• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been browsing for Akatsuki no Kiseki info and became kinda glad that the game doesn't make it to the West. I've consistently managed to avoid spending anything in every gacha game I played so far, but I feel like this game would ruin me.

Like, what the heck is this nonsense:

qv3eL2i.png

I want it. I want them all.

Praise Aidios for her benevolence! After months of lurking, I've finally decided to join this wonderful community! Nice to meetcha⋆

I've been a Kiseki fan ever since Shizuka convinced me to buy FC in 2011 and it's been a journey ever since. You think having to wait all those years for SC would have made me play the titles as soon as possible, but I still haven't played 3rd and CSII for some reason... I intend to play 3rd soon, at least. Might as well just wait for the PC version of CSII, right?

Anyway, that's it for now!

Welcome! Yea, I say the PC version of CS is by far the definitive way to play.

Cruziao

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome OT! I still need to find the time to actually play Cold Steel 1.
Free time is such a rare commodity these days ;_;

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
Praise Aidios for her benevolence! After months of lurking, I've finally decided to join this wonderful community! Nice to meetcha⋆

I've been a Kiseki fan ever since Shizuka convinced me to buy FC in 2011 and it's been a journey ever since. You think having to wait all those years for SC would have made me play the titles as soon as possible, but I still haven't played 3rd and CSII for some reason... I intend to play 3rd soon, at least. Might as well just wait for the PC version of CSII, right?

Anyway, that's it for now!

Welcome! It always nice to see another Kiseki fan! :-) I also heartily recommend playing 3rd before CS2 hits because there's a plot thread which subtly starts in 3rd and providing much context later in CS2.

Last edited:

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
I didn't realise this before, but the Trails of Cold Steel HD mod was updated last month, with plenty of sharper glyphs and mini-portraits and Thors Academy map upgraded to HD. When I played CS1 with the mod at its first release, it seems pretty rough since going into the camp menu resulting in major stutter. It doesn't happen after we traverse the menu at least once since the texture will be cached, but it definitely feels jarring. And this is on a somewhat decent rig (1080Ti). There's also 4K portraits mod available, which I assume will tank the performance even further, so I didn't try it. Apart from that, playing CS1 with this mod is definitely feels like the definitive edition.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
This refers to a post Shouta made on gaf. Contains endgame Sen 3 spoilers
About what can Calvard put up against Soldats being extremely powerful.
The obvious answer would be if they could manage to have Ramda work on machinery.
Having tanks and air ships with complete stealth and even maybe mirage abilities would be insanely op.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to be back on here sorry it took so long to post I've been playing Mario non stop since I got it mid afternoon yesterday XD

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
New banners have been added to the OP. If you have suggestions for substantial additions for the OP, please PM me and I'll forward them to the OT editors.

Sadly this album's the only great release of unused Kiseki music. Here's another classic which should have played between Krone Pass and Ruan:

Maybe one day we'll get more unused track releases, something I asked Kondo about at AnimeExpo 2017 incidentally.

Hi people
subscribed to this thread again, all is well
Glad you can use this again.

SnowCrow

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realise this before, but the Trails of Cold Steel HD mod was updated last month, with plenty of sharper glyphs and mini-portraits and Thors Academy map upgraded to HD. When I played CS1 with the mod at its first release, it seems pretty rough since going into the camp menu resulting in major stutter. It doesn't happen after we traverse the menu at least once since the texture will be cached, but it definitely feels jarring. And this is on a somewhat decent rig (1080Ti). There's also 4K portraits mod available, which I assume will tank the performance even further, so I didn't try it. Apart from that, playing CS1 with this mod is definitely feels like the definitive edition.
Woah, didn't know this had HD texture mods available. Thanks for the links.
Had originally played it on Vita so I was already planning on replaying it on PC to experience it again without all the slowdowns.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just dropping by to say hi... finally able to register and get approved. Looking forward to some Trails discussion in the future and sharing the pain of waiting for that Sen III localisation announcement :(

Astrael

Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Finishing up chapter 2 in Sen3 tonight, I think, I'm really getting into it. So much I want to talk about, already :x

I wish I could play a bit faster but I have to look up a lot of more complex kanji I haven't learned yet which is once every few lines lol. It's slow but it's actually been helping me with my actual Japanese class (a lot of vocabulary/kanji is relevant).

Kamon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The series really deserves more attention than it gets. I mean it's not like they're ahead of the curve in terms of graphics, but the amount of detail they put into the story and characters to craft this rich, overarching narrative is on another level.

Right? It's absolutely wild to me that this isn't considered one of the big greats. Sure, the games are beloved in niche circles... But somehow they haven't managed to explode out into the 'mainstream' RPG player awareness. Heck, there are long dead series that have more mindshare than Trails does.

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right? It's absolutely wild to me that this isn't considered one of the big greats. Sure, the games are beloved in niche circles... But somehow they haven't managed to explode out into the 'mainstream' RPG player awareness. Heck, there are long dead series that have more mindshare than Trails does.

Neptunia
games regularly outsell Kiseki games on Steam.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Glad you could join us, Enforcer number... Something!

Of course you wouldn't disclose that, would you? :X

My number is top secret @_@

It's an injustice the series isn't as successful as we hope it to be (in the West) but I feel like its popularity is slowly climbing. We just gotta keep recommending the series. i didn't really get into Trails in the Sky many years ago because of how much of a slow burn it is. It wasn't until a few years later I gave it another shot due to the Kiseki community explaining why the games are slow like that (wordbuilding/lore, character development etc.)

Se7enSword

Oct 25, 2017
GA, USA
I think it's mainly to do with marketing, and well the fact that casual gamers generally like modern graphics.

There's also the factor that people buy the first game but don't buy the sequel because backlog syndrome.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Cold Steel did well in getting a larger audience in the games.

I hope when we shift to Calvard that there will be a new flux. The subreddit has also been growing.

It can all go to shit if sen IV fails to deliver of course, but yeah there's plently of growth.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I had a lot I wanted say about Cold Steel 1 the other day but I'll just leave it with the final dungeon has my goat Falcom music

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
My number is top secret @_@

But I still can recognise your face from this collection of insidious individuals:

33592379033_b6881edeeb_o.jpg

I think part of reason why Trails (I'm speaking about Sky specifically) didn't immediately explode in the west is because our protagonist isn't some sort of world-saviour messiah destined to bring mankind into the enlightenment, commonly found in most RPGs out there. She's a simple bracer with a past whom still needs growing up before she can be an adult. To most people, she's less interesting than most RPG protagonist.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Not to mention that there are very few people actually finishing the first game, judging by the Steam cheevos, which sure doesn't help to sell the sequels.

I also think it's because of steam and TitS being a fairly old game. For a new game Ys VIII surprised me with about a 20% completion rate. It's also at least as long as TitS FC.

It might be cool to compare the trophies with the achievements. For trails we have Cold Steel.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think part of reason why Trails (I'm speaking about Sky specifically) didn't immediately explode in the west is because our protagonist isn't some sort of world-saviour messiah destined to bring mankind into the enlightenment, commonly found in most RPGs out there. She's a simple bracer with a past whom still needs growing up before she can be an adult. To most people, she's less interesting than most RPG protagonist.

Estelle shines brighter and more beautifully than any boring old sun. I feel bad for anyone who rejects her light.

Favorite Estelle line:
64-MicOeJm.png
"It's time to take back my man with GIRL POWER!"

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Is that template that popular with the masses? I feel like there's quite a number of popular JRPG series without the "chosen savior" thing.

Also, who is Walter fooling with that uniform.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say now that it is imperative to finish the Sky series before you play Cold Steel III. Go back and finish them up if you haven't! It may have been OK to start with CS1 and CS2 as your first games, but from here on out the real joy of the interconnected universe is apparent!

Kamon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's an injustice the series isn't as successful as we hope it to be (in the West) but I feel like its popularity is slowly climbing. We just gotta keep recommending the series. i didn't really get into Trails in the Sky many years ago because of how much of a slow burn it is. It wasn't until a few years later I gave it another shot due to the Kiseki community explaining why the games are slow like that (wordbuilding/lore, character development etc.)

Yeah, I agree. I've definitely been seeing more mentions of it lately. I bought FC during a Steam sale on Christmas 2015, and finally ended up playing it... gosh, I think I actually played FC in August? Wow, I've been on a really long Trails kick. But yeah, part of the reason I finally ended up playing it was because I had been seeing more and more mentions of it and just couldn't stand being out of the loop any longer haha. I'm so glad I did! Keep fighting the good fight, y'all. You dragged me in with you, at least. :)

There's also the factor that people buy the first game but don't buy the sequel because backlog syndrome.

Yep, can confirm. I'd seen the other games around quite a few times since buying FC, on sale or on a huge Steam store home banner, but didn't buy them because I hadn't played FC yet.

(gosh I love that image) But uh... Is that really the case? I usually see people complaining about the "JRPG messiah" more often than praising it.

Favorite Estelle line:
64-MicOeJm.png

Yesss, that quote is the best! I lost it laughing when she said that, hahahaha.

Oct 27, 2017

I....don't think that's true? The big reason I think the Sky games didn't catch on is that they're honestly just not very friendly games to play. Trails is a series that just isn't paced or written like a lot of JRPGs. It doesn't have immediately obvious hooks a lot of these kinds of games do. Legacy/fidelity for FF, overwhelming style for Persona, hyper otaku focused for Neptunia. Trails just is what it is. It takes its time(sometimes to its own detriment) and you only get the full picture of why it's good after you spend a lot of time with them. The entire series requires patience few people seem to have but I'd say Sky is the most extreme example in the series. Like, FC sold extremely well on PC but I believe XSEED said at one point that the vast majority of players didn't even make it past Bose. It's just not a series for everyone and even the more streamlined/modern CS doesn't have anywhere near the level of mass appeal other giants in the genre have in the West.

That makes a lot more sense to me as to why it isn't popular than any narrative about the protagonist.

Cruziao

Oct 25, 2017
Estelle shines brighter and more beautifully than any boring old sun. I feel bad for anyone who rejects her light.

Favorite Estelle line:
64-MicOeJm.png
Estelle is the best,
my default mode is to hate every 'genki' character because they annoy me so damn much.
But Estelle single handedly turned that around.
The farewell scene... wow it's amazing what falcom did with Estelle. That scene made me into waterworks T_T

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Trails has gotten popular enough to have a well-known critical reputation. Many fans of the genre know what it's like by now and want to schedule the best window of time possible to get into the games on their own terms. For XSEED, this doesn't translate well to large sales at launch outside the captured fan community. They're aware, I presume, of how irregularly players learn to like or love something as straightforward and unhurried as FC, so there's also no fire-sale rush to market the games too much or punch above weight (which Falcom also realizes).

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Trails is just unfriendly for newcomers. Most JRPG fans are used to jumping into a franchise from a random point but when they try to get into Trails, everyone will tell them "hey, go back to that 2005 game first". And frankly, that 2005 game is not all that engaging until the very end. My first Trails game was Zero and I went in blind. I guess that was a bless for me because if I started with FC, I'd probably drop it in favor of something more exciting. I admit I missed some connection when I played Zero first without the knowledge of Sky trilogy, but it got me hooked to the franchise, and that's the most important thing.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
Is that template that popular with the masses? I feel like there's quite a number of popular JRPG series without the "chosen savior" thing.

But uh... Is that really the case? I usually see people complaining about the "JRPG messiah" more often than praising it.

Trails is a series that just isn't paced or written like a lot of JRPGs. It doesn't have immediately obvious hooks a lot of these kinds of games do. Legacy/fidelity for FF, overwhelming style for Persona, hyper otaku focused for Neptunia.

Fair points from you guys. I guess what I'm trying to say was personally, the first impression matters a lot when it comes to an RPG protagonist. Estelle is not what I expected when I started playing Trails, and the way the games mechanics was presented made me wonder if having a "latently powerful" character would help its popularity. Only after some time investment with the game I fell in love with it and felt that it wouldn't have worked without Estelle.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Estelle is the best,
my default mode is to hate every 'genki' character because they annoy me so damn much.
The farewell scene... wow it's amazing what falcom did with Estelle. That scene made me into waterworks T_T

It's cuz "genki" or "tomboy" is a room where you can find her, not a cell where she's relegated to like many characters in lowbrow anime.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yar, even in its own series, Sky is just the most laid back about its plot hook or what not. When I wrote those blurbs describing each game for the OP of this thread, I kinda struggled to make Sky's premise sounds interesting, haha.

I fell for Estelle-Joshua dynamics right away though.

Estelle is the best,
I love that scene to bits.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Hello everyone! Finally I was able to join, I'm thrilled to be able to participate with all of KisekiERA.

I finished Trails of Cold Steel yesterday (PC) and I loved it, I seriously cannot wait for CS2.

Pedetemptim

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a question for people who played the Crossbell games. Do any characters or monsters appearing in them possess an ability to cast orbal arts without a charging time?
Kurt Nardin can drop instant Shadow Spears. Instant casting is one of the benefits of Overdrive, granted to an Awakener and secondary contractors. All Cryptids can cast high end arts without charging. I've been wondering if this is a plot point, and if there's some sort of connection between the place where Cryptids come from, the power source of the Divine Knights, and Kurt's ancestors who developed his fighting style.