• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FizzMino

Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
Arios is 32, and Rean 20 by the time of Reverie. Unless in your personal head canon you somehow like to imagine a 12 year old fathering a child, I don't really see it.

That said, I kinda see what you mean Rean doesn't really take after his biological father much visually. More looking like his mother

This is a JRPG, a 32 year old mine as well be 100

Magic Kaito

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
CS2's soundtrack is still my favourite. Glad you're enjoying it and the game.

Posting my thoughts from the "What JRPG are you playing right now thread;"

Haven't post here in a bit:

PS5: Still chugging along in Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie. Finished the main story which I liked; though I felt the mastermind behind it was kinda "meh" I was expecting some big reveal and we got Alternate timeline (Ishmelga) Rean which was a little bit anticlimactic to me. But the revelation behind "LP" was pretty cool though; very nice endings all around; though especially for "Team C."

Currently finishing up the "reverie" corridor storyline which is finally getting interesting! Hopefully the mastermind/cause behind that actually delivers.

Though I did complain about the amount of characters the game gives you; as it drives my compulsiveness to equip them all with the best gear/quartz. I'm absolutely loving being able to try out some of the characters and trying out their end of battle quips! Arios is my new and favorite evasion tank….He's Rean's dad in my head-canon!!!
I finished the main story too, just taking my time with TRC and daydreams now. TRC has been every bit as addictive as I had hoped.
Lloyd's route is noticeably weaker than the other two. I liked seeing the Crossbell characters/locales that weren't in CS3/4, but it didn't do enough to hold my interest. I suppose it's a testament to how well the duology already handled the essential character arcs. With not much ground left to tread, it comes off as mainly fan service for those who didn't enjoy Crossbell's liberation being told through stills.

C's route is a follow-up that I didn't know I wanted. The group dynamic is great, largely due to everyone bouncing so well off of LP. Watching Rufus get Class VII to do some of his dirty work was a blast, and there was enough 'show, don't tell' to sell how CS4 changed him. Trails at its finest here imo.

As for Rean's route: no more direct connection to the curse, no more Vamilar to rely on and confide in, still an unhealthy amount of self-loathing - there was a clear character arc here that didn't have the payoff it needed in CS4, so it was always going to feel at least a bit like an overdue apology. I'd say it was wrapped up with some proper finesse. Ishmelga Rean is neat follow-up to CS4's 2 endings, and also an easy way to give Rean another opportunity for self-sacrifice, and to provide that closure to his arc by having him reject it and finally acknowledging he needs to prioritize his own happiness from now on. Those were the exact words I needed to hear.

As an aside, one thing I already knew about was the Retributive Tower name change. Disappointing that it wasn't updated in the latest patch, but it's also not the first time a Trails dungeon name was mishandled under NISA's watch (looking at you, thaumaturgical core). Seems like an even more unusual update here considering the localization still references Project Babel.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Currently playing through and loving CS2. I know this game gets some hate but I kinda love it.
Man, this soundtrack has so many bangers.

View: https://youtu.be/WHf7MUSiES4?si=by-2ruldSV026cU3

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMQnrk5Iobk

CS2's soundtrack is still my favourite. Glad you're enjoying it and the game.

I finished the main story too, just taking my time with TRC and daydreams now. TRC has been every bit as addictive as I had hoped.
Lloyd's route is noticeably weaker than the other two. I liked seeing the Crossbell characters/locales that weren't in CS3/4, but it didn't do enough to hold my interest. I suppose it's a testament to how well the duology already handled the essential character arcs. With not much ground left to tread, it comes off as mainly fan service for those who didn't enjoy Crossbell's liberation being told through stills.

C's route is a follow-up that I didn't know I wanted. The group dynamic is great, largely due to everyone bouncing so well off of LP. Watching Rufus get Class VII to do some of his dirty work was a blast, and there was enough 'show, don't tell' to sell how CS4 changed him. Trails at its finest here imo.

As for Rean's route: no more direct connection to the curse, no more Vamilar to rely on and confide in, still an unhealthy amount of self-loathing - there was a clear character arc here that didn't have the payoff it needed in CS4, so it was always going to feel at least a bit like an overdue apology. I'd say it was wrapped up with some proper finesse. Ishmelga Rean is neat follow-up to CS4's 2 endings, and also an easy way to give Rean another opportunity for self-sacrifice, and to provide that closure to his arc by having him reject it and finally acknowledging he needs to prioritize his own happiness from now on. Those were the exact words I needed to hear.

As an aside, one thing I already knew about was the Retributive Tower name change. Disappointing that it wasn't updated in the latest patch, but it's also not the first time a Trails dungeon name was mishandled under NISA's watch (looking at you, thaumaturgical core). Seems like an even more unusual update here considering the localization still references Project Babel.

Yeah, I gel with all of this, but especially the first; Lloyds route basically turned Crossbell into a themepark with an even heavier re-hashing of Azure's late game storybeats and structure. It makes me wonder if its they know what to do with that entire city-state now they're free, or if there's a loud fan subsection that demands that same high they got in 2011. CS3 & 4 didnt have this problem with that setting after all.

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMQnrk5Iobk

Yeah, I gel with all of this, but especially the first; Lloyds route basically turned Crossbell into a themepark with an even heavier re-hashing of Azure's late game storybeats and structure. It makes me wonder if its they know what to do with that entire city-state now they're free, or if there's a loud fan subsection that demands that same high they got in 2011. CS3 & 4 didnt have this problem with that setting after all.

then you get to the end of act 4 and C and Rean's route have huge moments and story beats and Lloyd's just...whatever/SPOILER]

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Doubt we'll hear much about Kai. july 4-7th, probably hear lots about Daybreak, since that's when it's releasing.

Last edited:

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Folks, time to enter panic mode. No Trails game has gone through April without any update. Kai is very likely not hitting September.
Unless the game is a complete clusterfuck or only halfway done, they can still release unfinished and then fix it. They did it with Kuro 1(30 fps at launch) and Kuro 2 (was rushed bc Ys X wasn't gonna be ready for 2022). At the same time I'm not sure how much I care at this point. This is what the Kuro arc did to me unfortunately.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Unless the game is a complete clusterfuck or only halfway done, they can still release unfinished and then fix it. They did it with Kuro 1(30 fps at launch) and Kuro 2 (was rushed bc Ys X wasn't gonna be ready for 2022). At the same time I'm not sure how much I care at this point. This is what the Kuro arc did to me unfortunately.
Unless, I'm mistaken, this will release on the same platforms as Reverie did, so PS4, PS5, Switch and PC. The two Playstation versions will just run the code that Falcom already made, so it will run exactly as great or terrible as the original did in Japan. The latter two, PC and Switch are done by PH3 and likely technically excellent. Well, the Switch port might be whatever since it's the Switch, but PC port is already done and quite decent from what I have seen.

So the question is just the state of the translation and I hope that NISA at least manages to hit the same (rough) level that Reverie had. Worst case we might have another Ys VIII on our hands if NISA insists on the dead line and the localisation is nowhere near ready

Edit:
Oh sorry, somehow completely missed that the conversation is about Kai

Last edited:

machtia

Oct 29, 2017
Unless, I'm mistaken, this will release on the same platforms as Reverie did, so PS4, PS5, Switch and PC. The two Playstation versions will just run the code that Falcom already made, so it will run exactly as great or terrible as the original did in Japan. The latter two, PC and Switch are done by PH3 and likely technically excellent. Well, the Switch port might be whatever since it's the Switch, but PC port is already done and quite decent from what I have seen.

So the question is just the state of the translation and I hope that NISA at least manages to hit the same (rough) level that Reverie had. Worst case we might have another Ys VIII on our hands if NISA insists on the dead line and the localisation is nowhere near ready
I think the concern is about Kai's release in Japan. Kuro/Daybreak's English release seems on track given the character trailers NISA has been putting out at regular intervals.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Isn't it tradition for Falcom to simply release their annual game come september, whether it's ready or not? Cold Steel 1's initial release was rough. (we're talking about up to 10 seconds of loading before every battle)

It'll still take a year or two before Kai makes it to the west, which is plenty of time for Falcom to patch stuff up. Unless you're one of those folks who jumps on the game the moment the first machine-translated spreadsheet comes out, but then you're not really aiming for a polished experience anyway.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
So now I'm on the actual Act 2 of CS4…

This game is LONG….

And I'm starting to see why Duvalie has a fan base, since she does a face turn in the black workshop

Is this event why that is? Or was this character popular in Japan before CS4? I just always thought they were a bit ridiculous when they showed up before. Here is my previous post about the character Link about the character as they were in CS3.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
So now I'm on the actual Act 2 of CS4…

This game is LONG….

And I'm starting to see why Duvalie has a fan base, since she does a face turn in the black workshop

Is this event why that is? Or was this character popular in Japan before CS4? I just always thought they were a bit ridiculous when they showed up before. Here is my previous post about the character Link about the character as they were in CS3.
Nah. people already liked Duvalie, I also did, I find her really funny and charming.

PhoenixSFT

Oct 25, 2017
Superior, CO
Ugh, playing through CS4 now and I just want one Trails game where every 4th conversation isn't about how much of a playboy someone is or female characters comparing each other's bra sizes. Didn't even make it out of the prologue without a hot springs scene.

Lilification

Mar 28, 2024
Rough translation of the Famitsu article for those interested

Kai no Kiseki: A story where various forces are drawn together. Rushing towards the climax, Heroes from all the over world begin to converge."

"Van Arkride
Voiced by: Daisuke Ono

25 years old. He is a "behind the scenes" fixer by trade. Seemingly dry but down-to-earth, he has his own color of doing things. However, his judgement can be sometimes swayed by sweet treats. He was born with a "demonic core" as the dependent of a Demon Lord. However, after confrontation with this Demon Lord, Van was able to isolate himself and seal the Demon Lord in the space between worlds."

"He fights with a unique style that combines the "Stun Caliber" and one of the three major Eastern martial arts, Kunlun. He also demonstrates incredibly dexterity by incorporating attacks such as "Coin Bullet"."

Van speaking to Mare:
"I thought both Agnes and the Genesis had to be nearby for this?"
(Mare probably coming out of her own will looks like)

Text below is just recounting Kuro 1, key text is: "...The secret of the device, "Genesis", and the relationship it holds with Mare and Grendel who appear to be the key to it. Will this relationship be explored within this work...?"

Producer Comment:
"As one of the main characters within the Kiseki series, he will be the primary force moving the story forward. However, there will be a significant change in his relationship with a certain person that has been present since "Kuro no Kiseki I". Therefore, please pay attention to what actions Van will take during this work!"

GL8FmMoakAAxSQI.jpg

"Agnes Claudel
Voiced by: Miku Ito

17 years old. A second-year student at the prestigious Aramis High School who shows tremendous will despite her modest and cute appearance. A request to seek out her great-grandfather's legacy, the Genesis, led her to the Arkride Solutions Office. This request was fulfiled but she continues to work part-time under the supervision of Van. who she has feelings for."

KEYWORD: Octo = Genesis
"Eight prototype devices created by Agnes' great-grandfather, Dr. Claude Epstein. While being involved with supernatural phenomena, it's purpose is yet unknown. After reading the journal her late great-grandfather left behind, Agnes resolved herself to search for the scattered Genesis. She recovers all of them but they ultimately lose their power."

Character Quote:
"That's why, Van(-san)... don't have any regrets when you think of your loved ones!"

top right:
"My relationship with Van and my father has changed?!"

"Even after all the Genesis were retrieved and the request was fulfillled, Agnes continued to be emplyoyed as an assistant at Arkride Solutions Office. Throughout the prior two Kuro no Kiseki works she has maintained a positive attitude and was able to break the ice in her relationship with Van's ex-girlfriend, Elaine. It also seems that she is getting over the troubled relationship with her father who she had been on uneven terms with since her mother had passed. In fact, her father Roy and mother Sophie and Van and Agnes all have one thing in common, they're eight years apart...."

Agnes top right screenshot:
"How about having some tea at my parent's house once this break is over?"

PRODUCER COMMENT:
"What are some highlights of Agnes in Kai no Kiseki?"

"As the fated "end of Zemuria", written within her great-grandfather's notes, approaches, Agnes who has obtained the eight Genesis will be forced to make a decision. In this work, she will be portrayed as a key individual so please pay attention to her words and actions!"

Agnes to Gramheart:
"Well... I support that plan as well."
(in regards to his space project)

KEYWORD: Startaker Plan
"A groundbreaking project that the Calvard Republic was preparing under the leadership of the new president. The purpose is to launch a communications satellite into space outside of the atmosphere using a guided racket with the goal to achieve manned spaceflight. This plan's significance is said to include countermeasures against environmental disasters and the establishment of a satellite based communications network."

KEYWORD: Zeque Space Force Base
"A large scale facility located in a vast basin deep within the Ishgal Mountain Range, an unexplored region that connects the Southeastern part of the Republic and the Eastern part of Zemuria. It was constructed in secret by the Calvardian nation for the Startaker Plan. Until this plan's announcement, its existence was highly confidential."

GL8FmoJaIAARIyl.jpg

Character Quote:
"For someone to become so mature.. This too is a Master's responsibility."

"He is the only main cast member from "Kuro no Kiseki I" who did not appear in "Kuro no Kiseki II", however, he returns for this work. His resolute and stoic self possesses unparalleled offensive and defensive power."

"Overwhelming power worthy of the title, "Roaring Lion"."

"Bergard Zeman
Voiced by: Akio Otsuka"

"69 years old. A muscular old man who had once served as a priest at the Church. As a master of one of the three great Eastern martial arts, Kunlun, he has many disciples all over the continent and is an important mentor and helper to Van. After the incident in the Republic was resolved, he went to the Eastern part of Zemuria for a specific reason. However, he decided to join Van and his friends again to lend them his strength."

KEYWORD: Septian Church/Gralsritter
"A religious organization with widespread belief across the Zemurian continent. Bergard was once one of the 12 Dominions who stood at its forefront. Currently Gaius, a former member of Thors Military Academy Class VII, has inherited his stigma and is Bergard's successor."

"Gaius Worzel
Voiced by: Kei Hosoya"

"A young man from the nomadic tribes of the Nord Highlands located northeast of the Erebonian Empire. He was a member of Thors Military Academy (Class VII) in the "Sen no Kiseki" series and was sought after by the Gralsritter upon graduation."

second page, top right:
"Will key characters once in the shadows appear alongside Bergard?"

red text:
"Encounters between Masters who continue to wander across this world"

"Bergard has been active as a Dominion for many, many years and his name is well-regarded throughout the continent who among them are those with knowledge of the underworld. Due to this, he seems to be well acquainted with many masters scattered across the world. Of note, in the previous work, "Kuro no Kiseki II", he left the Arkride Solutions Office and traveled to the Eastern part of Zemuria. However, the fact he rejoins with Van and his friends suggests that some kind of movement has begun to occur across this continent..."

Bergard to Ka-Fai:
"That's unfortunate... but I'd at least like to ask for a drink."

Bergard to Judith:
"Perhaps it was held in reserve as a last resort after the defeat of Cassius on the frontlines?"

arrow pointing up to Judith image:
"Bergard has returned to the Arkride Solutions Office, accompanied by Judith and Quatre's companions. The main characters of Kuro no Kiseki will play an active role in this game as well."

PRODUCER COMMENT:
"What are some highlights of Bergard in this work?"

"Bergard makes his first appearance in "Kuro no Kiseki I". In this work, not only will the Church be pivotal but so will many characters who hold the "keys" to this series (who will appear). Therefore, Van and his friends will be able to take advantage of his knowledge and wide network of connections as a former Dominion."

KEYWORD: "Ored"

"An autonomous state located in the north-central part of the Zemurian continent bordering the Principality of Remiferia and the Republic of Calvard. Though it is located further north than Messeldam, it has been reliant on its own agriculture for a long long time due to its warm climate. Most of this autonomous land is made up of agriculture and is widely regarded as a uniquely pastoral region, however, due to increasing influence from foreign investors there are developments such as Marduk present. This scenic area belies a graver undertone."

KEYWORD: "Marduk"

"A security company that has accelerated its growth in recent years. Founded ~10 years ago, the company expertly expanded its initial scope into military operations becoming a PMC. IT possesses and operates unique combat/guidance equipment using advantage technology, the origin of which is unknown.

GL8FnDdagAAPPPF.jpg

"New battle system revealed!"

"This game features new elements in both 'field battles' where players fight while moving on the map and 'command battles' in dedicated fields. Let's provide an overview of them."

"New mechanics of field battle"
"Awakening"

"Some characters, such as Van who has the ability to transform into Grendel, and a Dominion who possesses the Stigmata, can consume their boost gauge during field battles to enter an "awakened" state temporarily increasing their combat capabilities. During "Awaken", your appearance will change, your attack power will increase and your speed will as well. You can additionally recover boost gauge during this state by breaking field objects."

"If the boost gauge on the left side of the screen is full, you can awaken."

"Whereabouts of "Kai no Kiseki" in this series"
"Continuing from the last two Kiseki works, "Kai no Kiseki" is the 13th entry set primarily in the Republic of Calvard within Zemuria, the world of this series. Although this game is a sequel to "Kuro no Kiseki" it is positioned as an entry point to the climax of the entire series similar to previous works such as "Hajimari no Kiseki". Many characters that appeared in this series prior will gather together and appear to create a collective story. According to producer Toshihiro Kondo, approximately up to 90% of Zemuria's story will be depicted by this work. It is important to pay attention to the yet unresolved themes of Zemuria, such as the unmapped Far East and Ouroboros which have been present since the beginning."

"New elements of Command Battle"
"BLTZ System"

"A new mechanic that expands the SCLM system from Kuro no Kiseki. During a command battle, if you perform a normal attack/craft/art while receiving a "Blitz AT bonus", you will trigger either a "BLTZ chain" or "BLTZ support". You can receive various benefits such as follow-up attacks or increased strength to crafts/arts.

"BLTZ Chain"
"If you perform a normal attack, craft or arts with AT bonus Blitz, you will trigger a follow-up attack even if SCLM is not active."

"BLTZ Support"
"If you perform craft, arts or use items with AT bonus Blitz (including recovery and support actions) it will enhance their effects."

Risette image:
"Blitz chain is also called scrum chain, it can be stacked and used to great effectiveness if chained properly."

PRODUCER COMMENT:
"What are some highlights of the new battle system?"
"Awakening also increases attack speed allowing you to enjoy fast-paced action of attacking ruthlessly on the field. Blitz is a new system that further evolves the combat from the previous two games. It's an important mechanic that is key to command battles in this works enhancing each of your available actions in combat."

GL8FnitbIAAvssd.jpg

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Awakening system is interesting since it sounds like it might not apply to every character. There are a bunch of obvious candidates, but a few of the core cast don't really have anything and given how much of the core Solutions agency do have something that could be used for it I'm wondering if the ones that don't might be given something new. It's not hard to imagine Agnes gets something related to the Octgenesis for instance. Also be interesting if something like the random shard wings Elaine uses in her S-Craft might be used or not.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Skimming the description of Kai a bit, it sounds like the series is quickly going towards becoming Sci-Fi based. Hoping future games go full Star Ocean, with a federation and aliens and everything.