• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
H2x1_NSwitch_KirbyStarAllies_image1600w.jpg

Metacritic: 74
Opencritic: 74

Destructoid
- 9/10
I don't think HAL is very interested in drastically altering the Kirby formula at this point, and that's perfectly fine.

IGN - 8.3/10
The name Kirby Star Allies isn't just for show. Whether you're adventuring through Dream Land with up to three friends or playing with competent AI teammates, Kirby's ever-rotating group of uniquely powered pals are the real stars of the show here. The creative ways you can combine abilities never gets old, which means there's great potential for replayability especially with friends. I just wish the final boss battle hadn't come just as the puzzles were starting to give me a challenge.

Gamespot - 8/10
Star Allies is yet another Kirby game, but it's up there with some of the best. It's an artistic showcase, and a great opportunity for co-op platforming. The one real complaint you can levy at it is that it gates off its more challenging aspects, but the fact that they are present to begin with will please anyone who's grown weary of the series' painless platforming.

Cubed3 - 8/10
Mixing in the four-player element makes for some hilarious antics, and the augmented powers that can be utilised make for some extremely exciting scenarios. The only drawback is the age-old concern of things being a bit simpler than desired, but HAL has packed in plenty of entertaining content to appease fans new and old alike.

USGamer - 8/10
Kirby Star Allies' friend-making gimmick adds layers of playful fun to this solid Kirby adventure. It's a perfectly pleasant way to pass a weekend by yourself, or with friends of your own—though the game is best enjoyed via the Switch's handheld mode.

Polygon - 7/10
While it lacks the substance to properly satisfy longtime Kirby fans, Star Allies does at least seem genuinely earnest in its underlying belief in the power of friendship. The game is frequently chaotic and a touch under-baked, but it's hard to be too upset at a game where you can break down long-standing bonds of enmity and heal foes with a kiss. Even if it's on the brief and simple side, Star Allies demonstrates the polish and personality you've come to expect from the series.

GameInformer - 6.25/10
Star Allies gets credit for a great soundtrack, great controls, and an epic finale. Even if the visuals are the epitome of generic Kirby, they look sharp. HAL delivers a polished Kirby experience here that plays well, but it ultimately amounts to a forgettable adventure that demands so little from the player that I sometimes felt like I was barely involved at all.

God Is A Geek - 4.5/10
While it looks lovely and isn't a bad game by any means, Star Allies is aimed at a very specific age group, and most others will find it far too easy and, sadly, rather dull.

Eurogamer - Recommended
It's brilliantly strange, the kind of thing that was ten-a-penny back in the early 90s from which Kirby's roots grow - and the very 2D platformer roots which Star Allies strives to go back to. At the core, this is a continuation of the series when it was still under creator Masahiro Sakurai's stewardship, and it maintains his everything and the kitchen sink approach to design where there's a chaos of delicate details, delivered in some wilfully light action.

GameXplain - Liked

Additionally, GameXplain posted a video of what they consider the most challenging part of the game, if those who are worried about the challenge want to see. *SPOILERS in video*

Last edited:

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I expect quite a few 6s and 7s and the higher scores will warn about who the target audience is.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Eurogamer: Recommended

It's brilliantly strange, the kind of thing that was ten-a-penny back in the early 90s from which Kirby's roots grow - and the very 2D platformer roots which Star Allies strives to go back to. At the core, this is a continuation of the series when it was still under creator Masahiro Sakurai's stewardship, and it maintains his everything and the kitchen sink approach to design where there's a chaos of delicate details, delivered in some wilfully light action.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Expecting anywhere from 6's to 8's, it's a Kirby game, the demo didn't feel that dramatically different. I'm sure it'll be fun but nothing spectacular.

Oct 25, 2017
Everything seems to be 7s which I kind of expected. That demo wasn't too fun. Adding multiplayer makes it feel rather mediocre. I replayed the demo with just one partner (dismissing the two optional ones) and it felt nicer but the game is designed around having 4

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone buying Kirby or not based on reviews? You know if you like Kirby or not.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of these scores are pretty solid. Good going, HAL.

Game's sold out on Amazon US, so my decision to wait for reviews has backfired.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Hoping to get some info about the postgame. Polygon literally says "without any sort of postgame material to explore..." But I thought I remembered reading that there were different modes and stuff?

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everything seems to be 7s which I kind of expected. That demo wasn't too fun. Adding multiplayer makes it feel rather mediocre. I replayed the demo with just one partner (dismissing the two optional ones) and it felt nicer but the game is designed around having 4
I love Kirby, and I loved the demo, but Nintendo is wildly still archaic and ignorant as hell with this. Nobody in 2018 has 3 friends who are gonna play this coop locally. Designing a game around something the vast majority of kids and people in general don't use seems so.... out of touch lmao. If t had online? Sure.

Not buying it based purely on the demo.
The demo was literally standard Kirby. If you didn't like the demo, you likely aren't big on Kirby to begin with.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Breaking news : Kirby is as good as it has always been since the very first game and that will applies too for the next 20 games.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
A friend's review

Nintendo Insider - 7/10
Entertaining but lacking the challenge that many will crave, it's hard not to come away from playing Kirby Star Allies with a mixed opinion. With impeccably polished visuals but uncomplex stages to overcome, this short-lived adventure in Dream Land has much room for improvement which we can only hope the pink puffball's next outing will deliver on.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It feels as if Nintendo felt obliged to launch Kirby games every 2 years, resulting in easy and mediocre games. And Metroid, which is a much more interesting franchise and with a more loyal fan base, leaves it aside for years.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Reviews seem pretty mixed?

Even with positive ones, it seems like a step down from 3ds entries (Triple Deluxe/Planet Robobot), which is a shame.

Still getting day-1 tho.

JoDa

Jan 12, 2018
I mostly just want to know if it's worth as a solo experience, the demo played nice but the screen was really busy with all your ai companions going bananas and you do need them to combine abilities and such. I'm sure 4 person co op would be a ton of fun but I just don't have that many controllers and as far as I know it's local only.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Bahaha at this screenshot from the Eurogamer review

jpg

...anyone else reminded of the 'ball of corpses' boss from various Castlevanias <_<