• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Currently playing Trails of Cold Steel II, so not quite ready for CS3 yet.

In regards to
Divine Knights and Rean's super powered evil side, considering the Valimar synchronizes his power with Rean in the sense they share damage and whatnot. Is there any indication what would happen if Rean was to enter his White Hair / Red Eyes state while piloting Valimar?
Does the game at all touch on this?

Trails of Cold Steel IV is the last game in the Erebonian Arc right? So they did Gagharv, Liberl, Crossbell, and Erebonia. I'm guessing the next series of games might be the Calvard region?

Gagharv isn't part of the current series.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
I've been replaying some of The 3rd later doors and I have one question regarding Send III & IV. Just a Yes/No answer if possible please.
do we get to learn more about Cantarella? Seeing him break the 4th wall at the of The 3rd makes me always wonder if he is to be taken seriously or more like a nod to the fans

coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
Fingers crossed the testing phase for Zero is around a month. I can't imagine it'd be shorter than that. I just want to be able to play while I have some time off during the holidays.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
EHYAvQVW4AEEKw3.jpg

Soon.™

I'm confused. So this isn't just a fan translation?

Will I be able to buy localized Zero (and Ao)?

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
I'm confused. So this isn't just a fan translation?

Will I be able to buy localized Zero (and Ao)?

It's a fan translation. But there is a guide in how to purchase Zero in Japanese and apply the patch, so you can play in English legally. And their work quality is excellent, rivalling the Xssed translations and porting QoL features to the game.

Regarding Ao (the sequel), there is a translation which was released by a different group and it's good, so many of us will play the both games one after another when Zero releases.

I don't think Geofront (the ones dining zero) ever said that they will do Ao. And because this was a hard and long project I don't expect them to jump to the next one so soon.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
It's 100% a fan translation. No you will not be able to buy it localized.

Then I'm still confused. Why is it available via the Steam store?

It's a fan translation. But there is a guide in how to purchase Zero in Japanese and apply the patch, so you can play in English legally. And their work quality is excellent, rivalling the Xssed translations and porting QoL features to the game.

Regarding Ao (the sequel), there is a translation which was released by a different group and it's good, so many of us will play the both games back to back when Zero releases.

I don't think Geofront (the ones dining zero) ever said that they will do Ao. And because this was a hard and long project I don't expect them to jump to the next one so soon.

Thank you for being more descriptive with your response. That makes more sense.

I did not know Ao was not available via them. But isn't Ao the one that isn't available to purchase easily?

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Then I'm still confused. Why is it available via the Steam store?

It's not. They're telling you that you can add it to your steam library, and they made a bunch of wallpapers for the steam library page so it actually looks nice. (you can add non steam games to the steam library, so you can use the steam overlay with it)

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Trails of Cold Steel IV is the last game in the Erebonian Arc right? So they did Gagharv, Liberl, Crossbell, and Erebonia. I'm guessing the next series of games might be the Calvard region?
Gagharv is its own separate thing from the Trails series. It's part of the "The Legend of Heroes" franchise, but it's not connected to the ongoing Trails subsection of games.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Gagharv is its own separate thing from the Trails series. It's part of the "The Legend of Heroes" franchise, but it's not connected to the ongoing Trails subsection of games.
If I understand it correctly, then in a sense the Gagharv games served as an inspiration for the Kiseki games, in that they were the first time in the Legend of Heroes franchise that focus was made on story-telling, and in particular in telling a story that spanned multiple games. Kondo speaks very fondly of them, for instance.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I think Floofy and Gu4n have said they don't intend to be involved (at least heavily) with an Ao project. But most of the rest of the team has said they want to tackle it, but they don't know how or when.

Zerker specifically has said he wanted to work on it. And one of the hackers/programmers, either Ribose or Jose, said they would possibly do a technical patch to add the features, fixes, etc that they are implementing in Zero, even if it doesn't have any significant editing.

Regardless, nobody is doing anything with it until Zero is finished and out.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
And one of the hackers/programmers, either Ribose or Jose, said they would possibly do a technical patch to add the features, fixes, etc that they are implementing in Zero, even if it doesn't have any significant editing.
I think this is the most people should expect to happen if they want to play on PC, and can be implemented sooner rather than later.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Really want to check out this series sometime. Watched a review last night on the Crossbell games and they look great. Love the setting of Crossbell.

Has Falcom said anything about wanting to release any of the games on Switch, besides the mobile game? Ill probably get the Trails of Cold Steel 1 on PS4. But id really like to check out Trails of the Sky, and I dont have a working Vita atm, and Id rather not play them on PC.

Capndrake

Oct 28, 2017
Really want to check out this series sometime. Watched a review last night on the Crossbell games and they look great. Love the setting of Crossbell.

Has Falcom said anything about wanting to release any of the games on Switch, besides the mobile game? Ill probably get the Trails of Cold Steel 1 on PS4. But id really like to check out Trails of the Sky, and I dont have a working Vita atm, and Id rather not play them on PC.
Falcom's not gonna port anything themselves, so it'd be entirely up to other companies to do it for them. If it was up to NISA I imagine they'd only be willing to port CS3 since it's the newest English entry (and they insist it's a fine entry point, of course), and I don't think XSEED or anyone else would be interested in porting the Sky (or Crossbell) games since they're too old by now. I think the best you could hope for would be XSEED porting the PS4 releases of CS1 and 2, but if that was in the cards I think they'd have announced it by now.

If any games get remakes that'd be a different story, but I don't think that'll happen during the Switch's life cycle.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Im sure you guys get that question a lot lol.

The Crossbell games remind me of some of the older Gundam series lol. I know thats weird, but it just looks like something you would have seen in the 90s Gundam shows setting and character wise. Kinda want to play Zero and see how lost I am without playing the Trails in the Sky games.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If I understand it correctly, then in a sense the Gagharv games served as an inspiration for the Kiseki games, in that they were the first time in the Legend of Heroes franchise that focus was made on story-telling, and in particular in telling a story that spanned multiple games. Kondo speaks very fondly of them, for instance.
Gagharv was more than just an inspiration for the development of Kiseki, White Witch is the entire reason Kondo became a game developer. He was hired at Falcom to do web stuff because he showed his worth with a WW fansite he maintained.
From a more general standpoint we don't hear a lot of people talk about Gagharv but i think it is important to view as one of the earlier fleshed out narratives to be found.

mowmow

Aug 22, 2018
I just recently beat SC and currently playing through FC. And man i do enjoy the little side story scenes that occur so in FC. They just bring so much more life into these characters and world i've known for years. (Ive beaten sky, cs1 and cs2 and currently playing them all before i launch into CS3)

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I just recently beat SC and currently playing through FC. And man i do enjoy the little side story scenes that occur so in FC. They just bring so much more life into these characters and world i've known for years. (Ive beaten sky, cs1 and cs2 and currently playing them all before i launch into CS3)

Just to clarify, but you played SC first and now going through FC?

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
did you manage to defeat her?
One of my favorite fights in the whole series. Ao's final chapter is so good.
Yeah... after my third attempt, when I realized my usual methods weren't going to cut it. I switched over to relying on Zero Field and buffed up Arts spam. Well, got their HP down to half anyway before I got one-shotted.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Just picked up Trails of Cold Steel for PS4 to start with. Does the main character get his Gundam in it?

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I wish everyone in Sky would stop worshiping Casius' ass constantly, I've got the message that he was a good general by now

Erpy

May 31, 2018
I wish everyone in Sky would stop worshiping Casius' ass constantly, I've got the message that he was a good general by now

He was a colonel in the day, actually. And Cassius' ass being extremely worshippable is a major plot point in the Sky games, so of course they're gonna press the point repeatedly.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
You'll have to play to find out. My advice is just enjoy the game on your own pace, talk to npc's, do the sidequests that pique your interest and use the turbo when needed.
Yea ill be spending a lot of time just figuring out what the world is about. This story and setting really appeals to me. I just wish I had checked out Trails of the Sky while I still had a working Vita. I was sold on the Cold Steel games when I saw the trailers for 2, but I was waiting for the PS4 ports and forgot about them until 3 came out lol.

Really hope the Crossbell games make it to Steam in the future. I will totally play those on the PC if thats the only place they are available. I know thats weird, but the setting and characters look way more appealing in them compared to Sky for some reason.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
The Sky cast was awesome though. Lots of fans consider them superior to the Erebonia arc cast due to the interactions being slightly less main character centric.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
SC needs to stop teasing me with best character Kevin making brief appearances and just let him join my party

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Yea ill be spending a lot of time just figuring out what the world is about. This story and setting really appeals to me. I just wish I had checked out Trails of the Sky while I still had a working Vita. I was sold on the Cold Steel games when I saw the trailers for 2, but I was waiting for the PS4 ports and forgot about them until 3 came out lol.

Really hope the Crossbell games make it to Steam in the future. I will totally play those on the PC if thats the only place they are available. I know thats weird, but the setting and characters look way more appealing in them compared to Sky for some reason.
While I've enjoyed each arc's cast, Crossbell's setting and characters have been among the most interesting to me as well.
The Sky cast was awesome though. Lots of fans consider them superior to the Erebonia arc cast due to the interactions being slightly less main character centric.
Though one could cite the excessive focus on Rean via bonding events as an issue with the Erebonia cast, I would say the fact that the original Class VII in the first Cold Steel was as large as it was right out of the gate was something that didn't help either in respect to character focus or developing attachments.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017

The dude is fucking superman...knows EVERYBODY and also has some ridiculous feats to boot; the shit he does in SC is just stoopid!!!

Any I beat SC and man what an ending;
First; Loewe was A PAIN IN THE ASS!!! that fight was absolute bullshit!! dude crank out his S-craft like 4 times...I just got lucky one time as he spit his body like 5 times in a row, I also cheese it by feeding Kevin all the zeram powers/capsules to keep cranking out his S-craft. was cloe to jjust hitting the continue button

Final bosses was easy in comparison just long and a little chessey with whole floor removable tiles; "YS I throwback?"

Kevin is a fuckin G!!! also a scary motherfucker with that salt arrow!!! What wat fr Wiessman to go!

And of course who saves the fucking day!?!? No other than Cassius flying in on a fucking dragon! LOL!!!

might be an unpopular opinion here but I did skip 3rd; Granted I did watch a nearly 2 hour sumamry of the story and more importantly the "Sun/Star Doors" some of it was already spoiled for me since my entry point to the series was ToCS but

Poor Renee...I know it was implied in SC what she endured the detail was just UGH!! she never had a chance :(

That salt pale is fucking scary!! like holy shit! this thing just popped out of nowhere and destroy a third of a country...again playing ToCS 1&2 hit with "ah that's where Sara comes from" Also the Church now seems like they are a dangerous bunch; if Kevin can create an arrow with that salt who knows what them or other people can create with it; I'm sure Ouroboros has their hands in that as well.

now the meeting of the Anguis was interesting....don't know what to make of it for now but Campanella did secure the Aurole for Ouroboros?

Though I could get a better take on this information of I just play the 3rd but I was a little impatient...already started Zero(even though the patch around the corner) it's rough but following a walkthrough and it easy to follow for now.

Oct 27, 2017
WcxsCV3.jpg

It will never not be the funniest thing in the world to me that this blockhead 15 year old boy mustache having sitcom dad is one of the most powerful people in the universe.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished SC. Started the first two hours of 3rd and I'm liking it, but I'll sadly not be able to make a lot of progress over the next week or two due to university. Still hoping I can finish 3rd close to, or around the time of the Zero fan translation release.

3rd question:
Out of curiosity, how long is 3rd if I focus on all of the doors? (or alternatively, plot relevant doors, not 100% sure how they work).

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Finished SC. Started the first two hours of 3rd and I'm liking it, but I'll sadly not be able to make a lot of progress over the next week or two due to university. Still hoping I can finish 3rd close to, or around the time of the Zero fan translation release.

3rd question:
Out of curiosity, how long is 3rd if I focus on all of the doors? (or alternatively, plot relevant doors, not 100% sure how they work).

I 100%ed 3rd, and it took me around 45 hours.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
The 3rd isn't that long compared to the other games. It is also the least grindy.
And if you hit a wall, there is a certain character that it's so stupidly broken that can pretty much solo the whole game.

Oct 25, 2017
The 3rd isn't that long compared to the other games. It is also the least grindy.
And if you hit a wall, there is a certain character that it's so stupidly broken that can pretty much solo the whole game.
100% interested in who this is, if you don't mind spoiler tagging, or telling me not to open the spoiler tag until a certain chapter that's fine too.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
100% interested in who this is, if you don't mind spoiler tagging, or telling me not to open the spoiler tag until a certain chapter that's fine too.
It's not exactly a secret. You'll notice once you get the character. But just to be sure. I don't remember the exact chapter he joins, but he is an old "friend" from FC and SC and a practitioner of the Eight Leaves One Blade style
Colonel Richard. He hits like a truck and it's crazy fast. You can basically spam your crafts to victory.
Add to mix other OP characters like Renne or Kevin and you are set for the whole game.