• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
As for other questions that didn't make the cut but were answered with the same amount of sincerity:
- Is Georg Weissmann a pleasant person? The simple answer is: yes he totally is.
- How does Estelle Bright feel about sneakers? The simple answer is: she friggin' hates them and everything they stand for with the fury of a thousand shining suns.
- What's Dorothee's singlemost defining trait? The simple answer is: her homophobia.
Wat

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I'll at least assume that most folks getting this will either have already played most other Trails games or those who haven't will at least look up some reviews online, about 99% of them probably mentioning you don't jump into this one blind, no matter what NISA's PR-guys claim.
After reading a lot of posts from here about the series I'm myself going through the Sky games currently, for the first time. I intend to play those and, if I can, the crossbell titles before even playing CSIII.

I'll say I'm glad the Ghargav games seem to be non-required. I do wonder if they're good though.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
The western releases of the Ghagarv games (which Japanese speaking Falcom fans claimed were fairly good for their time) were notorious for having some of the worst English localizations this side of Zero Wing.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming there's nothing illegal involved, how do I actually go about getting Ao on PC that will work with the translation? I think Zero is more straightforward?

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Hello!

So I started trails of cold steel without playing trails in the sky because I don't have enough time to play all the games for now and it interested me more than the Sky trilogy. I'm digging it so far (only 5 hours in) and i've been told trails of cold steel is a good entry point in the series.

However, I heard that playing the Sky series is critical before playing trails of cold steel 3 which comes out later this year, is that true? If that's the case then I'd probably stop playing cold steel, wait until I have more free time, and play the Sky trilogy first, since i'm pretty early in cold steel anyway.

Also, there are 2 other games, Zero and Ao, are these games available on PC, translated? Are these also critical to the story? Where can I find them? Can't seem to find them on steam... I really wanna get into the series but there are just so many games and i'm feeling lost and overwhelmed :<

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Hello!

So I started trails of cold steel without playing trails in the sky because I don't have enough time to play all the games for now and it interested me more than the Sky trilogy. I'm digging it so far (only 5 hours in) and i've been told trails of cold steel is a good entry point in the series.

However, I heard that playing the Sky series is critical before playing trails of cold steel 3 which comes out later this year, is that true? If that's the case then I'd probably stop playing cold steel, wait until I have more free time, and play the Sky trilogy first, since i'm pretty early in cold steel anyway.

Also, there are 2 other games, Zero and Ao, are these games available on PC, translated? Are these also critical to the story? Where can I find them? Can't seem to find them on steam... I really wanna get into the series but there are just so many games and i'm feeling lost and overwhelmed :<

First, welcome to the thread, and to the dangerously addicting connected universe of Trails. So to answer your questions.

You can play CS1 and CS2 first, this is perfectly fine. Don't feel too much pressure. After beating CS2, I recommend going back to Sky and finishing that whole trilogy in one fell swoop.
You can also stop playing CS1 and go to Sky right away and finish that trilogy first, that's also fine. After beating Sky, you can play CS1 and CS2 without worrying that much.
By the time you finish either of these options, Geofront should be ready with their re-edit of Zero, which will be available for you to play. Unless you play games quickly. Once you do that, it'll be up to you if you wanna play a very poorly edited Ao, or wait for the Geofront Ao edit.

As long as you're comfortable with playing on PC, you should be OK to go with either option of playing Sky first or playing CS1 and CS2 first.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
First, welcome to the thread, and to the dangerously addicting connected universe of Trails. So to answer your questions.

You can play CS1 and CS2 first, this is perfectly fine. Don't feel too much pressure. After beating CS2, I recommend going back to Sky and finishing that whole trilogy in one fell swoop.
You can also stop playing CS1 and go to Sky right away and finish that trilogy first, that's also fine. After beating Sky, you can play CS1 and CS2 without worrying that much.
By the time you finish either of these options, Geofront should be ready with their re-edit of Zero, which will be available for you to play. Unless you play games quickly. Once you do that, it'll be up to you if you wanna play a very poorly edited Ao, or wait for the Geofront Ao edit.

As long as you're comfortable with playing on PC, you should be OK to go with either option of playing Sky first or playing CS1 and CS2 first.

Thank you for your answer

I'm probably going to stop playing cold steel then, and play the Sky trilogy first since I read that CS1/CS2 spoil some of the events of the Sky trilogy, and that there are characters from the Sky trilogy appearing in CS. If I need to play all the games anyway, might aswell start from the very beginning.

Also, i'm guessing Zero and Ao are also a must-play before CS3 then? :P

I didn't know about those Geofront edits, i'm going to follow their progression, seems like they're almost done with Zero.

And yes, PC is the support I use the most, and I already bought all of the Sky / CS games on steam :D

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for your answer

I'm probably going to stop playing cold steel then, and play the Sky trilogy first since I read that CS1/CS2 spoil some of the events of the Sky trilogy, and that there are characters from the Sky trilogy appearing in CS. If I need to play all the games anyway, might aswell start from the very beginning.

Also, i'm guessing Zero and Ao are also a must-play before CS3 then? :P

I didn't know about those Geofront edits, i'm going to follow their progression, seems like they're almost done with Zero.

And yes, PC is the support I use the most, and I already bought all of the Sky / CS games on steam :D

In my opinion, you could get away with playing CS3 without playing Crossbell first, but it would be a big damper on your enjoyment. I feel like if you're having fun playing Trails games, it's best not to rush or compromise, and take your time to play Crossbell games before playing CS3. By the time you play all these games leisurely at your own pace, we'll probably have a CS3 PC announcement, which will make your life even easier.

Almost anyone who has played every game will tell you to start with Sky first and playing them first definitely enhances Cold Steel and makes that whole series better (especially the 3rd Sky game). So I think you're making the right choice.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Hello!

If you're just getting in it, then you shouldn't rush to Cold Steel 3. Just chug at it on your own pace.

I recommend continuing your cold steel playtrough and if you like it you probably want to play Cold Steel 2 next.

There's room for playing the Sky games between CS2 and CS3 as well.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Thanks guys, my decision is taken, I'm going to start with the Sky trilogy and drop my cold steel playthrough and restart it once i'm done with the Sky games. :D

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
In my opinion, you could get away with playing CS3 without playing Crossbell first, but it would be a big damper on your enjoyment.

I really hope they give us an official means to play the Crossbell series. Because I don't want to go through the headache of using a translation patch.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Given that NISA's now telling us that CS3 is a fine jump-in point, I'm not keeping my hopes up on that one.

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Of course they're saying CS3 is a fine jump-in point, the people being interviewed were NISA's senior associate producer and senior business development director.

Anyway, I gave in and started playing Zero. The translation's a hot mess but I'm loving the game!

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Of course they're saying CS3 is a fine jump-in point, the people being interviewed were NISA's senior associate producer and senior business development director.

Anyway, I gave in and started playing Zero. The translation's a hot mess but I'm loving the game!
Honestly as someone who suffered through that translation, I'd have recommended waiting for the new fan translation to be done. The Ao translation out now is thankfully much better

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly as someone who suffered through that translation, I'd have recommended waiting for the new fan translation to be done. The Ao translation out now is thankfully much better
I also wouldn't recommend the current Zero translation, but desperate times call for desperate measures... I'll definitely replay the game when Geofront's work is finished.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Falcom fans: We want good translations!
NISA: Archeozoic Big Hole
NISA: We'll do better next time.
NISA: Hikes of Frost Iron III

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Given that NISA's now telling us that CS3 is a fine jump-in point, I'm not keeping my hopes up on that one.
In fairness is this not how exactly Falcom wants people to experience the games? As in to play the latest one available and then go back to all the rest. Not that I'd agree personally.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
It's PR speaking, not Falcom, to sell more of the most recent games. Of course they won't push for their older titles if it makes them less revenue than their newer ones.
Sorry but I mean this was what literally happened with the psp games if I remember correctly and would be how Falcom would like it to be in general.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
In fairness is this not how exactly Falcom wants people to experience the games? As in to play the latest one available and then go back to all the rest. Not that I'd agree personally.

CS1 was advertised as a jump-in point to the series and it went out of its way to obfuscate the details about what exactly happened in Crossbell and Liberl for the benefit of newer players. CS3, from what I've heard, certainly doesn't do that and casually gives several bigger plot points from previous arcs (and this one, naturally) away.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
They just want their games to sell lol.

EDIT:

<3 Laura! Can't wait to be completely busted with how ridiculously strong she is.
Took a few days break (cause of another game) but now i'm diving right back in Trail in the Sky!
Last time I played Olivier had just joined me. I went to Nebel Valley to clear up the monster quest and find the bear claw. Now I'll continue the story.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Replayed Cold Steel 1 this month, finished Trails in the Sky SC this morning. Loved the story. On to 3rd now. Trying to burn through as much as possible before the release of Cold Steel 3 so I can be prepared!

I'm not the biggest fan of the Sky games' combat, perhaps because I started with Cold Steel 1 and 2 - but the story and characters are still top quality. I might have to jump into Zero and Ao after 3rd even though the translations aren't very good.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
You can try waiting a bit for the Geofront translation for Zero and if it turns out it won't be done in time you can always go with the leaked beta in a pinch.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Just made it to the royal academy. Laughed out loud at Joshua dressed like a princess.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017

neat, though to my ears he sounds a little off

will Ashley Burch return to voice Millium? Tune in next time to find out...

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic
Part of me is hoping some of these lines aren't in the actual game, I remember Cold Steel being cheesy at times, but I don't remember it being "protector of justice" kinda cheesy lol

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
If Rean can say cheesy stuff I'll let Machias slide and say cheesy stuff too.

Also NISA if you're reading this can you please replace the song on your LOH website with this?

Thanks

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if this is gonna be the last of any Kiseki ports XSEED handles. Outside of maybe Trails in the Sky trilogy coming to PS4 I don't see them handling anything with the series going forward.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hello, y'all!

I used to read (mostly) and post in this thread a couple of years ago, but as conversations started drifting more towards the Cold Steel games and I had not played any of those I stopped following the thread because I didn't have much to say.
But today I finished CS1 and I think I can go back to checking this place out 🤗 I already bought CS2, but I'm giving myself some time to digest the first game.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
Hello, y'all!

I used to read (mostly) and post in this thread a couple of years ago, but as conversations started drifting more towards the Cold Steel games and I had not played any of those I stopped following the thread because I didn't have much to say.
But today I finished CS1 and I think I can go back to checking this place out 🤗 I already bought CS2, but I'm giving myself some time to digest the first game.

Hey Pedro! You may want to check out the recent Cold Steel 1 thread as well:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...ll-under-the-scope-of-our-field-study.108020/

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Preordered the early enrollment edition of CSIII on Amazon. I'm dipping so hard for this serie. I almost feel bad for having slept on it all these years. ._.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yeah, that edition but I think i'll pass, it's probably like 130$CAD and I have two shipping options, one that cost 67$ and the other 94$. I think i'll stick to what I picked haha. :P

I didn't expect to be at the final chapter already! I have to head to Grancel now and boy did a lot happen in C.3. I only recently realized who Olivier was then I got a "duh" moment even more when his bodyguard showed up! I'll probably try to finish it tomorrow then I'll most likely purchase Trails in the Sky SC!

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't expect to be at the final chapter already! I have to head to Grancel now and boy did a lot happen in C.3. I only recently realized who Olivier was then I got a "duh" moment even more when his bodyguard showed up! I'll probably try to finish it tomorrow then I'll most likely purchase Trails in the Sky SC!

Keep us updated!