
Game Download/Official Site: Europe | North America | Japan
Reviews: Here

A quick note about control options:
You can only swap what buttons jump & attack. But to change it, you need to be on the main menu where you choose what mode/game you want to play, select the wrench, "Control Options, & then choose Type B.

I don't know why they made it so you can't do this when pausing the game.

friendshipebuqj.jpg

Kirby Star Allies is all about friendship. You play it with friends, you make new friends. Designed as a multiplayer experience, the game is played with four characters either controlled by person friends or up to three CPU friends.

Who are these characters? Well, one of them is Kirby. The rest are his friends. What friends though? Anyone he wants to be his friend, of course! Because Kirby can make new friends literally at the push of a button! By throwing hearts at enemies, Kirby can befriend them to join his group of other friends to face the adventure ahead.

combosjgu3f.jpg

Kirby combine his current copy ability with the ability of one of his friends (or all of them in some cases) to create a stronger (or unique for the big one!) ability to really bring the point home that friendship conquers all.

You know what friends also do? Give you free content updates! That's right, new classic friends will be added via game updates after launch such as Rick, Kine, and Coo from Kirby's Dream Land 2, Marx from Kirby Super Star, and Gooey from Kirby's Dream Land 3.

kirby-star-allies-julgzu4s.jpg

In addition to Daroach and Dark Meta Knight making their entrance with the second free update, there is, in fact, another Dream Friend duo ready to enter the spotlight: a pair whose presence has been long missed, it's Adeleine & Ribbon from Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards!

Adeleine has the ability to bring anything that she paints to life, and Ribbon the fairy possesses a mysterious power that allows her to fly. These two have a really dedicated, long-time fanbase. Back in Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards, they played an important role in the story, but you weren't able to control them yourself. Now that they've become Dream Friends, they can be player-controlled for the first time ever!

Adeleine and Ribbon fight using their unique powers, occasionally joining forces. Adeleine relies on the power of her paintings to attack. It's far more potent than Kirby's Artist Copy Ability, so expect to see some moves that will really color you impressed. More details on that later!

And then there's Ribbon. She shares her power with Adeleine so they can glide through the air together. Sometimes they even team up to unleash a combined attack!

Just like in the original game, they don't have much in the way of stamina, which can make their adventure particularly tough. Still, they're an interesting duo – all it takes is a few brush strokes to turn the battle around! With the power to create all sorts of paintings and a unique ability that stands apart from the rest, they really are a true "dream" friend.

What's more, if you play with Adeleine & Ribbon as Guest Stars after completing the main story, you'll get to take on brand-new maps! Have fun painting your way through classic Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards stages specially arranged for Kirby Star Allies. There's a very memorable map at the end which fans may remember, so look forward to that!

New Dream Friends Daroach, Dark Meta Knight and Adeleine & Ribbon aside, the second free update also introduces plenty of new game elements.

The update will be available for download on July 27 – not long at all!

Jambuhbye for now!
-Yuki Endo​

modes4bu35.jpg

In typical Kirby tradition, beating Story Mode once unlocks some additional modes offering new ways to enjoy the game with more challenges. For one, there is a new take on the tried and true Arena Mode, called The Ultimate Choice here, in which Kirby and his friends face off against bosses in succession. This time, you can set the difficulty with a slider to best suit your demands (the highest difficulty levels need to be unlocked by completing the Guest Star mode).

Additionally, there is the equivalent to the Meta Knight and DeDeDe Modes from the previous games, this time called Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go!, in which you play a slightly condensed version of Story Mode (5 levels with remixed enemies) as one of the other friends (pick from any of the 30 characters) set to a timer for high scores.

t1sxl.jpg

Then there are the sub games (Star Slam Heroes and Chop Champ) that you can also play with your friends or play by yourself while your friends just give you emotional support.

minigames-02hus2k.jpg
minigames-019esnx.jpg

mediaoduc7.jpg

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nice OT. I might pick up the game tomorrow, if i have time after work unfortunately. Otherwise i'll have to wait till Sunday at the least to actually play it :'(.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
HAH, so they realized people would use amiibo to cheat the True Arena in Planet Robobot.

..................look, the UFO ability was REALLY freakin' useful, alright?

It's great to have a console Kirby game again after so long, but considering we know of the update, I feel like I might try to take my time considering I could probably blast through this over the weekend.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Playing it since earlier today and having a great tile but also kinda scared to finish it too quickly, I'm weird heh.
Hope when you 100% or something you can select which one you want in dream palaces, I always land on Bandana Waddle Dee no matter what, of course I unlocked other characters.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
So tempted to get this game but I just can't quite pull the trigger. The demo was fun and (almost too) cute but it didn't really hook me.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Love the OT. I'm hyped for this game, but based on the demo and impressions I'll definitely keep my expectations low. A lot of people seem to place it below a lot of the recent games.

On another note, I wonder if Nintendo will consider Level packs for this. Probably not, but Star Allies is comparatively shorter than the 3DS counterparts, so it'd be nice.

_Malus_

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Thanks for the great OT, OP!

I played the first four levels this morning.

I have to say, this is a very pleasant experience so far! Especially the nice visuals and sountrack impressed me.
I find it weird though, that only menus and the bonus game at each level end are 60fps... did anybody else notice that?

So far, I have myself limited to only one helper at a time (for ability mixing) and stock up to three when it is required to progress. As soon as a 4 player team becomes unnecessary, I dismiss my helpers.
This makes especially boss encounters far more enjoyable, imo.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you for the cute OP! Can't wait to have co-op fun this weekend. I'm trying to convince my mom to play with my partner, brother, and me but she says Kirby is "too hard and confusing" (meanwhile she doesn't seem to have a problem with Mario Party or New Super Mario Bros :V).

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
It kills me that I'm going to be a day late to this due to travel plans. But soon. Even if this is a step back from Robobot in some ways, I can't believe that HAL isn't going to have cranked up the heat even more in other regards.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to this. Kirby co-op with the family is always a treat

bitSS

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Portugal
The game is probably unlocking in 10 minutes, but I will be saving it to play later today with my little sister! We loved the visuals, the music and the overall cuteness. The game being easy is a plus. She gets really turned off with hard games.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mine unlocked 2 hours ago.

I bought from the South African eshop and it's already the 16th over there.

If you bought it on the US eshop, you might still have to wait until midnight.
Can I just buy from the South African eShop with a US credit card and not experience any issues?

Or would I have to make a new profile and stuff?

_Malus_

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Can I just buy from the South African eShop with a US credit card and not experience any issues?

Or would I have to make a new profile and stuff?

You can change the region of your MyNintendo account and then the eshop will change to that region as well.

Unfortunately you cannot use US credit cards, afaik. The South African eshop belongs to NoE, that's why EU credit cards work.

Edit: maybe it's important to note that you will lose all your saved eshop money, so make sure your balance is 0, before you switch regions.

Feb 1, 2018
Picking up my copy at gamestop (i know..) tonight at 9PM.

It's a mall location, so their "midnight" launches are actually 3 hours earlier do to the mall closing hours

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely plan to get this eventually. Im just not sure this is worth $60 to me. I may wait a couple years for Switch Selects.

tonyh24613

Oct 25, 2017
IMO

RP>>>Wii>3DX>=SA

SA is a good game, but it feels like you're playing Kirby wii all over again, a bit easier, worse music and better graphics. Also worse loading time.

Boss designs are good but all too easy thanks to player + 3 NPCs.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to have it, probably this Saturday.

Will probably co-op it all the way for maximum pleasure. Then will come the post game modes.

I'm overdue for Kirby goodness since RTDL...I should get Robobot too.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I had no intention of picking this game up and I was even meh on the demo at first but I preordered this game a long time ago when it was revealed on Amazon and forgot so it shipped. I played the demo a few more times and it grew on me so I'll probably end up keeping it and giving it a shot. My first Kirby game!